You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Wondering about International Differences

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2006, 10:11 AM   #61
Creepy Father Figure

Charles Darwin — Date of Birth: 12 February 1809

Mark it on your calender everyone

From your friendly neighborhood Religious, drunken, Old Skool old grey dude!
Old 09-23-2006, 10:25 AM   #62
merely human

HAPPY DARWIN DAY!!!

FREE PENGUINS FOR EVERYONE!*

* While supplies last. Offer void in FL, LA, and Puerto Rico.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-23-2006, 10:36 AM   #63

Shouldn't penguins be for GNU day?
Old 09-23-2006, 10:47 AM   #64
Creepy Father Figure

Your right!!!
Free Tortoises for all!!!
Old 09-23-2006, 11:02 AM   #65
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva View Post
Try eating scones from a crotch, great fun! (no need for butter either)
Wow, I never knew you could contort that way. We seriously need to hook up now!

Erm, no, bullsie, make a date with him on your own time.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-23-2006, 11:06 AM   #66
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpw View Post
Charles Darwin — Date of Birth: 12 February 1809

Mark it on your calender everyone

From your friendly neighborhood Religious, drunken, Old Skool old grey dude!
I know where that guy used to live.
Its quite nearby.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:07 AM   #67
kamikaze hummingbirds

Or was it his dad?
I forget now.

Possibly both.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:21 PM   #68
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7 View Post
Showering every other day or so is more than enough.
I'd feel very, very filthy if I only showered every other day. I'd smell sweaty. Male sweat smells rather strong. My hair and skin would be greasy. And besides, I work out almost every day, and living with that stench of sweat would be enough to kill a buffalo...

(And in any case, anyone in their early teens should take care of their hygiene. Teenager sweat smells even worse. It's the hormones.)

Last edited by Wormsie; 09-23-2006 at 12:29 PM.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:30 PM   #69
merely human

Shut up, wormsie. You're getting me aroused.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:34 PM   #70
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I shower every morning, but then I feel disgusting all day if I don't.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 09-23-2006, 01:06 PM   #71
Creepy Father Figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
I shower every morning, but then I feel disgusting all day if I don't.
And the difference would be?
Old 09-23-2006, 01:08 PM   #72
Homer of Kittens

As far as hygiene goes, every country has their smelly bunch. You want smelling americans? Go to E3. I knew a couple of Lebanese kids who had lice when I was growing up for example.

As far as unhealthy food goes, Saks IT IS A FACT. Americans eat unhealthier than anywhere else, and just look at the obesity stats to see that. It's definitely not everybody who is obese, but percentage wise, it is pretty high. My own personal opinion is that I attribute it to corporations. It is in the best interest of Mcdonalds that you eat there, so you get hammered with Mcdonalds commercials. And as trep said, a pound of apples is more expensive than a Hershey bar, so you are more likely to eat that.
I don't personally believe the "long hours work part" because I work long hours myself (more than 40), and I work with some Asian people from China and Korea. They bring their cooked food from home every single day, and they are all thin and healthy.

Firefox rules
Old 09-23-2006, 01:37 PM   #73
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormsie View Post
I'd feel very, very filthy if I only showered every other day. I'd smell sweaty. Male sweat smells rather strong. My hair and skin would be greasy. And besides, I work out almost every day, and living with that stench of sweat would be enough to kill a buffalo...

(And in any case, anyone in their early teens should take care of their hygiene. Teenager sweat smells even worse. It's the hormones.)

I don't sweat that badly. I only need to shower every second or third day. If it is very warm, as it was at the beginning of this summer, I of course have to shower more, because then I too sweat. But normally it's not really that bad. My hair only starts getting greasy after three days, unless it gets wet inbetween. If it gets wet again in between showers, it gets greasy immediately.

(I'm 19, so not really in my early teens. So I guess that's okay. )

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 09-23-2006, 01:40 PM   #74
Creepy Father Figure

Quote:
Jaz de Pi said
I don't sweat that badly.
She only sweats alot when she's quickly typing on her 2 computers at the same time
Old 09-23-2006, 05:21 PM   #75
Roar?

I shower twice a day sometimes (always in the morning, sometimes a hot shower after work when I'm stressed or feel gross). I only wash my hair every 2 days though or it gets huge and frizzy.

I think it's too easy for North Americans to eat poorly. Especially kids. It really annoys me when you go to a restaurant and the kids menu food is all crap like hot dogs. Schools are just now starting to serve healthy food in their cafeterias When I was in school the cafeteria served fries, chicken nuggets, pizza, or poutine. Chips were offered but not chocolate bars because chips were supposedly better for your teeth. Of course that doesn't stop kids in the city from taking their lunch money and going to KFC and getting a toonie tuesday meal of fried chicken and fried potatoes.

I was a grocery store cashier for 2 years and I noticed that people do eat pretty well in general, lots of produce and healthy grains. Those that buy groceries anyway. However I also noticed that a lot of people bought a lot of shit food marketed for kids that claimed to be healthy like "fruit" gummy candies or that awful Sunny D.

Oh and most of my friends that eat unhealthily do so because they honestly have no idea how to cook. I've taught male friends how to cook before, they really had no idea even how to make scrambled eggs.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:53 PM   #76
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpw
Well I was wondering (and prob out of line for doing so) if this is a normal thing for that region of Europe or not.
Hygiene is a personal choice, I'm not aware of any cultural difference across Europe in this regard. Not changing clothes can be a sign of poverty. Why would this be troubling you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakSquash
I find that people who wash their hands a lot tend to get sick more often.
Like doctors and nurses? I know what you're getting at, but seriously, it's for the best if you wash your hands after certain actions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
But as far as rlpw's observation of those Czech representatives, I think they should be ashamed of themselves. They are representing their company and, coming from their country, ambassadors in a sense. They should've demonstrated a clean, professional image as such, and if I had been their boss and found out about this I would've been so embarrassed and forced them to clean up their act. It makes my company look bad, and it makes my country look bad.
We pledge allegiance to the fatherland and mothercorp, we represent the collective, act, speak, think the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucyminx
I'm from Malaysia where it's an extremely hot country so we have our bath twice a day... seriously, it's really icky if you don't. And you very rarely see anyone wearing the same clothes twice in a week.

But in Russia, it seems that it's the norm to for them to wear the same outfit all week long. I hate to sound really rude, but some of them even have a disagreeable smell. I really have no idea how often it is for them to take their bath (and I'm not sure I want to find out), but I was told that it's not frequent. I assume that it must be due to the cold climate? I really don't know.
Are you comparing students in Russia to a normal sample of Malaysians? I find that people complain about students in most Western countries, or young people in general where childhood is longer than usual.

Last edited by Aj_; 09-23-2006 at 06:11 PM.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:54 PM   #77
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakSquash View Post
I'll be the first to admit I NEVER wash my hands...unless like...I take a direct shit or piss on them.
Oh man, I got a disproportionately huge laugh when an image of THAT unhappy accident flashed up in my brain. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakSquash View Post
I find that people who wash their hands a lot tend to get sick more often.
It's true! You need a bit of dirt and grime in your diet to cope with daily life. I haven't been sick (due to illness at least!) in years - not that I don't wash my hands, but I do bite my fingernails. I presume I ingest a wide variety of bacteria daily.

There's an enterprising tramp who sometimes haunts the street selling 'pens' (ones that don't work, which he has presumably found lying around). I used to occasionally buy one of these tramp-pens, leave it on the desk, and then startle from deep concentration to find myself chewing it. Another rich source of microbial life, no doubt.

They go straight in the bin now.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:19 PM   #78
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz View Post
There's an enterprising tramp who sometimes haunts the street selling 'pens' (ones that don't work, which he has presumably found lying around). I used to occasionally buy one of these tramp-pens, leave it on the desk, and then startle from deep concentration to find myself chewing it. Another rich source of microbial life, no doubt.
I think that's the most horrible story I've ever heard on this forum. You, sir, deserve a trophy.
Old 09-23-2006, 06:20 PM   #79
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huz View Post
Hahaha oh god Huz you are a force of good in the world, but and that is a really gross story.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 09-23-2006, 06:40 PM   #80
merely human

I heard that tramps have a habit of scratching their asses and incessantly picking their noses.