You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Indigo Prophecy - "Best Original Game" nominee at Game Critics Award

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2005, 07:18 PM   #1

Default Indigo Prophecy - "Best Original Game" nominee at Game Critics Award

http://www.gamecriticsawards.com/nom.html

Quote:
Best Original Game
- Indigo Prophecy (Quantic Dream/Atari for PC, PlayStation 2, Xbox)
- Nintendogs (Nintendo for Nintendo DS)
- Okami (Clover Studios/Capcom for PlayStation 2)
- Shadow of the Colossus (SCEI/SCEA for PlayStation 2)
- Spore (Maxis/Electronic Arts for PC)
Old 05-31-2005, 08:25 PM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

That's pretty cool.

Although I have to admit, I'm pretty smitten with Nintendogs. Not that it's particularly original. I mean, people have been training dogs since long before consoles even existed...
Old 05-31-2005, 11:37 PM   #3

If Indigo Prophecy doesn't win, it's no shame. That's some heavy competition.
Old 06-01-2005, 01:56 AM   #4
The Hardboiled Wonderland

Indeed, and I don't really think it will win. Okami looks amazing, and Shadow Of The Colossus is the spiritual sequel to ICO. And looks to be just as breathtaking as ICO was. The Demo ending movie that's up on IGN.com is the most beautiful thing i've seen in years. Since ICO, really

But Spore will probably win. Personally i'm not particulary keen about god games, i'm more into character driven games. But it certainly sounds interesting. For a god game
Old 06-01-2005, 07:02 AM   #5

Wow, pretty cool about Indigo Prophecy being nominated!

I'm really, really looking forward to Spore.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:50 AM   #6
OB

I've been told there is a negative preview of IP on some site called EDGE or something like that. A link wasn't provided and I'm not familiar with the site. Anyone familiar with what I'm talking about?

Here's the post:

Quote:
I dunno about this, EDGE had a preview and they weren't exactly singing it's name. I know you can't go on one preview but still, they were saying its REALLY REALLY infuriating. Actually heres a quote:

"Farenheit is infuriating...it's infuriating on levels most games don't even acknowledge exsist."

Plus, atari's censoring of the sex scenes might make it just another crime story really. I'm not one for really mature games but it seemed this was going full on but is having to be held back. Just all sounds like it could be really disjointed and "bitty" to me.
Old 06-02-2005, 01:38 PM   #7

Probably because EDGE is a monthly british magazine. They do have a website at www.edge-online.com but it might not be on there.
Old 06-05-2005, 01:56 PM   #8
OB

Here's a scan of the preview. Sort of mixed and in its current form they would probably hack it to pieces:

http://www.geocities.com/hainesrs/Scan20014.jpg
Old 06-05-2005, 01:59 PM   #9
Epinionated.

Seems pretty positive! Edge, you must remember, is also an industry magazine. The criticism seems to be quite constructive.
Old 06-05-2005, 04:06 PM   #10
merely human

Thanks for the scan, Orange Brat.

A VERY GOOD point concluding this preview:

Quote:
But the simple fact remains that if games - as many players constantly demand - are to mature and evolve, they won't do so by playing it safe. Fahrenheit doesn't, and as such, is an enormously valuable project.
I completely agree.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-06-2005, 07:46 AM   #11
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

If just this game would be released..Looks really promising..
Old 06-06-2005, 07:58 PM   #12
Iconoclast

Is Indigo Prophecy the one that had that Dragon's Lair-ish angels carrying the character around in a church demo movie?
Old 06-07-2005, 12:40 AM   #13
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Yes that's the game.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:41 PM   #14
Game fanatic

I have been playing around with an early PC press demo for some days now, and so far fail to see the problem with the controls that the EDGE journalist points out. If anything, these are the best (and most innovative) controls of any adventure game for a long time - may even be the biggest deviation since Myst in that respect.

Also, atmosphere is excellent, voice acting is excellent, graphics are excellent, body animation is excellent (although facial animation is lacking a bit), AND the game sports a flexibility in the way the story progresses that we don't see often, if at all. I.e. if you fail to do one thing properly/"correct", you might have to compensate by some other means.

Fahrenheit is, in short, the most promising adventure game I've played for a long time. If not for anything else, I love it for its throwing out of the window of most of the usual clichés of adventuring.

EDIT: Actually, the controls are still not ideal. Yet they aren't finished for the PC version, so I assume it may be perfected in the final code. Just thought I'd add some nuance to the above praise.

Last edited by oerhört; 06-07-2005 at 03:49 PM.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:09 PM   #15
OB

How are the PC controls handled/configured? I ask because I'm developing my own PC 3D title and it is somewhat similar to Fahrenheit in regards to the cameras and I would assume the control(based on the EDGE article...icons popping up, etc). I just like to know what others are up to and if they are succeeding where so many others have failed with 3D controls.
Old 06-07-2005, 04:14 PM   #16
Game fanatic

As of now, the player gets to choose between a form of direct (keyboard) control similar to Grim Fandango, where "up" means walk forward, "left"/"right" means turning, and "down" means turning 180 degrees around - and the other system, where you just use the mouse; Pressing both mouse buttons makes you walk, moving the mouse left and right turns. Somehow similarly to Uru: Ages Beyond Myst, but not as tank-like.

None of them are quite ideal yet, but what is exciting is the way you interact with the environment. By holding down the left mouse button, and then dragging the mouse in a presumably intuitive direction, you can for instance open/close doors, drag bodies around, clean the floor etc. This is something I have never seen before, and it works quite well.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:44 PM   #17
merely human

Latest screens at Gamespy.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-09-2005, 01:04 PM   #18
merely human

Latest preview, this time from Computer & Video Games:

Quote:
...say you've reached the part at which Lucas (the guy who finds himself stabbing passers-by at inopportune moments and who may or may not, according to your whim, clear up the mess afterwards) meets up with his estranged clergyman brother in a snowy park. Accept his moral advice and he'll play a major role in the coming tale; argue and tell him to keep his nose out of your homicidal business and he'll never appear again.

Minutes later, meanwhile, the powers growing within you foresee the drowning of a small child in the park's lake. Save him and you run the risk of being recognised by a nearby policeman; let him die and you remain incognito, but you'll be plunged even further into remorse and growing insanity - perhaps culminating in you putting a gun to your temple and ending it all prematurely. It's all up to you, and everything you do or don't do - even to the extent of leaving fingerprints or forgetting to wash your hands - will have a bearing on the plot and the way in which you play the parallel tale of Carla and Tyler - the cops following your trail.
The story IS the puzzle!!
Old 06-10-2005, 06:34 AM   #19
Game fanatic

Indeed. This, many adventure games should take notice of. The point of a game is not to string together many puzzles and attach a story, but to let the wanted experience dictate how the gamer will interact with the game.

During the mentioned press demo, at least, interaction was always fresh and exciting, and not once did the game go into "clichéd puzzle mode" (even though I wouldn't have minded that either, if the puzzle was good and well placed).
Old 06-10-2005, 07:16 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Latest preview, this time from Computer & Video Games:

The story IS the puzzle!!
It's a good thing that they somehow managed to secure enough funding to accomplish this. Getting something like that right would take a lot of money, plenty of development time, creative genius, and a dose of luck. Hope Quantic Dream pulls it off.

I wonder how I will be able to handle the keyboard-based control. I found the interface in GF annoying and never felt comfortable playing the game. I'm playing Morrowind now the WASD mechanism in the game is driving me batty (one of the reasons why I never play FPS). I'm hoping what we are going to get in Fahrenheit is a lot better and more intuitive (for me not gamers in general) than that.

Maybe it's just me but there's just something unnatural about calling the game Indigo Prophecy. Fahrenheit just sounds a lot better