View Single Post
Old 10-29-2008, 09:18 PM   #2763
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
Even with Japanese?
Yes, even with Japanese. And Chinese, Korean etc.

Quote:
Because that's what all the stuff in the history lesson is in. Japanese. And Kanji to boot.
Pfff, that's impossible! I don't know a word of Japanese, except 'exit', which is a cactus followed by a television.

Quote:
If it was in English, I would have no problems, having visited an International school where everything was in English. Though I guess my class mates would have a bit more trouble.

Oh, but I was so happy when I got to read out loud a Shakespearean poem in "Methods of Japan Scientific working", when it turned out that we have *NO* native English speakers (the teacher wanted to have a native speaker if possible, so it was done properly), and the one person from South Africa that raised their hand turned out to be unable to read it from his seat (I really got the impression several of my fellow students could use glasses...I wouldn't have been able to read it without glasses, but since I was wearing them, I had no problem.). When the teacher asked why he had raised his hand then, he said he just thought he wanted a native speaker (though really, English is not the native language of South Africa, last I checked).
Some people say South African is an advanced Dutch. Since people in SA didn't read much the Dutch language they spoke evolved faster than in the Netherlands, and so the language is more 'advanced'. Interesting theory but I have no idea if it's true.

Quote:
When he read my last name, which is rather German, he sounded doubtful, but I think he was rather impressed at how well I read it. I even managed to read it in a good rythm, though I did sound a bit breathless because I was so nervous. Oh, and I pronounced the "Thou" correctly. ^_^
Cool

Do you enjoy the lessons so far?