You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Most Unjustly Overlooked Adventure

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2005, 11:37 PM   #41
with extra cheese!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques l'aliéné
'Stupid Invaders'. Don't hear it talked about much. Hilarious, toilet humour.

'Monet : The Mystery Of The Orangery'. Pretty picture mystery.

'Master Of Dimensions'. Super game !

Most overlooked action/Adventure has to be 'Outcast', with 'In Cold Blood' coming second. Both are getting mentioned more than they used to be, though.
Did you play the PC or the PS2 version of In Cold Blood? It looks fantastic, the storyline sounds great and I loved the main guy's voice, but I just couldn't get used to the controls on the PC version.
and all the signs that should show me what's right and what's wrong have been knocked down, shaken and smothered by previous lovers and non-descript others like me, who don't know what it's for, all I know is that I want more.
Old 07-05-2005, 11:45 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky
and I've never heard of Omikron - The Nomad Soul.
You should look into it. It's something special. Lots of flaws, but ahead of its time.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:17 AM   #43
Squeaky

I'll throw another vote in for The Dig. Not my favourite LA title but I thought it deserved more recognition.

I'd have to say that Bioforge is one of the most criminally overlooked adventures. Wonderful game in so many respects, and was way ahead of its time.

Last edited by simpson_yellow; 07-06-2005 at 04:12 AM.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:45 AM   #44
Vel
Quo non ascendet?

IMO the dig is vastly overlooked for no other reason but for its serious and grave plot. While many people(including me) think it is magnifficent, it was not what you'd expect from lucasarts at that time. And the graphics were outdated in terms of resolution, although artistically they are maybe the best lucasarts had done at that time.
Old 07-06-2005, 02:51 AM   #45
Psychonaut

The Little Big Adventure games.

Class. I want LBA3
Old 07-06-2005, 04:53 AM   #46

The Quivering
Old 07-06-2005, 05:20 AM   #47
Third Guy from Andromeda

LOOM was certainly not overlooked at the time it was released, nor for quite awhile thereafter. It was released with major fanfare and got a huge amount of publicity. It generated a great deal of conversation and commentary, mostly about the interface and the abrupt ending. I'm not sure in what sense it's been overlooked.

--Josh
Old 07-06-2005, 05:47 AM   #48

Seeing Josh making a post on the thread has once again reminded me of how criminally overlooked Callahan's Crosstime Saloon and Freddy Pharkas, Frontier Pharmacist are.

If you like humor in your games you won't find a better game than these two. Also, we have been discussing the lack of interaction density in recent AGs. If you like interaction density, try CCS. You can pretty much click on everything you see and get a funny response. You will like it better if you are a fan of Spider Robinson's stories, which the game is based on, but even if you have never heard Spider Robinson, you will love the game. I mean how many games allow you to save a depressed vampire, a talking German shepherd and chocolate (yes, chocolate) all in one game. A master piece, if you ask me.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:50 AM   #49
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyruless
If you like interaction density, try CCS. You can pretty much click on everything you see and get a funny response.
And at the time, reviews criticized it for that. We're so fickle...

Callahan's had me laughing out loud on more than one occassion. I agree it gets less attention than it deserves.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:51 AM   #50

Quote:
If you like humor in your games you won't find a better game than these two. Also, we have been discussing the lack of interaction density in recent AGs. If you like interaction density, try CCS. You can pretty much click on everything you see and get a funny response. You will like it better if you are a fan of Spider Robinson's stories, which the game is based on, but even if you have never heard Spider Robinson, you will love the game. I mean how many games allow you to save a depressed vampire, a talking German shepherd and chocolate (yes, chocolate) all in one game. A master piece, if you ask me.
Yeah.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:09 AM   #51
capsized.

I have the English version of the Saloon, so I was'nt able to get all the jokes, let alone solve some of the puzzles on my own. Stupid Krauts. What do they know, he?
Old 07-06-2005, 06:27 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
I have the English version of the Saloon
Is there another one?
I don't get all the puns, nor do I need too, as there are a ton of them through the game.
I have done the satellite and chocolate parts now, and I'm currently a bit stuck in Transilvania. I had no idea this game was so good, it might even be better than Death Gate.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:52 AM   #53
fov
Rattenmonster

I had a pretty hard time with the riddles (and some of the puns), and I'm a native speaker. There's no shame in going to a walkthrough for those riddles.

The Transylvania part was my favorite segment, I think. Probably because of the tortured-soul vampire... and the Starbucks.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:54 AM   #54
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josho
LOOM was certainly not overlooked at the time it was released, nor for quite awhile thereafter. It was released with major fanfare and got a huge amount of publicity. It generated a great deal of conversation and commentary, mostly about the interface and the abrupt ending. I'm not sure in what sense it's been overlooked.

--Josh

I can explain. I was three years old at the time LOOM was released, and I was too occupied with exploring the world, and kind of missed the hubub. (The world is one big Adventure game, if you are three years old...it still is, actually.)

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 07-06-2005, 07:55 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I had a pretty hard time with the riddles (and some of the puns), and I'm a native speaker. There's no shame in going to a walkthrough for those riddles.

The Transylvania part was my favorite segment, I think. Probably because of the tortured-soul vampire... and the Starbucks.
If you are still not convinced to try out CCS, go and read this wonderful review written by a certain someone we all know and love.

http://www.adventuregamers.com/article/id,508

It is a bear to get it to run on Win XP. I have tried everything I know short of running a virtual machine but couldn't get the sound to work. Other than the sound, the game still runs OK on XP but to get the full effect, you should try to run it on a machine with Win 95/98.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:40 AM   #56
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
It is a bear to get it to run on Win XP. I have tried everything I know short of running a virtual machine but couldn't get the sound to work.
Did you try it with the patch? There's a link to it in the review. It's supposed to fix sound issues (in general, not just on XP).
Old 07-06-2005, 08:54 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Did you try it with the patch? There's a link to it in the review. It's supposed to fix sound issues (in general, not just on XP).
Yep. It didn't fix the XP sound issue though. After applying the patch and running the game with VDM Sound, I was able to get the game to detect and set up settings for MIDI and digital audio but I still didn't get any sound at all. No voice, no BGM, no sound effects. Just a complete silence. The game does run on XP with no sound though. It runs fine on my PC with Win 98.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:00 AM   #58

Quote:
Yep. It didn't fix the XP sound issue though. After applying the patch and running the game with VDM Sound, I was able to get the game to detect and set up settings for MIDI and digital audio but I still didn't get any sound at all. No voice, no BGM, no sound effects. Just a complete silence. The game does run on XP with no sound though. It runs fine on my PC with Win 98.
I'm running it on XP, and it works like a charm. I run it with VDMSound.
Old 07-06-2005, 09:45 AM   #59
Flatulent Philanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodan
Did you play the PC or the PS2 version of In Cold Blood? It looks fantastic, the storyline sounds great and I loved the main guy's voice, but I just couldn't get used to the controls on the PC version.
Hi Shodan !

It was the PC version. I admit, it was a game I tried and then went back to 6 months later. The first time, the controls put me off a bit too. But it really is well worth it.
Old 07-06-2005, 11:29 AM   #60

The Last Express...

Stands as the third best adventure game I've ever played (After Day of the Tentacle and Gabriel Knight 2)