You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Wondering about International Differences

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2006, 07:44 PM   #81

Ah, what a lovely thread this is for me to dovetail in my experiences from my first week in London.

Bathing. I arrived with almost nothing. One tiny bottle of shampoo and another of soap. Which left me feeling wretched for the first couple of days as exhaustion and jet lag kept me confined. Then, I finally was able to get out and found the local Boots*.

I was like a kid in a candy store. I filled my bag with my lovely purchases. Two huge bottles of shampoo, because the one thing that is buy one get one free is the one I need two of least. Shower gel. A new toothbrush. Razors. Shaving cream. Exfoliating face scrub. A bit more, but I can't bother with it all.

Long showers are lovely. A chance to relax tired muscles, and scrub myself clean. I normally shower every day, and if I skip it or even don't have the full variety of cleaning products I never do feel right. I still need to find a nice face soap.

The other part of it is food. I'm lazy with food. I like to eat well, but I admit I have the all too common American habit of eating quick meals with minimal preparation. I've been lucky so far with the supermarkets, however. All sorts of different cuisines, many choices of sandwiches and prepared meals refirgerated and just a short microwave away from being eaten. Spoiled for choice, and none of it utter junk, aside from the bag of utterly revolting mini poppadoms that I picked up.

The only downside is that I have to watch out for spoilage. As I only eat one meal a day on most days, I end up having to eat the one or two things nearest the expiration date each day.

Ah well. At least tomorrow will be chicken curry day. Yummy.

*A large chain of pharmacies. They don't actually sell boots. If you ask them why they chose that name despite not selling footwear, you get a funny look. If you suggest changing the name to something they do sell, such as "drugs", "condoms", or "incontinence products", they get upset.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:30 PM   #82
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Bennett View Post
Long showers are lovely. A chance to relax tired muscles, and scrub myself clean. I normally shower every day, and if I skip it or even don't have the full variety of cleaning products I never do feel right. I still need to find a nice face soap.
If if weren't for the fact that I shave my head and my face while showering, I probably wouldn't be in there long enough to enjoy the powerful stream of warm water and how it feels (psychologically more than physically, the awareness that all that water is washing away the day's accumulation of dirt). I use sandalwood soap. I don't need shampoo because I'm a skinhead. The icing afterwards is using Aveeno moisturizer, then a sensual white musk perfume oil (it was sandalwood this summer, but now that it's autumn I wanted something that smelled incredibly intimate, like a cuddle).
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-23-2006, 10:14 PM   #83
Live Slow Die Old

Speaking of showers in Britain, what the hell is up with the water pressure there? Yes, I know, I'm generalizing, and according to every other post up above I shouldn't be doing that, but for Christ's sake, everywhere I've been in the UK (which is pretty much everywhere in the UK) has had shit water pressure. And more often than not the water feels all greasy and it takes more time to get rid of that feeling than it does to actually clean myself.

And those bloody sinks with the seperate taps for hot and cold water - who's idea was that? It's not rocket-science.

Now I love the English (well, not all, but most that I've come accross) and the Scottish and the Irish (don't know too many Welsh folk) and it pains me to see all these people living in the stone age when it comes to something as simple as water pressure. What a bitch. There's really nothing more enjoyable than a good strong, steamy shower.

So, you know, what's the deal? I'm moving to Edinburgh on Thursday, so it would be nice to know (and my girlfriend has already moved in to our pretty swanky flat and surprise surprise: shit pressure)
Old 09-23-2006, 10:41 PM   #84
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

Add me to the list of people who needs to shower once a day or feel like a greaseball. Heck, I can shower at 7AM or so, and by 7PM my hair and face will already be starting to get icky.

I don't buy the idea of "being dirty" increasing your disease resistance, either. I tend to be fastidiously clean, and I very seldom "come down" with anything... despite the fact that my roommate seems to be ill with something or other frequently, and I've worked in a lot of retail jobs and in offices with sometimes-ill co-workers.

As for eating healthy... I agree, if you need to scrimp money and/or you don't cook, it's hard. I actually love most "healthy food", especially fruits and vegetables, but it's hard to pull off eating such frequently when you only go grocery shopping once a week and you have a tight budget.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 09-23-2006, 11:36 PM   #85
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

I perspire a lot. Need I say more?
Old 09-24-2006, 03:40 AM   #86
It's Hard To Be Humble

If I asked nicely, would you?
Old 09-24-2006, 04:07 AM   #87
Schoolgirl From Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpw View Post
While we have you. Your close to Thailand. Are there any problems in your country caused by the military takeover? I haven't heard from a friend of mine there in ages now. And I cannot help but think the worst (even though folks seem to be happy about it). Every time I hear Asia and military takeover I get flashbacks of Khmer Rouge.
No, I don't think the coup really affects any of us. Everything seemed quiet right now. There is a sense of nervousness in the air, but that's all I know right now.

"Or is it I who has penetrated you?"
Old 09-24-2006, 05:14 AM   #88
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
Speaking of showers in Britain, what the hell is up with the water pressure there? Yes, I know, I'm generalizing, and according to every other post up above I shouldn't be doing that, but for Christ's sake, everywhere I've been in the UK (which is pretty much everywhere in the UK) has had shit water pressure. And more often than not the water feels all greasy and it takes more time to get rid of that feeling than it does to actually clean myself.

And those bloody sinks with the seperate taps for hot and cold water - who's idea was that? It's not rocket-science.

Now I love the English (well, not all, but most that I've come accross) and the Scottish and the Irish (don't know too many Welsh folk) and it pains me to see all these people living in the stone age when it comes to something as simple as water pressure. What a bitch. There's really nothing more enjoyable than a good strong, steamy shower.

So, you know, what's the deal? I'm moving to Edinburgh on Thursday, so it would be nice to know (and my girlfriend has already moved in to our pretty swanky flat and surprise surprise: shit pressure)
You evidently just haven't been anywhere with a power shower. Most old plumbing (if a power shower hasn't been fitted) just runs the hot water along the pipes from the tank, so you get it at that pressure.

And nobody should complain about the separate taps thing. I happen to like it that way, and you can always fill a basin if you want your water at a different temperature .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 09-24-2006, 08:29 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
And nobody should complain about the separate taps thing. I happen to like it that way, and you can always fill a basin if you want your water at a different temperature .
Crazy primitiveness. I can't even stand taps with seperate valves instead of a single joystick-valve, nevermind seperate taps.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:38 AM   #90
Super Moderator

Quote:
You like something like this? *shudder* You either get all hot or all cold when you need to wash your hands. No thank you.

This is better (or one with a single handle):

Old 09-24-2006, 08:48 AM   #91
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Oh, you wimps . A little cold water never froze anybody.

Old 09-24-2006, 08:50 AM   #92
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
dual taps rule.
no denying.
i hate singular taps.
Old 09-24-2006, 08:59 AM   #93

Quote:
It's also not very good at washing stuff off.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:09 AM   #94
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

That's why you use hot water! Or mix the two together in the basin! Or use the shower if you really must mix your water before it comes out of the tap!

Old 09-24-2006, 09:19 AM   #95

Quote:
That's why you use hot water!
Oh, and burn yourself? Great idea.

Quote:
Or mix the two together in the basin!
No, that's wastefull and dirty.

Quote:
Or use the shower if you really must mix your water before it comes out of the tap!
What?

And just what is the advantage of your dark age taps anyway?
Old 09-24-2006, 09:50 AM   #96
Live Slow Die Old

I don't trust that any sink is clean enough to fill with water for say, washing my face. I like my water straight from the tap (notice: tap is singular). I've spent way too much time filling one hand with cold water then transfering it to the hot to balance it out. It's a silly waste of time. There is absolutely no advantage to this system.

And I was just speaking to my girlfriend who is setting up our flat in Edinburgh, and aparently she just discovered that we have to pay a TV license fee just to watch the goddamn news! She already bought a TV and paid for cable, and now she finds out that we'll have to pay the equivalent of $275 CAD a year just to not go to jail while watching the bloody thing!! That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard and I find it quite infuriating. Entertainment isn't worth that much money (on top of the actual cable fees and TV itself). Now we have to return the bloody set and cable box and cancel our subscription.

It's shit like this that makes me question living in the UK. I've been there several times before, and for the most part I love spending time there, but this kind of thing is just fucking ridiculous.
Old 09-24-2006, 09:57 AM   #97
Roar?

I HATE THOSE TAPS!!

All of the old buildings on campus have them and they are so AWFUL for handwashing. I have to turn both on at once (wasting water) then cup some cold water in my hands and quickly dash them under the scalding hot water.

One thing that boggles me is the use of boilers. I was visiting a friend in Boston once and his apartment was heated by a boiler. I didn't know this and had never accounted a boiler heated home before and so burned the palm of my hand on this one large piller in the bathroom by the bathtub that was really a pipe carrying boiling hot water. The radiators hissed and make scary noises at night.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:04 AM   #98
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
And I was just speaking to my girlfriend who is setting up our flat in Edinburgh, and aparently she just discovered that we have to pay a TV license fee just to watch the goddamn news! She already bought a TV and paid for cable, and now she finds out that we'll have to pay the equivalent of $275 CAD a year just to not go to jail while watching the bloody thing!! That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard and I find it quite infuriating. Entertainment isn't worth that much money (on top of the actual cable fees and TV itself). Now we have to return the bloody set and cable box and cancel our subscription.
That TV licence is the reason that the BBC doesn't have any adverts, and, in fairness, it does fund five television channels and umpteen radio channels. If you don't want to pay it, you can always listen to the news on the radio. And if you don't want to pay cable fees, get Freeview instead.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:16 AM   #99
Live Slow Die Old

Quote:
That TV licence is the reason that the BBC doesn't have any adverts, and, in fairness, it does fund five television channels and umpteen radio channels. If you don't want to pay it, you can always listen to the news on the radio. And if you don't want to pay cable fees, get Freeview instead.
Wouldn't it be fair to offer a cable package without any of the BBC channels in it for people who aren't interested in paying extra for a commercial-free service (In understand that it's a more complex issue than this since the BBC, like canada's CBC, is government run and has considerable sway in local entertainment laws, etc...)?

Btw, are the 5 channels BBC1, BBC2, iTV, channel 4 and that fifth one that show's American progams?

And what's freeview? Would it mean that I wouldn't have to pay this License fee?
Old 09-24-2006, 10:19 AM   #100
kamikaze hummingbirds

The fifth is called Five, its like ITV and 4 in that its just a channel you dont pay for.
Most programmes on it are either imported or not very popular.