You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Steve Irwin deceased, killed by Stingray

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2006, 10:07 PM   #1
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Default Steve Irwin deceased, killed by Stingray

Yes, you read correctly. Steve Irwin, about whom we have been speaking only yesterday in "The Thread", has died this morning during a diving accident.

Quote:
SYDNEY, Australia (CNN) -- Steve Irwin, the Australian TV presenter known as the "Crocodile Hunter," has died after being stung in a marine accident off Australia's north coast.

Australian media reports say Irwin was diving in waters off Port Douglas, north of Cairns, when the incident happened on Monday morning.

Irwin was killed by a stingray barb that went through his chest, according to Cairns police sources. Irwin was filming an underwater documentary at the time.

Ambulance officers confirmed they attended a reef fatality Monday morning off Port Douglas, according to Australian media.

Queensland Police Services also confirmed Irwin's death and said his family had been notified. Irwin, 44, was director of the Australian Zoo in Queensland.
Read the entire article here.

Even though I did not like him (he scared me), it do feel kind of sad that he died. It's never nice when someone dies, even if you can't stand them. And it is never good if young children are left without a father. So I say hats off to Steve Irwin, highly motivated presenter of documentaries, who clearly loved his work. Even if I didn't like him, you have to admire his enthusiasm. My condolences to his family.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 09-03-2006, 10:18 PM   #2
Super Moderator

That's just shocking and sad.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:10 PM   #3
Lazy Bee

It's shocking and sad. I feel for his wife and children. He died way too young. But it wasn't surprising that he died in contact with a lethal animal since that's what he did for a living. I never really watched his shows so I can't say much about the safety or lack of safety. But still being close to lethal animal is taking a risk. This time he didn't have luck on his side.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:19 PM   #4
Psychonaut

He always seemed a bit mad and loose around the animals. Great showmanship, bad health and safety.

It's a shame for his family and for Australia asa whole.
Old 09-03-2006, 11:58 PM   #5
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Holy crap... Steve Irwin was my favourite animal protector guy. He was always a bit crazy, but that was all just a show.

This is really sad and just so shocking... I'm really feeling down now

R.I.P Steve "Crocodile Hunter" Irwin
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:00 AM   #6
Slim Shady

They have made fun of him in one of Southpark's episodes in which he sticked his finger everywhere.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:06 AM   #7

I'm in complete shock... I've watched some of his shows and seen him on Jay Leno a few times. It is also shocking just thinking about what his wife and kids are going through right now.
Old 09-04-2006, 12:35 AM   #8
Grah! Grah!

Although I find his demeanour and the image of an Australian he gives off very irritating at times (according to Wikipedia both he and Shane Warne were born at my local hospital - this neighbourhood has clearly done wonders for the worldwide perception of Australian culture), he was clearly someone with genuine passions and the ability to follow through on them, the sort of person the world could do without losing.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:26 AM   #9
all loved up

I found out about this just this morning, the same day I have to attend a funeral... I admired Steve Erwin alot, you could see how passionate he was about protecting the animals he loved, even if his techniques were a little too 'hands on.'
Old 09-04-2006, 01:36 AM   #10
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Wow seems a bit unbeleavible....he always seemed to narrowly avoid those deadly things.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:14 AM   #11

So sad. I always enjoyed watching his shows, he had so much spirit and energy, which made me feel happy. Even though one might see it coming, what with his adventureous lifestyle, I can't believe he's gone. I feel very sorry for his family.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:26 AM   #12
Squeaky

A shocking and very sad event. Though I wasn't terribly fond of his character or approach, there's no denying his enormous passion for what he did. RIP Steve.
Old 09-04-2006, 03:39 AM   #13
gin soaked boy

Oh well... It's terrible, of course, but he's just one of thousands of people who died today, I'm not any more sorry for him than for some poor nobody who died who knows where from who knows what. The fact that we all knew what he looked like and what he did for living shouldn't make any difference, but I guess that's the hypocritical nature of human empathy.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:20 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by KriD
So sad. I always enjoyed watching his shows, he had so much spirit and energy, which made me feel happy. Even though one might see it coming, what with his adventureous lifestyle, I can't believe he's gone. I feel very sorry for his family.
My thoughts echoed

Lou Holtz
Old 09-04-2006, 04:29 AM   #15

Yeah, well, if you play with fire, you will eventually get burned.

Too bad though, I kinda liked him.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:09 AM   #16
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
Oh well... It's terrible, of course, but he's just one of thousands of people who died today, I'm not any more sorry for him than for some poor nobody who died who knows where from who knows what. The fact that we all knew what he looked like and what he did for living shouldn't make any difference, but I guess that's the hypocritical nature of human empathy.
You speak very wise words, sir. It makes me even more sad...
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:13 AM   #17
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

While I can hardly say that it's surprising that he died young, that doesn't make the loss any better for his family. An entertainer, and one that will be missed .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 09-04-2006, 05:45 AM   #18

Absolutely gutted! Steve your legend will always live on!
Old 09-04-2006, 06:29 AM   #19
Feind der Anonymitaet!

Send a message via ICQ to pinkgothic Send a message via AIM to pinkgothic Send a message via Yahoo to pinkgothic

I'm glad nobody is saying "Good riddance".

I guess Steve was the type of fellow one literally loved to pick on. When I read the subject line of this thread, I thought Jaz' might be playing a prank - Steve, despite everything, always seemed a bit like the indestructable loony to me, and this is just totally inconceivable. I can't picture a Steve who speared himself on a stingray. He was a total nutjob superman, both to me, and to himself.

I neither detested nor liked his particular style of the crazies, but he damnwell should've stayed invincible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
The fact that we all knew what he looked like and what he did for living shouldn't make any difference, but I guess that's the hypocritical nature of human empathy.
I beg to differ, it should make a difference. We feel empathy for the people we know - or rather, in this case, we think we know (yay for mass media) - because we want to (subconsciously) know if a person 'deserves' our emotions; in this case, our support. There's nothing hypocritical about it. Feeling empathy for the many, many people that died today - whom we didn't know - would border destructive stupidity. Hypocrisy? I'd be fairly freaked out if people cared for my death whom I'd never met or knew had seen me.

Though, we might all wish that we're altruistic and love everyone - personally, I don't share that ideology - in that case, I s'ppose there's a bit of a hypocrisy to it when ideology and reality clash.

*stuffs sock in mouth, moves on*
Winner of the Second-Best-Dressed and Non-Specific awards in the Unbiased Impostor Awardsâ„¢, amongst many others.

Non-Conformist to Non-Conformismâ„¢
Internet Explodifierâ„¢ - the best weapon of mass destruction!!!11one
Trademark Overuserâ„¢
Old 09-04-2006, 07:33 AM   #20
SSH
Super Scottish Hero

I have to share the picture Helm posted on the AGS forums: