Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Chit Chat (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/)
-   -   Steve Irwin deceased, killed by Stingray (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/chit-chat/16702-steve-irwin-deceased-killed-stingray.html)

Jazhara7 09-03-2006 10:07 PM

Steve Irwin deceased, killed by Stingray

Yes, you read correctly. Steve Irwin, about whom we have been speaking only yesterday in "The Thread", has died this morning during a diving accident.

Quote:

SYDNEY, Australia (CNN) -- Steve Irwin, the Australian TV presenter known as the "Crocodile Hunter," has died after being stung in a marine accident off Australia's north coast.

Australian media reports say Irwin was diving in waters off Port Douglas, north of Cairns, when the incident happened on Monday morning.

Irwin was killed by a stingray barb that went through his chest, according to Cairns police sources. Irwin was filming an underwater documentary at the time.

Ambulance officers confirmed they attended a reef fatality Monday morning off Port Douglas, according to Australian media.

Queensland Police Services also confirmed Irwin's death and said his family had been notified. Irwin, 44, was director of the Australian Zoo in Queensland.
Read the entire article here.

Even though I did not like him (he scared me), it do feel kind of sad that he died. It's never nice when someone dies, even if you can't stand them. And it is never good if young children are left without a father. So I say hats off to Steve Irwin, highly motivated presenter of documentaries, who clearly loved his work. Even if I didn't like him, you have to admire his enthusiasm. My condolences to his family.

- :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown: :frown:

Melanie68 09-03-2006 10:18 PM

That's just shocking and sad. :frown:

Jelena 09-03-2006 11:10 PM

It's shocking and sad. I feel for his wife and children. He died way too young. But it wasn't surprising that he died in contact with a lethal animal since that's what he did for a living. I never really watched his shows so I can't say much about the safety or lack of safety. But still being close to lethal animal is taking a risk. This time he didn't have luck on his side. :frown:

Lucien21 09-03-2006 11:19 PM

He always seemed a bit mad and loose around the animals. Great showmanship, bad health and safety.

It's a shame for his family and for Australia asa whole.

Kolzig 09-03-2006 11:58 PM

Holy crap... Steve Irwin was my favourite animal protector guy. He was always a bit crazy, but that was all just a show.

:frown:

This is really sad and just so shocking... I'm really feeling down now :frown:

R.I.P Steve "Crocodile Hunter" Irwin

Solid Snake 09-04-2006 12:00 AM

They have made fun of him in one of Southpark's episodes in which he sticked his finger everywhere.

CaveBear 09-04-2006 12:06 AM

I'm in complete shock... I've watched some of his shows and seen him on Jay Leno a few times. It is also shocking just thinking about what his wife and kids are going through right now.

Junkface 09-04-2006 12:35 AM

Although I find his demeanour and the image of an Australian he gives off very irritating at times (according to Wikipedia both he and Shane Warne were born at my local hospital - this neighbourhood has clearly done wonders for the worldwide perception of Australian culture), he was clearly someone with genuine passions and the ability to follow through on them, the sort of person the world could do without losing.

adventurefan 09-04-2006 01:26 AM

:frown: I found out about this just this morning, the same day I have to attend a funeral... I admired Steve Erwin alot, you could see how passionate he was about protecting the animals he loved, even if his techniques were a little too 'hands on.' :frown:

Karmillo 09-04-2006 01:36 AM

Wow seems a bit unbeleavible....he always seemed to narrowly avoid those deadly things. :frown:

KriD 09-04-2006 03:14 AM

So sad. :frown: I always enjoyed watching his shows, he had so much spirit and energy, which made me feel happy. Even though one might see it coming, what with his adventureous lifestyle, I can't believe he's gone. I feel very sorry for his family.

simpson_yellow 09-04-2006 03:26 AM

A shocking and very sad event. :frown: Though I wasn't terribly fond of his character or approach, there's no denying his enormous passion for what he did. RIP Steve.

insane_cobra 09-04-2006 03:39 AM

Oh well... It's terrible, of course, but he's just one of thousands of people who died today, I'm not any more sorry for him than for some poor nobody who died who knows where from who knows what. The fact that we all knew what he looked like and what he did for living shouldn't make any difference, but I guess that's the hypocritical nature of human empathy.

sciphi 09-04-2006 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KriD
So sad. :frown: I always enjoyed watching his shows, he had so much spirit and energy, which made me feel happy. Even though one might see it coming, what with his adventureous lifestyle, I can't believe he's gone. I feel very sorry for his family.

My thoughts echoed :frown:

Phantom 09-04-2006 04:29 AM

Yeah, well, if you play with fire, you will eventually get burned.

Too bad though, I kinda liked him.

Kolzig 09-04-2006 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by insane_cobra
Oh well... It's terrible, of course, but he's just one of thousands of people who died today, I'm not any more sorry for him than for some poor nobody who died who knows where from who knows what. The fact that we all knew what he looked like and what he did for living shouldn't make any difference, but I guess that's the hypocritical nature of human empathy.

You speak very wise words, sir. It makes me even more sad... :frown:

RLacey 09-04-2006 05:13 AM

While I can hardly say that it's surprising that he died young, that doesn't make the loss any better for his family. An entertainer, and one that will be missed :frown:.

Science_Geek 09-04-2006 05:45 AM

Absolutely gutted! Steve your legend will always live on!

pinkgothic 09-04-2006 06:29 AM

I'm glad nobody is saying "Good riddance".

I guess Steve was the type of fellow one literally loved to pick on. When I read the subject line of this thread, I thought Jaz' might be playing a prank - Steve, despite everything, always seemed a bit like the indestructable loony to me, and this is just totally inconceivable. I can't picture a Steve who speared himself on a stingray. He was a total nutjob superman, both to me, and to himself.

I neither detested nor liked his particular style of the crazies, but he damnwell should've stayed invincible. :frown:

Quote:

Originally Posted by insane_cobra
The fact that we all knew what he looked like and what he did for living shouldn't make any difference, but I guess that's the hypocritical nature of human empathy.

I beg to differ, it should make a difference. We feel empathy for the people we know - or rather, in this case, we think we know (yay for mass media) - because we want to (subconsciously) know if a person 'deserves' our emotions; in this case, our support. There's nothing hypocritical about it. Feeling empathy for the many, many people that died today - whom we didn't know - would border destructive stupidity. Hypocrisy? I'd be fairly freaked out if people cared for my death whom I'd never met or knew had seen me.

Though, we might all wish that we're altruistic and love everyone - personally, I don't share that ideology - in that case, I s'ppose there's a bit of a hypocrisy to it when ideology and reality clash.

*stuffs sock in mouth, moves on*

SSH 09-04-2006 07:33 AM

I have to share the picture Helm posted on the AGS forums:

http://img21.imagevenue.com/aAfkjfp0..._122_560lo.JPG