You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Comicbooks, graphic novel, sci-fi, fantasy, anime, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2008, 02:51 PM   #81
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

At this point I'd be shocked to not love Star Trek. I've gotten around to sampling all four of J.J. Abrams' TV shows (I'm up to date on Lost and Fringe, and watching the first seasons of Alias and Felicity.), and I love all of them. That in itself gives me great hope for this movie. But beyond that, it's being written by Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, co-creators of Fringe. And it's being produced by Damon Lindelof, co-creator of Lost. And even the music is being done by Michael Giacchino who did Alias, Lost and Fringe. So if I love Star Trek, and love everything these guys have ever done before (Both those things are true.), then how can I not love this movie? I was worried that they were going to undermine Star Trek continuity, but that was before I understood who was behind this. These guys are too geeky to do that. So now I'm thinking they're probably planning to fill in empty space in continuity but not replace anything. Which would be cool.

Speaking of the Bad Robot guys, the latest episode of Fringe was amazing, and certainly the best yet. Did anyone see it?
Old 11-24-2008, 05:57 PM   #82
Creepy Father Figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo View Post
I just read the first volume of Sandman, "Preludes & Nocturnes" and I have some questions.

All in all, an interesting comic, but I'm undecided on whether I'll read the rest.

[edit: I guess what I'm asking is... is the rest of the series more like "Her Wings" or more like Justice League?]
I for one love the series. the best in the series are "Doll's House" and "Season of Mists" (The latter is great! What would happen if Lucifer quit!)

If you enjoyed "Her Wings" you would probably enjoy the "Dream Country" and "Fables and Reflections" compilations. They are compilations of stand-alone stories that are wonderful. In Dream Country be sure to read " A Dream of a Thousand Cats" and in "Fables and Reflections" Be sure to read "Ramadan"

One of Neil Gaiman's greatest work in the graphic novels is "Books of Magic" mini series. It's a wonderful collection of characters and artists plus a fantastic story line.
One more is the "Black Orchid" mini series also by Gaiman. The imagery is beautiful as the wildlife and nature are colored and man dark and bland.

Everything else I could mention of his graphic novels are very offbeat and usually not as well enjoyed by others as much as myself. take for instance "Signal to Noise"... that thing was wonderful!
Okay I'll stop ranting.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:09 AM   #83

I ended up getting a couple more of these. Just finished "Season of Mists" actually and loved it.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:22 PM   #84
handsome

Pride of Baghdad
Name:  prideofbad.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  25.4 KB
Written by: Brian K. Vaughan
Art by: Niko Henrichon

IGN Review
Quote:
Heartfelt, whimsical, brooding, thrilling and powerful, Pride of Baghdad is the best $20 you will spend all year. This is an amazing graphic novel that belongs on everyone's bookshelf. You can put it right next to Watchmen. It's that good.

MUST HAVE
IMO the book could be much better . It's just too short and the story (while good) it's kinda predictable.
The good stuff: Great characters and awesome artwork.

Name:  01.JPG
Views: 277
Size:  20.7 KB
Sorry about the quality, my mobile has a shitty camera.

In short: It's a decent enough graphic novel but NOT a Must Have.
Ign's Suggested Age is +12 but imo this one is not for kids, it's too violent.
Old 12-02-2008, 04:46 AM   #85
handsome

Just finished the last issue of All-Star Superman.

Well, what can I say? It's by Grand Morisson, it's brilliant.. all 12 issues.

Name:  untitled.JPG
Views: 224
Size:  20.2 KB

Wikipedia
Quote:
Awards
All Star Superman won the Eisner Award for "Best New Series" in 2006 [6] and "Best Continuing Series" in 2007. [7] It also won the Harvey Awards for "Best Artist" and "Best Single Issue" in 2008. In 2006 it won the Eagle Award for "Favourite New Comicbook" and "Favourite Comics Cover" (for the first issue), as well as the 2007 "Favourite Colour Comicbook - American" Eagle.

Newcomers and fans will love it. It's a MUST HAVE, 9 ou of 10 god dammit! (imo )

Last edited by TiAgUh; 12-02-2008 at 05:05 AM.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:26 AM   #86
Not like them!

As a counterpoint:
http://i-m-not.blogspot.com/2008/09/all-star-superman.html

Some issues -specifically 6 and 10- were brilliant. Most of it was not. Most of it was mediocre, and some of it -specifically 1 and 7- was downright painful. All-Star Superman is a lousy comic with a few moments of greatness, not the other way around.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:16 AM   #87
Not like them!

Now here's a comic more worth your time, and I mean this seriously:

It's a homage to 60's era Superman comics, but with more fun in each issue than you'd ever find back then. It's funny and clever in how it uses clichés, laughing at how silly they are while also understanding how much fun they are. Each issue has two full stories, which start out weird and just get crazier and crazier. The visual aesthetic is old-fashioned, but really fun and exciting to look at. It's stuffed with gags and over-the-top situations, but it keeps hinting that it's heading somewhere a little creepy and modern. I do not recommend this book to everyone, because I know some people don't like stories which aren't grounded. But I would recommend this book to anyone who appreciates the sheer joy of superhero comics.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:01 AM   #88
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
As a counterpoint:
http://i-m-not.blogspot.com/2008/09/all-star-superman.html
(...)
Mory said:
Sorry, I've never read Watchmen. I'll get around to it some day.
GO read it before I kick your *** or something!

The only comics I've read written by Morisson was Animal Man which was a great too. IMO Morisson always starts slow, but then it has some genius moments till the end. I think you were a bit harsh reviewing it but yeah I guess there were a few bad moments..

Spoiler:
While it's fun reading Bizarro talking, it's boring to read a entire world talking like that for quite a long time.

But then again ... that's just nitpicking.

Btw nice blog dude . And from what I've heard Morisson's New X-Men was really a mess.

Quote:
Now here's a comic more worth your time, and I mean this seriously:
Thanks but no thanks. I'm not that into Marvel stuff, when I was a kid I bought The Uncanny X-Men\Wolverine to read the Onslaught Saga/Aftermath and Gambit's Trial and that's it. It was kewl.
Name:  DSC00271.JPG
Views: 216
Size:  36.7 KB
There's more but yeah you get the ideia.
The only Marvel comic book I'm interested in is Marvels. Maybe one day in a distant future I'll give that one a try.
___

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
Promethea (Alan Moore, J.H. Williams III; adult)
The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (Alan Moore, Kevin O'Neill; adult)
I've always wanted to read those two, those and Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow? which is also by Moore.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:10 PM   #89
Occasionally around...

Send a message via Yahoo to MystGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
Pride of Baghdad
Attachment 1661
Written by: Brian K. Vaughan
Art by: Niko Henrichon

IGN Review

IMO the book could be much better . It's just too short and the story (while good) it's kinda predictable.
The good stuff: Great characters and awesome artwork.

Attachment 1660
Sorry about the quality, my mobile has a shitty camera.

In short: It's a decent enough graphic novel but NOT a Must Have.
Ign's Suggested Age is +12 but imo this one is not for kids, it's too violent.

I remember flipping through this one at the bookstore. I have to agree the artwork, is great. The picture you have featured here with the giant swords, it really is, an amazing piece itself. I remember those pages.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:12 PM   #90
Occasionally around...

Quote:
At this point I'd be shocked to not love Star Trek. I've gotten around to sampling all four of J.J. Abrams' TV shows (I'm up to date on Lost and Fringe, and watching the first seasons of Alias and Felicity.), and I love all of them. That in itself gives me great hope for this movie. But beyond that, it's being written by Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman, co-creators of Fringe. And it's being produced by Damon Lindelof, co-creator of Lost. And even the music is being done by Michael Giacchino who did Alias, Lost and Fringe. So if I love Star Trek, and love everything these guys have ever done before (Both those things are true.), then how can I not love this movie? I was worried that they were going to undermine Star Trek continuity, but that was before I understood who was behind this. These guys are too geeky to do that. So now I'm thinking they're probably planning to fill in empty space in continuity but not replace anything. Which would be cool.

Speaking of the Bad Robot guys, the latest episode of Fringe was amazing, and certainly the best yet. Did anyone see it?

I keep forgetting to watch Fringe, because I know it's making little "connections" here and there with LOST. I'm a huge LOST fan. Maybe I'll rent the first season when it comes out on DVD. I've missed too many episodes now.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:48 AM   #91
Not like them!

It makes connections with Lost? What do you mean?
Old 12-04-2008, 05:31 PM   #92
Creepy Father Figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystGirl View Post
I keep forgetting to watch Fringe, because I know it's making little "connections" here and there with LOST. I'm a huge LOST fan. Maybe I'll rent the first season when it comes out on DVD. I've missed too many episodes now.
Didn't see the reference either. But some similar plotting of the storylines.
The funny thing is that I thought that the "Observer" (If you watch real close he seems to be at all the "incidence" somewhere.) was Bill Erwin the great modern clown. Wound up being Michael Cerveris
Old 12-05-2008, 06:54 AM   #93
handsome

Quote:
Have you tried any of the French or Belgian comics? They're quite something.
Marsupilami one of the most annoying characters ever, and yet I miss reading some adventures of Spirou, there's nothing but Tintin around here.

Quote:
Who needs super-powers? Wow, you can shoot lasers with your eyes. Congratulations. They're such a narrative cop-out. Like a character can't be made interesting without being somehow supernatural. Actually that's the only reason I don't mind Batman. He's just a dude what kicks ass in ethically debatable fashion...
I used to think like that but then I've actually read some American comics\graphic novels. And there's so many great characters without superpowers, like Luthor or The Question.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:24 AM   #94
handsome

Well, I've (finally) finished reading Lex Luthor: Man of Steel.
Written by: Brian Azzarello
Art by: Lee Bermejo

A Luthor story from the billionaire's perspective. And a really good one, delving into the complex and, ultimately, fracturing mind of Superman's number 1 villain. Writter Brian Azzarello did an amazing job.

And the art, well, the art is just beautiful.

Name:  super_lex.JPG
Views: 208
Size:  31.3 KB

I highly recommend this graphic novel to both fans and newcomers.

Last edited by TiAgUh; 12-07-2008 at 09:35 AM.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:24 PM   #95
Occasionally around...

Quote:
It makes connections with Lost? What do you mean?

Well, the ties are more subtle, but there's a character on Fringe, who is also a "mysterious" character on LOST. Also, the "subtle" ties I'm referring too have more to do with the online game that got more into the history of the island. It was created by the writers of LOST. It told us about the Hanso Foundation, a foundation believed to be preforming all kinds of experiments all over the world, along with on the island. It gave those of us who played the game, a lot more insight into the islands history. I believe the game was the summer between season 2 and 3 if I recall? Anyway, I've missed a lot of Fringe episodes, but in the few I've seen, I am seeing some very subtle Hanso Foundation ties here and there.

I usually visit this website religiously to see if there's any new online info about LOST before the new season starts here at the end of January. They have a Fringe forum as well.

www.thefuselage.com
The site was created by the writers of LOST. The online game (along with smaller ones that were featured this past summer) are in a forum called The LOST Experience. The original game was quite involved and had it's own characters, but the game was also tied to the real world. For example, there were some weird Sprite commercials that were out awhile ago that were directly tied to the online game, but they were actual, real commercials as well. You can find a complete summary of that game in one of the threads in The Lost Experience and you will learn more about the island and it's history.

Anyway, I saw the new Terminator trailer recently and the new Wolverine trailer. Wow. The new Terminator trailer stars Christian Bale. I have to say, it looks amazing.

Judge for yourself....

www.terminatorsalvation.warnerbros.com

www.x-menorigins.com
Old 12-22-2008, 03:58 AM   #96
handsome

^The terminator link doesn't work. Here you go - http://rss.warnerbros.com/terminatorsalvation/

Well, the 3rd one was bad enough so i'm not looking forward to this one.
Bale's 'dark' voice was ridiculous in Batman and it seems he's trying to do the same in this one...

ha! speaking of the devil, American Psycho just started (tv).

The Wolverine one looks stupid but I'm probably bias since I find wolverine one of the most annoying characters ever .
Wait, isn't Gambit a carrot top?
Old 12-22-2008, 05:58 AM   #97
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Reading Fables. Very much fun so far. ^_^

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 01-10-2009, 02:10 PM   #98
Occasionally around...

I've been meaning to check out the Fables series for awhile, but due to tight funds this year, I've had to curtail my comic buying for now. I've always enjoyed "twisted fairytale" type stories though.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:13 PM   #99
Occasionally around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
^The terminator link doesn't work. Here you go - http://rss.warnerbros.com/terminatorsalvation/

Well, the 3rd one was bad enough so i'm not looking forward to this one.
Bale's 'dark' voice was ridiculous in Batman and it seems he's trying to do the same in this one...

ha! speaking of the devil, American Psycho just started (tv).

The Wolverine one looks stupid but I'm probably bias since I find wolverine one of the most annoying characters ever .
Wait, isn't Gambit a carrot top?

I think one of the reasons I'm looking forward to the new Terminator movie, is because Terminator 3 was so bad. This new one looks like they're starting over again, at the beginning.

I'm sweet on Hugh Jackman, so that's partly why I want to see the Wolverine movie. My personal bias for that one I guess.
Old 01-21-2009, 11:15 AM   #100
A Servicable Villain

Forgive the shameless plug, but in a topic about comic books I couldn't resist telling about my own. At the end of last year my own graphic novel was (self)published, called Quelle Horreur. It's a zombie horror / teenage drama / comedy type of thing:

The three people on the foreground are, left to right; King, Government Man and Claudius. They all get rounded up in an abandoned factory full of zombies, and there's danger and unrequited love and plot twists and everything. I hope I can persuade you to check it out, it's available in an international online store (below) for only 6,95 Euros. It's a 100 page pocket filled with zombie goodness and adventurey spirit!

Link to the online store: http://archonia.com/index.php?page=article&aid=50674

And some previews of the comic if you're curious to the contents!
http://www.captainaugust.com/qh/1.gif
http://www.captainaugust.com/qh/2.gif
http://www.captainaugust.com/qh/3.gif