You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Recent movies seen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2008, 05:09 AM   #3181
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
Yuch I hate horror.
I don't like horror movies either, but I love horror in adventure games. I can't understand why.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:57 AM   #3182
Backsliding Pagan

I don't like slasher films (with the exception of the original Halloween), but I do love traditional horror films (Hammer Films), some ghosties films (Turn of the Screw, The Others) and psychological horror films (The Haunting of Hill House--the old B&W version). Both Turn of the Screw and The Haunting of Hill House are based on novels that I love and they are both B&W films, which I guess reveals my age or my tastes.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:23 PM   #3183
The Major Grubert.

Hard Candy. Ouch!
Old 04-05-2008, 02:58 AM   #3184
Freeware Co-ordinator

It appears "Snakes on a Train" is a themed evening of dodgy remakes the channel is dubbing "Mockbusters" The other films are

Mexican Werewolf in Texas
666 : The Child (Omen ripoff)
Live Feed (Hostel ripoff)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
Maybe there will be a dodgy horror remake of that as well.

Hell Vetica. When fonts go bad.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

One day Joel finds out his girlfriend has had him erased from her memory. Distraught, he tracks down the company that did the job and seeks the same treatment himself. The majority of the film is then a journey back through their relationship in Joel's memories where he realises he doesn't want to do this after all, interspersed with the dysfunctional activities of the company doing the work.

It's a really nice film and Jim Carrey as the male lead proves he can carry a dramatic role (though there are comedy moments) Kate Winslet also the girlfriend, Clementine Kruczynski, as puts in a very good performance. There are some nice visual effects of things disappearing as the memories are wiped. Especially effective are the later scenes in the film where Joel and a memory of Clementine attempt to hide her in other memories.

The whole concept has been thought through quite well too. Clients of the memory wipe company bring in everything they can find that is associated with the person they want wiped. These items are then shown one by one to enable mapping of the memories (for later erasure) and kept (so there are no unexplained items once the memories are gone). This creates a believable process, even if it isn't scientifically based.

It's a film that requires a bit of attention but I'd recommend it to anyone.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 04-05-2008, 08:18 PM   #3185
The Major Grubert.

The Brave One. I love Jodie Foster! This is a terrific performance, and gosh, she just continues to impress. She is aging beautifully and her screen presence is just wonderful here.

It's a fun thriller, interesting enough that I've taken the rare course of not returning my Netflix rental so I can watch it again tonight.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:43 PM   #3186
Super Moderator

Spirited Away - I had seen bits and pieces and finally watched the whole thing. Truly lovely.

I saw Howl's Moving Castle on TV just a couple weeks ago but would like to see that without commercials.

I've also been watching the Jane Austen novels on Masterpiece Theater on PBS. Just finished Sense and Sensibility. I think that and Pride and Prejudice (Ah, Colin Firth) are my two favorites of hers.

Last edited by Melanie68; 04-06-2008 at 09:50 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 06:14 AM   #3187

Has anyone seen Lars and the real girl, I just want to know if they use Regurgitator "Polyester Girl" in the sound track that would be so funny if they did.
Old 04-08-2008, 08:10 PM   #3188
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
Spirited Away - I had seen bits and pieces and finally watched the whole thing. Truly lovely.

I saw Howl's Moving Castle on TV just a couple weeks ago but would like to see that without commercials.
Both are worth watching over and over. I can't get enough of Miyazaki works (I haven't seen it all and most try harder to do so).

Also in the same genre, make sure to see Grave of the Fireflies.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:41 PM   #3189
Super Moderator

I have heard of Grave of the Fireflies and thought it looked intriguing. I also ordered My Neighbor Totoro. That should be here in a few days. I'm not sure if it'll be dubbed or subtitled. I don't think that one ever got a fully localized release in N. America and Europe.

Edit: I just read up on Grave of the Fireflies and that wasn't the movie that I was thinking about. It sounds very intense.

Last edited by Melanie68; 04-08-2008 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:23 AM   #3190

It is. But it's also the kind of film you don't really watch again.

Totoro is awesome by the way. It has actually been localized. Personally I always watch the English versions of Miyazaki films because the voice-work is generally well done and lip-sync issues don't bother me so much in animation - live-action dubbing though is a heinous crime.

I remember reading somewhere that Miyazaki himself actually preferred the English dub of Howls.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:03 AM   #3191
Psychonaut

Quote:
Edit: I just read up on Grave of the Fireflies and that wasn't the movie that I was thinking about. It sounds very intense.
It is intense and very emotional.

Unfortunatly a lot of people write it off as a kids movie because it is anime.

What it is is one of the most powerful anti war movies ever made.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:57 PM   #3192
In an evening of July...

Quote:
I love fairy tales, and I don't mind anime, so I got the movie to see what all the hype is about.
It truly is a great tale, I loved it. I wasn't too fond of the disney-esque soundtrack though, and the whole chasing and throwing up slime episode was a little too gross for me to be enjoyable. Loved the ocean though, majestic and calm, with a train riding through. Great.

If you don't mind a darker tale, I suggest you watch Now and Then, Here and There (I already mentioned it once in this thread), an eleven-episode anime about a boy trying to save a water goddess. Amazing artwork, with great atmosphere and lots of drama.
Old 04-09-2008, 07:03 PM   #3193
Super Moderator

My Neighbor Totoro came! Watching it now.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:42 PM   #3194
The Major Grubert.

Grave of the Fireflies being intense:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo View Post
It is. But it's also the kind of film you don't really watch again.
Why? I've seen it several times. It's quite well done.

Quote:
Totoro is awesome by the way.
I haven't seen this yet--I'll give it a go.
Old 04-09-2008, 11:27 PM   #3195
Occasionally around...

Send a message via Yahoo to MystGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post

That was a great movie.

If you want something intense, check out Ang Lee's newest one called Lust, Caution. (seriously)
Old 04-10-2008, 01:47 AM   #3196

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
Why? I've seen it several times. It's quite well done.
I don't dispute that. It is a great movie... but I don't know, I guess it just makes me sad.

I tend to prefer more upbeat films for repeat viewing.
Old 04-10-2008, 01:45 PM   #3197
In an evening of July...

Ugly Swans
A movie by a former assistent of Tarkovsky. Just like Stalker it's based on a novel by brothers Strukazki, and just like Stalker it is very artsy and atmospheric. Some of the dialogue did seem clumsy to me, but overall I enjoyed the movie, and consider it to be the second best adaptation of the works of Strugazki. Basically it tells a story about a town, which is being overtaken by a force that is transforming people and particulary children into some new form of being, intelligent, seeking change, judging.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:10 PM   #3198
The Major Grubert.

Re: Grave of the Fireflies: Why not watch it (or see it again).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo View Post
I don't dispute that. It is a great movie... but I don't know, I guess it just makes me sad.

I tend to prefer more upbeat films for repeat viewing.
It should make you sad, that's the point. If it touched you, then it made an impact--why would you not want to be touched again?

Most of my most favorite films (and films I own) mean something much deeper to me that comedies or action films (not to demean them).
Old 04-11-2008, 12:41 AM   #3199

I agree there, but a profound sadness is not something I long to experience frequently. And it's not like I'm saying I only re-watch popcorn material. Sadness is not a requirement for meaning. And some films you just have to be in the mood for... If I ever feel like a heartbreaking reflection on the horrors of war again, I'll obviously know where to look.

Thinking about what kind of films I would consider my favourites there's often a tinge of bittersweetness or darkness to them, but certainly a thread of optimism through most. There are films that make you feel horrible that I would consider great, and would heartily recommend, but not go back to.

There's something to be said for messing with the audience's heads and going "haha, no that's what you thought!" but mind-fuckery only goes so far and frankly I like some closure. Happy endings are overrated and I admire a film that has the balls to defy expectation, but ending with "well, life sucks" doesn't work for me.

Last edited by Ninja Dodo; 04-11-2008 at 01:11 AM.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:54 PM   #3200
The Major Grubert.

Well said and understood. I definitely more prefer a film (even if dark in nature) that has a relatively positive closure.

I can also appreciate a well told story that presents something that is not a reality in my life but that I can learn from, and experience in a way that places me in that monumentally place in history.

And I can do that repeatedly.