You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2010, 03:37 PM   #3281
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

1. Eh. Autographs don't excite me. I pass.
  2. I don't know. Possibly, I've never tested it.
  3. "You don't know me yet, but you will.". Ooh, or "Hey, I'm you from the future!". Or "Hi, future dad.". Who am I kidding- I'll believe absolutely anything if the person saying it says they're from the future. I'm a sucker for time travel. You might think I'm joking, but I'm not. I want so desperately to believe in time travel.

==============================================

1. Are there any childhood dreams you had which still have appeal to you?
  2. Are there any childhood dreams you had which have lost all appeal?
  3. What's the least clichéd thing you've ever really desperately hoped for?
Old 07-22-2010, 11:48 AM   #3282
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

1. The one about making video games.
2. I remember wanting to be a doctor like my mom when I was a kid. That one quickly died when I realised how much I can't stand that much schooling. I think I also wanted to work with animals, but that one died as well when I realised I prefer admiring most animals from a distance.
3. For a certain someone to have a sex change so that it would be more socially acceptable for us to be together. (Yeah, I know, right?)

---

1. What's the best investment you've ever made? (not necessarily financial)
2. What's the worst investment you've ever made?
3. What investment you've made has given you the most unexpected results?
Old 07-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #3283
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
1. If you had a once in a lifetime chance to get one thing you own signed by its creator, what would it be?
2. Does caffeine have a significant effect on you?
3. A dishevelled stranger comes up to you claiming to be from the future. What would they have to say to get you to believe them?
1. I wouldn't mind having my copy of From Hell signed by Alan Moore...
2. It usually makes my brain do amazingly lifelike things like organize and process information, and formulate reactions to said datum. Sadly, some days, caffeine just isn't enough.
3. They'd have to know how Terminal Monday ended for me to take them seriously. Because of course, Terminal Monday will be the most widely-studied piece of literature on the planet in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL View Post
  1. Are there any childhood dreams you had which still have appeal to you?
  2. Are there any childhood dreams you had which have lost all appeal?
  3. What's the least clichéd thing you've ever really desperately hoped for?
1. Yup. I still want to be a writer, artist, cartoonist and musician.
2. I have gotten over my desire to be an astronaut. I would, however, still like to get off this planet for a bit, so Doctor, if you're out there reading this, I'm ready to travel, sir!
3. I would greatly love to wake up tomorrow and find that my wife has had a change of heart and decided she'd really like to live in a house with Jenn, Deirdra and I.

Quote:
1. What's the best investment you've ever made? (not necessarily financial)
2. What's the worst investment you've ever made?
3. What investment you've made has given you the most unexpected results?
1. My first, second and third computers.
2. The last five years.
3. I didn't expect that buying a copy of The Longest Journey would eventually lead to me meeting one of the few people I love unreservedly.

1) Can a person really change the world with a song?
2) Can a person really hope to find happiness if they can't decide where their heart belongs?
3) Could all of this really just be a fantasy in the mind of a comatose wannabe songwriter trying to shake off the effects of drug and alcohol poisoning in 1994?
Old 07-22-2010, 05:00 PM   #3284
Not like them!

1. No.
  2. Sure, if it's the sort of dumb person who doesn't think about things much. The more you think, the more you realize what needs to be done. No thinking, no regrets. This person would just need to be reasonably lucky.
  3. Ummm... I guess? I get from the rhyme that this is a reference, but I really don't know popular music. It's too much like poetry, which I have no interest in.

====================================

1. Do you like poetry?
  2. Why?
  3. Which do you prefer- goofy poetry or serious poetry?
Old 07-22-2010, 08:59 PM   #3285
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
  1. Do you like poetry?
  2. Why?
1 + 2. No. Reading it hurts my eyes because of the short sentences. Most literature and thus also poetry here in NL is made by pretentious pricks who think they're very intellectual. It makes my skin crawl.
3. Goofy. I like Step's poetry but I wouldn't buy a book full of it.

1. Why are you important for humanity?
2. Name something you think everyone should do for humanity.
3. Why have you/haven't you done that?
Old 07-23-2010, 05:29 AM   #3286
Not like them!

1. Because each of the games I make does something which no one else has done. I therefore am adding something significant to culture. Whether positive or negative, isn't for me to say. But significant.
  2. Each and every person ought to cultivate their own uniqueness. Every person should try to be someone unlike everyone else, and do things other people wouldn't do. That way they're adding to society, rather than being redundant.
  3. I try to be unique. And of course, I could be trying harder. I think the reason goes back to when I was a little kid. I couldn't really fit in, so I had to figure out who I was outside of the group. And over the years, I've gotten very comfortable with that.

===============================================

1. In parenting, where should the balance be between making children better people, and making children happy?
  2. If you had been made more constantly happy as a child, how would you be different today?
  3. Imagine that a perfect clone of you were raised in an entirely different environment, by totally different people. What character traits would you definitely share with that person?
Old 07-23-2010, 11:11 AM   #3287
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
  1. Do you like poetry?
  2. Why?
1. I like some of it, yes. Generally, I prefer writing it than reading it.
2. It's a fun intellectual exercise to have to figure out where all the words need to go, sometimes more so than writing prose, because you have to distill it.
3. Sarcastic poetry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
1. I don't think I'm particularly important to humanity. There are individuals and groups of humans who appear to enjoy my company and appreciate what I have to offer, sure, but in the grand scheme of things, I don't see myself as particularly significant or irreplaceable, as much as my egotistical side would love that to be the case. I believe importance in a global sense needs to be earned, and that can't really be measured until I'm long gone from this world.
2. I agree with Mory: cultivate your uniqueness, which really means being the best version of yourself you can be instead of a mediocre version of someone else. I will also add: don't be a jerk.
3. Like Mory, I had trouble fitting in as a little kid, so it was very easy to adopt an identity as an outsider and consequently, reject a handful of norms that many people take for granted. I'm working on the not being a jerk part, but what has helped me in that regard is learning about the areas in which I have privileges and the areas in which I don't, and realising that other people's privileges and lack thereof are different from mine.

Quote:
  1. In parenting, where should the balance be between making children better people, and making children happy?
  2. If you had been made more constantly happy as a child, how would you be different today?
  3. Imagine that a perfect clone of you were raised in an entirely different environment, by totally different people. What character traits would you definitely share with that person?
1. Who says those two things have to be diametric opposites? Of course you shouldn't spoil your kids, but you shouldn't abuse them in the name of making them "better" either. I think the best parents love their children unconditionally, but also help them become more resilient by making them aware of injustice that already exists in the world, which they're going to have to experience eventually.
2. That would probably mean less bullying in school, I suppose. I would have had less of an understanding of what it meant to be different and spent more time as a spoiled brat, but I'd like to think that because of who I am, I would have figured it out eventually, just more slowly. I'm used to being a late bloomer in many respects, anyway. *shrugs*
3. Introversion, creativity, curiosity, hypersensitivity. Maybe social awkwardness and corresponding low self esteem.

---

1. You meet an attractive person of your preferred gender who's so much like you in so many respects, and understands you better than anyone else you've ever known ever has. You fall deeply and passionately in love. Then, you discover that you're siblings separated at birth. What do you do?
2. Did/do you enjoy being a student? If so, what made it enjoyable? If not, what could have made it enjoyable for you?
3. What, in your opinion, is the most effective way of disciplining a child?
Old 07-23-2010, 12:31 PM   #3288
kamikaze hummingbirds

1. I'd be kind of devastated, but I'd also feel so awkward that it would completely put me off pursuing a relationship anyway; I'd try to be friends though.

2. I enjoy being a student, the first month was absolutely frightening and I felt like a failure because of my lack of confidence... but then I managed to make a few friends and I'm looking forward to enjoying my second year with my newfound slightly-heightened self-esteem.

3. I suppose skillful use of boundaries -- don't 100 percent encourage or discourage them regarding certain things; show them respect, while ensuring that they know what is right and wrong... if that makes any sense.
__

Good questions, these, so I'm passing them on.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:57 PM   #3289
Not like them!

Quote:
1. You meet an attractive person of your preferred gender who's so much like you in so many respects, and understands you better than anyone else you've ever known ever has. You fall deeply and passionately in love. Then, you discover that you're siblings separated at birth. What do you do?
2. Did/do you enjoy being a student? If so, what made it enjoyable? If not, what could have made it enjoyable for you?
  1. To heck with propriety- I'd want to spend every waking minute with that girl. That's the closest anyone outside a science-fiction story could ever get to falling in love with themselves, and that kind of opportunity is not to be turned down under any circumstances.
  2. No, I did not remotely enjoy being a student. I learn by doing, I don't learn by being taught. To be more enjoyable, it should not have involved any sort of standard curriculum with a standard pace, but it should have just been interesting information which you can volunteer to learn at your own pace. I would have gotten much farther under a system like that; as it is, I never even finished the few subjects I was really good at because I lost interest.
  3. Three strikes: The first time you see the bad behavior you explain the social principle that makes this bad behavior. (If this stops the behavior, you praise the kid for it.) The second time you see similar behavior, you just tell them "Don't do that!", expecting that the principle has been remembered. (If this stops the behavior, no particular response is called for, because that would encourage a start-and-stop attitude to rule-breaking.) The third time you see the same behavior, there is an immediate punishment. From then on, there is no tolerance at all for the behavior because it's expected that the rule has been understood. This routine needs to be used consistently with every rule the parents consider important and by both parents equally, or else it won't be obvious to the child that they can't get away with ignoring their parents' instructions. If there are less than three chances it creates confusion, but any more than three and it creates the mindset of seeing how much the child can get away with.

=============================================

1. Imagine a person who you'd break social conventions for.
  2. What sort of situation would you lie or deceive others for?
  3. What rule (self-imposed or otherwise) would you never break under any circumstance?
Old 07-28-2010, 03:07 PM   #3290
Unreliable Narrator

1. Don't really need to do much imagining; he already exists. I wouldn't ignore all social conventions for him, mind you, but I'd certainly let go of a few, and already have when it comes to a few others.
2. The kind where lying would be safer and less harmful to myself and people I care about than other alternatives, and where there was little chance the truth would be exposed.
3. I'm unable to bring myself to sleep with a married man, more because I'm too emotionally fragile for the consequences than anything else.

---

1. Which would hurt you more: if your partner left you for honest reasons, or if they stayed but lived a lie the whole time?
2. Which would hurt you more: if your partner told you they slept with someone else but didn't love them, or if they told you they loved someone else but didn't sleep with them?
3. Do you ever feel like you're still a kid trapped in an adult's body?
Old 07-29-2010, 04:04 PM   #3291
Not like them!

1. In principle the former, though I may just be saying that because of how the question was worded. In practice, I think it would be a very complicated question and would depend on lots of different variables. For instance: Do I actually love this partner? How big is the lie? And so on.
  2. Even moreso than the first question, this depends on the circumstances. If the intention of the "love but no sex" statement was that there hasn't been sex yet, that's different from her saying "I think I might have feelings for this guy, so I'm going to make an effort to not see him again.". But in general, the sex is much worse.
  3. Eh, I'm not trapped. I'm basically just a kid; my appearance, the way people treat me, there's nothing there that prevents me from acting the same way I always did. So I tend to look at the beard and the respect as just an added bonus, not a prison. (I'd probably feel differently if I weren't still welcome in my parents' house.)

1. How often do you use e-mail?
  2. How often do you use social sites like blogs, Twitter or Facebook?
  3. Let's say there are ten people who ask you to get in contact with them, each by their own preferred internet service. Which one would you be most likely to get back to?
Old 07-30-2010, 03:58 AM   #3292
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
  1. Do you like poetry?
  2. Why?
1. Some. I'm not a big poetry fan, but I dabble now and then.
2. Because well-written poetry has a certain flexibility of expression that is hard to find anywhere else in human endeavour. That said, I prefer song lyrics.
3. Serious.

Quote:
1. Because no one writes as many lesbians and bisexuals in genre fiction as I do. No, just kidding. the reason I am important is that I have the access codes to all of the nukes, and I'm not afraid to use them. I can't be bribed, but boy howdy can I be seduced.
2. Practice procreation. A lot.
3. Well, I'm out of practice, but that's just the state of my current relationship. *sigh*

Quote:
1. If you're doing it right, your child should be happy while growing to be a good person.
2. I'd probably have bigger entitlement issues than I do now. Mind you, I'd probably be less insecure, and thus more accomplished.
3. A love of creativity and curvy women, I'm sure.

Quote:
1. *chuckles* Well, assuming we figure it out in time, I suppose we'd have to sit down and have the whole nine heads discussion. Then I guess we'd get sterilized and move to the country to live in sin. *looks around to see how many people shy away* Just kidding. Honestly, I'm sure that it wouldn't get that far. I've lived with the fear of dating my own sister for decades, based on my philandering father's wandering ways.

Still, you know what they say in the back country...
2. I didn't enjoy every facet of being a student, but it had its good points. I liked the concentrated focus on being creative. I liked the room to experiment. Real life doesn't afford me too many opportunities to just play and try out new ideas.

Oh yeah, and the girls...
3. Know what rules you plan on enforcing, and stick to the rules from start to finish. Children lose respect for parents who can't stick to their guns. If you're going to be flexible, do so infrequently, and as a reward for good behaviour.

Quote:
  1. Imagine a person who you'd break social conventions for.
  2. What sort of situation would you lie or deceive others for?
  3. What rule (self-imposed or otherwise) would you never break under any circumstance?
1. Okay, I'm imagining her. Now what?
2. When the truth simply can't make the situation better, I'll keep it to myself. I rarely actually lie. Omit, yes. Outright prevaricate, no.
3. I'll never abandon someone I love.

Quote:
1. Which would hurt you more: if your partner left you for honest reasons, or if they stayed but lived a lie the whole time?
2. Which would hurt you more: if your partner told you they slept with someone else but didn't love them, or if they told you they loved someone else but didn't sleep with them?
3. Do you ever feel like you're still a kid trapped in an adult's body?
1. Hmmn. This sounds familiar. If Dawn wanted out, I'd rather she left than spared my feelings. That said, I don't think that's what we're talking about here, are we?
2. Neither. The only thing that would hurt would be if they told me they no longer love me.
3. Every. Damn. Day.

Quote:
  1. How often do you use e-mail?
  2. How often do you use social sites like blogs, Twitter or Facebook?
  3. Let's say there are ten people who ask you to get in contact with them, each by their own preferred internet service. Which one would you be most likely to get back to?
1. Daily. Sometimes several times a a day, when I'm doing work with/for someone out of town.
2. I blog once or twice a day on average. I also update my status on Facebook two or three times a day on average, except Saturday nights, when I post Youtube video links for about two to three hours straight.
3. Deirdra or Jenn. Everyone else could wait.

1) Do you mind if I don't ask any questions today? I don't seem to be getting the answers I'm looking for anyway.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:23 PM   #3293
Unreliable Narrator

1. I don't mind, though I'll admit to being a wee bit disappointed. Don't feel bad about it, though. *hugs*

---

1. If you had to fight in any war in history, and if you were guaranteed not to get hurt, which war would it be?
2. If you could completely replace English with any other language, living or dead, which one would it be?
3. If you had the opportunity to punch one person in the face, living or dead, without any consequences, who would it be?
Old 07-30-2010, 06:00 PM   #3294
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
1. If you had to fight in any war in history, and if you were guaranteed not to get hurt, which war would it be?
2. If you could completely replace English with any other language, living or dead, which one would it be?
3. If you had the opportunity to punch one person in the face, living or dead, without any consequences, who would it be?
1. The 80-year war between the Dutch and the Spaniards. We had sort of an old-fashioned Afghanistan war going on then: we sold cannon balls to the Spaniards, they would shoot them at us, and we would sell them again. In that war there was also a twelve-year period in which we didn't fight. I'd like to fight in that period thank you.
2. Dutch.
3. While there are a few persons I really don't like, I wouldn't want to punch them in the face.

---

Yesterday I came up with some interesting existential/religious questions:

1. How does Heaven fit in the theory of evolution?
2. What physical characteristics must an organism have in order to be eligible for going to Heaven?
3. Why didn't Darwin come up with these questions?
Old 07-30-2010, 07:42 PM   #3295
Unreliable Narrator

1. When society evolves enough, it'll pretty much be heaven.
2. Long hair, a beard, and a calm, soothing voice. And sometimes glasses.
3. Because he obviously had better things to do than play silly forum games.

---

1. How does hell fit into the theory of evolution?
2. What physical characteristics must an organism have in order to be eligible for going to hell?
3. If all your friends were going to hell, would you want to go there too?
Old 08-01-2010, 09:49 AM   #3296
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
1. I won't lie; I have absolutely no interest in fighting any war. That said, I think I'm historically most interested in the first and second world wars, and the Crusades. I wouldn't fight in them, but I'd slip through as an impartial observer, perhaps saving the occasional life if I could figure out how without screwing up history.
2. Simlish!
3. You know, try as I might, I can't think of anyone I want to punch in the face, though I was pretty close to the breaking point with Jashim a few months ago. I'm over it now.

Quote:
1. How does Heaven fit in the theory of evolution?
2. What physical characteristics must an organism have in order to be eligible for going to Heaven?
3. Why didn't Darwin come up with these questions?
1. Whose heaven are we talking about here? Mine has plenty of room for the Theory of Evolution.
2. One suspects that the afterlife requires that you have had a corporeal form of one sort or another, and that you were essentially mortal in that form.
3. Didn't he? I don't know. I never actively studied the writings of Darwin. He probably mused over those problems as well. He's just not known for them the way he is for the whole primitive ancestry thing. Personally, I've never had a problem reconciling spirituality and science.

Quote:
1. How does hell fit into the theory of evolution?
2. What physical characteristics must an organism have in order to be eligible for going to hell?
3. If all your friends were going to hell, would you want to go there too?
1. I tend to think that hell is nonsense. The notion that spiritual failure leads to eternal damnation sounds like some overbearing parental bullshit story designed to keep the plebes in line. I'm far more inclined to believe that we reincarnate, and that this corporeal existence is as close as we get to true damnation. Screw up and you have to come back and endure this crap again and again. It's like Groundhog Day on a lifelong cycle. That's hell enough for me.
2. Apparently, genitalia. Personally, I think the most likely organ is the brain. Give a monkey a brain and everything gets complicated.
3. If all of my friends were on their way to hell, I'm quite sure I'd be at the front of the line, because I'm easily the most heretical of the pack.

1) Have you ever wondered if this is as good as it gets?
2) Have you ever hoped this is as bad as it will ever get?
3) Have you ever wanted to stop being who you are for five minutes, so you could do everything you wouldn't dare do as yourself, and thus set yourself up in such a way that you could live more happily after the five minutes are up?
Old 08-02-2010, 10:41 AM   #3297
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
Personally, I've never had a problem reconciling spirituality and science.
I feel the same way.

Quote:
If all of my friends were on their way to hell, I'm quite sure I'd be at the front of the line, because I'm easily the most heretical of the pack.
That's why we love you, dear.

Quote:
3) Have you ever wanted to stop being who you are for five minutes, so you could do everything you wouldn't dare do as yourself, and thus set yourself up in such a way that you could live more happily after the five minutes are up?
1. Sometimes.
2. Frequently.
3. Not that I can recall, but I think what it really means is that you need to make some changes to yourself. And that, I can very much relate to. *hugs*

---

1. If we assume reincarnation happens, how old do you estimate your soul to be?
2. Also assuming reincarnation happens, how much longer do you expect your soul to live?
3. After you die, do you hope the afterlife includes some insight into how your actions affected others?
Old 08-02-2010, 01:09 PM   #3298
Not like them!

1. That's a heck of an assumption. But to play along, my soul is a little over 12 hours old right now. I get a new one each time I fall asleep. Dreams are the part of the new soul's training that (due to small imperfections in the process) aren't forgotten.
  2. Assuming I go to sleep when I usually do, I'd say 2 hours and 54 minutes.
  3. If I believed in an afterlife (though I don't), I'd want it to give me whatever the heck I wanted, in whatever quantities I wanted, whenever the heck I wanted it. On occasion (and with an eternity to spare), that would be likely to include an understanding of what my life really meant. So yes. I guess it would be the afterlife equivalent of Googling yourself. Which I do, from time to time.

1. Define "waste of time".
  2. Define "friend".
  3. Define yourself, with roughly the same amount of detail that you used in answering the first two questions.
Old 08-03-2010, 02:14 AM   #3299
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Just for fun, I'll try answering my own questions for a change:
1. A bit too often, really. I would probably be like this even if I hadn't heard of that movie. I've always had a tendency towards glass-is-half-emptiness.
2. It could almost be my daily mantra. There is a distinction between the two questions, but it's not just the glass is half full thing. See, where we might have that moment where we look at our lives, good and bad, and just go, 'What if this is as good as it gets?', the latter question is the one you only ask when things just seem to be wrongwrongwrong, and you can't figure out how to make it change. It's more of a prayer to whatever spirit juju you draw power from to just clear this mess up, before it devours you. And that's something I can really identify with these days.
3. In truth, I don't think I could justify the five minutes of amorality and uninhibited selfishness. But the question says a lot about the person asking it.

Quote:
1. If we assume reincarnation happens, how old do you estimate your soul to be?
2. Also assuming reincarnation happens, how much longer do you expect your soul to live?
3. After you die, do you hope the afterlife includes some insight into how your actions affected others?
1. I get the very sad feeling I've either been at this so long, I'm hopeless, or I've come to the game late, and still haven't figured out how it works. I do feel a certain affinity to a number of decades, which leads me to suspect I may have lived through a few of them, though perhaps not for very long in some cases.
2. Probably a lot longer than I'm comfortable admitting.
3. Oh goodness, I kind of bounce back and forth between wanting to know everything and wanting to forget as much as possible. That may be relevant to the first two answers, actually.

Quote:
  1. Define "waste of time".
  2. Define "friend".
  3. Define yourself, with roughly the same amount of detail that you used in answering the first two questions.
1. The bits you look back on and think 'dammit but that set me back at least two years! Why did I stay so long? Did I really gain anything from that lesson?'
2. The parts of you that aren't attached, and require entertainment to stay in touch.
3. The part of me that needs the most work, because there is some question as to whether anything I've done has taught me anything I'll need when this life is over.

1) What activity will you endure to get to do something you love?
2) What person will you endure to spend time with someone you like/love?
3) What musical piece or album will you endure listening to from front to back to savour that one musical moment or song that just sings to your soul, but which you would otherwise probably never listen to again?
Old 08-04-2010, 02:28 PM   #3300
Unreliable Narrator

1. I do what many people would consider to be hack work to finance my ability to make my own games free of the constraints of the industry. Of course, it helps very much when said hack work is for people I don't have a problem supporting and providing my services for. Very, very much.
2. When I love them, I'll endure just about anyone. When I merely like them, I make more of an effort to avoid the sorts of people I dislike.
3. You know, I honestly can't think of anything. I have no attention span for such things when it comes to music. How very Gen Y, indeed.

---

1. What, for you, makes the difference between loving someone and merely liking them?
2. Do you ever find yourself threatened by people you perceive as more popular/conventionally beautiful/socially accepted than you are, even if they've never done anything to hurt you personally?
3. Are there any works of fiction that you love, but have no problem admitting are flawed in some way?