You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat The AG Community Blog

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2009, 09:21 PM   #2961
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
Y
They're a traditional Christmas cookie here, so you only get them around this time of year. Also, even if I didn't like the taste, as I kid I really liked to look at them since they're still baked in tins depicting figures and objects, in a vaguely square shape:

They are not too thick, as you see, and they are fragile, though you can pick them up if you are careful. The spice ones are a bit more robust than the butter ones, but not too much.
Interesting, that's our 'standard' speculaas. You can buy it year-round here, but they're usually eaten around Sinterklaas (end november/begin december) and christmas.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:11 AM   #2962
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
I could send you a box if you want. We have butter ones for sure, and I can see if they still have some spice ones at the shop too.

-
Thanks for the offer, but I think I'm right in saying that either Lidl or Aldi sells them over here . Certainly, we've had some fairly recently.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:28 AM   #2963
Freeware Co-ordinator

Thanks to all for their anniversary good wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
You've been sucking in a paunch since you got married?
Quite the reverse. Once you're married you can let the paunch go since you don't have to impress chicks in night clubs any more.

I am thinking I need to rein it back in a bit now though.
Quote:
That top one reminded me of the Chaosium logo. These aren't Cthulhoid biscuits are they?
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 01-06-2009, 09:16 AM   #2964
Stalker of Britain

Hey all!! Happy New Year!!! How is everyone?! I hope Squinky and Lee are done being sick, because that's no fun. It sucks. lol

Hi Andrea and tsa!!! How are you lovely guys today? lol

I'm so excited. It's less than a week until I go back to college, and get to see my boyfriend. I haven't seen my friends from there or him in a month, and it's been the longest time of my life. I am exstatic to get back!!!
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 01-06-2009, 09:45 AM   #2965
tsa
Playing character

Hi Fantasie! I'm fine. Have you seen my little rabbit already? She's getting used to living with me fast! Have you had a good vacation?
Old 01-06-2009, 09:57 AM   #2966
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
Thanks to all for their anniversary good wishes.

Quite the reverse. Once you're married you can let the paunch go since you don't have to impress chicks in night clubs any more.

I am thinking I need to rein it back in a bit now though.

That top one reminded me of the Chaosium logo. These aren't Cthulhoid biscuits are they?
Nah, they're not Cthulloid biscuits. I believe the top one is supposed to be a dog. The one immediately behind it is an elephant, then a swan and the last one I think is Saint Nikolaus with beard and bag.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 01-06-2009, 10:05 AM   #2967
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasysci5 View Post
I hope Squinky and Lee are done being sick, because that's no fun.
Almost. Just have a bit of residual phlegm at this point.

Quote:
Once you're married you can let the paunch go since you don't have to impress chicks in night clubs any more.
I'm never getting married if I have to go to night clubs to do so. *shudders*
Old 01-06-2009, 10:08 AM   #2968
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
I hope Squinky and Lee are done being sick, because that's no fun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
Almost. Just have a bit of residual phlegm at this point.
Ditto. I'm pretty much cleared up, but I still occasionally cough up something unpleasant. Plus, my sinuses are still pretty much a mess, but that's been a regular feature for ages. I'm well enough for company and errand running, at any rate.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:08 PM   #2969
Homer of Kittens

Dear AG,
Today I was hit with my first layoff ever. It was the way of my company to say: Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to you. Here's your last check as your Xmas present. I don't know how I feel. A little scared since the economy has gone to hell and I was never in this situation before. A little angry for the lack of loyalty and choosing me when I was giving that job 110%. A little weary about my prospects in 2009 when the first week has just started like that. I always hear of people being layed off, and I do feel bad for them, but you really don't understand how it feels till it hits home.

Anyway, I think I will need some time off to relax and reflect on this, probably catch up on my backlog of games I have been putting on the side because of work.

Firefox rules
Old 01-06-2009, 01:09 PM   #2970
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
I'm never getting married if I have to go to night clubs to do so. *shudders*
Actually I met her in a bell tower. My limited experience of night clubs suggests that they are all too dark for anyone to see a paunch in them anyway.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 01-06-2009, 01:46 PM   #2971
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28 View Post
Dear AG,
Today I was hit with my first layoff ever. It was the way of my company to say: Merry Xmas and Happy New Year to you. Here's your last check as your Xmas present. I don't know how I feel. A little scared since the economy has gone to hell and I was never in this situation before. A little angry for the lack of loyalty and choosing me when I was giving that job 110%. A little weary about my prospects in 2009 when the first week has just started like that. I always hear of people being layed off, and I do feel bad for them, but you really don't understand how it feels till it hits home.

Anyway, I think I will need some time off to relax and reflect on this, probably catch up on my backlog of games I have been putting on the side because of work.
Sorry to hear about this, Mr Dude28 .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 01-06-2009, 02:32 PM   #2972
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Actually I met her in a bell tower.
If I'm remembering things correctly, you'd need to be a hunchback to do that, right?
Old 01-06-2009, 05:03 PM   #2973
Creepy Father Figure

Quote:
Dear AG,

I was hit with that at my previous job.
I heard it was fairly bad on the East and West coast.
You just cannot let it get into your head, it is not your fault. The moment self doubt gets a foothold on you it will eat you alive. Keep your chin up and your morale high!
Old 01-06-2009, 05:21 PM   #2974
Stalker of Britain

tsa-No, I wasn't even aware you got a new rabbit!! Do you still miss your old one, though? I'm sorry, I forgot his name... Yeah, my vacation has been okay. Boringer than college, but as least I get to hang out with old friends. I've just been watching the few shows on tv that are my favorite and haven't gone off the air, like "Legend of the Seeker" and "Sherlock Holmes" (Jeremy Brett version). How was your holidays?

Squinky & Lee-I'm glad you're getting better.

Soccer Dude-I'm so sorry. That really sucks more than I can imagine. I hope things go okay.

haha Squinky-bell tower. That's funny.
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 01-06-2009, 05:44 PM   #2975
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpw View Post
I was hit with that at my previous job.
I heard it was fairly bad on the East and West coast.
You just cannot let it get into your head, it is not your fault. The moment self doubt gets a foothold on you it will eat you alive. Keep your chin up and your morale high!
Thanks a lot rlpw for your kind words Yeah it is pretty bad here in California. My old company got hit by layoffs too, and the company right next to us let go of 50% of their workforce. I was feeling a little down about it, but now I am feeling more upbeat. It is a chance for me to get to do the stuff I missed out on because of work, while I search for my next job.

Firefox rules
Old 01-07-2009, 02:32 PM   #2976
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Dear AG,
Today I was hit with my first layoff ever.
I know exactly what you mean. I've been there a couple of times now myself, so I've learned to be a little more philosophical about it, but still, it really stings to have all of your hard work be thrown aside like that. Hang in there. Something good will come around before too long. It usually does if you keep your eyes open for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpw View Post
The moment self doubt gets a foothold on you it will eat you alive.
Quoted For Truth. I'm living that hell as we speak. I'm having to claw my way out of a pit of depression and self-doubt just to convince myself that I can still do the work I've been doing for the last decade. It's a horrible place to be.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:00 PM   #2977
Creepy Father Figure

I always seem to shift sideways instead of going forward in my careers. I keep getting jobs that have a kernel of my background involved but are seemingly way different from the previous one. I have went from programmable cutters to assembly line maintenance and then to Caterpillar (And I get to play with heavy equipment like a kid in a candy store!).
The point is that I am trying to make is flexibility can make life a lot more interesting. Sometimes you have to backslide a little but trust me it usually works out. Of course I am very philosophical when it comes to having money having two teen daughters.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:55 PM   #2978
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Dear AG,
Today I was hit with my first layoff ever.
Auch, that's bad man. I know how you feel. I've been laid off a few times but only because my contract had expired, which is not as bad as what you experienced. Still, it's no fun being jobless. The only advice I can give you is to stay positive and not sit in a corner sulking for too long. And make a list of things you are good at (and not so good at) to improve your CV. Ask other people to help you with that since you are likely to underestimate yourself (well I am at least). Good luck finding a new job!
Old 01-07-2009, 09:58 PM   #2979
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
tsa-No, I wasn't even aware you got a new rabbit!! Do you still miss your old one, though? I'm sorry, I forgot his name... How was your holidays?
Fantasie, the last rabbit I had was more than 20 years ago. I had a goldfish that died two years ago though. My holidays were fine: I visited family and friends, made some beautiful pictures of the sunrise in a beautiful nature reserve close by, went to the zoo with a friend of mine and bought a little rabbit!
Old 01-08-2009, 11:14 AM   #2980
Stalker of Britain

Oh tsa. That sounds awesome. But I could have sworn that you had babysitted someone's rabbit for them and fell in love with it, didn't even want to give him back!! Either that, or I'm going crazy...