You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Most Unjustly Overlooked Adventure

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2005, 12:13 PM   #61
gin soaked boy

I loved The Dig, it's one of my favorite adventure games and I like it way more than Sam & Max or Full Throttle, to name just a few. I guess one of the reasons people were disappointed with it is that it's more of a Myst type game than a standard LucasArts adventure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpson_yellow
I'd have to say that Bioforge is one of the most criminally overlooked adventures. Wonderful game in so many respects, and was way ahead of its time.
I agree. Awful controls, though.
Old 07-06-2005, 01:06 PM   #62
LA-S-LE

Every single game from Legend Entertainment.
Espessially TimeQuest, Gateway series,
Death Gate and Callahans Crosstime Saloon,
which are among best adventures ever.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:23 PM   #63
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vel
IMO the dig is vastly overlooked for no other reason but for its serious and grave plot. While many people(including me) think it is magnifficent, it was not what you'd expect from lucasarts at that time. And the graphics were outdated in terms of resolution, although artistically they are maybe the best lucasarts had done at that time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
I loved The Dig, it's one of my favorite adventure games and I like it way more than Sam & Max or Full Throttle, to name just a few. I guess one of the reasons people were disappointed with it is that it's more of a Myst type game than a standard LucasArts adventure.
My main problem with The Dig is that the story pulls too many punches, especially when it comes to the central conflict in the game. The dynamic between the characters is just bland, which doesn't make for a very compelling drama.

The puzzles can't have been very memorable, either, because I don't remember a single one. I do remember having to walk around a lot, so I guess it's a very good thing that it used the "double-click to skip to screen" interaction.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:40 PM   #64
Codger

Josho -

Nice to see you again. Something must be in the air. Just tonight I pulled my copy of CCS off the shelf because I needed to reference it in a response to another thread.

If I recall correctly, Take2 and Legend didn't have the resources to finish the game properly, including releasing a defective demo. Trying to find marketing money was even more difficult.

I wonder if overlooked has some other undertones. Overlooked and poorly marketed go somewhat hand in hand. Overlooked and technological shift also seem to go hand in hand. In the case of FPFP, it was the last game produced by Sierra on a platform (286) while everyone else, including Sierra, was producing games that ran on a 386.

And there are games like Comer and Amber, that were elegantly self-produced, but lacked any kind of mass distribution channel. At least Amber made it to the discount bin of a few retailers.

All sorts of reasons good games get overlooked. And, as the thread title implies, those reasons have nothing to do with the quality of the game.

(Like the Freddy avatar.)

Tim
Old 07-06-2005, 02:45 PM   #65

Default My two cents

The Dig has been put down by gaming vets for so long I have to wonder if most of them have ever actually played it. I ran across a copy selling for $4 a few months ago in a mall outside of Baltimore and loved it. My nephew and I spent a super fun weekend laughing at the antics of Brink, the poor sap who could just never do anything right. What a great character!

It is a bit on the bland side, particularly after the exciting opening, but I think it should be looked into by adventure fans.

I also think the Laura Bow games are underrated, especially the second title.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:33 PM   #66
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky
My main problem with The Dig is that the story pulls too many punches, especially when it comes to the central conflict in the game. The dynamic between the characters is just bland, which doesn't make for a very compelling drama.
Well, it's definitely not big on character interaction, but I always felt the real drama lay in discovering what happened with the aliens.

Quote:
The puzzles can't have been very memorable, either, because I don't remember a single one.
I remember many, some of them not so fondly (how was I to know you're supposed to click and hold, you bloody inconsistent bastards?).
Old 07-06-2005, 11:46 PM   #67

Largo Winch: Empire Under Threat. It's not by any means great, but definitely good enough to be worth playing. I guess the reason for the poor sales and lack of attention is that adventure gamers think it's an action game while action gamers think it's an adventure game - which it is!

Another one that comes to mind is Inherent Evil. It recieved poor reviews and sold badly because of some strange and bad design choices, but underneath those there's a very good horror adventure.

Also all the Lankhor adventures, Mortville Manor, Maupiti Island and Black Sect.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:33 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Type
Every single game from Legend Entertainment.
Espessially TimeQuest, Gateway series,
Death Gate and Callahans Crosstime Saloon,
which are among best adventures ever.
Yes.
Which reminds me that I still have to play TimeQuest.

EDIT: Oh, and you didn't mention Mission Critical. I loved it.
Old 07-07-2005, 01:25 AM   #69

The Dig and Laura Bow games... They're the games I most regret not having played... Eventually I'll get around to them, that is, if I can actually find them for sale anywhere.
Old 07-07-2005, 03:18 PM   #70
Pink fluffy Xmas bunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veovis
Largo Winch: Empire Under Threat. It's not by any means great, but definitely good enough to be worth playing. I guess the reason for the poor sales and lack of attention is that adventure gamers think it's an action game while action gamers think it's an adventure game - which it is!

At last!
A post that I agree with (apart from Snarky's comments)

I first heard about Largo Winch after watching and enjoying it on Sky a couple of years ago.
I bought "Largo Winch:Empire Under Threat" for the PS2 even after reading some bad reviews but I did enjoy it, even though some of the puzzle sequences were incredibly annoying - especially the slider puzzle (I really hated that).
Apart from that puzzle I found the rest of the game quite enjoyable, and the action sequences were handled very well
Old 07-07-2005, 05:09 PM   #71
Elegantly copy+pasted

Wow, I had completely forgotten that they made a Largo Winch TV series. The comics were pretty good, in a trashy pulp sort of way.

Just the other day I was looking at the box for the game, but it was being presented as a shooter, so I didn't pick it up. Maybe I will, after all.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:36 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky
Just the other day I was looking at the box for the game, but it was being presented as a shooter, so I didn't pick it up. Maybe I will, after all.
If it's reasonably priced, go for it! There are a few fighting sequences in the game, but they are turn based and presented in such a way that they belong in a pure adventure game. And the game is above all based on story and puzzles.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:08 AM   #73
Third Guy from Andromeda

Hi, Guys,

Sorry for the extended absence. I'm actually working on a comedy game (yaay!). Unfortunately, it's not an adventure in the accepted sense of the word, but it's going to be a major release from a very well-established company (which is owned by another very well-established company). And it'll have tons of comedy in it. So I'm happy.

Anyway, yes, Tim, there are a lot of factors in that loaded word "overlooked." I think promotion tends to be the primary factor. There are fewer overlooked games today thanks to the Web. These days, word of mouth can make or break a game. Prior to the Web, word of mouth didn't count for much.

--Josh
Old 07-15-2005, 06:20 AM   #74
Banned User

I think all of the adventure games are overlooked. Especially the new ones. I can't believe Still Life got 7% at gamespot review!!!
Old 07-15-2005, 06:29 AM   #75
Epinionated.

I can't remember, but was Future Wars overlooked? I loved that game despite its faults.

I can only remember the good ones...
Old 07-15-2005, 08:20 AM   #76
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveYou
I can't believe Still Life got 7% at gamespot review!!!
It didn't get 7% at Gamespot - more like 67%.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:47 PM   #77
The Dude

Send a message via MSN to Isak

by the mainstream: moment of silence (stupid Pc gamer )

...but thats not interesting, like someone said, almost all adventuregames are overlooked by the mainstream (with some exceptions like grim fandango, broken sword, myst and monkey island). it's rather more interesting to hear what games are overlooked by the adventuregames fans, and here are my votes:

universe (I don't think many have heard about this title, what an excellent game)
and
teen agent (i think, but I'm not sure about this one, haven't seen much reviews of it yet, but what an excellent game. I know it's freeware, but it wasn't from the beginning, therfore I count it as a "proffesional"=paid for the work you do, game). Note! Some amateur games are just as proffesional as proffesional games if you understand what I mean )
Old 07-15-2005, 09:16 PM   #78
Retirement is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josho
LOOM was certainly not overlooked at the time it was released, nor for quite awhile thereafter. It was released with major fanfare and got a huge amount of publicity. It generated a great deal of conversation and commentary, mostly about the interface and the abrupt ending. I'm not sure in what sense it's been overlooked.

--Josh
All leading to a rather pointed satire which is found in the software store clearance bin in SQ4...nice to see your feelings haven't dulled 15 years later, Josh.

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."
Old 07-15-2005, 09:31 PM   #79
guybrush_guy

oh ohhhh, me me me....pick me, pick me.. i got a good one....

grim fandango,

just kidding, i do have a good one...

teen agent. i was about 10 when i played it but i remember it kicking major ass, I'm not to sure but i think thats the game that got me into adventure games. it was either that or Myst. which ever one it really doesn't matter they both kicked major ass and on an off the subject note does anyone get shivers down their spine when ever they hear the Myst book warp sound, i do every time i hear it.