You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2008, 08:05 AM   #3121
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

Cloverfield
Only saw the trailer and read some small previews, that's it! So didn't know what to expect...

Loved every minute of it!

9/10

National Treasure 2
Good popcorn movie. The kidnapping was kinda lame, but still an ok movie...

7/10

Spoiler:
OMG, Diane Kruger is hot!
Old 02-06-2008, 03:07 PM   #3122
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Sweeny Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
I'm not a huge fan of the underlying musical (I don't think the words fit the tune properly in a good half of the songs), but this is an exceptionally good film. So long as you're okay with an almost comic amount of gore, there's good acting, some beautiful imagery, and a really good sense of weirdness. And it has both Johnny Depp and Alan Rickman in it, so it's got to be good...

(I went to the cinema today for the first time in a good two and a half years or so.)

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:47 PM   #3123
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Basil the Great Mouse Detective
(This film has various titles in different markets.)

It's not classic Disney, but it is enjoyable Disney. A nice mouse-based version of Sherlock Holmes (adapted from a book series), and a reasonable - if slightly silly - story within that context. Not as well known as it should be.

Old 02-08-2008, 04:50 AM   #3124

"Basil of Baker Street" was originally the title apparently, but marketing made them change it. Pity, cause it's a lot more distinctive. And I agree, not one of the greats but an entertaining film.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:32 AM   #3125
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

I saw yesterday the opening night of Dark Floors.

The horror movie by the Finnish monster rock group Lordi.

It was certainly a funny movie, like unintentionally bad and cliched.
If you have the change to go see it, I'm not recommending it to you unless you like bad horror movies.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:28 AM   #3126

I just saw the movie *transformers* on dvd. It was not as typical american with heavy action that I feared it would be. Especially the opening were great where both the audience and the people in the movie were kept in suspense as to what was happening.

The last 20-30 minutes were an action fest, though.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:23 AM   #3127
Psychonaut

National Treasure 2

More or less the same as the first film. The break-ins get more ludicrious and the plot more tenious.

Overall it's reasonably funny, decent set pieces and fun for a couple of hours.

2.5/5
Old 02-12-2008, 03:55 PM   #3128
Headbanger

Rescue Dawn

Really good, although not Herzogs best. Well worth watching.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:41 PM   #3129
The Major Grubert.

Treasure Planet (probably thanks to Mr. Lacey), surprisingly good. Well done.
Old 02-14-2008, 01:22 PM   #3130
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Sleepy Hollow

A very nice Johnny Depp movie.
One of the Holy Triangle movies.

(Holy Triangle = Johnny Depp, Tim Burton & Danny Elfman)
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:18 AM   #3131
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

The Matrix

I saw this movie several nights ago, and I'm still blown away by it.

Memphis Belle

Not the greatest war movie of recent times, as a lot of the story is fictional, but pretty enjoyable nonetheless. If nothing else, seeing shots of B-17s from various angles is enjoyable.
Old 02-17-2008, 12:12 PM   #3132
Psychonaut

There will be blood

An epic movie from one of my favourite Directors. Paul Thomas Anderson has been quiet for 4 years since Punch Drunk Love (At least on the movie front), but he's back to his best with a look at the early days of the oil business.

It's not the easiest film in the world to watch, the first 20 minutes there is no dialogue as it shows Daniel Plainview (the superb Daniel Day-Lewis) a solo Silver miner risking his life down a hole and using the money to start up a small team to drill for oil.

An accident leaves him with a small boy to look after and the film jumps a few years to him and his son pitching for leasing rights to drill for oil. Pitching himself as a family man. After a lead he heads to California where the oil is bubbling through the ground he soon buys up all the land round about and starts drilling for oil. His local nemesis is an evangelical preacher and the clash between the pair (Between greed and faith or religion and capitalism) is the backbone of the movie.

Daniel Day-Lewis is superb as the greedy oil man, who is borderline sociapathic with a hatred for people that he hides pretty well. He will do anything to succeed. Paul Dano is pretty good as the preacher trying to hold onto the minds of the locals.

As a parable of the American dream or American soul (Capitalism at any cost vs Religion) it is a pretty bleak picture as both of the men are pretty corrupt. (actually between this and the Coen Brothers American cinema is amazingly negative towards their own country at the moment) The final showdown between the pair is difficult to watch.

A superb haunting film.

5/5

Jumper

A sci-fi film from the director of the Bourne Identity sees Hayden Christensen (Darth Vader) face off against the white haired Sam L Jackson.

15 year old Hayden falls into a river under the ice about to die and before he knows it he is suddenly in the local library. He discovers he is a Jumper, a person with the ability to create wormholes with their mind and "Jump" to anywhere on the planet as long as they can see a picture or have been there before.

He runs away from his abusive father and "jumps" inot banks and robs them. Soon he is living a playboy lifestyle jumping all over the world taking whatever he wants, dating beautiful women and acting as wodden as a plank.

He soon attracts the attention of the Paladins, Religious nutjobs who believe only god should have the power to go where he wants and are trained to kill Jumpers.

He teams up with another Jumper (Jaime Bell) and so begins the action with chases taking place all over the world.

It was a decent premise and a cool power to have (I wish I could do it) and the action sequences were ok. Jamie Bell out acts the plank through the whole film and it never really resolves anything at the end.

Pleasently distracting.

2.5/5
Old 02-17-2008, 01:48 PM   #3133

I've just seen (on DVD) an amazing and astonishing movie called 'conversations with other women'.

Why it was called this I never found out since it takes part on someone's wedding day, only involves a man & a woman with a troubled past and ends very weird, imo.

But nevertheless, it was a very good movie
4.5/5

Last edited by aries323; 02-17-2008 at 01:48 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-17-2008, 04:44 PM   #3134
Evil Incarnate

There Will Be Blood
Pretty much as solid as I expected it to be. Mindblowing soundtrack by Greenwood, and Daniel Day-Lewis is the king of actors. Very smart movie, and very much needed. PTA is one of our greatest. Too bad we're living in a world where nobody recognizes great directors in any big way.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:10 PM   #3135
The Major Grubert.

The Last King of Scotland. An amazing film, even if you're not into the politics or history. The acting is fantstic: Forest Whitaker as great as ever, Gillian Anderson like you've never seen her, and James McAvoy's got it all.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:48 PM   #3136
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
The Last King of Scotland. An amazing film, even if you're not into the politics or history. The acting is fantstic: Forest Whitaker as great as ever, Gillian Anderson like you've never seen her, and James McAvoy's got it all.
I was actually rather suprised over how good this film turned out to be.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:11 AM   #3137
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

Away from her

The movie kinda reminded me of The Notebook, which is not necessarily a bad thing

Julie Christy is really amazing as Fiona. Even though, imho, the movie is a bit slow, I rather enjoyed it.

7/10

Next on the list: There will be blood!
Old 02-24-2008, 03:35 PM   #3138
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

Be Kind Rewind

This is such a sweet, charming and funny little movie and I really liked it. I think because it's directed by Michel Gondry people are going to really over-anaylze and scrutinize it, which is understandable for most films, but this is a movie that you shouldn't look at critically, it's a celebration of creativity and heart which is what this movie is full of, don't overthink it just watch and have a fun time. There's not a drop of pretentiousness or a mean spirited bone in it's body, it's just incredibly heartwarming and funny. The only problem I had with it is that for some reason it's rated PG-13, which is absolutely ridiculous. This movie should be PG.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 02-25-2008, 01:51 PM   #3139
In an evening of July...

Das Boot (uncut)

This movies is awesome as it is long. And it is VERY long.
Old 02-26-2008, 01:59 PM   #3140
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Dumbo
This is a weird one. The plot is silly, and the ending is far too abrupt, but there's something undeniably charming about this film. It must be about a decade - if not more - since I last saw this film, and it's still charming.