View Single Post
Old 09-08-2006, 09:37 AM   #54
Squinky
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan
I'll accept other people's right to feel emotionally affected by his death as long as they will accept my right to feel completely unmoved.

I also don't like "Millions dying everyday is more a statistic". I do appreciate why you're saying that in the context Lee but every one of those millions was a person that will have had an effect on a huge number of lives, just by living day to day. As pinkgothic suggested earlier, some of them will be total jerks. Others may have been wonderfully kind people who enriched every life they touched. We can never really know a person until we interact with them directly (and often not even then)

The cult of celebrity is a big thing and there is no denying its impact on the world. I'd just prefer not to be a part of it. Steve Irwin died engaging in the sort of risky activity that helped give him fame. His lifestyle made it a statistical likelihood he would die because of it. It's tragic for his friends and family and I feel sorry for what they (and the families of the millions of other people dying every day) are going through now. Personally, I remain unaffected.
I agree. What I feel for Steve Irwin's family is the same as what I feel for anyone who has a family member die in sudden and horrific circumstances. Whether the deceased is a celebrity or an unknown does not matter to me in the least.