You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2010, 07:00 PM   #3241
The Major Grubert.

Exercising my purgative to skip Lee's questions, which I can only partly relate to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post
1. Strict rules or free improvisation?
2. When's the exception to that?
3. Favourite music you're unfamiliar with? (Yes, I realise that's an odd question.)
  1. Both. See the next answer.
  2. Too many exceptions exist between to make a binary decision re: question #1. Many of us have our strict rules (especially for those of us with a bit OCD), and yet many of those strict rules necessarily force free improv for sanity sake. I sometimes dare myself to improv, just to shake things up on the strict side.
  3. Not odd at all. Music is odd; there are so many genres that I'll never get to. If I had to pick an easy and obvious one (for me), it would be classical. It's kind of like French wines--if I get into it too deep, how can I go back to enjoying the other genres that I've amassed interest in over the decades? I'm a bit scared of it. But I like it.
  1. Do you have any favorite music that you keep to yourself because you're concerned how your friends will take it? Anything from Barry Manilow or Niel Diamond or John Denver that would garner laughs, to uppity fusion or progressive and avant guard works or just weird art rock that would illicit frowns?
  2. Are you okay with the OCD in you?
  3. How do you feel about a "million notes per minute" players like Yngwie Malmsteen?
Old 07-04-2010, 12:31 AM   #3242
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
1) What music do you have in your possession that you consider so 'out there' that you rarely if ever listen to it, and virtually never with company?
2) What is the weirdest thing you've ever shared with someone? (And no, I don't mean secrets, though they can be. It could be kabuki theater masks, rhinestone codpieces, or just your favourite klezmer folk ensemble.)
3a) Do you have any spots on your body that are so sensitive to the touch that you literally flinch or jump when even your lover/partner/husband/wife touches you there?
3b) Do you still like them to touch you there anyway?
The things I do for cute, decadent old men...

1. I don't have anything that fits that description on my hard drive at the moment. The stuff I bother keeping is usually the stuff I find pleasing to listen to. (but not necessarily that others find pleasing to listen to... but then, I never have company that often, and when I do, I prefer entertaining them with live music instead, if anything)
2. Hard to say, really; many of my default interests are things a lot of people will consider weird. That said, I did (and still do) always get particularly fun reactions when reciting all the decimal places of pi I can recall from memory.
3. I have a sensitive spot right below my [REDACTED] that's so uncomfortable that I refuse to [REDACTED], but I do enjoy being [REDACTED] there in all the right ways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
I could cheat here and say the weirdest thing I ever shared with anyone was myself, but actually, I think the weirdest thing I've ever shared was my novel, Terminal Monday. Only one person has read it all the way through, as far as I know. Extraordinary achievement, that.
No, the extraordinary achievement is that you finished the novel and shared it with me. If I haven't yet mentioned how proud of you I am for doing so, I'll gladly do so now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
  1. Do you have any favorite music that you keep to yourself because you're concerned how your friends will take it? Anything from Barry Manilow or Niel Diamond or John Denver that would garner laughs, to uppity fusion or progressive and avant guard works or just weird art rock that would illicit frowns?
  2. Are you okay with the OCD in you?
  3. How do you feel about a "million notes per minute" players like Yngwie Malmsteen?
1. Dude, I think you've just described my entire music collection.
2. Only when it helps me get stuff done rather than hinders it from doing so.
3. Like it's going to take me a looooong time to beat the Guitar Hero version of that song.

---

1. Do you ever make up silly little songs and/or interpretive dances to help you remember things?
2. If you had to teach a high school English class, what are three works of fiction you'd assign to your students?
3. If I promised to throw a fabulous birthday/game launch party this November, would you come?
Old 07-09-2010, 01:48 PM   #3243
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
1. Do you ever make up silly little songs and/or interpretive dances to help you remember things?
2. If you had to teach a high school English class, what are three works of fiction you'd assign to your students?
3. If I promised to throw a fabulous birthday/game launch party this November, would you come?
1. No
2. Hrm, not sure about what I should choose for an English class. But for a Swedish class I'd choose:
Hemsöborna by August Strindberg, The Emigrant Series by Willhem Moberg and Ronia, The Robber's Daughter by Astrid Lindgren
3. If I could afford the flight overseas I'd love to come.

-------
1. Do you prefer to work alone or in a team?
2. How do you feel about getting challenged in a debate?
3. How do you feel about your current work/study situation?
Old 07-10-2010, 01:07 AM   #3244
kamikaze hummingbirds

1. I like to work in a team of my friends and people I like and am confident around -- if that isn't possible, I'd rather work on my own.

2. I'm quite bad at debating -- the problem being that my opinions are sometimes less 'informed' than those of others; and having to think of stuff to say in front of people totally off-the-cuff would result in some stammering and nonsensical gibberish.

3. University is fun.
__

1. What do you think of the 'D.I.Y. ethic' in music, film, games, etc.?

2. Is music still good if it cannot be performed live, in your opinion?

3. How soon is now?
Old 07-10-2010, 02:58 PM   #3245
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
Exercising my purgative to skip Lee's questions, which I can only partly relate to
Fair enough.

Quote:
The things I do for cute, decadent old men...

1. I don't have anything that fits that description on my hard drive at the moment. The stuff I bother keeping is usually the stuff I find pleasing to listen to. (but not necessarily that others find pleasing to listen to... but then, I never have company that often, and when I do, I prefer entertaining them with live music instead, if anything)
2. Hard to say, really; many of my default interests are things a lot of people will consider weird. That said, I did (and still do) always get particularly fun reactions when reciting all the decimal places of pi I can recall from memory.
3. I have a sensitive spot right below my [REDACTED] that's so uncomfortable that I refuse to [REDACTED], but I do enjoy being [REDACTED] there in all the right ways.
*grins*
Quote:
No, the extraordinary achievement is that you finished the novel and shared it with me. If I haven't yet mentioned how proud of you I am for doing so, I'll gladly do so now.
Flattery will get you everywhere.
Quote:
1. Sometimes. Not mnemonics or anything like that. Just little melodies to accompany the words and get them to stick in my head. I don't think I've ever used dance steps in a like fashion.
2. The Hound of the Baskervilles (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle), The Name of the Rose (Umberto Eco), and And Then There Were None (Agatha Christie).
3. I can make no promises, because frankly, a lot would have to change for that to be logistically feasible... or a lot would change because of it. However, I would love to be able to do so, were it possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
1. Do you prefer to work alone or in a team?
2. How do you feel about getting challenged in a debate?
3. How do you feel about your current work/study situation?
1. These days, alone. I think I've answered this one earlier this year.
2. I don't enjoy debate. At all.
3. Not ideal. I need to find a place where I can clear my head and focus on my writing. That just hasn't been possible in my apartment lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite View Post
1. What do you think of the 'D.I.Y. ethic' in music, film, games, etc.?
2. Is music still good if it cannot be performed live, in your opinion?
3. How soon is now?
1. Gotta start somewhere.
2. Yes. But it's more fun with great drums.
3. Nothing in particular.

1) What do you think is your deepest fear?
2) What widely-held fear do you not find particularly scary?
3) Do you dislike when fear creeps into some story you were enjoying that wasn't supposed to be a horror story?
Old 07-10-2010, 09:00 PM   #3246
Unreliable Narrator

1. Rape.
2. Being alone.
3. Yes, especially when I'm not in the right head space for it.

---

1. Are you any good at being friendly to people you don't like?
2. How about to people who don't like you?
3. Do you trust people who are friendly to you but have no reason, in your mind, to like you?
Old 07-11-2010, 02:55 AM   #3247
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
3. Do you trust people who are friendly to you but have no reason, in your mind, to like you?
1. Yes, up to a certain level of course.
2. There are no people who don't like me
3. I trust no one unless they have earned my trust.

----
My answers to Lee's interesting questions:

1. My deepest fear is that no one will attend my funeral.
2. The commonly shared deepest fear I don't find so scary is death.
3. I certainly dislike fear creeping into a story that is not supposed to be a horror story. I don't like horror stories at all.

It's too hot to come up with questions. People can answer Squinky's questonions again or come up with new ones.
Old 07-11-2010, 03:46 AM   #3248
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
1. Yes........ I have a pretty good poker face.
2. I try really hard to be nice to them ( if I know they dont like me that is)
3. I don't trust many people at all. Whether or not we are friends, I just dont trust people easy.

1. Favorite time of year ?
2. Do you like to clean (heavy duity) weekly ?
3. Do you have any allergies ?

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 07-11-2010, 08:58 AM   #3249
Unreliable Narrator

1. These days, labour day weekend, due to a certain video game convention.
2. Absolutely not. There are far more important things to be done most weekends.
3. Penicillin.

---

1. How do you deal with people who are attracted to you when you aren't interested?
2. How do you deal with people you're attracted to who aren't interested in you?
3. Do you feel suspicious of people who are attracted to you but have no reason to be because you have nothing in common?
Old 07-11-2010, 09:36 AM   #3250
Lazy Bee

Quote:
1. How do you deal with people who are attracted to you when you aren't interested?
2. How do you deal with people you're attracted to who aren't interested in you?
3. Do you feel suspicious of people who are attracted to you but have no reason to be because you have nothing in common?
1. When I was younger (in my 20s) I felt uneasy and awkward about it. (I have a certain person in mind here.) Today it doesn't bother me and actually rarely happens.
2. If I get attracted to another person these days, it's most likely an intellectual attraction (honestly never felt I wanted to pursue anything romantic or sexual with anyone else than Mr J). If I don't get a response I might get a bit disappointed and then decide he or she is a bloody highbrow.
3. No. Attraction can happen for many different reasons.

---------
I like Squink's questions!
And I'd like to read the answers from someone else as well.
Quote:

Last edited by Jelena; 07-11-2010 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Better choice of words
Old 07-11-2010, 12:04 PM   #3251
kamikaze hummingbirds

1. This hasn't really happened ever, to my knowledge. I wouldn't be a dick about it, though; I'd let them down easily, possibly try to make friends or something and later end up putting them off with the natural nuances of my personality... or something.

2. I'm usually pretty down about it; I'm happy, however, if I can make a decent impression and make them like me a little, if not in 'that' way. In short, I've discovered recently that 'unrequited love' can be a positive thing, that I can learn from.

3. At this point, I feel sort of suspicious and disbelieving of any instance in which someone displays any evidence of being attracted to me. As for the nothing-in-common thing, I can sometimes hold a conversation with people who are different to myself so it wouldn't be a huge problem.
__

DIFFICULTY THINKING OF QUESTIONS AND INTERNET TROLL SPECIAL, FEEL FREE TO AVOID THE SHODDY QUESTIONS
1. Can Internet trolls be entertaining, do you think?

2. Best instance of 'trolling'?

3. Worst?
Old 07-11-2010, 10:22 PM   #3252
Unreliable Narrator

1. They were when I was like 14, but then I developed this nifty thing called empathy.
2. I thought it was funny that one time King Super from the SCRAMM forums pretended to be Ted L. Nancy.
3. I avoid anything related to 4chan like cooties.

---

1. Name something you started doing before most people your age.
2. Name something you didn't do until long after most people your age started.
3. If you could alter history and be statistically normal at either of those things, would you?
Old 07-12-2010, 02:23 AM   #3253
kamikaze hummingbirds

1. Due to my thoughts running away with me during a fit of boredom, as well as later circumstances, gaining a moderate fear and fascination with death. (I'm not crazy, honest).

2. Make decent contributions to conversations? Most people are pretty decent at that generally, and I figured out that I've gotten somewhat decent at it at a party a few days ago.

3. I wouldn't change it so I was statistically normal, but I might shift it a tad towards that area.
__

These questions again because: I like them, the last questions I axed were gash, and I only very recently did le questiones.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:07 AM   #3254
Failed Birthday Elf

Quote:
1. Name something you started doing before most people your age.
2. Name something you didn't do until long after most people your age started.
3. If you could alter history and be statistically normal at either of those things, would you?
1. I Joined English Heritage at 25 years old (along with Mrs Degree) so we could go and see old castles and ruins! Generally the only other "young" people we see there are taking their children.

2. I didn't start learning to drive until I was about 23. I suppose it was just that I couldn't afford to run a car at university and then there was no room for a car back at home on my parents drive anyway (and parking meters on the road!). Also, being in the London area, public transport is pretty good so not so much need.

3. I certainly wouldn't change the first and I don't think I'd change 2 either.

1. Have you ever "fallen in love" with a character in a book? (or film, but that's definitely not as interesting!).

2. What are the most important things you look for (or think you look for ) in a partner? Rank these in order: (feel free to add your own)
  • Looks
  • Personality
  • Money
  • Status/Job
  • Sense of Humour

3.1 Objectively, how honest do you think your answers to 2 are?! - i.e. how do they match reality, partners you have or have had?
3.2 Take the first and last ones on your list and elaborate! What, precisely, do/don't you want?
Old 07-12-2010, 10:00 AM   #3255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Degree View Post
1. Have you ever "fallen in love" with a character in a book? (or film, but that's definitely not as interesting!).

2. What are the most important things you look for (or think you look for ) in a partner? Rank these in order: (feel free to add your own)
  • Looks
  • Personality
  • Money
  • Status/Job
  • Sense of Humour

3.1 Objectively, how honest do you think your answers to 2 are?! - i.e. how do they match reality, partners you have or have had?
3.2 Take the first and last ones on your list and elaborate! What, precisely, do/don't you want?
Answers-

1. I've never fallen in love with a character in a book or movie, I consider myself a hardcore realist who still enjoys fiction greatly. I HAVE fallen in love with a work of fiction though, to the point where I wish I could escape into that world. Examples would include games like the Monkey Island series, The Longest Journey, Syberia series, the Elder Scrolls series, EverQuest and some various other extremely atmospheric and story-rich games. Movies and TV shows less so, since they're not nearly as interactive, but I'd have to say I've always loved the X-Files as well as Battlestar Galactica (the newer series). Those are probably the best works of fiction I've seen in recent memory, and I love them through and through.

2. In order:
a. Morals and faithfulness
b. Personality and sense of humor (I consider these to be equally important)
c. Intelligence
d. Looks
e. Drive to succeed (rather than job)

I consider all those important for what its worth.

3. They're pretty accurate. I've been dating my GF for 8 years now, we've been through good and bad and we're still together after all this time, mostly due to #1. She is attractive, but I don't love her explicitly for her looks, but for a combination of all of the above.

--

Questions -

1. If you could take back any one thing you regret doing to someone else, what would it be?

2. If you could live in any world from any work of fiction whether video game, movie, tv show or book, which would it be and why?

3. What is the approximate air speed velocity of an unladen swallow?
Old 07-12-2010, 10:04 PM   #3256
Unreliable Narrator

1. Turning into the most horrible psycho ex-girlfriend ever when my first relationship failed.
2. Grim Fandango, because I'd look fabulous as a skeleton in a dinner jacket.
3. I will not buy this tobacconist's, it is scratched.

---

1. Rank the following things in importance when it comes to choosing a partner: a winning smile, stylish facial hair, good spelling and grammar, ballroom dancing skills, nunchuck skills, rich parents, big boobs, a well-endowed package, an identical twin, the ability to bake a delicious pumpkin pie, the ability to transform into an animal, the ability to tie a knot in a cherry stem using only one's tongue.
2. The devil challenges you to a battle for your soul, and you get to pick the challenge. What will it be?
3. Has a fictional character ever fallen in love with you?
Old 07-13-2010, 04:16 AM   #3257
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
2. Grim Fandango, because I'd look fabulous as a skeleton in a dinner jacket.
I was struggling to think an answer for that question earlier, when perusing this thread -- but I think that's what I'd pick; the world of Grim Fandango is probably the only afterlife concept I've ever really liked the look of.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:12 AM   #3258
Failed Birthday Elf

Quote:
1. Rank the following things in importance when it comes to choosing a partner: a winning smile, stylish facial hair, good spelling and grammar, ballroom dancing skills, nunchuck skills, rich parents, big boobs, a well-endowed package, an identical twin, the ability to bake a delicious pumpkin pie, the ability to transform into an animal, the ability to tie a knot in a cherry stem using only one's tongue.
2. The devil challenges you to a battle for your soul, and you get to pick the challenge. What will it be?
3. Has a fictional character ever fallen in love with you?
1. Funnily enough, the order you put them in is exactly what I would choose!

2. Maybe a not-being-the-devil competition? Either that or the quickest speed run playthrough of GK1!

3. When I was a young teenager I lied about having gone out with a girl who I happened to be in a photo with when really we were just friends. Actually thinking about it a little more that doesn't answer the question at all so no!

1. What would you rather go completely without for a year, the internet or adventure games?

2. What was your favourite cartoon as a child (or as an adult if you like but it must still be a children's cartoon).

3. Can publicly humilliating someone be justified under any circumstances?
Old 07-15-2010, 06:55 AM   #3259
kamikaze hummingbirds

1. Adventure games. There are other genres of games to enjoy, and the Internet is big.

2. Showing my generation, probably The Simpsons -- enjoying them as a kid while it was in what is generally accepted as its golden age, and being able to rewatch them now and appreciate the subtleties I didn't notice before is a very good thing indeed. It's a shame that the newer ones don't reach that high quality (though some are still alright, to be fair).

3. It can never be 100 percent justified -- perhaps in a fit of anger however, it could appear to be justifiable.
__

1. What's your opinion on minimalism; specifically in the arts?

2. What unusual thing makes you feel slightly happier? (for example, for me it's the smell of damp earth)

3. Do you ever feel that generally accepted notions of what your homeland's cultural characteristics are contrast with what you personally see as the cultural characteristics of your homeland?
Old 07-16-2010, 12:45 PM   #3260
Unreliable Narrator

1. I tend to like it. Simplifying things into their essence is nice.
2. Writing code that works.
3. No, the generally accepted notions aboot Canada are pretty much right on, eh?

---

1. What, to you, is good comedy?
2. What is you favourite medium for comedy?
3. Do you think Hammerite will get more attention from the ladies if he wears nothing but a towel, rides a horse backwards, swan dives into a hot tub, and wears Old Spice?