You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2010, 07:34 AM   #3181
Lazy Bee

Edit: oops, I missed that tsa had added questions. I'm adding them here:
Quote:
1. What are the worst emotions you experienced? Anger, love, fear, etc...
2. Why?
3. When do you feel best?
1. Jealousy I think.
2. It brings out the worst in you.
3. When I'm with my family and we're doing something all together. Either just a normal family dinner or a journey of some sort. For instance our Christmas vacation was wonderful. All of us together for two whole weeks. (Look at the mother-hen who is about to see her kids leave the nest. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
1. If you could automatically become fluent in any language you don't already know, which one would it be?
2. Would you move to a city you hate to be with someone you love?
3. Should "alot" be a dictionary word?
1. Spanish
2. Probably. I've move several times in my life, and when moving in with my (at that time boyfriend) husband I actually left Stockholm for the small town I live in today. Not that I hated this town, but I loved living in Stockholm.
3. No

-----------
1. To what length to you groom yourself in order to look good?
2. To what length does fashion influence you while shopping?
3. Do you believe it's possible not to be influenced by commercials? Please elaborate.

Last edited by Jelena; 06-02-2010 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Adding tsa's questions and my answers.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:13 AM   #3182
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
1. How do you see the current financial crisis in your own life?
2. Would you switch profession to get a better job?
3. How much would you like to earn in a new job?
1. I've been financially strapped for so long, I hardly notice the current crisis.
2. I would really like to be a professional author.
3. I think that, if I were bringing in as little as $40K CAN a year, I'd be comfortably content. Even $35K, and that's not really a lot of money, except by my standards. But if I finally bought a house, I'd probably need a bit more.
Quote:
Sadly, I missed last Saturday, but next time, you should play this.
Thank you. I'll try to remember it.
Quote:
Then you need to hang out with people who admire you. Like me.
You're too good to me. *hugs stuffing out of*
Quote:
1. If you could automatically become fluent in any language you don't already know, which one would it be?
2. Would you move to a city you hate to be with someone you love?
3. Should "alot" be a dictionary word?
1. I really would like to speak French much better. Although a whimsical part of me is tempted by Gaelic.
2. The only people I love enough to move to live with all live either here or in fabulously interesting cities I'd love to spend time in, so no real hardship there.
3. I suppose it isn't already, right? too bad. I say give it time.
Quote:
1. What are the worst emotions you experienced? Anger, love, fear, etc...
2. Why?
3. When do you feel best?
1. Fear and Self-Loathing in Limbo.
2. Honestly, it comes and goes, but my life hasn't always been reassuring. I stress about a lot of stuff that I have no control over, and I rarely feel I have the right to just do what I know I need to in order to achieve my dreams. It's made me a pretty unhappy guy.
3. Writing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
1. To what length to you groom yourself in order to look good?
2. To what length does fashion influence you while shopping?
3. Do you believe it's possible not to be influenced by commercials? Please elaborate.
1. Shower, shave, brush teeth, pick out a respectable but comfortable outfit, and maybe wipe my shoes down a bit if they're looking grungy.
2. I have absolutely no sense of fashion these days. I'm still dressing like I did in the 90s when I thought I was going to be a rock star... when I'm not wearing sweat pants and tee-shirts, that is.
3. I don't watch commercial television, and I live in a city that doesn't have a great deal in the way of billboards (which I mostly overlook). The only effect advertising seems to have on me is in terms of graphic design. I sort of absorb new styles and experiment with them as projects come my way. That said, I'm aware that mass media has had at least some effect on my perception of what society considers to be 'beautiful'. Fortunately, I'm mostly over it.

1. Do you have an 'ideal' height/weight/shape for potential sexual partners?
2. Do you tell potential partners up front what your physical preferences are?
3. Do you tell potential partners up front what your sexual likes and dislikes are?

Yes, I know these are pretty loaded questions. If you don't feel comfortable answering them, go give Jelena's questions a spin. I enjoyed them quite a bit, myself.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:55 AM   #3183
Freeware Co-ordinator

Well, happily married for some years now but I think I can handle these.
  1. I don't have any preferences as such. It's generally the non-physical qualities I find attractive. Brains and personality. I do have a thing for women in glasses (glasses are sexy ) but it's not a deal-breaker if they have perfect eyesight. I don't find black women sexually attractive though I couldn't tell you why (It's not a racist thing). I can tell when a black women is attractive (in the same way that, despite being heterosexual, I can see why certain men are thought attractve) but I just don't get that sexy feeling.
  2. As I don't generally have specific preferences it never really came up before I was married. I would be up-front if I just didn't find a woman attractive in that way. (wouldn't want to lead someone on) I'd also make it clear that was no reflection on them. I have told women that they are attractive but I'm happily married in the past.
  3. Even were I single I wouldn't discuss my preferences as a matter of course. I'd need to feel a connection before that could even be considered a topic of conversation. I'd feel uncomfortable saying "I fancy you so if/when we do it these are things I want you to do/not do".
Let's try some morbid questions.
  1. If you had a choice of how you were going to die, how would you prefer to go?
  2. How would you like to be remembered once you're gone?
  3. What about you would you rather people forgot once you're gone?
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 06-02-2010, 11:05 PM   #3184
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
1. Do you have an 'ideal' height/weight/shape for potential sexual partners?
2. Do you tell potential partners up front what your physical preferences are?
3. Do you tell potential partners up front what your sexual likes and dislikes are?
1. Yours.
2. Oh man, it's been a loooong time since a potential partner even existed for me.
3. ...who wasn't inconveniently married, that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
I do have a thing for women in glasses...
I got hit on far more often when I used to wear glasses. True story. That said, I'm still happier with perfect eyesight.

Quote:
  1. If you had a choice of how you were going to die, how would you prefer to go?
1. Quickly, before I have a chance to physically and mentally deteriorate. I like quitting while I'm ahead.
2. I'd like some of the games I've made to still run on modern computers.
3. Various stupid things I've said and done that unintentionally hurt people because I can't for the life of me understand how to think like a normal person.

---

1. Do you like being busy?
2. What do you wish you did more of in your free time?
3. What do you actually do when you have some free time?
Old 06-02-2010, 11:25 PM   #3185
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
1. Yes, it's a nice feeling to have something to do and knowing you are capable of doing it.
2. Play adventure games, tend to the garden, read and write.
3. Not much because usually I'm too tired.

---

1. Would you call yourself lazy?
2. Do other people call you lazy?
3. Do you like being lazy?
Old 06-12-2010, 03:49 PM   #3186
Unreliable Narrator

1. Occasionally.
2. My parents are the only people brave enough to say so to my face.
3. Generally no, but there are definitely times when it's necessary.

---

1. What's your favourite remedy for a cold?
2. What's your favourite thing to do on a Saturday night when you're all by yourself?
3. What's your favourite thing to do on a Saturday night when you're all by yourself... with a cold?
Old 06-12-2010, 07:13 PM   #3187
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
2. What's your favourite thing to do on a Saturday night when you're all by yourself?
3. What's your favourite thing to do on a Saturday night when you're all by yourself... with a cold?
  1. Really, just time. I take zinc and plenty of other supplements, but you know, once you're down, it pretty much needs to run the course. Sorry you're down Squinky!
  2. The internet is my motor-car when I have no social occasions.
  3. Well, the interwebs and TV are pretty much all you have when you're honking into tissues, eh?
Old 06-13-2010, 01:38 AM   #3188
kamikaze hummingbirds

1. Tends to be a DVD, reading, games binge -- which can make me feel somewhat more lethargic after a while, due to lack of activity, but it's cool.

2. I sometimes feel sad; the reasons will usually relate to the fact that I have a crush on one of them, or the fact that my general shyness sometimes annoys me...

3. Moreso. Because I go out more, so I feel like I'm getting the best of both worlds.
__

1. When you're at a record shop or similar, how do you feel when the vendor complements you on your purchase?

2. What thing that you commonly see or experience in the world bores you intensely?

3. Is there ANYTHING you would recommend to your fellow forumites, if so what is it?
Old 06-13-2010, 06:42 AM   #3189
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite View Post
1. When you're at a record shop or similar, how do you feel when the vendor complements you on your purchase?

2. What thing that you commonly see or experience in the world bores you intensely?

3. Is there ANYTHING you would recommend to your fellow forumites, if so what is it?
1. It's a good thing, if they also show that they know what they're talking about, and follow up with a recommendation. As an example, I bought the Acid Brass CD as a result of such a recommendation.

2. There are things I see that make me glad, and others that make me sad, but I can't think of anything that I commonly see that bore me.

3. Many things, but the Acid Brass CD I mentioned earlier is good. It's a traditional British brass band (The Williams Fairey Brass Band) that plays acid house anthems. A bit unusual, but quite good.

--

1. How often do you get head-aches?
2. Do you think that's more or less often than the average person?
3. Favourite kind of chocolate?
Old 06-13-2010, 10:49 PM   #3190
Flower bower bird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post
1. Hardly ever - maybe once a month, and it's usually if I forget my sunglasses while driving
2. Probably less than average
3. Anything within reach; my motto is "Chocolate: It's not just for breakfast."
--------------------
1. If you could meet and chat with any famous person from history, who would you choose?
2. What literary character would you most like to meet?
3. If you could enter books like Thursday Next in Jasper Fforde's novels (The Eyre Affair, Lost in a Good Book, etc.) what books would you choose?
Old 06-14-2010, 10:02 PM   #3191
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
1. Preferably still possessing all my mental faculties. As for what killed me, I'd like it to be sex.
2. As having made more people think about doing the greatest amount of good by learning to be themselves.
3. That I was short, balding, chubby, and sexually frustrated with a mediocre *ahem*.

Quote:
1. Yours.
2. Oh man, it's been a loooong time since a potential partner even existed for me.
3. ...who wasn't inconveniently married, that is.
*blush*

Quote:
1. Yes, so long as I'm not tired.
2. Wrote fiction.
3. I don't really have what I consider free time, but I spend a great deal of my time keeping my wife company.

Quote:
1. Would you call yourself lazy?
2. Do other people call you lazy?
3. Do you like being lazy?
1. Yes.
2. I imagine some do, though not to my face.
3. No. I actually work pretty hard, but I have periods where I can't keep going and need to stop. It's the downtime that makes me feel lazy.

Quote:
1. OJ and chicken soup.
2. Well, I'm never by myself on Saturday nights anymore, but I do like to post videos on Facebook. Before Dawn, I used to listen to music, drink Guinness, work late into the night on projects, and periodically masturbate to relieve tension if the project were especially inspiring.
3. Listen to music and goof off on my computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
2. Do you feel sad when you're not sick on a Saturday night when you see FB friends posting their out-on-the-town exploits? If so, why?
3. Are you okay with the idea that you are more of a home-body and not a out-on-the-town person like so many of your friends seem to be?
2. Ummm... I have no idea how to answer that, so here's a bunny with a pancake on its head.
3. The term is Recluse, sometimes referred to as a Hermit. I'm comfortable with that epithet.

Quote:
1. Hasn't happened in a while. I used to like talking shop with the girls in Cheapies, but I don't get in there much anymore.
2. Tim Hortons coffee shops.
3. Only get your prospective sexual partner drunk if they specifically order you to do so first... and then be prepared to be very disappointed.

Quote:
1. Frequently, due to neck and back aches, which are chronic.
2. Probably on par for people not suffering a brain hemmorhage.
3. Dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Kestrel View Post
1. If you could meet and chat with any famous person from history, who would you choose?
2. What literary character would you most like to meet?
3. If you could enter books like Thursday Next in Jasper Fforde's novels (The Eyre Affair, Lost in a Good Book, etc.) what books would you choose?
1. I really would have liked to meet Philip K. Dick, even if he was a little paranoid at times.
2. Donald Shimoda.
3. I really think I would like to explore the novels of the Diskworld series.

1) If you could meet or perhaps have a date with any one internet celebrity, who would it be?
2) If you could have your favourite musician play at said meeting/dinner date, who would you hire?
3) If you could only bring one gift for said date, what would it be?
Old 06-16-2010, 04:24 PM   #3192
Unreliable Narrator

1. Charlie the Unicorn.
2. Eduard Khil of Trololo fame.
3. A Brita water filter.

---

1. Do you enjoy competitions?
2. Do you learn effectively in a classroom setting?
3. Do you work well under pressure?
Old 06-16-2010, 09:20 PM   #3193
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
1. No.
2. I don't think so because I'm mostly autodidact. I almost never went to class when I was still a student.
3. No. My body collapses then.

---

1. Can you concentrate with people around you?
2. Do you usually get your work done before the deadline?
3. Does your boss try to understand your position when something is wrong?
Old 06-17-2010, 12:49 AM   #3194
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
1. Usually, yes. As a bassoon teacher, that's a must, but I also find that I like to have people around when I'm doing something solitary (such as working on a game). Except when I hit some really tricky programming. Then I tend to get a bit irritable if I get disturbed.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.

--

1. Favourite Miles Davis period?
(For those not so familiar with Miles, here are a few samples in different styles:
Walkin' - Hard bop. Early Miles.
So What - From the record "Kind of Blue". Laid back Miles.
Bitches Brew - First jazz-rock fusion. Strange Miles.
Human Nature - Yes, it's the Michael Jackson song. Pop Miles.
Doo Bop - From his last CD. Doo Bop Miles.)

2. How much does the weather influence your mood?
3. How much do other people influence your mood?
Old 06-17-2010, 07:13 AM   #3195
kamikaze hummingbirds

1. I haven't heard much Miles Davis, but I liked 'In A Silent Way' - I can hear the influence on the later Talk Talk albums.

2. It generally has some affect on my mood; if it's sunny and I'm cooped up inside with nothing to do, I generally get quite down and lonely... whereas being alone and indoors on a rainy day is fun, whatever I do for some reason. Sunny days and cloudy days make me happy just walking around with music on, too. Et cetera.

3. People I like influence my mood moreso than people I don't like -- but generally, people influence my mood a lot.
__

1. What is your opinion on remixes?
2. What unconditionally makes you happy or sad?
3. What are you excited about / anticipating?
Old 06-18-2010, 12:11 AM   #3196
Freeware Co-ordinator

1. Generally speaking I don't like them. They tend to screw up good songs without doing anything good themselves. They only really work when the original is mediocre or poor so they isn't anything to really screw up. (e.g. the Hard Rock version of KPMG's Vision of Global Strategy)
  2. Hugs with Mrs Urhan.
  3. Mrs Urhan returning from her trip to Germany. Haven't seen her since Monday.
  1. If money wasn't an issue, what would you do with your life?
  2. Do you visit any other forums regularly and, if so, which ones?
  3. Do you prefer to come up with your own questions for this thread or selectively "borrow" from others?

Cold Topic

Old 06-18-2010, 02:06 AM   #3197
Failed Birthday Elf

Quote:
Hugs with Mrs Urhan...

Mrs Urhan returning from her trip to Germany. Haven't seen her since Monday.
I don't know why, but I LOVE to see good & happy marriages! Good for you Step!

Quote:
  3. Do you prefer to come up with your own questions for this thread or selectively "borrow" from others?
1. Write and produce/perform music, games and books (nothing like a self published work!) I enjoy all of the above but don't really have the time to commit to having a serious go at doing it properly so would love to try and see if i'm any good!

2. I'm a fairly regular lurker/poster on the AGS forums, and sometimes drop in on the Sarcastic Gamer forums, mostly because I enjoy their podcasts, as the average age there is probably a little below mine!

3. I like to try and come up with my own questions although sometimes they may well refer to others!

1. Are there any songs/pieces of music that are in a genre you would usually dislike but that you like?

2. Do you get on better as part of a team or going solo? (deliberately open ended...)

3. Do you have any interest in the social element of online games? i.e. you might not want to play an MMO because you dislike the RPG game style (e.g.), but does joining an online "clan" or group of people for gaming purposes sound good in a game style you like?
Old 06-18-2010, 02:00 PM   #3198
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
1. Not really. I'm not terribly comfortable with the spirit of competition, in myself especially.
2. Depends entirely on the teaching style, I found. I'm terrible at rote memorization exercises, but anything that involves lots of open discussion or practical examples with explanations worked great for me.
3. Sometimes, so long as I don't have a lot of outside interference.

Quote:
1. Sometimes, depending on what those people are doing. If they're asking me a lot of questions, not so much. Doubly so if they're asking me to do chores.
2. Sadly, not often, unless everyone leaves me the hell alone... and I'm really into the project.
3. The last one thought he was pretty understanding, but frankly, we were a bad match, he and I.

Quote:
1. Favourite Miles Davis period?
(For those not so familiar with Miles, here are a few samples in different styles:
Walkin' - Hard bop. Early Miles.
So What - From the record "Kind of Blue". Laid back Miles.
Bitches Brew - First jazz-rock fusion. Strange Miles.
Human Nature - Yes, it's the Michael Jackson song. Pop Miles.
Doo Bop - From his last CD. Doo Bop Miles.)

2. How much does the weather influence your mood?
3. How much do other people influence your mood?
1. I like the hard bop and jazz fusion stuff, but I think the laid back stuff suits my tastes best.
2. I like snow. and I like autumn leaves. And I like mild sunny days. and I like a little bit of rain. Overall though, weather isn't that big a deal for me. I like a variable climate. It keeps my year moving.
3. Too much.

Quote:
1. What is your opinion on remixes?
2. What unconditionally makes you happy or sad?
3. What are you excited about / anticipating?
1. I can live without them.
2. Happy = warm smiles
Sad = dead critters
3. I have no immediate plans that I am looking forward to at this moment. I am mildly attracted to the idea of finishing one of my current writing projects, so I can reward myself with a Guinness.

Quote:
1. What I'm doing now, only uninterrupted: writing fiction, comics, games and music.
2. I used to hang out at the Comic Book Resources forums, but that was years ago. The closest I get to forums outside of this one these days are Livejournal and Facebook, and they're not really the same thing.
3. I like madly improvising questions after having answered a batch of questions myself. I find it interesting to see where my mind goes after having opened up and answered a long series of questions the way I do. It's a kind of therapy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense Degree View Post
1. Are there any songs/pieces of music that are in a genre you would usually dislike but that you like?
2. Do you get on better as part of a team or going solo? (deliberately open ended...)
3. Do you have any interest in the social element of online games? i.e. you might not want to play an MMO because you dislike the RPG game style (e.g.), but does joining an online "clan" or group of people for gaming purposes sound good in a game style you like?
1. Hmmn. I like a few country songs. Mostly smart, cheeky and sarcastic ones. Not Billy Ray Cyrus.
2. I like collaboration, and have achieved things in collaboration that I couldn't have done otherwise. That said, I prefer solo work, by a few ticks. I think it's just my age. Men in their thirties tend to be control freaks.
3. I didn't think so, when I first started playing MMOs, but I fell in with a great guild of people, and was utterly spoiled for other guilds after that. Just about every guild experience I've had since then has been a misguided effort to repeat my first guild experience. I'm currently semi-retired from MMOs.

1a) Have you ever played a multiplayer game... that felt like a good adventure game makes you feel?
1b) Were you alone, or were you actually playing with someone else?
2) Have you ever met anyone totally new on a social networking site or application, who went on to become a close friend or loved one?
3) Have you ever tried to create something with someone over the internet?
Old 06-18-2010, 10:47 PM   #3199
Unreliable Narrator

1. I've had moments like that in the MMO of life, sometimes alone, sometimes with other people. Other than that, no, I haven't found anything that compares. I'm pretty hard to please.
2. Not close friends, but I've been introduced to a few people over Twitter who I like and respect and would enjoy having long chats over coffee with, and in some cases, already have. (That is, unless Web 1.0-style social networks like forums count; in that case, the answer is an emphatic yes.)
3. I'm still trying.

---

1. Describe what happened the last time you levelled up in the MMO of life.
2. Have you ever been to E3? If so, how was it? If not, would you like to?
3. What household cleaning product can you absolutely not live without?
Old 06-18-2010, 10:57 PM   #3200
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
1a) Have you ever played a multiplayer game... that felt like a good adventure game makes you feel?
1b) Were you alone, or were you actually playing with someone else?
2) Have you ever met anyone totally new on a social networking site or application, who went on to become a close friend or loved one?
3) Have you ever tried to create something with someone over the internet?
1a. Depends on your definition. If you're talking about MMOs then the open-world needed for them tends to hamper the story-telling element in my experience. If you're talking something like Neverwinter Nights where you and several friends can adventure together then ocassionally.
1b. See above. It's the having several friends (rather than just random people) that tends to make the difference.
2. Yes to the close friends part. I'm still regularly in touch with several people I met on a (now defunct) message board and I like to think I've made good friends here. My loved one (Mrs Urhan) I met through bellringing in the real world. My family (who could also be considered loved ones) I got via a great "Pay Now" deal on eBay.
3. Given the mention of "loved one" in the previous question I originally read "create something" entirely differently. I've been involved in creative projects over the internet but usually at the tail end (proof-reading and beta-testing) so it's very much helping to fine-tune someone else's creation rather than any sort of collaboration.

Ack, Simulpost with Squinky

Quote:
1. Describe what happened the last time you levelled up in the MMO of life.
2. Have you ever been to E3? If so, how was it? If not, would you like to?
3. What household cleaning product can you absolutely not live without?
  1. I suppose getting my professional certification counts as leveling up. There was a big ceremony at the Barbican where I (and my contemporaries) got to go up on stage and get our certificates individually. Unfortunately I bowed in acknowledgement to the standard congratulations from the head of my professional body so I look odd in my official photograph.
  2. Never been to E3. I'm not a big fan of crowds so I doubt I'd enjoy it overly. If I could get access out of hours that would be good though.
  3. Neutradol. For when our cat does a pongy poo right after we've cleaned her litter tray. (vexing animal that she is)
  1. Do you ever ask questions here, hoping a particular individual will answer them?
  2. Do answers ever leave you wanting to know more details?
  3. Are any of your questions ones you'd like to answer yourself?

Cold Topic

Last edited by stepurhan; 06-18-2010 at 11:04 PM.