You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Wondering about International Differences

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2006, 09:13 AM   #41
Creepy Father Figure

Quote:
Saks said
First off, I think you're lying.
Cmon Saks i'm tryin for the mutual understanding and I keep getting verbal jousting. Did mom not remember to get your Captain Crunch at the store yesterday.

And remember in the immortal words of Bowling for Soup
"All we need is love and beer"
Old 09-23-2006, 09:14 AM   #42
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuze View Post
Spoiler:
seriously people, you cant generalize like that)
I went to Moscow in -86. I'm sorry if I offended you with what I wrote about my experience at the Moscow Circus. But as I said, it was no criticism of the Russian people, more a visitors observation.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:15 AM   #43
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpw View Post
Cmon Saks i'm tryin for the mutual understanding and I keep getting verbal jousting. Did mom not remember to get your Captain Crunch at the store yesterday.

And remember in the immortal words of Bowling for Soup
"All we need is love and beer"
Just calling it as I see it.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:20 AM   #44
merely human

Saksie, STFU. You're being knee jerk defensive again and your lack of etiquette is showing. Jelensie was perfectly innocent in her query, as rlpw was with his. Please at least give them the benefit of a doubt.

While it is true that many Americans have horrible eating habits (some of my own family included), there are also many of us who eat healthfully and excercise regularly. But again, a lot of it had to do with socio-economic position and/or chosen lifestyle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucy
Here's my two-cents:
saucy, what you stated is true (based on your personal experience). There are many variances in the practice of personal hygiene, shifting from country to country, and dictated by local culture, religion, and climate.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-23-2006, 09:20 AM   #45
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco View Post
There's a sandwich place near Telltale that makes their own sourdough bread. Tasty stuff.
Ooh, where, and have I been there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
I steam them in the microwave. I put them in a bowl, cover the bowl with a paper towel, and spray the paper towel liberally with water.
I'll have to try cooking them that way sometime, myself.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:24 AM   #46
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakSquash View Post
First off, I think you're lying. Perhaps you were offended by the original comments, and went for the typical and sadly easy throat of the whole "fat Americans" thing, or maybe you were just trying to be snide and sarcastic, but I don't care what country you're in, unless it's a country who has a steady diet of shit, nobody except maybe unsupervised 12-year-olds bring chocolate bars and "crisps" (whatever that is) for lunch. Fish, bread, soup and pasta dishes are ALSO typical American dishes, so I find it hard to believe that they were freaked out by this and decided to stick with their safe chocolate bars.

Sure, you'll deny lying, but since you seem to be rather bad at it, you might as well not waste your time...unless trep is the only one reading into it.
Did you not read my post about my visit to Russia and my experience there? Would I have written that if I was offended about what rlpw wrote. You on the other hand seem pretty offended.
And no, I'm not lying about the US teachers having chocolate bars, crisps (perhaps that's the British expression for what we call chips. I thought that would be understood) and coca cola for lunch.
You can also read my reply to tabacco where I acknowledges his remark that the teachers may have been cautios about our kind of food and played it safe by bringning their own.

Perhaps you have a much bigger issue with the sadly easy throat of the whole "fat Americans" thing than I have.

You got one thing right though, I'm not good at lying so I don't do it!
Old 09-23-2006, 09:32 AM   #47
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Smelly brits.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 09-23-2006, 09:34 AM   #48
merely human

Yeah. You smell like a warm crumpet and I wanna smear you with butter and marmalade and take a bite.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 09-23-2006, 09:36 AM   #49
Creepy Father Figure

'All we need is love and beer
and old school metal
and holiday cheer
to be happy'
Old 09-23-2006, 09:38 AM   #50
Super Moderator

One of my mom's former jobs was working with low income families as a nutritionist. She would try to show these families buying healthier food (fruits and veggies e.g.) was cheaper in the long run. She would also tell the kids about fruits and veggies. I don't know how successful she was. They do make the high fat, high processed carbohydrate food much cheaper and it's easy to fall back on that unfortunately. America is a place where more is better in terms of portion size as well. Often, you see more and you eat more and don't listen to your own body's signals of fullness and then the more you do that, the less your body sends those signals. It's a vicious cycle.

Also, my sister can be guilty of buying easy to make foods. She doesn't like to cook and she's a single mom and is very tired at the end of the day. Her oldest (17) gives her grief about it at times. She and Brianna (the 17 year old) have gone to this place a couple of times that you can put together meals that you can keep in the freezer and take out and cook as a quick (and probably healthier meal). She doesn't keep a lot of other junk food in the house though.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:39 AM   #51
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpw
and old school metal
and holiday cheer
to be happy'
Old school metal? Don't you have any Brubeck or Ella Fitzgerald?
Old 09-23-2006, 09:40 AM   #52
Creepy Father Figure

No but I do have some Rainbow around here somewhere
Maybe some Foghat
Old 09-23-2006, 09:42 AM   #53
merely human

No thanks, though I would partake of some Steely Dan if you have it.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:44 AM   #54
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
She and Brianna (the 17 year old) have gone to this place a couple of times that you can put together meals that you can keep in the freezer and take out and cook as a quick (and probably healthier meal). She doesn't keep a lot of other junk food in the house though.
Sometimes when I'm sick and tired of working with kids I dream about what I would do instead. One thing is start a B&B, but another is what you describe here: Selling homecooked meals in family size "boxes" to families that don't have the time to cook themselves, but still want homecooked. I know I would handle the cooking, but with Swedish regulations I guess my kitchen wouldn't have the right standards for selling meals.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:45 AM   #55
Creepy Father Figure

Way back when in 67
I was the dandy
Of Gamma Chi
Sweet things from Boston
So young and willing
Moved down to Scarsdale
And where the hell am I

Hey Nineteen
No we can't dance together
No we can't talk at all
Please take me along
When you slide on down
Hey Nineteen
That's 'Retha Franklin
She don't remember the Queen of Soul
It's hard times befallen
The sole survivors
She thinks I'm crazy
But I'm just growing old

Hey Nineteen
No we got nothing in common
No we can't talk at all
Please take me along
When you slide on down

The Cuervo Gold
The fine Colombian
Make tonight a wonderful thing

We can't dance together
No we can't talk at all
Old 09-23-2006, 09:51 AM   #56
merely human

Old 09-23-2006, 09:53 AM   #57
Creepy Father Figure

Oh and by the way, Rabbit is best fried and smothered or with dumplings
Old 09-23-2006, 09:54 AM   #58
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Try eating scones from a crotch, great fun! (no need for butter either)

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 09-23-2006, 10:02 AM   #59
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuze View Post
(I shower several times a week, I must be an exception..., seriously people, you cant generalize like that)
If you're going to take offense at this whole thread, you may as well just stop posting here, because you're actually pretty unproductive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakSquash View Post
First off, I think you're lying. Perhaps you were offended by the original comments, and went for the typical and sadly easy throat of the whole "fat Americans" thing, or maybe you were just trying to be snide and sarcastic, but I don't care what country you're in, unless it's a country who has a steady diet of shit, nobody except maybe unsupervised 12-year-olds bring chocolate bars and "crisps" (whatever that is) for lunch. Fish, bread, soup and pasta dishes are ALSO typical American dishes, so I find it hard to believe that they were freaked out by this and decided to stick with their safe chocolate bars.

Sure, you'll deny lying, but since you seem to be rather bad at it, you might as well not waste your time...unless trep is the only one reading into it.
Knock it off. Consider yourself warned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
Ooh, where, and have I been there yet?
Michael's Sourdough, on Kerner (down near the old ILM buildings). Perhaps we will have to go next week
(I believe they're actually a mini chain in Marin and SF)

Last edited by tabacco; 09-23-2006 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:05 AM   #60

Well, since this is already turning into a flamewar, I might as well add my bit of fuel.

Quote:
Damn alcoholics.

Quote:
and old school metal
Lunacy. I for one need electronic music.

Quote:
and holiday cheer
Crazy religious people and all their holidays. (I was thinking of saying this in the ramadan thread, but decided against it). Well I've had it with us sane people being left out, I demand that charles darwin's birthday be made a holiday!