You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Steve Irwin deceased, killed by Stingray

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2006, 06:12 PM   #41
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob
We can still make fun of him now he's dead - until we forget about him that is
How about...NO, you douche.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:45 AM   #42
Roar?

People were going crazy vandalising Wikipedia's pages for Steve Irwin, Terri Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter, stingrays, short-tail stingrays, and Germaine Greer, so they're all locked down now. I find this amazing.
Old 09-06-2006, 06:07 PM   #43
Party On Dudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoofa
People were going crazy vandalising Wikipedia's pages for Steve Irwin, Terri Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter, stingrays, short-tail stingrays, and Germaine Greer, so they're all locked down now. I find this amazing.
i don't understand, what? they vandilised the site why?

www.myspace.com/rabhiphop
Old 09-06-2006, 08:23 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCRUGAtes13
i don't understand, what? they vandilised the site why?
Uh, because that's what they do all the time? Because it's susceptible to vandalism?
Old 09-07-2006, 02:58 AM   #45
Squeaky

The vandalism on the Steve Irwin page wasn't malicious (well, maybe towards stingrays ). I took a screenshot of this on the day he died:

3 minutes later it was gone and the page was locked
Old 09-07-2006, 10:40 AM   #46
Party On Dudes

the point of it waas?!

Old 09-07-2006, 01:37 PM   #47
Roar?

It wasn't just one person, it was hoards of people changing the pages, so they were locked.
Old 09-07-2006, 02:49 PM   #48
It's Hard To Be Humble

I think there are very few of us who don't in some way feel vulnerable when we learn that a celebrity whose work we enjoyed or admired has passed on, especially if it were a tragic or eventful death, as in this case. We can play the 'didn't know him; don't care' card, or the equally intellectually aloof 'millions of unknowns die every day; why does this jerk matter?' card, and it gets us nowhere.

The fact is, millions of people did know him in some small fashion or other, and apparently he was reasonably well liked by the people who knew him best, which goes a long way towards ameliorating the last argument, which was that he was a wreckless jerk who endangered his life and the lives and well-being of his family.

Presumably, he used some of his considerable gains to insure against his life ending in such a fashion, whether by sheer mischance, as in this case, or as a result of his actually mishandling a wild animal and being fatally wounded by it. The man clearly knew what he was doing, loved his work, and showed the world things they rarely got to see anywhere else. That makes him important.

Now, make no mistake, I'm not a Steve Irwin fan. I'm simply saying, anyone who dares to say that the death of a well-known and liked celebrity is insignificant clearly doesn't live in the real world. You may have issues with the cult of celebrity, but it's been in place for a very long time, and the human race mourns when an outstanding member of the species is no longer with us. They serve the purpose of polarizing us and making us realize that we can be more than we are in life, and likewise, they serve as a stark reminder that even celebrity cannot stave off death.

Millions dying everyday is more a statistic than it is a spiritually realized fact in our own lives. But a person who was famous, and who perhaps said and did things in their life that enlivened and enriched our own is a considerable thing. Perhaps they weren't as important as the passing of a beloved spiritual or political leader, or especially of a family member or close friend, but they do matter, and they touched us in ways that a million strange faces can't.

There aren't too many celebrities in this world whose works have so affected me that I would truly grieve their passing, but there are a few, and I cannot fathom anyone thinking that this is somehow an invalid exercise. All personally-felt grief over loss is valid, no matter how slight.

And in answer to Squinky's comment (*grin* sorry, can't help myself), being indoctrinated into the 'Church' of Scientology (for example) could also be considered a fate worse than death, but apparently it is neither fatal or irreversible, as Nicole Kidman has learned.

(and yes, I'm aware of the concept that spiritual decay and eternal damnation are infinitely worse than the notion of merely ceasing to be. Some would disagree. Many wouldn't. I'm somewhere in the middle. Decadence comes easy to some jaded older men. *soft grin*)
Old 09-07-2006, 04:11 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee in Limbo
I think there are very few of us who don't in some way feel vulnerable when we learn that a celebrity whose work we enjoyed or admired has passed on, especially if it were a tragic or eventful death, as in this case.
You seem to be failing to take into account those of us who don't appreciate most, or even don't appreciate any celebrities.

Quote:
Perhaps they weren't as important as the passing of a beloved spiritual or political leader
Yeah, we'd all be absolutely devastated if Dubya, Falwell, Castro or Osama bit it.

Why are you overlooking business leaders? I bet a good number of people would cry if Steve Jobs croaked.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:27 PM   #50
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
[Much yakking]
And yet again, someone says what I was trying to say in a much better fashion. *tips hat*

Edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undeaf
You seem to be failing to take into account those of us who don't appreciate most, or even don't appreciate any celebrities.
Not actually, AFAIK. He's defending those that care, not attacking those that don't. At least, given the context of this thread, that's how I read it, though granted I might be reading some phrases differently if I didn't have that context. Anyway - if I'm wrong about my assumption, Lee, I apologise.
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™

Last edited by pinkgothic; 09-07-2006 at 07:32 PM.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:08 AM   #51
Freeware Co-ordinator

I'll accept other people's right to feel emotionally affected by his death as long as they will accept my right to feel completely unmoved.

I also don't like "Millions dying everyday is more a statistic". I do appreciate why you're saying that in the context Lee but every one of those millions was a person that will have had an effect on a huge number of lives, just by living day to day. As pinkgothic suggested earlier, some of them will be total jerks. Others may have been wonderfully kind people who enriched every life they touched. We can never really know a person until we interact with them directly (and often not even then)

The cult of celebrity is a big thing and there is no denying its impact on the world. I'd just prefer not to be a part of it. Steve Irwin died engaging in the sort of risky activity that helped give him fame. His lifestyle made it a statistical likelihood he would die because of it. It's tragic for his friends and family and I feel sorry for what they (and the families of the millions of other people dying every day) are going through now. Personally, I remain unaffected.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 09-08-2006, 07:40 AM   #52
Party On Dudes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoofa
It wasn't just one person, it was hoards of people changing the pages, so they were locked.
dude, the thing is i can't understand why people would even do something so meaningless. i mean Banksy switched five hundred paris hilton albulms with fake and humorous versions as a statement of some sort. this on the other hand is pointless rubbish, why would anyone do it? that's all i want to know, i get the rest.

Old 09-08-2006, 07:53 AM   #53
Dungeon Master

Because they can.

Same as with hacking, or graffiti, or my neighbour setting his stereo to full volume. About 5% of it is an understandable form of ideological or artistical expression. The rest is made just because.
Old 09-08-2006, 09:37 AM   #54
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan
I'll accept other people's right to feel emotionally affected by his death as long as they will accept my right to feel completely unmoved.

I also don't like "Millions dying everyday is more a statistic". I do appreciate why you're saying that in the context Lee but every one of those millions was a person that will have had an effect on a huge number of lives, just by living day to day. As pinkgothic suggested earlier, some of them will be total jerks. Others may have been wonderfully kind people who enriched every life they touched. We can never really know a person until we interact with them directly (and often not even then)

The cult of celebrity is a big thing and there is no denying its impact on the world. I'd just prefer not to be a part of it. Steve Irwin died engaging in the sort of risky activity that helped give him fame. His lifestyle made it a statistical likelihood he would die because of it. It's tragic for his friends and family and I feel sorry for what they (and the families of the millions of other people dying every day) are going through now. Personally, I remain unaffected.
I agree. What I feel for Steve Irwin's family is the same as what I feel for anyone who has a family member die in sudden and horrific circumstances. Whether the deceased is a celebrity or an unknown does not matter to me in the least.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:52 AM   #55
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14795639/
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:08 PM   #56
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig
Gah!

Quote:
“We are disgusted and disappointed that people would take this sort of action to hurt wildlife,” he said.
That summarises my thoughts spot-on.

Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awards™, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformism™
Internet Explodifier™ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuser™
Old 09-13-2006, 01:29 PM   #57
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

I was actually looking forward to this particular documentry he was wokring on, Im a fan of his & Jeff Corwins' work. Im so sad he died, but at least he died doing something he loved. I feel so sorry for his kids and wife. I loved that man, he inspired me.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 09-17-2006, 12:08 AM   #58
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

http://www.lse.co.uk/ShowbizNews.asp...inish_ray_film

... I don't know what to say.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.