You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Wondering about International Differences

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2006, 10:23 AM   #101
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Speaking of internatonal differances, aren't the Brits the people who have card players playing naked in the streets?
Old 09-24-2006, 10:24 AM   #102
kamikaze hummingbirds

I wish...
... if the cardplayers were...
... whoa.
i have to go to the lavatory.
BYE!
Old 09-24-2006, 10:32 AM   #103
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
Wouldn't it be fair to offer a cable package without any of the BBC channels in it for people who aren't interested in paying extra for a commercial-free service (In understand that it's a more complex issue than this since the BBC, like canada's CBC, is government run and has considerable sway in local entertainment laws, etc...)?
Possibly, but if you can seriously name me a UK television watcher who doesn't watch BBC channels or listen to BBC radio or use the BBC website then I'll show you a three-headed monkey. You're not alone in hating the licence fee, mind you, but I'd far rather take it over the alternatives.

Quote:
Btw, are the 5 channels BBC1, BBC2, iTV, channel 4 and that fifth one that show's American progams?
Those are the five standard terrestrial channels, but the five BBC television channels are BBC1, BBC2, BBC Three, BBC Four and BBC News 24. Oh, and I forgot the CBBC channel and CBeebies for children.

Quote:
And what's freeview? Would it mean that I wouldn't have to pay this License fee?
Freeview is just a selection of digital channels that are free so long as you pay the licence fee. You just purchase a set-top box, and then you can receive them through your standard aerial.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 09-24-2006, 10:35 AM   #104
Psychonaut

Biggest difference between the Europeans and the US.

We ROCK at golf.

Europe 18.5- USA 9.5

RYDER CUP 3 times in a row.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:36 AM   #105
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
Possibly, but if you can seriously name me a UK television watcher who doesn't watch BBC channels or listen to BBC radio or use the BBC website then I'll show you a three-headed monkey. You're not alone in hating the licence fee, mind you, but I'd far rather take it over the alternatives.
Yeah because otherwise you'll be watching Princess Nikki (ugly midget who retards think is hot doing absolutely nothing), Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway (two geordies who wanted to do more mature things than SM:TV Live (which was excellent) and then decided to do this, Pop Idol and I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here) or some crap film.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:42 AM   #106

Golf isn't even a real sport.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:42 AM   #107
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

True, but you don't even play cricket .

Old 09-24-2006, 10:49 AM   #108
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

I don't mean any specific disrespect to Flyboy here, but watching arguments break out about the TV licence fee from people who have just heard about it for the first time - and haven't really grasped what it's for and why it exists - is always comedy.

See any discussion related to the BBC on Slashdot for a rich seam.
Old 09-24-2006, 10:51 AM   #109
Live Slow Die Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite View Post
Yeah because otherwise you'll be watching Princess Nikki (ugly midget who retards think is hot doing absolutely nothing), Ant & Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway (two geordies who wanted to do more mature things than SM:TV Live (which was excellent) and then decided to do this, Pop Idol and I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here) or some crap film.
Fair enough. I stayed at a few places this summer that only had those basic 5 channels, which would be fine with me. I take it I'd still have to pay the same license fee as everyone else though, right?

I don't know why, but I find this whole thing quite frustrating. I lived off of CTV and CBC here for a number of yeras now (the only 2 english channels you can get without paying a penny) and was quite content. I wish there was some equivalent there.

And I read online that people are aparently hounded for not having a TV at all, like they're tricking the government to avoid paying for these services. That's just stupid.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:00 AM   #110
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
And I read online that people are aparently hounded for not having a TV at all, like they're tricking the government to avoid paying for these services. That's just stupid.
I do, however, agree on this point, although in my periods without TV I've never had the 'hounding' go any further than threatening letters. Phoning them up or writing to them to let them know your gogglebox is gone has no effect, so it's easier just to bin the letters and let them waste their money.

Yes, money that you too will be paying them as soon as you get a new TV. It is frustrating.

Anyway, no, there's no way to avoid the TV licence if you want to watch TV, or more specifically to use any device to receive live TV broadcasts. What this implies is that a TV used solely for DVDs or game consoles, and NOT capable of receiving broadcasts (by having either no tuner or no antenna) is acceptable without a licence.

Even watching BBC TV live streams online technically requires a licence, but they'd find it much harder to detect you were doing this. You didn't hear it here first.

Last edited by Huz; 09-24-2006 at 11:06 AM.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:10 AM   #111
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Wouldn't it be fair to offer a cable package without any of the BBC channels in it for people who aren't interested in paying extra for a commercial-free service[...]?
Germany also has government channels - ZDF and ARD - which you need to pay a fee for; and I've asked myself the same question. Though I'm now glad I got no answer, because I'm starting to fancy some stuff on those channels.

Except in the UK, I'd like to note there's no real choice, whereas in Germany the choice would make some sense. In the UK, you're either watching BBC,... or you might aswell not have a TV at all, 'cause you won't miss it.

Of course, this is just my opinion.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 09-24-2006, 11:29 AM   #112

Quote:
True, but you don't even play cricket .
*hits RLacey over the head with a cricket bat*

*runs to a safe distance*

*apoligizes through a megaphone*
Old 09-24-2006, 11:29 AM   #113
Psychonaut

The last time I bought a TV they got the address slightly wrong. I still got the TV however I also got a snotty letter from the TV Licensing people about not having a license.

It seems the shops pass on the details of any TV bought which is checked against the database to see if you have a valid license.

I had to phone them up and say they had the flat number slightly wrong and that I had a license under the correct address and it was fine.

I must admit it's a scandal that we are forced to still pay that crap they should just go with adverts like all the other channels.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:35 AM   #114
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Now the Scots, they are supposed to be unequaled in building triple-expansion steam engines. I doubt that they're any good at it now, though; Those sort of trades have gone the way of the M4 Sherman.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:44 AM   #115
kamikaze hummingbirds

however, channel 4 does show lost.
but you can download it if you reely want to.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:46 AM   #116
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

I'm with Flyboy... I always found the whole TV license thing pretty silly. 'Round here in my neck of the woods, things like government channels, local public access channels, PBS (Public Broadcasting System), etc. are funded by taxes and private donations/grants. Public radio channels are funded similarly, AFAIK. Seems to work out just fine... as opposed to the apparent UK situation where you have to pay taxes (higher than ours, AFAIK, I might add) *and* license fees on top of that for that sort of thing? And you overseas folks think USers are nuts?

We do have some mandatory government fees, like on telephone bills, but those go towards things like ensuring that everyone has basic emergency access, no matter how poor you are.

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 09-24-2006, 01:26 PM   #117
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
I must admit it's a scandal that we are forced to still pay that crap they should just go with adverts like all the other channels.
I do hope not. Aside from padding out programmes by ridiculous amounts (albeit not to US levels), and the fact that sponsorship and advertising would then lead to conflict-of-interest claims with BBC News, you'd pay more for a worse service if you had to buy a subscription to view the channels.

Oh, and if you're really concerned, Flyboy, you could always buy a Black and white television, because they have a cheaper licence. I believe there's also a different system if your television is solely powered by batteries, or something crazy like that.

Old 09-24-2006, 01:44 PM   #118
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
Adverts? No!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Those are the five standard terrestrial channels, but the five BBC television channels are BBC1, BBC2, BBC Three, BBC Four and BBC News 24. Oh, and I forgot the CBBC channel and CBeebies for children.
And BBC Parliament, World, America.

I rarely watch anything on BBC1, accept for Spooks (MI:5 on BBC:America), Panorama, Horizon, BBC2 has TopGear, documentaries, news programmes, BBC 3 and 4 hardly has any unique programmes, accept for Sinchronicity. News24 isn't that bad, and it's atleast a million times better than any of the US offerings.

Most of the good television is on Channel4's channels, channel4, e4, more4, film4. Channel4 or five, Living, show some of the good US shows a year or more later.
Old 09-24-2006, 01:52 PM   #119
Live Slow Die Old

Quote:
Oh, and if you're really concerned, Flyboy, you could always buy a Black and white television, because they have a cheaper licence. I believe there's also a different system if your television is solely powered by batteries, or something crazy like that.
Yeah, I read that online somewhere. I thought it was a pretty funny compromise to make. I wonder what they'd do if my TV was solar powered...
Old 09-24-2006, 03:37 PM   #120
Creepy Father Figure

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucyminx View Post
No, I don't think the coup really affects any of us. Everything seemed quiet right now. There is a sense of nervousness in the air, but that's all I know right now.

Good to hear thanks. Hope it all works out okay