You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Tex Murphy seems to be back

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #61
FOT
Geek Girl

My bank account is ready and waiting....
And to plug the UTMB for just a sec, we were planning on having a chat room open the morning of the Kickstarter launch. During the pre-Kickstarter announcement we did the same and had about 30 or so folks at any given time logged in and chatting. Aaron stopped in for a bit as well, so that was cool! The more the merrier I say.

http://www.texmurphyaustralia.net/
Old 05-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #62

I'm actually planning on contributing a SIGNIFICANT amount to this kickstarted. Over $250 for sure. Tex Murphy is one of the greatest gaming series ever!!!
Old 05-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #63
MoP
Comfortably Numb

So, anybody actually made any testimonials? Most of what I saw was people from UTM if I'm not mistaken. Just wondering if we'll see any familiar 'faces' in the pitch video (check this one out btw, pretty awesome if you ask me).
Old 05-11-2012, 10:24 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toefur View Post
I wonder how much money they're looking to raise for this...
Yeah I'm wondering about this too... I think it would be no problem to get $500k from fans, but I don't think it's enough to produce quality FMV game. They can have problem if they decide that they want $1M. Their pitch video better be amazing!
Old 05-12-2012, 01:06 AM   #65

I can't wait for this campaign to start. I'm going to give as much as I possibly can.

I really hope that they don't plan to get their entire funding through Kickstarter because then they would either have to ask for a lot (I don't know how much it costs to make a FMV game, but everyone is saying that it's expensive) or they would ask for little and settle for a small game. I also hope they've been watching the other Kickstarters closely so that they know what mistakes to avoid and how to best promote their campaign.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:39 AM   #66

well only a few days now to go, no-one really knows how much money they will be asking for but we all hope its not too high as we really want to make the target.

chris jones will be live on the 14th march at http://www.retronick.com/

the above link there is also a new interview
Old 05-12-2012, 05:29 PM   #67
More slaw!!!

Good to see some fellow fans as excited as me.

The money is an interesting predicament. I can't see many projects raising as much as the likes of Double Fine and Wasteland, but presumably Tex will need quite a bit of funding. We have really popular and mainstream games like Larry just getting 650k, and Space Quest aiming for 500k. Pinkerton Road has struggled to get much above 300, and if I talk to gamers I know most have heard of Larry and Space Quest, but none of Gabriel Knight, and especially not Tex Murphy.

The other thing is, some of these projects say thry'll need in the order of 100k + to add another static background or two... Whereas as Tex to add anything, will be full 3D scenes plus FMV...

I'm not actually that worried though, as I am fairly confident that Chris Jones has put a lot more thought, planning and preparation than what has gone into the other Kickstarter projects.

The other thing is, I believe they were already planning some form of Tex Game with the money made from their casual games, and hope to use Kickstarter to help make it a bigger and better project.

Just a few more days to go
Old 05-12-2012, 05:31 PM   #68
More slaw!!!

Oh, and as for the quality of the pitch video: this is what these guys do, it'll be amazing. How awesome was just the few seconds of Tex at the end of their Kickstarter announcement video
Old 05-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #69
self-distracted

Send a message via MSN to maladroid

I am also super-excited about this but also a tad worried as well. Like Toefur said, Tex is not exactly a hot brand name in the industry right now -perhaps never quite was. But I have faith in the abilities and planning of Chris and Aaron and I am confident their Kickstarter campaign will at least be very informative in terms of giving a clear picture of the final product they have in mind since they practically have had this game planned for 14+ years now!

Another thing they have on their side is that they are actually doing a sequel to a beloved IP they own the rights to, not something "similar" nor a remake so I hope that will go a long way.

Proud supporter of Tex Murphy - Project Fedora
Old 05-14-2012, 12:24 AM   #70

I think it's rather annoying that they didn't wait few more days for Jane's Kickstarter to end (they knew about it when they announced May 15th).
Old 05-14-2012, 12:48 AM   #71
Rin

Quote:
Originally Posted by teme View Post
I think it's rather annoying that they didn't wait few more days for Jane's Kickstarter to end (they knew about it when they announced May 15th).
I understand your feelings but I don't think any stepping on toes is intentional, I see it happen where big charity donation drives for gaming marathons overlap or collide with each other just because its a convenient time for both of them to start and they don't really mean to compete directly or anything. It might be tricky if each Kickstarter had to wait for each other considering the duration of an average campaign.

But on the upside there might of been some people who had this campaign as a personal priority and after they've seen the amounts for rewards and donated, they may move onto Jane's (whereas if it had ended after they might of held out without knowing what budget they'd need for the reward tier they want). Example from another Adventure Gamers thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by talkshow View Post
Tex Murphy priority one for me. Then Jane [...]
The guys behind Tex Murphy have donated towards Jane's Kickstarter and have been in contact with her, they are very supportive of each other. They've both agreed to promote each other according to this post which I think is awesome, they're all great people

Tex Murphy campaign starts tomorrow, woohoo!

Last edited by Rin; 05-14-2012 at 12:56 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 01:15 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by teme View Post
well I think it was the other way around, On the 24th feb Chris Jones announced he would be having an announcement . On the 20th march he announced the
kick starter date. Jane didn't place it on kickstarter until 3-4th april. There wasn't any publicity of her intentions. So do you think they should have then gone to the public & changed their date due to jane jumping in first.

Also its correct that chris jones does support jane & I am sure you will see shortly that jane will also support chris jones.

I have supported Jane & also have a lot of other tex murphy fans.

Last edited by plumgas; 05-14-2012 at 03:50 AM.
Old 05-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #73

TOMORROW IS THE BIG DAY!!!!

My bank account is ready to go!
Old 05-14-2012, 03:58 PM   #74
Chris Barraclough

Between Diablo 3 and this kickstarter, my heart can't take much more... the thought of more Tex makes me feel very shpadoinkle indeed.

Check out www.chrisbarraclough.co.uk for promotions and giveaways. Twitter: Seebaruk
Old 05-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #75
FOT
Geek Girl

The time is set! 5:30 MST Less than 12 hours from now!!! Get those CC's ready!!!!
Old 05-14-2012, 04:31 PM   #76
Schattenjäger

The timing in this kickstarter craze is tricky. They dont want to bump heads. But they also want to get the funding started as soon as they can.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #77
More slaw!!!

What is MST? What city can I put in my iPhone that is in that timezone, so I know when it is time?
Old 05-14-2012, 04:57 PM   #78
Schattenjäger

^mountain standard time, -6 GMT
Old 05-14-2012, 10:03 PM   #79
Homo Ludens

It's live now.

EDIT: About half an hour in, they've raised $18,000 out of the $450,000 goal. It's looking pretty good :-)

Last edited by TerminusEst; 05-14-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:24 PM   #80

Great pitch video. They're planning to release in December 2012 which seems a bit soon, but it looks like they have much of the writing and perhaps design out of the way.

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown