Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Tex Murphy seems to be back (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/30649-tex-murphy-seems-back.html)

Ark7 03-15-2012 01:25 PM

Tex Murphy seems to be back
 
Loks like Tex Murphy is probably coming on Kickstarter. :)

TerminusEst 03-15-2012 01:34 PM

I hope it's not someone impersonating Chris Jones (what a cruel jest would that be!) and, if not, I hope that the news are going to be what we all hope they are going to be.

Ark7, why do you mention Kickstarter? Am I missing something?

Ark7 03-15-2012 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TerminusEst (Post 603797)
I hope it's not someone impersonating Chris Jones (what a cruel jest would that be!) and, if not, I hope that the news are going to be what we all hope they are going to be.
Ark7, why do you mention Kickstarter? Am I missing something?

I don't think that somebody is impersonating Chris Jones - the site admin James LeMosy that has also post in that thread should know. And why Kickstarter? Jones says: "you control the fate of the Tex Murphy franchise."
What else it can mean than that they will be looking for the fan funding of another Tex Murphy game? And Kickstarter is most logical solution to that after the great success of Double Fine Adventure and Wasteland 2 there.

TimovieMan 03-15-2012 02:06 PM

If this is true, then hypothesis becomes reality. Anyone?

GreyFuss 03-15-2012 02:14 PM

I hope that this isn't someones idea of a joke. That poster created the account just recently and was their first post.

Would I be thrilled if this is indeed true?...you bet I would!. Would I contribute to any effort to bring back Tex for another mystery?...Definitly, and not just a few dollars. I donated nothing for the Double Fine Kickstarter because I wasn't fond of any of their other games and have no intentions or interest in what they want to do now....but Tex...I have goose bumps just thinking about it. My fingers are actually crossed that they can top the number that Double Fine has received.

Thank you for the best news of an adventure game I have read in years.

Ark7 03-15-2012 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreyFuss (Post 603800)
I donated nothing for the Double Fine Kickstarter because I wasn't fond of any of their other games and have no intentions or interest in what they want to do now....but Tex...I have goose bumps just thinking about it.

I donated 100 dollars to them because I liked Grim Fandango or Monkey Island games. But the main reason of donating was that I expected that it would change the game in whole gaming industry if it is very successful and other similar projects will soon follow. Of course I would donate to Tex game too.

TerminusEst 03-15-2012 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ark7 (Post 603798)
I don't think that somebody is impersonating Chris Jones - the site admin James LeMosy that has also post in that thread should know. And why Kickstarter? Jones says: "you control the fate of the Tex Murphy franchise."
What else it can mean than that they will be looking for the fan funding of another Tex Murphy game? And Kickstarter is most logical solution to that after t.he great success of Double Fine Adventure and Wasteland 2 there.

I find your reasoning compelling. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!

Arial Type 03-15-2012 03:43 PM

Why necessarily Kickstarter? Maybe they sold enough Cards to make a new Tex. There is also a Markus Persson option.

inm8#2 03-15-2012 04:11 PM

Unless that post is proven to be Chris Jones, I remain skeptical.

While I'm happy to see developers like Schafer, Fargo, and possibly Jones reinvigorate their beloved franchises or pursue projects they've wanted to do for a long time, I hope this Kickstarter trend doesn't blow up too rapidly.

I can see it reaching a point where people are overwhelmed with the projects they want to fund and at the same time disappointed with results. I'm not saying that'll happen with the current Kickstarters, but people like this guy can begin to flood the market.

JLeMosy 03-15-2012 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inm8#2 (Post 603812)
Unless that post is proven to be Chris Jones, I remain skeptical.

For what it's worth, I can say with absolute certainty that the 'ChrisJones' account on Unofficial Tex Murphy is 100% legit. :)

Ark7 03-16-2012 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inm8#2 (Post 603812)
While I'm happy to see developers like Schafer, Fargo, and possibly Jones reinvigorate their beloved franchises or pursue projects they've wanted to do for a long time, I hope this Kickstarter trend doesn't blow up too rapidly. I can see it reaching a point where people are overwhelmed with the projects they want to fund and at the same time disappointed with results. I'm not saying that'll happen with the current Kickstarters, but people like this guy can begin to flood the market.

I would not be so sceptical about Kickstarter trend and see rather the positives:
a) the players can now directly influence what games are created, it is not only in the hands of developers anymore
b) we finally see the projects we have been waiting for a long time - a classic adventure from Schaffer/Gilbert, classical RPG from Fargo and hopefully another Tex Murphy game from Jones. I doubt these will disappoint given the experience of people behind it
c) unknown developers can fund small indie projects. They will definitely not raise so much money as the famous developers, but if they will make very good game, next time they can raise more
d) the fan funding will not kill the traditional big producers model, many games will still be created the usual way, but the game creators will have more freedom in negotiation the conditions with the producers because they will be no more the only option
e) the market will not be flooded with the awful fan funded games, there will still be better and worse games but much more to choose from

plumgas 03-16-2012 01:30 AM

Gee we had aaron connors posting on big finish games forum some time ago & under a new login name & no-one beleived it was him. Poor guy forgot his password so he just created a new one. We didn't beleive it & thought it was spammer. we were all ashamed that we were no believers.

now no-one believes in chris jones...

recently chris jones (tex voice) made a recent recording after the credits in a overseer review video & stated he would have news soon. watch the link below & wait till the credits end

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LohxduyBVs

Fien 03-16-2012 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plumgas (Post 603853)
recently chris jones (tex voice) made a recent recording after the credits in a overseer review video & stated he would have news soon. watch the link below & wait till the credits end

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LohxduyBVs

So he said he's gonna be on Big Fish, not kickstarter. With one of those semi-HOGs they made? Just asking.

plumgas 03-16-2012 02:37 AM

tex isn't going to be on the big finish casuals although they have released their 4th title.

Personally I don't know who started this kickstart rumour. Seems to me people have kickstart on their brain.

We don't know what this new announcement will be but they have stated the future of a new tex game the progress was slow. I could be wrong it could be kickstart but why would they be building us up with comments of a big news annoncement just to say they were going to put it on kickstart.

there has been a few comments on face book leading up to this & they didn't indicate kickstart.

Ark7 03-16-2012 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plumgas (Post 603865)
...but why would they be building us up with comments of a big news annoncement just to say they were going to put it on kickstart.

Maybe to get more attention when the funding campaing starts? They have rights to the Tex Murphy franchise yet they did not have enough sources to make a big Murphy game. I guess they will be looking for money from fans and there is no more popular place (more people at the place = more money) at this moment for this than Kickstarter.

millenia 03-16-2012 07:16 AM

Oh what are the other casual games? I've played the 3 card games and really enjoyed them.

I hope this kickstarter thing is real too, and I hope the whole kickstarter idea would start to really bloom with the adventure genre. There are SO many sequels and prequels and unfinished stuff to make.

Kurufinwe 03-16-2012 07:57 AM

If they decide to go with Kickstarter, I hope they don't set an unrealistic goal. What happened with Double Fine Adventure was exceptional and due to a combination of factors, most of which wouldn't be present in this case.

Ever since DFA raised 1 million in 24 hours, I've been afraid of seeing other companies thinking that it's easy to get that amount of money for an adventure game on Kickstarter, and failing miserably because DFA was actually a very special case. I just hope this new Tex project won't be the first example of that.

zane 03-16-2012 11:14 AM

I think groups are carefully measuring their expectations, as is evidenced by big finish games waiting this long to jump in. But itl be really interesting to see what they ask for and how much pull the series still has.
As mentioned, the double fine incident was a really perfectly timed sequence of events, and it started with getting everybodies attention with the psychonauts-2-notch-twitter-exchange.
But before this kickstarter most people never wouldv believed tim schafer could raise that much so quickly. So we'l see just where some of these classic developers stand...
EDIT: oh and this might sound bad, but they should consider starting with some teasers that leave the door wiiiide open to what game it is. Thatl attract more people and get more sites to carry the story and then more people will stick around after the reveal.

plumgas 03-16-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by millenia (Post 603882)
Oh what are the other casual games? I've played the 3 card games and really enjoyed them.

after the 3 cards to midnight & deadtime they did a contract game for playfirst, murder island-secret of tantalus, then under big finish games the next game was - escape from thunder island & on 29th feb their latest title which is a sequel .

Lucien21 03-16-2012 02:55 PM

This months GAMES magazine in the UK has a excellent Under the Killing Moon behind the Scenes article.

In a box on the last page of the article is says that they are working on a follow up to Overseer with a working title of "Fedora".

Scheduled for release 4th Qtr 2012.


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Design & Logo Copyright ©1998 - 2017, Adventure Gamers®.
All posts by users and Adventure Gamers staff members are property of their original author and don't necessarily represent the opinion or editorial stance of Adventure Gamers.