You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Tex Murphy seems to be back

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2012, 06:44 AM   #101

Anyone who doesn't give to this has no right to call themselves an adventure game fan.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:46 AM   #102
She Wants Revenge

45$ tier is super nice, I was already thinking about getting all the casual games. Higher tiers are great too of course but I can't donate my liver for this .
Old 05-15-2012, 06:48 AM   #103
Chris Barraclough

Looks like it could hit $100k by the end of the day at this rate! Pledged what little I could afford, just gutted I can't throw more their way. Some of the top-tier stuff - dinner with Chris & Aaron, attending the launch party, appearing in the game - man, that would be freaking cool...

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 05-15-2012, 06:49 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by zane View Post
EDIT: oh blah, just noticed their dlc on the 150 tier. Thats a mistake.
Yeah. There's also not a word on whether the game is going to be DRM-free.

I can't help but think that if Scott Murphy and Mark Crowe did something like that and if this was a SpaceVenture thread, it would have been filled up to the brim with venom and murderous rage instead of you know, just good old plain negativity. But hey, trivial matters like DLC and the apparent lack of a plan for DRM-free release are not important, because their pitch video is great. Everyone knows that it's the video that matters the most.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:50 AM   #105
Tell me This is It

Send a message via AIM to Terabin

Everyone in the comments of the kickstarter is just noticing the DLC as well. I agree with those who are upset. Money from pledges by the many going to create additional content for the few. That's not in the communal spirit of these campaigns.

I won't be pledging until that issue and the DRM issue are cleared up.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:14 AM   #106
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfury View Post
Yeah. There's also not a word on whether the game is going to be DRM-free.

I can't help but think that if Scott Murphy and Mark Crowe did something like that and if this was a SpaceVenture thread, it would have been filled up to the brim with venom and murderous rage instead of you know, just good old plain negativity. But hey, trivial matters like DLC and the apparent lack of a plan for DRM-free release are not important, because their pitch video is great. Everyone knows that it's the video that matters the most.
LOL! I hadn't noticed that there wasn't anything about DRM-free, which is important to me. But I don't care about the DLC part. And yes, a good pitch is essential. The Andromeda guys also made the mistake of promising a "demo" when it wasn't really a demo at all.

EDIT: I went back to read the rewards, and I get it now. It's about *additional* DLC. More gameplay, extra rooms. No, that's not good. Should be for everybody.

Last edited by Fien; 05-15-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:16 AM   #107

I agree about the DLC, not a huge fan of that. It's not a deal-breaker, but it's annoying to see the Big Finish guys jumping on a trend that I don't care much for at all. As for DRM, I'd _personally_ rather have a Steam-copy than a DRM-free one, it's just so much more convenient. Though I understand others don't share that point of view.

Anyway, I pledged more to this than I have pledged to all the other Kickstarters combined. For me, it is the most important Kickstarter project so far, even beating Double Fine and Jane Jensen.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:29 AM   #108
Schattenjäger

Well, the dlc is logical for them, because theyr creating a game while asking for absolute minimum funding to make this game, and theyd like to do more and in order to make that happen theyll need to sell it. So maybe one solution is to make an incentive tier where they just say "at x, everybody gets the dlc for free, otherwise only high backers get it for free, and then we sell it to everybody else"
I do not like it. But theyr going to have to address this somehow.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:34 AM   #109
Tell me This is It

I think the "At X everyone gets the DLC" solution is the one we have been seeing from Larry's and now Jane's kickstarters and it's the one that makes the most sense to me. We are funding a game on kicktarter as a collective (doing our part) and the reward we hold in common is the same game.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:40 AM   #110
She Wants Revenge

Is't that DLC thing just the same as the "limited DLC for pre-orders only" and after a while they usually sell that content for everyone anyway?

Well, I'm not pledging that much and I want the Tex game anyway so not terribly bothered about that.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:41 AM   #111
Schattenjäger

The problem becomes... they dont want to "count their chickens before the eggs hatch" and start naming 600k+ tiers before we've seen if theyv got enough momentum to get to 450.
So i think theyl have to say somthing else about the dlc now.. not sure what.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:45 AM   #112
Schattenjäger

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenia View Post
Is't that DLC thing just the same as the "limited DLC for pre-orders only" and after a while they usually sell that content for everyone anyway?
The issue isnt whether its going to be available to everybody, its more "how much extra am i going to have to pay to get the full game i already bought???" DLC is definitely a hot button topic and somthing they probably shouldv avoided in the rewards.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:47 AM   #113
Tell me This is It

I sent Chris and Aaron a message on kickstarter about the DRM and DLC issues and hopefully others are as well.

Luckily for the campaign the info about additional content at a given tier is pretty embedded within the tiers and lots of folks going for a basic pledge won't notice these issues before they pledge. As far as momentum is concerned...
Old 05-15-2012, 07:53 AM   #114

I'm eager to get more details about the whole real-time 3D aspect of the game. Because that can cost an awful lot of money if they don't want their game to look hopelessly antiquated. Hopefully, we'll get more details at some point.

(I wouldn't be worried about the whole DRM thing. They put all the previous Tex games on GOG, so they don't seem to be DRM freaks. They probably just forgot to mention it. The DLC thing doesn't sound good, but I'm sure we'll get some more info soon.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
Anyone who doesn't give to this has no right to call themselves an adventure game fan.
Oh, shut up. The constant Thought Police raids on these Kickstarter threads are beyond annoying. If people don't want to back your pet project, it's fine. If they want to state on these forums that they're not backing it, it's fine. And if they want to say why, even in a non-constructive way, it's fine too. No one gets to decide who's a "true adventure fan" and who isn't. (And I was among the first backers for Tex.)
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 05-15-2012, 07:55 AM   #115
MoP
Comfortably Numb

I'm pretty sure their inbox is flooded with the same questions by now. DRM-free seems pretty safe, with the whole series being on gog, and the rewards including those. Pretty sure they'll back out of the DLC idea after seeing the backlash as well. Still, obvious omission (DRM) and bad call (DLC) that should've been avoided.

On a lighter note, anybody read the bios on their KS profile page? Aarons especially stands out
Quote:
Aaron Conners was born and raised in the back woods of Maine by a family of bears. To this day, he enjoys chairs, porridge, and a bed that feels “just right”. He grew up in a time when you could play outdoors and go out exploring all day long.
Also, (I'm repeating myself but what the heck), am I the only one that didn't know about this?
Plan 10 from Outer Space
Old 05-15-2012, 08:41 AM   #116
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

I loved the video too! Especially the Elvis impersonator with that horrible wig..

And it was so nice to see Tex again. Watching the pitch I realized that he's actually a pretty good actor.

(Disclaimer: I've watched my ex (when he was not my ex) play UAKM and I've played Overseer once, so I don't remember that much from the games).

Now to figure out what to donate. I own 3 cards to midnight, and I've never been able to finish it, it's just too difficult for me, but I have never tried their other casual games.. hmm..

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 05-15-2012, 08:56 AM   #117

Quote:
Well, the dlc is logical for them, because theyr creating a game while asking for absolute minimum funding to make this game, and theyd like to do more and in order to make that happen theyll need to sell it.
Good point. Chris needs to explain why he thinks that in this particular case DLC approach is justified and edit the page so that the information about the DLC will be immediately noticeable by backers. Because right now it looks as if he himself was ashamed of the idea and tucked the information away somewhere where it won't be easily spotted. I don't believe for a minute that was the case, but it can be seen that way.

Quote:
So maybe one solution is to make an incentive tier where they just say "at x, everybody gets the dlc for free, otherwise only high backers get it for free, and then we sell it to everybody else"
Another good point. Yes, that would be reasonable.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:53 AM   #118

Can't really say much about the DLC until we know how much of the game it constitutes. A few extra puzzles? Not a big deal. An entire chapter or portion of the game? Might be a concern.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 05-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #119
Chris Barraclough

By the sounds of the description, the DLC will just be filling in some BG on the main characters - probably just a couple of homes you can visit to hear more about them etc. Pretty much every other game these days has DLC, so not too shocked it's come to adventures now.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 05-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #120

wow 100K in a day!