You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2007, 06:16 PM   #25461
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jat316sob View Post
No, that's not how the Van Halen lyrics go, and kindly divert your banana scented air from my nose.
No, no, no. It's not Van Halen. It's from "Oh, wie schön ist Panama". It's about the little Tiger and the little Bear that happily live in a beautiful little house nestled between a few trees, by a small river with a small bridge. One day, a box with the writing "Panama" washed to the bank of the river. The little Tiger is curious, and asks the little Bear about it. The little Bear then looks at the box and tells him about Panama, and how everything is bigger and more beautiful there, and to combine beauty with something useful, everyone there speaks Spanish, and how the air smells of bananas. The little Tiger then wants to go there, and after the little Bear has taken the plank with the writing from the box, and made a signpost out of it which he symbolically sets in front of their house, they pack their few possessions, and start the journey to Panama. They travel for a long, long time, and meet several different animals whom they ask for the way to Panama. Each of the animals tells them the way, although none of them really know what the way to Panama is. Eventually, after a long time, they come back to their own house, but because the trees have grown, the river has destroyed the bridge, and their house has started to fall apart during their absence, they don't realise it's their home. They find a sign with with the word "Panama" on it, lying in the grass, and are delighted, thinking they have reached Panama. Happily, they decide to repair the house and make everything habitable, and stay there. Finally, they buy a plush couch, because at one time during their journey, they got the chance to sleep on a plush couch at night (This is one of the points where the little Bear says his key phrase that "it is good to combine beauty with usefulness.").

The moral of the story, as so often with the stories by Janosch, is that there's no place like home, and that sometimes you have to leave to not fo

They recently made a movie out of it. Animating this story is nothing new. It had been animated for TV a long time ago. And while both versions try to stay true to Janosch's own art style, the movie's interpretation has been refined too much for my liking. Here's the Oh, wie schön ist Panama! - Cover for comparison. You see, the style is much more rough and detailed. The whole books were summarised under the title "Janosch's Traumstunde" - "Janosch's Dreamtime", and under that name they also got animated for TV as a little series, including the Panama book.

The TV animation style was much more similar to Janosch's style. Here's a sample of Janosch's Traumstunde, and Here's a sample of the Panama movie. The style of the movie is much too lively for my taste. I grew up knowing Janosch's story not to be too lively, but still interesting and captivating. The movie did a bad job at conveying that.

Oh, and Tiger and Bear most definitely do *NOT* sing in the original story or the TV series!

Quote:
Oh dear, you should remedy this, half the university experience is about living by yourself away from home. It's a time of freedom, liberation, fending for yourself, and possible malnutrition.

It's kind of redundant if my University is only a few minutes with the S-Bahn away from home. 20 minutes at most, if the bus to the train station in my town is late, in which case I can easily walk there and still catch my train.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 11-02-2007, 06:24 PM   #25462
Lovable rogue

I smell a rat, you're using public transport, speaking Arabic...

*look of shock*

You've been recruited by Al Qaeda!

Stop now, a terrorist training camp is not a real academic institution!

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 11-02-2007, 06:45 PM   #25463

Quote:
I smell a rat, you're using public transport, speaking Arabic...

*look of shock*

You've been recruited by Al Qaeda!

Stop now, a terrorist training camp is not a real academic institution!

Yeah, sure, and the Johann Wolfgang von Goethe in the logo of my University is actually Osama bin Laden in disguise. Watch me crash this S-Bahn train into the Commerzbank building in the middle of Frankfurt.

Oh wait, the S-Bahn drives *below* ground under most of Frankfurt. How thoughtless of me to forget that. I guess I'll have to bring the Frankfurt public transport system to a halt then.

No wait, the Bahn is managing that on their own with endless pay rise discussions with their conductor's trade union, making said conductors go on strike nearly every week for I don't know how many weeks it has been by now.

I guess my help is not really needed.

I'll go back to singing "Mary had a little lamb" while pushing a cart full of lamb chops through the supermarket, then.

You forgot to take into consideration that studying Arabic is something I decided to do on my own, in the VHS, and that I am studying Archeaology of the Roman Provinces, and thus learning Latin, though.

Your reasoning was good, but flawed.

-

P.s: we need a eyeroll smilie.

Old 11-02-2007, 06:59 PM   #25464
Lovable rogue

<---- Like that?

"My mental image of Jat is a gentleman sitting in a leather armchair, wearing a robe. The light in the room is dim and strangely he's not sitting in front of a computer, but next to a small, round table with a box of cigars on." - Jelena

Old 11-02-2007, 06:59 PM   #25465
The Major Grubert.

Amateurs, I swear.

Die thread!
Old 11-03-2007, 02:43 AM   #25466
kamikaze hummingbirds

Must cross the road!
Someone hold our hand!
Old 11-03-2007, 04:46 AM   #25467
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

This Thread™ tried to cross the road, but I ran it over.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 11-03-2007, 06:42 AM   #25468
The Greater

Send a message via AIM to Giligan

Quote:
No, University is about heavy drinking, late night partying, and anonymous sex.
Pure awesomeness.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:50 AM   #25469
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Glad it'll be over for me soon.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:07 AM   #25470
Lovable rogue

There's always post grad.

Old 11-03-2007, 10:15 AM   #25471
Super Moderator

Quote:
There's always post grad.
Hahaha! If you're spending all of your time getting drunk and partying, you won't make it to post grad.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:28 AM   #25472
Lovable rogue

Squinky doesn't strike me as that type.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:49 PM   #25473
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quite.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:05 PM   #25474
The Greater

Word.
Old 11-03-2007, 03:40 PM   #25475
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

No, no... it's "w0rd".

Honestly...

Old 11-03-2007, 04:08 PM   #25476
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Quote:
Squinky doesn't strike me as that type.
The type to make it to post grad? Or the type to get drunk and party?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey View Post
No, no... it's "w0rd".
Don't bother the n00bs, r0b.
Old 11-03-2007, 04:22 PM   #25477
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

50rry, 5qu4nkz.

That reminds me... someone really out to resurrect the Reverse Topic thread.

Old 11-03-2007, 04:27 PM   #25478
Lovable rogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
The type to make it to post grad? Or the type to get drunk and party?
The latter my dear, you're clearly smart enough to satisfy the former, but while I'm sure you're the life and soul of any party, I just can't see you throwing up at 3am, passing out, and then hauling your gin soaked carcase to a 9am lecture on computer whatsits the next day, hehe.

Old 11-03-2007, 05:51 PM   #25479
The Greater

I can't see 5qu4nkz being the life and soul of a college party. Philosophy and the ever-delightful combination of sex and alchohol doesn't mix.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:19 PM   #25480

By the way, I made an error in my earlier post. It's not the conductors that are on strike, but the Railroad Engineers (fancy name). I knew there was something fishy because I was sure that "Conductors" are the ones that walk through the train while it's moving. I mixed up the German words "Zugführer" (meaning "Conductor"), and "Triebfahrzeugführer" (meaning "Railroad Engineer". It can also be translated as "train driver" actually, but "Triebfahrzeugführer" is a very fancy word for something very simple, or something that had a perfectly fine name that everyone understood, but for some reason someone thought it should be more fancy. One example being "Flight Attendant", instead of "Stewardess". I know Stewardesses who say "Please don't call us 'Flight Attendants', we hate that.". They say it's because of political correctness, but I see nothing wrong with "Stewardess". I agree it's just rude to call them "Saftschubsen" [literally "Juice pushers", because they push those trolleys with the drinks through the plane], but this is just silly.).

The reason why I mixed it up is because the driver of the train is also called "Lokführer", where "Lok" is short for "Lokomotive", which you probably know is the thing that pulls a train...it's sometimes also used for referring to the entire train. I guess they had to change the name to "Triebfahrzeugführer", because a "Lokomotive" is actually only the thing that works with steam. But I've heard people from the Bahn refer to the modern thing as "Electronic Lok". But no, the new electronic things pulling trains are called "Triebfahrzeug" or "Zugmaschine". Ugh. Anyway, as Lok is sometimes also refer to the entire train, which in German is called "Zug", it makes sense to assume a "Zugführer" or "Train leader" is the guy driving the train, because it was always like that. Okay, so the Conductor does indeed lead you through the train, when I hear "Zugführer", I think of someone who leads the train, and not me.

So anyway, it's the Train drivers that are striking, not the conductors.

And now I wish the Liberty measles on this stupid bureocratic Kauderwelsch.

-