You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Comicbooks, graphic novel, sci-fi, fantasy, anime, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2008, 02:38 PM   #41
Occasionally around...

Send a message via Yahoo to MystGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Dodo View Post
Ha. I deserved that one.

You are correct I grew up in Europe (Holland, in fact), but I also used to read a good few American comics as I was doing so. It's not for lack of exposure that I generally dismiss the superhero genre. I'm perfectly aware that there are instances of great storytelling, but much like fantasy I'm just not willing to spend the time wading through the majority of crap to get to the good stuff and even the better ones seem to descend into silliness eventually (especially in movie-form)...

Put it this way: It's not like you can't write good fantasy, but don't you wish game developers turned to something other than orcs & elves once in a while? Also, just because something touches on some heavy subjects doesn't make it profound. If Scooby Doo started dealing with serious issues, it would still be Scooby Doo.

I don't feel where you're from should ever get in the way of broadening your horizon. I actively seek out things that are not familiar. Too much of the same gets boring quick.

Tell you what? You try some French comics, I'll try some more American ones. Perhaps Watchmen, as suggested above, or maybe Sandman, which I've heard some about and sounds intriguing.

But I'm still not reading Spiderman.

I like the Scooby Doo reference. (good points)

I'm always amazed at how others from elsewhere in the world are aware of so much American pop culture. (But we don't always show other countries the same awareness of their cultures in return.)

I have no problem broadening my horizones, epspecially with comics, movies, music, etc. I like that fact that international comic creators are gradually "bleeding" into our comics over here. Japanese manga (for example) has become so popular over here, that I swear it takes up more book shelf space in our bookstores now, then the "traditional" graphic novel section.

I would enjoy checking out foreign comics just to see what's out there.

I get tired of the super hero stuff too sometimes, and I take breaks from it. I actually like a lot of independent type comic stories but it still struggles sometimes to gain an audience in The States since the super hero stuff is what sells so well. Comic shops are competing against the big chain book stores so they have to keep the stuff that sells, which doesn't leave as much room for the more "unusual" stuff. So many smaller comicbook companies have either gone under completely, or they are bought out by the big guys (DC, Marvel) because they can't compete.

But still, there are American comic artists and writers (besides just Neil Gaiman, he just happens to be very well known now), who are creating some great unique stuff. It may be harder to find, but it's out there. I still don't know a lot of the comic writers and artists out there compared to other comic fans. But I do know what I like.

Warren Ellis is another "big guy" in the biz, but I like him because he's done a lot of sci-fi stories which is one of my main interests in comics.

Alan Moore and Frank Miller are obviously very popular, and I've enjoyed some of their stuff. (I haven't read everything by them yet) Neil Gaiman is considered very "out there" but honestly, I don't care for him that much. It always feels like he's ripping off some of his ideas from Clive Barker. (as far as the "feel" of Gaiman's stories)

I'm not sure if you ever check out webcomics, but they are becoming more popular since it's so hard for an unknown writer or artist to get published. I'm thinking of doing one myself one day for my own comic stories.

http://forums.comicbookresources.com...read.php?t=275

This is a good site. They have an independent forum, and this page lists a bunch of Indie companies. I think they are mostly American, but people from all over the world visit the site. Last Gasp is one of the links. They produce a lot of interesting, unusual stuff.
Old 07-23-2008, 02:48 PM   #42
Occasionally around...

By the way, this thread doesn't just have to be about comics. (I'm just particularly partial to them)

Other topics are welcome: anime, computer animation, sci-fi, fantasy, horror, artwork, poems, writing, etc, anything creative, that you enjoy.

I like the old sci-fi movies and saw an early trailer before Batman (which was excellent) for a remake of the sci-fi classic The Day The Earth Stood Still

http://www.dtessmovie.com/ (new movie)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0043456/ (the original from 1951)

Also saw a teaser trailer for a new Terminator movie with Christian Bale??? I didn't even know they were making another one.

http://rss.warnerbros.com/terminatorsalvation/
Old 07-23-2008, 03:12 PM   #43
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystGirl View Post
Other topics are welcome: anime, computer animation, sci-fi, fantasy, horror, artwork, poems, writing, etc, anything creative, that you enjoy.
So, given the diversity of people's tastes on these forums, this thread could potentially be about anything, right?
Old 07-24-2008, 02:14 AM   #44

I just stumbled across this charming little webcomic by the guy who created Lilo & Stitch. Only read a couple but it seems promising.

Kiskaloo 1, 2 and onwards...
Old 07-25-2008, 02:28 AM   #45

Actually, speaking of web-comics, I'm finding this one rather amusing. Also.
Old 07-25-2008, 11:15 AM   #46
Unreliable Narrator

I love Dinosaur Comics.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:16 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
Yeah, Brian K. Vaughan's good. Personally, my favorite thing he's written is Runaways, about a group of teenagers who find out their parents are supervillains. (But just the first 18-issue volume of it. It went downhill after that.) Pride of Baghdad's good too. He's most famous for Y: The Last Man, which was entertaining but not nearly as good as it's usually made out to be. I don't know if I'd want to reread that. And Ex Machina started out really interesting but quickly got stale. I didn't particularly care for any of his numerous Marvel miniseries. Anyway, I doubt we'll get a lot of new comics from him since he's working on Lost.
i liked pride of Baghdad. i'll have to check these other ones out
Old 07-26-2008, 09:05 AM   #48

I like the online comic Sluggy Freelance (http://sluggy.com/) I wont spoil it by telling you what it is about, but its pretty funny.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:39 PM   #49
Occasionally around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
So, given the diversity of people's tastes on these forums, this thread could potentially be about anything, right?

I just wanted to start a thread about other types of geeky interests we all might share, since we already have some threads in this forum that are "about anything". As much as I enjoy talking about gaming, it gets old after awhile.

So, knock yourself out Squinky. Post away.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:42 PM   #50
Occasionally around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YesIAmNot View Post
i liked pride of Baghdad. i'll have to check these other ones out

I haven't read them yet, but I've heard Y: The Last Man and Ex Machina are excellent.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:28 PM   #51
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Most of this thread has been about western Comics, what about the Mangos?

What ones do people here read?
Old 07-27-2008, 08:55 PM   #52
Unreliable Narrator

I haven't found a single one that I liked enough to read regularly. I do recall starting Full Metal Alchemist years ago, though. (Both the manga and the anime, that is.) Pretty cool, but not enough to get into devoutly. I think that's probably the case with pretty much everything I read that's part of a lengthy series. I've got a lot of other, more productive stuff that sucks up my time.
Old 07-28-2008, 03:01 PM   #53
Occasionally around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo View Post

Personally, I haven't had a chance to get into manga yet. But I tend to watch the anime versions instead. But manga is very popular here too now.

What series have you enjoyed?
Old 07-29-2008, 06:42 AM   #54
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

Psst! Did someone say manga?!
I'm currently reading/collecting, well, a lot of shônen titles:

Naruto
Bleach
Fullmetal Alchemist
O-Parts Hunter (a.k.a. 666 Satan)
Hunter x Hunter
Hôshin Engi
Shaman King
Dr. Slump
Excel Saga
Neon Genesis Evangelion

Inuyasha (Hurray, it finally ended in Japan! But at the rate that Viz is releasing the manga (still flipped?!), it'll take 5 1/2 more years for it to finish in North America!)

X/1999 (or just X if you prefer, and I wonder if Clamp will ever finish this title! Probably not while they're so busy with Tsubasa and xxxHolic. )

Many of you know that I'm also a very big anime fan too. If anyone wants to see, I can repost some of pics of me in my best anime costumes!

And yes, I've read/collected the occasion American comic too, including:

Watchmen (waaaay back when it was released in monthly issues!)

X-Factor (only the first few years, when it was about the original members of X-Men)

300, Sin City, V for Vendetta, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Hellboy

*suddenly realizes all of these titles were turned into movies! Hmm...*
Old 07-29-2008, 12:34 PM   #55
Occasionally around...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkyo View Post
Psst! Did someone say manga?!
I'm currently reading/collecting, well, a lot of shônen titles:

Naruto
Bleach
Fullmetal Alchemist
O-Parts Hunter (a.k.a. 666 Satan)
Hunter x Hunter
Hôshin Engi
Shaman King
Dr. Slump
Excel Saga
Neon Genesis Evangelion

Inuyasha (Hurray, it finally ended in Japan! But at the rate that Viz is releasing the manga (still flipped?!), it'll take 5 1/2 more years for it to finish in North America!)

X/1999 (or just X if you prefer, and I wonder if Clamp will ever finish this title! Probably not while they're so busy with Tsubasa and xxxHolic. )

Many of you know that I'm also a very big anime fan too. If anyone wants to see, I can repost some of pics of me in my best anime costumes!

And yes, I've read/collected the occasion American comic too, including:

Watchmen (waaaay back when it was released in monthly issues!)

X-Factor (only the first few years, when it was about the original members of X-Men)

300, Sin City, V for Vendetta, The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Hellboy

*suddenly realizes all of these titles were turned into movies! Hmm...*

There's a big anime convention in The States in the city of Atlanta, Georgia. I always enjoy seeing the costumes online from that one. Post some pics man!
Old 07-29-2008, 03:55 PM   #56
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

OK, OK, here are pics of me in the costumes I wore at the past several Anime North conventions in Toronto, Canada (usually held every May).
Enjoy... or not! :

On the right as Perfect Cell (Dragon Ball Z), Anime North 2001, with my best pal as Basara Nekki from Macross 7

Taomon (Digimon Tamers), AN 2002 - My second favourite past costume! It was really tough for me to clomp around all weekend in those giant foxfeet. I won a special workmanship certificate for this one, "Most Mystical", whatever that means!

Dark Sage (Yu-gi-oh!), AN 2003 - The best costume my sis and I have made so far! We both won awards for this one, and I was voted "Most Magical".

Baron Humbert von Gikkingen (The Cat Returns, Whisper of the Heart), AN 2004 - I didn't want to look like a reject from Cats (human face with cat features), so I opted to make a mask instead. The eyeholes are where the whiskers stick out. Thank goodness it only covered my face, if it covered my whole head I probably would've suffocated! Ah ha ha.

Yupa Miralda (Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind) AN 2005 - Some annoying fangirl wanted to take a pic of me licking the tip of the sword. Ugh, no thanks.

Kankuro (Naruto), with "Scare-Karasu", AN 2006 - Yep, I'm the one in the front right, with the puppet head and arms sticking out of the bandages. I did this to make my costume stand out from the other Kankuros I knew would be at the photoshoot!

"Hawkeye" Mihawk (One Piece), AN 2007 - I look like some kind of pirate pimp, don't I ??!

Sadly, I didn't make a costume for this year's Anime North , but my sis and I are already planning next year's, a not-often-cosplayed character from Bleach!
Old 07-29-2008, 05:53 PM   #57
Second Degree Black Belt

I wouldn’t say "pirate pimp".....well yes I would Look on the bright side you had a really big sword

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 07-31-2008, 12:36 PM   #58
Occasionally around...

Wow, those are great costumes Trunkyo! Very cool. The anime fans definitely go all out. I've gone to some comic conventions in the past and not nearly enough folks dress up for them compared to anime conventions.

Thanks for sharing them with us.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:40 PM   #59
Occasionally around...

Topic: Anime

Ok, I just got done watching Ergo Proxy. Can someone tell me what happened the last few episodes? I got kind of lost with the story. Re-L and Vincent and Pino were in the desert, and then suddenly they are in the city, humans are killing all the robots, Vincent meets his "other self"...I got confused on the "other self's" explanation on why the Proxies existed in the first place and where they came from.

I don't know but the last two or thee episodes got me confused. Besides, that, great series.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:59 AM   #60
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo View Post

I prefer reading bananas.

Never got into Manga. My favourite music video station was showing some Manga serial a few weeks ago (in the middle of the night) and I couldn't even follow the action in the episode. Let alone the overall story.

Missed the opening titles so I can't tell you what it was either.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree