You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The AG Community Blog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2010, 09:02 AM   #6061
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
I hope you have lots of fun in London, Jelena. I'm very jealous...
Thanks Fantasy. And don't be jealous, you're on your way there as well aren't you?

Anyway, any forumite who's in London during the 19th -22nd of November and wants to meet for a cup of tea/a pint/lunch/etc. just PM me. My daughter and I arrive in the morning on the 19th and leave before noon on the 22nd.
Old 10-28-2010, 10:37 AM   #6062
Stalker of Britain

Hey all. Guess what? Today is Louie and I's 2-year anniversary. I can't stop smiling all day, that someone cares so much for me. There was a Halo tournament yesterday, and Louie kicked butt and got to pick his prizes...which were a butterfly t-shirt and sexy high heels for me. He's so sweet. Well, everyone else was picking the type of prizes he wanted, but it was still so nice of him to think of me... <3
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 10-28-2010, 11:04 AM   #6063
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
Hey all. Guess what? Today is Louie and I's 2-year anniversary.
Congrats Fantasy and Louie!
Skål!
Old 10-28-2010, 11:34 AM   #6064
tsa
Playing character

Congratulations to the cute couple! Santé!
Old 10-28-2010, 12:41 PM   #6065
Pixiehunter

Congratulations Fantasy and Louie! You are such a cute couple, it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy to see how cute you are together.
Cheers! And on to the next many years of happy together-ness
Old 10-28-2010, 06:18 PM   #6066
Stalker of Britain

Aww, thanks Jelena-Mom, tsa, and Luna!

We had an awesome time. We both had to work tonight, but I got someone to take his shift (we both work at the front desk), and we got all dressed up and went to an Italian pizzaria and had an awesome and romantic night.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 10-30-2010, 03:43 AM   #6067
Life and times of...

Just had to say that, even though I don't drink it myself, I'm at my aunt's house right now and she had Neuschwansteiner beer (with the picture of the castle and all). Then nobody believed me about my Neuschwanstein and Ludwig II knowledge and I had to prove it to them from Wikipedia.

Thank you GK2
Old 10-30-2010, 10:05 AM   #6068
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
Thank you GK2
*like*
Old 10-31-2010, 12:29 PM   #6069
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
Just had to say that, even though I don't drink it myself, I'm at my aunt's house right now and she had Neuschwansteiner beer (with the picture of the castle and all). Then nobody believed me about my Neuschwanstein and Ludwig II knowledge and I had to prove it to them from Wikipedia.

Thank you GK2
Oh man how many time I have been in situations like that I don't know. And people are always surprised that you can learn from computer games
Old 11-04-2010, 01:40 PM   #6070
tsa
Playing character

We had a big project meeting during the last two days, here at the University. I gave a talk of only 15 minutes (thanks, professor!) that was very well received. I got a lot of interesting questions and suggestions. I learned a lot about the field that I am in now (oil recovery), which is always handy for the future. Hopefully I will be back in my beloved nanofabrication field soon after the end of my contract on Dec. 1st. Who knows I can use the new knowledge there
Old 11-04-2010, 06:02 PM   #6071
Creepy Father Figure

There's a lot of research going on in Austin. Come to Texas dear friend and we will shut down 6Th Street.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:16 PM   #6072
It's Hard To Be Humble

Does anybody remember a few year sago when I recorded a song called The Dream Falls, about the disappointment people had with the game?

Well, I've started rerecording it, It's still just a demo, but here's a link to the post I made in the music blog:
Etcetera Thesis Music - The Dream Falls demo 2010

Yes, I know the vocals need work. It'll take more than one rushed take to nail this darling.

Please, check it out and tell me what you think.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:03 AM   #6073
Freeware Co-ordinator

As you say, the vocals need a little work but as you're already aware of that I won't comment further on that point.

I like the rhythm of the words, especially the rising and descending lines (the ones that would be considered a chorus) and the use of varying lengths is effective. The tune and the words fit together well (nothing worse than a singer trying to cram in extra syllables when they won't fit). Personally I'd prefer a bit more depth (maybe another instrument) but I lean towards hard-rock/metal most of the time so that may be more to do with my own musical preferences.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 11-05-2010, 03:30 AM   #6074
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
I like the rhythm of the words, especially the rising and descending lines (the ones that would be considered a chorus) and the use of varying lengths is effective.
That chorus is waiting for some harmony, but I haven't figured out what I want Gary to sing there, at least in part because I'm waiting for his guitar part to come together. As for the melody, I don't normally like to sing along with the bassline, but it's a very melodic bassline, and hard to resist echoing.
Quote:
The tune and the words fit together well (nothing worse than a singer trying to cram in extra syllables when they won't fit).
Been there, done that. It's taken a long time to get the balance just right, as I tend towards very wordy lyrics.
Quote:
Personally I'd prefer a bit more depth (maybe another instrument) but I lean towards hard-rock/metal most of the time so that may be more to do with my own musical preferences.
Well, punk pop isn't really my milieu anymore than reggae or new wave, but the recent spate of songs have all been very genre-specific exercises. They were written very intentionally as short pop numbers with an 80s flavour, and The Dream Falls is no exception.

That said, I'm a progressive rock fan myself, and I've listened to plenty of hard rock and heavy metal in my time as well. I just haven't written any songs lately that reflect that. Frankly, I've been a bit leery of writing anything I can't be sure of getting real live musicians to play someday, but part of my plan when the current raft of songs is complete is to finish writing my first proper prog rock opus. I actually hoped to be started by now, but progress through the pop album is taking longer than I'd hoped.

I'd love to play you things like Thick & Thin or The Last Stand or Bleed Into One, just to hear your reaction. Sadly, I lost a number of archival digital rips of older material that had a lot more tooth to it. A number of my favourites are still in desperate need of rerecording though, so it's probably just as well.

All that goes to say thank you, good sir. Hopefully something in the next couple of albums proves to be a little more your speed.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:19 AM   #6075
Freeware Co-ordinator

If you've got links to other stuff then I'd be glad to hear them (PM them if you'd rather not put too much in the forums)

Sad to hear some of your archived stuff is lost. Re-record if you can. I'd hate to see stuff lost forever.

Had another listen (it bears re-listening so that's got to be a good sign.) It's when you get into the singing that the guitar part seems to thin out a bit. The opening instrumental doesn't sound as much in need of more support.

Got anything like this or this? (I do listen to gentle music as well on occasion. I've even got a Polyphonic Spree album somewhere)
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 11-05-2010, 07:00 AM   #6076
Life and times of...

Quote:
I've even got a Polyphonic Spree album somewhere)
Like, in this game here?

Which is a bit similar to this cool game I thought you should know about, even though it's day might not be quite now.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:35 AM   #6077
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Got anything like Stone Sour or Slipknot? (I do listen to gentle music as well on occasion. I've even got a Polyphonic Spree album somewhere)
*chuckles* Now I really wish I had a copy of The Last Stand laying around somewhere. that was kind of a Moroccan Roll number, a la The Tea Party (via Led Zeppelin, of course). I do have Thick & Thin, though. It's a strange number, but it's got balls.

In truth, I rarely got what I would consider to be intense performances from Etcetera. The drummer wanted to be in Queen, the guitar player wanted to be Pearl Jam, the bass player wanted to be at home, but would settle for being in Rush, and I wanted to be in King Crimson, but was willing to settle for Genesis if I could get it. Go figure. In the end, we mostly sounded like a bad Saga cover band. Any hard rock lyrics I wrote before joining Etcetera never got used.

Incidentally, I like the sound of Stone Sour, though they have that post-grunge Creed thing going on. Slipknot I never really got into. And Polyphonic Spree's first album was fun, but I don't particularly regret not picking up anything they've done since.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:44 PM   #6078
tsa
Playing character

I got my v in the mail today! Oh man, my Mac feels like new! Vvvvery nice!
Old 11-06-2010, 05:53 AM   #6079
kamikaze hummingbirds

HEY BLOG YOU MAD OLD SOAK

Life seems to be going quite well, thus far. I'm getting on well with my current housemates (apparently I'm the funniest person ever) and some music I did is being featured on an electronic/ambient-ish compilation thing from a Boards of Canada webforum.
Sorry I ain't posting so much recently, hope all's well.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:46 AM   #6080
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite View Post
Sorry I ain't posting so much recently, hope all's well.
I got my V so what can be wrong?