You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Comicbooks, graphic novel, sci-fi, fantasy, anime, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2008, 09:03 AM   #61

Sev Trek I just got their first DVD called 'Pus in boots', I only just discovered they have a online cartoon site as well, you have to join up and pay a fee, might be worth it.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:20 AM   #62
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane started up again, this time as a miniseries written by Terry Moore because McKeever's still exclusive at DC. And it's pretty disappointing. Moore is so not in McKeever's league. Mary Jane doesn't seem like Mary Jane, she just seems like a random high school girl. And the plot is thematically unfocused and meandering. It makes me worry for what it'll be like when Moore takes over Runaways. (Though it couldn't possibly be more of a wreck than what Joss Whedon just did with them.)

On the other hand, it would have taken a really amazing first issue to not disappoint me, given how much I like the previous 28 issues. As far as I'm concerned, the only person qualified to take the reins of this series (beside McKeever) is Tom Beland (of the autobiographical comic "True Story, Swear to God"). He has this corny-but-genuine style of storytelling which would be a perfect match for the characters, plus he's a fan of Spider-Man. He would have taken the job seriously, not like Terry Moore. Grrr.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:39 PM   #63
Occasionally around...

Send a message via Yahoo to MystGirl

I wonder what the new Star Trek movie is going to be like. I guess William Shatner is pretty pissed about not being asked to be in it. (from what I've heard on the internet)
Old 08-13-2008, 01:52 PM   #64
A Servicable Villain

I just bought a real classic: Alan Moore's The Killing Joke; with new colours by artist Brian Bolland. It's a deluxe hardcover edition and delicious.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:25 PM   #65
Occasionally around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starflux View Post
I just bought a real classic: Alan Moore's The Killing Joke; with new colours by artist Brian Bolland. It's a deluxe hardcover edition and delicious.

Sweet. I've been meaning to get that one for a long time.

I must be desperate for new sci-fi if I'm willing to go see the new Star Wars: The Clone Wars computer animated movie...

http://www.starwars.com/clonewars/site/index.html

I did like the traditional animated ones that came out a couple of years ago on Cartoon Network. (especially since they were done in the Samurai Jack style)
Old 08-22-2008, 02:03 AM   #66
Not like them!

Why so desperate? There's lots of sci-fi on TV these days.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:24 AM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
Why so desperate? There's lots of sci-fi on TV these days.
Really your so luck in Australia we hardly have anything Sci-fi, Stargate Atlantis series 3 [I think] has just finished and I think that only goes to series 5. We have Dr Who on ABC and I think thats about it.
Old 08-30-2008, 01:39 PM   #68
Not like them!

Lucky? I don't live in America, I just have access to the internet.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:52 PM   #69
Occasionally around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader View Post
Really your so luck in Australia we hardly have anything Sci-fi, Stargate Atlantis series 3 [I think] has just finished and I think that only goes to series 5. We have Dr Who on ABC and I think thats about it.

No kidding. Good sci-fi is seriously lacking in the USA. And it has been for years. I think that's why I've been getting into anime more and more. To fill the sci-fi void here. It's also still hard to find good sci-fi in American comics.

I did watch a really good anime based on the Beserk manga series. I haven't read the series yet and I know I should, but I liked the anime series quite a bit.

www.theblackswordsman.com
Old 09-01-2008, 02:10 AM   #70
Not like them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystGirl View Post
No kidding. Good sci-fi is seriously lacking in the USA. And it has been for years. I think that's why I've been getting into anime more and more. To fill the sci-fi void here. It's also still hard to find good sci-fi in American comics.
We weren't talking about comics. True, American comics are lacking in non-superhero sci-fi (though, if you don't mind superhero universes, Guardians of the Galaxy is fun sci-fi) but TV has plenty. There's Lost, Heroes, Battlestar Galactica, Stargate: Atlantis, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Eureka, and Joss Whedon's upcoming Dollhouse, and probably some others I'm forgetting.

Has anyone been watching The Middleman? At first I thought it would get old fast (like Pushing Daisies did), but it's almost finished its first season and I can't get enough of it. The writers have every type of science-fiction or fantasy nonsense show up, and it's up to The Middleman and his sidekick Wendy Watson to save the day. It's possibly the goofiest show I've ever seen. Even the episode titles are goofy: "The Vampiric Puppet Lamentation", "The Obsolescent Cryogenic Meltdown", "The Palindrome Reversal Palindrome". It's insane, you should watch it.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:48 PM   #71
Occasionally around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
We weren't talking about comics. True, American comics are lacking in non-superhero sci-fi (though, if you don't mind superhero universes, Guardians of the Galaxy is fun sci-fi) but TV has plenty. There's Lost, Heroes, Battlestar Galactica, Stargate: Atlantis, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Eureka, and Joss Whedon's upcoming Dollhouse, and probably some others I'm forgetting.

Has anyone been watching The Middleman? At first I thought it would get old fast (like Pushing Daisies did), but it's almost finished its first season and I can't get enough of it. The writers have every type of science-fiction or fantasy nonsense show up, and it's up to The Middleman and his sidekick Wendy Watson to save the day. It's possibly the goofiest show I've ever seen. Even the episode titles are goofy: "The Vampiric Puppet Lamentation", "The Obsolescent Cryogenic Meltdown", "The Palindrome Reversal Palindrome". It's insane, you should watch it.

I know. Like I said, good sci-fi is seriously lacking in America, whether it be comics or movies. In my mind, TV shows don't count, because they're just rehashing new versions of older shows, like Doctor Who, Battlestar Galactica.

I want, new, original, sci-fi ideas, that are not remakes of old TV shows or movies. I am looking forward to The Day The Earth Stood Still but it's just another remake of a sci-fi classic.

As a comicbook fan I'm enjoying all the movie versions coming out based on comics and graphic novels, but as a sci-fi fan, I sure would relish something truly unique and unusual coming out, instead of yet another X-Files, Star Wars, or Star Trek movie. I don't mind sequels or continuing stories (they are making another Terminator film after all with Christian Bale), but I don't understand why sci-fi is still ignored so much in Hollywood for the most part. At the very least, there are so many sci-fi novels that Hollywood could base movies on. The shelves are full of them in the bookstore.

I guess it all comes down to money. What's going to make the studios the most amount of money. So instead of coming up with something unique more often (like The Matrix), they decide to stick to "safe" stories like a new Star Trek movie coming out.

Sorry if I sound frustrated. I've been complaining about the lack of good sci-fi movies for years. I think that's why I've been getting into anime, to fill the sci-fi void. If I won the lottery, I'd start my own movie studio dedicated to making only sci-fi movies.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:39 AM   #72
Not like them!

Ah, sci-fi movies? Yeah, I'm with you there. We could certainly use more sci-fi movies.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:16 AM   #73

I just read the first volume of Sandman, "Preludes & Nocturnes" and I have some questions.

Without giving spoilers, does the series get better as the story progresses? "The Sound of Her Wings" was easily the best part of the book, but it's also the last. While I enjoyed the overall plot in the other stories I didn't care for the "perhaps misguided" (in the author's own words) inclusion of The Justice League. Also I'm puzzled why an Englishman would choose to depict London with generic American location number one: The diner (where Constantine goes to have a cheeseburger for breakfast). It kind of hurt the credibility of the setting and had me questioning if Gaiman had even been to London, until I read his bio...

I'm not fond of the American style of colouring everything in flat saturated primary colours, but the pencil/ink work was pretty stylish.

All in all, an interesting comic, but I'm undecided on whether I'll read the rest.

[edit: I guess what I'm asking is... is the rest of the series more like "Her Wings" or more like Justice League?]

Last edited by Ninja Dodo; 09-28-2008 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:39 PM   #74
Occasionally around...

All I know about the Sandman series is it was a huge hit here in The States due to the darker, twisted, unusual story angles. (at least, from what I've heard, I haven't read any of them yet)

But critics rave about it being so unique and different. I'm assuming that means the next volume will be just as intriguing? I don't think you're risking anything by continuing to read them.
Old 10-14-2008, 11:22 AM   #75
A Servicable Villain

Don't know where else to put this, but this weekend I was at the Belgian sci-fi convention FACTS, dressed up as...

Old 11-04-2008, 12:21 AM   #76
delusions of adequacy

Its a bit of good/bad news to hear that Archaia Studios Press has finally gotten its new publisher deals out of the way. The creative control aspects of the artists new contracts aren't easy to get a fix on but it seems some artists will be leaving.

I'm not a huge Mouse Guard (the studios biggest seller) fan myself, but I have previously expressed my appreciation for Artesia which has been on indefinite hold since may last year, smack bang in the middle of a castle siege plot line.

I look forward to its return with renewed hope that its finally going to happen, but trepidation that the new publisher/deal could well mean the notoriously adult nature of Artesia could suffer... oh and its intricate detail too!... we can't loose that either (*nervous laugh*)
Old 11-16-2008, 06:41 PM   #77
Occasionally around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starflux View Post
Don't know where else to put this, but this weekend I was at the Belgian sci-fi convention FACTS, dressed up as...

Heh. Great pic. I always enjoy the costume pics from the various geek conventions.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:42 PM   #78
Occasionally around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk View Post
Its a bit of good/bad news to hear that Archaia Studios Press has finally gotten its new publisher deals out of the way. The creative control aspects of the artists new contracts aren't easy to get a fix on but it seems some artists will be leaving.

I'm not a huge Mouse Guard (the studios biggest seller) fan myself, but I have previously expressed my appreciation for Artesia which has been on indefinite hold since may last year, smack bang in the middle of a castle siege plot line.

I look forward to its return with renewed hope that its finally going to happen, but trepidation that the new publisher/deal could well mean the notoriously adult nature of Artesia could suffer... oh and its intricate detail too!... we can't loose that either (*nervous laugh*)

I like Archaia Studios. They've put out some great stuff over recent years. I hope they can hang in there over time.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:45 PM   #79
Occasionally around...

The new Star Trek trailer is out in The States. I've never been a huge fan of Star Trek, but I am a big J.J. Abrams fan (LOST) and this movie looks quite interesting.

http://www.startrekmovie.com/
Old 11-24-2008, 01:07 PM   #80
A Servicable Villain

I honestly can't make up my mind about this remake. On the one hand I like that they're bringing more motivation and depth to the characters of Kirk and Spock, who always were a bit static in the series. The action-packed plot could be good, though the opening shots of the trailer were more "Mad Max" than the supposedly utopian future Earth of Star Trek. Still, lotsa thrills upon the reveal of the Enterprise.

But on the other hand, it could well butcher everything "Trek" about "Star Trek". You can't see Kirk without seeing Shatner and his iconic, easily-spoofable performance. And Trek has always been less about action and more about ruminating about weird possibilities and space quirks.

So, I just don't know. I'll just go and watch it, and then I will.