You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The AG Community Blog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2008, 12:17 PM   #2761
tsa
Playing character

Oh yes I remember that from my first chemistry lesson at University. I had been smart enough to start reading a LOT of English at high school already because I figured I needed it, but many people really had problems with having to read English all the time. And in Germany you have the disadvantage that all the programs on TV have voiceovers so you never hear English, or at least not as much by far as we in the Netherlands do. We do everything with subtitles here, which learns you to read and to understand foreign languages more quickly.
Old 10-29-2008, 02:00 PM   #2762
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa View Post
Oh yes I remember that from my first chemistry lesson at University. I had been smart enough to start reading a LOT of English at high school already because I figured I needed it, but many people really had problems with having to read English all the time. And in Germany you have the disadvantage that all the programs on TV have voiceovers so you never hear English, or at least not as much by far as we in the Netherlands do. We do everything with subtitles here, which learns you to read and to understand foreign languages more quickly.

Even with Japanese?

Because that's what all the stuff in the history lesson is in. Japanese. And Kanji to boot.

If it was in English, I would have no problems, having visited an International school where everything was in English. Though I guess my class mates would have a bit more trouble.

Oh, but I was so happy when I got to read out loud a Shakespearean poem in "Methods of Japan Scientific working", when it turned out that we have *NO* native English speakers (the teacher wanted to have a native speaker if possible, so it was done properly), and the one person from South Africa that raised their hand turned out to be unable to read it from his seat (I really got the impression several of my fellow students could use glasses...I wouldn't have been able to read it without glasses, but since I was wearing them, I had no problem.). When the teacher asked why he had raised his hand then, he said he just thought he wanted a native speaker (though really, English is not the native language of South Africa, last I checked). When he read my last name, which is rather German, he sounded doubtful, but I think he was rather impressed at how well I read it. I even managed to read it in a good rythm, though I did sound a bit breathless because I was so nervous. Oh, and I pronounced the "Thou" correctly. ^_^

Also, though we didn't have an English native speaker on hand, we did have a Russian native speaker, as well as a Japanese native speaker (the latter is not really that surprising).

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!

Last edited by Jazhara7; 10-29-2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:18 PM   #2763
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
Even with Japanese?
Yes, even with Japanese. And Chinese, Korean etc.

Quote:
Because that's what all the stuff in the history lesson is in. Japanese. And Kanji to boot.
Pfff, that's impossible! I don't know a word of Japanese, except 'exit', which is a cactus followed by a television.

Quote:
If it was in English, I would have no problems, having visited an International school where everything was in English. Though I guess my class mates would have a bit more trouble.

Oh, but I was so happy when I got to read out loud a Shakespearean poem in "Methods of Japan Scientific working", when it turned out that we have *NO* native English speakers (the teacher wanted to have a native speaker if possible, so it was done properly), and the one person from South Africa that raised their hand turned out to be unable to read it from his seat (I really got the impression several of my fellow students could use glasses...I wouldn't have been able to read it without glasses, but since I was wearing them, I had no problem.). When the teacher asked why he had raised his hand then, he said he just thought he wanted a native speaker (though really, English is not the native language of South Africa, last I checked).
Some people say South African is an advanced Dutch. Since people in SA didn't read much the Dutch language they spoke evolved faster than in the Netherlands, and so the language is more 'advanced'. Interesting theory but I have no idea if it's true.

Quote:
When he read my last name, which is rather German, he sounded doubtful, but I think he was rather impressed at how well I read it. I even managed to read it in a good rythm, though I did sound a bit breathless because I was so nervous. Oh, and I pronounced the "Thou" correctly. ^_^
Cool

Do you enjoy the lessons so far?
Old 10-30-2008, 04:32 AM   #2764
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Yes, even with Japanese. And Chinese, Korean etc.
It is kind of sad that everything is translated into German. I am really glad there is an English cinema in Frankfurt, so I can see all English movies in English. There's even an English Theatre!

However, many Germans are so used to watching shows with translation, that they are opposed to subtitles. My sister always asks "Why did you buy the English version of this DVD? I want to see it too." - Of course I understand that even though she speaks a bit of English, her boyfriend doesn't speak a word of English (so little, he even accused me of not even realising when I am speaking English, when I was talking about the town in Bavaria that my cousins lived in. He thought the town name was an English word.), (and they're both too lazy to read subtitles instead. ). That's why I usually try to buy the German DVDs, since most of them have the English version on them anyway (did I mention the invention of the DVD is a real blessing?).

Quote:
Pfff, that's impossible! I don't know a word of Japanese, except 'exit', which is a cactus followed by a television.
Heh, I did want to know where the exit was for quite some time during that lesson...

He did have some things in Furigana (which is hiragana written beside the Kanji so you know how it is read.), which I copied down as good as I could. But when I asked him to repeat one of the names he had read out because I wanted to write it down, he said "It's written there", and pointed at the screen. I maybe should have mentioned I am new and haven't learned all the Japanese symbols yet, but I wasn't fast enough. If he had at least pointed at the specific point where the name was written, that would have helped a lot.

Quote:

Some people say South African is an advanced Dutch. Since people in SA didn't read much the Dutch language they spoke evolved faster than in the Netherlands, and so the language is more 'advanced'. Interesting theory but I have no idea if it's true.

Oh, as far as I know it's true, at least the relation to the Dutch language. It certainly sounds a lot like Dutch. I'd have to ask my friend who's from South Africa once he comes back from Scotland, though.

Though I wouldn't say it evolved "Faster". I think it just evolved differently. Every language is constantly evolving - the language you speak at the beginning of the year is quite different from what you speak at the end of the year. You just don't notice the difference that much, since it is a progressive change. If you were to leave the country for some time and then come back, you'd be more likely to notice the differences, like new terms, changes in meaning, stuff like that. It's similar to how you don't really notice that you're speaking a local dialect (especially if it's subtle) before you leave your local area and go to another area, where they speak another dialect - I noticed that when going woodturning, and the instructor said "Heh, you're from Frankfurt", because I had said "A bissl" instead of "Ein Bisschen" (meaning "A little" or "A tad", or even better: "A bit" - the similarity between the German "Ein Bisschen" and "a (tiny) bit" is especially obvious that the German term for "bite" is "Biss". "-chen" is just a diminutive form.), which is something you find in and around Frankfurt (I am from a town near Frankfurt, about 20 kms away. But even over those 20 kms there's differences: The Frankfurt term for "Apple Wine" is "Eppler", while in my it is *always* called "Eppelwoi". So, even across that tiny distance, the language evolved in slightly different ways.) Or you could read pages that concern themselves with the evolution of language, like I like to do. It helps you become more aware of it.

(I could write about this for hours, but I'll better stop now).

Quote:
Cool

Do you enjoy the lessons so far?
It is quite fun, yes. Even though all we learn is practically how to properly work.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 10-30-2008, 05:34 AM   #2765
It's Hard To Be Humble

Dear Aggie:

I'm sorry that I've been so quiet. I'm currently trying to shake off a fairly deep depression and get back to doing some work. I'm WAY behind on Stage! development, and I'm just about to head back to work on a novel I started writing for Nation Novel Writer's Month last November. I've decided to use this November to finish it.

The depression is a product of my lack of work and the difficulty I'm having in finding places that are willing to hire me without a lot of certification/accreditation, which seems to be the case for any job that pays more than $9.50/hr (through temporary placement agencies).

None of this would be an issue if I had just an ounce of salesmanship in me, so I could drum up some new business for my ailing graphics company. It bothers me that I have such a serious deficit in this area of my life, especially now that I have debt to deal with, which I never did before.

I hope everyone has been doing alright. Good luck with the Japanese, Jaz. Maybe you should try finding a guidebook that can help you figure out some of the kanji symbols that your instructor is taking for granted you already know (frankly, your instructor's manner and teaching style aren't impressing me much, and that worries me for you).
Old 10-30-2008, 10:25 AM   #2766
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
It is kind of sad that everything is translated into German. I am really glad there is an English cinema in Frankfurt, so I can see all English movies in English. There's even an English Theatre!
Heh, I have a German friend (he's from Gronau) and he always went to either the English theater there, or to Enschede, which is at 3 km from the border, to see his movies in their original language(s).

Quote:
However, many Germans are so used to watching shows with translation, that they are opposed to subtitles. My sister always asks "Why did you buy the English version of this DVD? I want to see it too." - Of course I understand that even though she speaks a bit of English, her boyfriend doesn't speak a word of English (so little, he even accused me of not even realising when I am speaking English, when I was talking about the town in Bavaria that my cousins lived in. He thought the town name was an English word.), (and they're both too lazy to read subtitles instead. ). That's why I usually try to buy the German DVDs, since most of them have the English version on them anyway (did I mention the invention of the DVD is a real blessing?).
The DVD sure is a blessing, but don't you have German DVD's with German subtitles? I bought the Japanese movie Sen to Chihiro no kamikakushi once in Gronau, and it had not only the German voices on it, but also the original Japanese, and German subtitles. But maybe that is not standard?
Quote:
Oh, as far as I know it's true, at least the relation to the Dutch language. It certainly sounds a lot like Dutch. I'd have to ask my friend who's from South Africa once he comes back from Scotland, though.

Though I wouldn't say it evolved "Faster". I think it just evolved differently.
The theory is that ample use of written language slows the development of a language down because the written words don't change with time. So when a society uses a lot of books, its language develops slower.

Quote:
(I could write about this for hours, but I'll better stop now).
That might be better, yes
Old 10-30-2008, 10:29 AM   #2767
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo View Post
Dear Aggie:

I'm sorry that I've been so quiet. I'm currently trying to shake off a fairly deep depression and get back to doing some work.
Oh boy that doesn't sound good Lee. Poor you. Hang in there!
Old 10-31-2008, 09:08 AM   #2768
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Hello Aggie,

Important admissions test on Wednesday. Currently pessimistic about my chances, but then I always am. Still, another four days of revision left...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:02 PM   #2769
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Dear Blaggie,

I am participating in NaNoWriMo as well this year. You can all blame Lee for that. Huzzah.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:24 AM   #2770
tsa
Playing character

I do Nano too, but WriMo? Can you remind me what that is again?
Old 11-04-2008, 09:59 AM   #2771
Unreliable Narrator

National Novel Writing Month, dear.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:27 AM   #2772
kamikaze hummingbirds

I'd do it, but school prevents me from having the time!
Old 11-04-2008, 10:39 AM   #2773
Unreliable Narrator

That used to be my excuse too, Hamlet. Especially since most profs schedule so many midterms and final projects in November.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:44 AM   #2774
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
Thanks love

That website is incredibly slow. But I gathered you have to write a 50 thousand word novel in a month? That is really a challenge. My novel Ellen has 104000 words and it took me a year to complete. But I didn't have time to work on it for 8 hours a day.

Good luck Squinky!
Old 11-05-2008, 10:07 AM   #2775
Unreliable Narrator

Yeah, the site's been getting a lot of traffic, especially around this time of year. You'd think that after running the event for ten years, they'd have learned to deal with this sort of server load by now. *sigh*

I've been writing a chapter every evening after getting home from work. (Well, after doing my regular euphonium practising, anyway.) At this point, I'm at a little over 5500 words, which puts me a little bit behind where I need to be. Still, writing every day is good, and I'm hoping I can use my weekends for longer stretches of catch-up time. As long as I get to 12,500 words by the end of the week, I should be okay.
Old 11-05-2008, 12:01 PM   #2776
tsa
Playing character

I like writing; it's relaxing. It can even be extremely relaxing. I try to write every day for an hour. It keeps you disciplined and keeps your days regular, which is good during the working week.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:56 AM   #2777
Lazy Bee

Today I had French Manicure.

I'm so vain!
Old 11-08-2008, 10:20 AM   #2778
Unreliable Narrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelena View Post
I'm so vain!
You probably thing this song is about you, right?
Old 11-10-2008, 01:02 PM   #2779
tsa
Playing character

Hi Blog-san,

Today was the first time that I went on a quest with my friends' 3 year old son. My friend is sick and his woman had to go to a dinner party. So I went on the hunt for patat met frikadellen with his eldest son and he stayed home with the youngest. First we had to go by car and then walk a while. I couldn't pay electronically at the snackbar, so we had to find an ATM in the supermarket nearby, according to the lady who helped us. We walked to the supermarket. I had never been in that neighbourhood before, and on the way back from the supermarket we got lost. It's a bit weird to walk around lost in the dark with a small guy tugging at your fingers beside you. Luckily he wasn't scared and we found our way back quite soon again. We both had fun and enjoyed each other's company. We went back in a car that smelled so good we didn't really want to leave it when we got back

Old 11-10-2008, 02:42 PM   #2780
Super Moderator

What is the fried bit of food (besides the French fries or the equivalent in the Netherlands)?