Comicbooks, graphic novel, sci-fi, fantasy, anime, etc... - Page 6 - Adventure Forums
You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Comicbooks, graphic novel, sci-fi, fantasy, anime, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009, 01:41 PM   #101
Occasionally around...

Send a message via Yahoo to MystGirl

Wow, great artwork Starflux. Looks good.
Old 01-24-2009, 02:45 AM   #102
A Servicable Villain

Thank you!
Old 02-28-2009, 07:58 PM   #103
Occasionally around...

Wow, Watchmen looks amazing. I even bought the Watchmen trade so that I could read the entire series before the movie opens next week. I can't wait! Alan Moore is truly a gifted writer. I swear some of the best comics came out of the 1980's.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:24 PM   #104
handsome

^
Can't wait for the movie too.
Pleeease Zack Snyder don't screw it up.

It's nice to see more and more people buying one of the best comics of all time (imo the best by far).

For those who read the graphicnovel.. is it me or some of the characters in the movie are\look much younger then they should?
Old 03-02-2009, 04:00 PM   #105
Creepy Father Figure

For everyone who is an Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman fan. Right here there is an interview that Neil did with Alan during the time he was writing the Watchmen. Very interesting... at least to me.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:39 PM   #106
Headbanger

I just bought the first album in The Third Testament series (painted by Alex Alice). It's available in English too and I can recommend checking it out. A good adventure comic.

I also finally got the first new Arne Anka album. Not known to many outside Sweden but I thought I would post it anyway.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:01 AM   #107
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke View Post
I also finally got the first new Arne Anka album.
What is he saying?
Old 03-04-2009, 08:17 AM   #108
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgUh View Post
What is he saying?
"I don't have a problem with alcohol,
I have a problem with reality."

Old 03-08-2009, 05:13 AM   #109
handsome

^How cheerful

Saw the movie yesterday and I have to say it was quite good, even the person who went with me liked it and she doesn't even like anything with super-heroes.
Its not as good like the graphic novel (of course) it had some cons like the music which sometimes was hilarious, Ozzy kinda sucked and wtf is wrong with Nixon's nose?

Other than that Rorschach, the Comedian, Dr. Man and Nite Owl were perfect (only N.Owl's costume was 'meh'), the fight scenes were awesome and violent as hell . There were some changes in the story of course but nothing too significant, and the "different ending" everyone was talking about wasn't so different (or bad) after all.

Better then DarkKnight? In my opinion Yes, it's better then the overrated DK and its incomplete Joker . Go see Watchmen.

Also, you have to see this - Saturday Morning Cartoon Watchmen Brilliant!
Old 03-08-2009, 08:02 AM   #110
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

My sister and I went to see Watchmen yesterday too; she's never read the graphic novel and somehow avoided all the hype surrounding the movie!

Really liked the movie, many of the scenes and dialogue were taken directly from the GN, I didn't even pay attention to the long running time. Lots of snapping bones and splattering of blood. (What else would one expect from the director of 300?! ) I always imagined Dr. Manhattan's voice to be deeper and echo-y, that's what his word balloons in the GN always seemed to suggest to me. But after learning that Billy Crudup was cast and then actually hearing his voice in the second trailer, I couldn't help thinking, "...Really?!" His performance was still very good, as were those of most of the main actors, especially Jackie Earle Haley as Rorschach.

About the reworked ending...
Spoiler:
...it still made sense, though. The "Manhattan" devices substituting for the interdimensional alien achieved the same result. Personally, I would preferred including the orrery scene (Dr. Manhattan's final conversation with Veidt), which probably would've been anticlimactic from a film standpoint. Instead, Doc Manhattan disappears after his goodbye kiss with Laurie and she's given the "Nothing ever ends" line instead.
I can't wait for the Tales of the Black Freighter DVD to come out, but I'm wondering if I should just wait for the planned extended version of the Watchmen DVD instead, with the Black Freighter scenes interspersed throughout the original movie. (Would this even work? )
Old 03-10-2009, 01:49 PM   #111
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkyo View Post
My sister and I went to see Watchmen yesterday too; she's never read the graphic novel and somehow avoided all the hype surrounding the movie!
Whats her opinion about the movie?
My gf liked it, said it was something different with a good story and all but nothing special because there were things that could have been explained like why does his mask seems to be alive or what happpened to the guy that beat the crap out of Ed Blake, and why did Ed said that thing to the guy.

Spoiler:
(About the ending) If Ozymandias' backstory was told properly (with a few flashbacks like Rorschach) and if they didn't made him kinda arrogant and all, maybe the conversation wouldn't been a bad ideia. Its also kinda sad that the kid and the old guy were there just to, well, be disintegrated. Not a single line from them.

And yeah, Tales of the Black Freighter looks awesome - Trailer
Old 03-10-2009, 05:23 PM   #112
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

I think my sister liked the movie, or most of it anyway, even though I was sure she would hate it since it's not the type of movie she'd normally see. And yes, I had to explain many of the plot points and other unusual things she noticed (e.g. airships in New York, the 51-star US flag, etc.)

Oh yeah, I almost forgot about the Two Bernies. At least they'll appear in a deleted scene on the Black Freighter DVD!
Old 03-15-2009, 02:12 PM   #113
Occasionally around...

Quote:
^How cheerful

Saw the movie yesterday and I have to say it was quite good, even the person who went with me liked it and she doesn't even like anything with super-heroes.
Its not as good like the graphic novel (of course) it had some cons like the music which sometimes was hilarious, Ozzy kinda sucked and wtf is wrong with Nixon's nose?

Other than that Rorschach, the Comedian, Dr. Man and Nite Owl were perfect (only N.Owl's costume was 'meh'), the fight scenes were awesome and violent as hell . There were some changes in the story of course but nothing too significant, and the "different ending" everyone was talking about wasn't so different (or bad) after all.

Better then DarkKnight? In my opinion Yes, it's better then the overrated DK and its incomplete Joker . Go see Watchmen.

Also, you have to see this - Saturday Morning Cartoon Watchmen Brilliant!

I thought the actor who played Rorschach was excellent. I keep forgetting his name but he's been great in some other movies. He played a neighborhood pedophile in the movie Little Children. I thought all the other actors they picked to play everyone else were good too. I've seen and liked all of these other actors in other movies. (I'm blanking on names though, and too lazy to look all of them up.)

I though the movie was great. I enjoyed the graphic novel, but honestly, I thought the ending in the novel was kind of lame. I liked the "changed" ending in the movie better. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big comic fan, but I find so many comic writers don't "end" their stories well sometimes, and Watchmen's ending just didn't work for me personally. I know I might get some heat for this, but I'm picky about my comics. I still think Alan Moore is a good writer and he's grown on me quite a bit over the years, but I'm picky about the way a comic ends once I get involved with the characters.

Anyway, I brought a coworker to the movie who had never read the comic and she still loved the movie as well.

I have to admit though, I still enjoyed The Dark Knight. I thought Heath Ledger was excellent as Joker. But that movie created quite a divide. Most folks seem to love or hate it.

If nothing else, as a comic fan, I am happy to see more comics being adapted to the big screen. I enjoy seeing different director's "visions" of comic movies. For example, I loved Sin City and 300. I'm looking forward to the next Sin City movies.

I also recently saw Frank Miller's movie version The Shadow. It "looked" good, but it was kind of lacking in some areas. It was kind of slow in too many areas. It could have been better if the editing had been tweeked a bit. But it was ok. Although Frank Miller should probably stick to comic books instead of movie direction.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:59 PM   #114
Psychonaut

The Shadow was a underrated 1994 movie with Alec Baldwin and Penelope Ann Miller directed by the guy who did Highlander.

I'm assuming you meant to say "The Spirit" which was the Sin City style Frank Miller film. I've never seen it asn it got panned by the critics.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:24 AM   #115

Having not read the comic, I thought the Watchmen movie worked well overall but there were moments were some of the actors lacked the gravitas to really sell the lines. Silk Spectre's and Dr Manhattan's shared moment of realization fell flat for me.

Rorschach was excellent though.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:01 PM   #116
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystGirl View Post
(...) I thought the ending in the novel was kind of lame.
Shush!

Quote:
I still think Alan Moore is a good writer and he's grown on me quite a bit over the years, but I'm picky about the way a comic ends once I get involved with the characters.
Have you read FromHell? I wanted to know its worth the 30 something €.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo View Post
Having not read the comic, I thought the Watchmen movie worked well overall but there were moments were some of the actors lacked the gravitas to really sell the lines. (...)
Was it obvious for you who was the murderer?
Spoiler:
My gf said that it was obvious that The Comedian was Silk's father but not who murdered him.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:44 AM   #117

Spoiler:
Well, I'm still not clear on whether it was Veidt personally who killed him, or someone he hired (maybe I missed something), but when they did the big reveal of who was financing the conspiracy it was kind of an "oh yeah, well it would be wouldn't it?" moment for me
Old 03-20-2009, 01:18 PM   #118
Occasionally around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
The Shadow was a underrated 1994 movie with Alec Baldwin and Penelope Ann Miller directed by the guy who did Highlander.

I'm assuming you meant to say "The Spirit" which was the Sin City style Frank Miller film. I've never seen it asn it got panned by the critics.

Crap, you're right, The Spirit. I keep wanting to call that movie The Shadow for some reason. *hangs head in shame for claiming to be a comicbook fan but not remembering the proper names of comic book movies based on those comics!*

You might want to rent it just for the heck of it. It wasn't all bad. It "looked" great. It was just kind of slow, and dragged in certain places. Not enough action. It was one of those movies that had so much potential, but just didn't quite get there.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:21 PM   #119
Occasionally around...

Quote:
Shush!

Have you read FromHell? I wanted to know its worth the 30 something €.

Was it obvious for you who was the murderer?
Spoiler:
My gf said that it was obvious that The Comedian was Silk's father but not who murdered him.

Heh. Seriously, all that build up in the comic... and then it ends like "that"??? I was so dissapointed.

I've read bits of From Hell, but not the entire thing yet. (I did see the movie though. I thought the movie was ok)
Old 03-22-2009, 06:22 AM   #120
handsome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo View Post
Spoiler:
Well, I'm still not clear on whether it was Veidt personally who killed him, or someone he hired (maybe I missed something)
Spoiler:
If I remember well the movie shows the face of the killer when he's throwing Blake out of the window. But yeah, it was Veidt himself for a few reasons.

Quote:
Heh. Seriously, all that build up in the comic... and then it ends like "that"??? I was so dissapointed.
Spoiler:
You're talking about the cthulhu monster\alien\thing, right?

wikipedia :
'The film version of From Hell differs enormously from the graphic novel version.'

I also want to buy What Ever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow but i can't find it anywhere around here.
---
Just Bought:

€ 14.94 - 'review'

Last edited by TiAgUh; 03-22-2009 at 10:37 AM.