You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure AG Community Playthrough - Discworld Noir

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2012, 06:23 AM   #141
Dreamfall Soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetDalilah View Post
Well Lewton couldn't figure out whose it was, but going back to Mundy's murder scene (since navy blue was there too) and crossing out other smells I figured out it was Commander Vimes' smell. Oh and does anyone know what are the Dark cyan and Maroon smells in Lewton's office?
Yes, you are right...it was Commander Vimes. Lewton does identify it at some point in the game. I think the dark cyan smell was Sapphire. I can't remember who the maroon scent was.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:31 AM   #142
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

It does help a little if you can remember who had been where when Lewton was still counted among the living.

The navy blue scent can be found at both Mundy's and Malachite's murder scenes as well as at the Patrician's palace => Commander Vimes.

SweetD and Dusty, about the maroon scent:
Spoiler:
Remember, you can also use the scents on the notebook items and vice versa. Can you recall who had been in Lewton's office? Think back to Act I.

I'll be back later today with my thoughts on Act III (and maybe some more quotes too! )

Last edited by Trunkyo; 02-01-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:06 AM   #143
The Quiet One

Well, I'm guessing one of them belongs to
Spoiler:
Al Khali.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 02-01-2012, 02:00 PM   #144
She Wants Revenge

Caught up finally and finished act III. This game is so long , took me a good while. Once again I love all the extra stuff there is, and not just jokes, though the jokes are brilliant.

I love how you can hear the different sides of stories, like the Tear of God thing (forgot the god's name). Malaclypse tells a funny story how it is constantly stolen, so that it's one month a year in its place and the rest of the time they are looking for it. Later Laredo Cronk tells us how she keeps stealing the tear for fun. And even later Death comments the very same tear. And this kind of referencing to earlier stuff is very common, like the Mr. Huggies thing.

We did see the killer before btw, in front of the Archaeologists' Guild. If someone spotted him elsewhere too please say.

I got stuck a couple of times even though I have played the game a few times before. For some reason I thought I had already asked about Sapphire's money several times but apparently not after bribing. Then I was wandering around for hours trying to get Lewton to realise what two tragedies had not been yet done. In the end it was just about not shifting in the theatre because I thought the actor dude would see me.

I really wish they would make more games like these. Replaying this and the GK trilogy (and the Tex Murphy games for the first time) really make me miss real quality detective adventures with rich worlds and charismatic characters.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:23 AM   #145
Filmfreak

Already finished with Act IV. That went rather well, I think. But the act was the shortest of the four and it was pretty straightforward: it was obvious at every turn what the next course of action should be. That said, because I went rather fast through it all, I may have missed a few hilarious quotes. Will have to see what you guys come up with.

Death was once again my favourite character (apart from Lewton, that is) with some of the best dialogues. After the death of
Spoiler:
Mooncalf
I couldn't stop laughing. That entire conversation with Death that followed was one of the funniest things in the game.

Dead guy:
"What were the odds that I'd get hit by lightning just as I renounced all gods..."
Death:
"ABOUT ONE TO ONE, I'D SAY.
YOU'RE NOT THE FIRST.
ALTHOUGH I THINK YOU'RE THE FIRST TO DO IT FROM THE TOP OF THEIR OWN TEMPLE.
FULL MARKS FOR STYLE."

Nice to see that I was right about those Casablanca-references. Although I'd figured that "This could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship." would have been spoken to either Nobby or Samael.
I'm also very glad to see that they kept the scope of destruction by Nylonathatep somewhat confined. I hate to see matters happen on too large of a scale suddenly – especially if you're a lone opposer with little to no chance of stopping the events from occuring on your own. I'm really glad that they handled this well.

I can safely say that Discworld Noir is now one of my favourite adventure games of all time (definitely in my top 10). Let's just say that it bumps the first Discworld game off the list... :-P

A couple of other great quotes from Act IV:

Sometimes I wondered if these ancient temples were designed to fall in on themselves at dramatic moments...

Lewton (about Nobby): Well, if I couldn't count on him as a friend, I could always count on him as a coward.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:13 AM   #146
Dreamfall Soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenia View Post
We did see the killer before btw, in front of the Archaeologists' Guild. If someone spotted him elsewhere too please say.
That is the only time that I saw him. I kept thinking that if I changed to a wolf that I could talk to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenia View Post
I got stuck a couple of times even though I have played the game a few times before. For some reason I thought I had already asked about Sapphire's money several times but apparently not after bribing. Then I was wandering around for hours trying to get Lewton to realise what two tragedies had not been yet done. In the end it was just about not shifting in the theatre because I thought the actor dude would see me.
I tried shifting everywhere just because you never know what will work or what clever response you might get if it doesn't. I was surprised when it let me shift at the theater in front of the actor.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:14 AM   #147
Dreamfall Soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
Death was once again my favourite character (apart from Lewton, that is) with some of the best dialogues. After the death of
Spoiler:
Mooncalf
I couldn't stop laughing. That entire conversation with Death that followed was one of the funniest things in the game.

Dead guy:
"What were the odds that I'd get hit by lightning just as I renounced all gods..."
Death:
"ABOUT ONE TO ONE, I'D SAY.
YOU'RE NOT THE FIRST.
ALTHOUGH I THINK YOU'RE THE FIRST TO DO IT FROM THE TOP OF THEIR OWN TEMPLE.
FULL MARKS FOR STYLE."

Death is an awesome character in this game. Thanks for the quotes! I didn't write any down and I am horrible at remembering quotes but I appreciate everyone who posts them...they help me relive the fun.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:25 AM   #148
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteAG View Post
I was surprised when it let me shift at the theater in front of the actor.
It's not really "in front of him" if he is on the stage (several yards back) and you're practically underneath the stage. You may be in his presence, but I'm not sure you're really in his line of sight...

Quote:
Death is an awesome character in this game. Thanks for the quotes! I didn't write any down and I am horrible at remembering quotes but I appreciate everyone who posts them...they help me relive the fun.
Death is an awesome character in the books, too.

Btw, since I reviewed the game somewhat for the "last finished game"-thread, I thought I could just crosspost here (well, technically *multipost* but who cares):

Discworld Noir – 4.5 / 5

I just finished Discworld Noir for the first time, and not only that, but it was also my first "community playthrough" which was actually quite fun. Not only can you discuss the game to great lengths, but it also gives you plenty of incentive to continue and/or finish the game before the agreed upon 'deadline'. Plus there's always someone reminding you of any easter eggs or funny quotes you may have missed.
As for the game itself: it's a beauty! The Discworld setting and Terry Pratchett's involvement (he's credited under "far too much interference") makes for an extremely funny and often hilariously absurd game with lots of sarcasm and cynicism to go around. And the noir setting really drives home all that sarcasm and cynicism while adding tons of movie references, some femme fatales and a pinch of suspense in the mix - while clouding everything else in darkness (seriously, even with the gamma-setting at its max, the game is still frigging dark). The end result is both intriguing and comical, and the colourful characters keep the entire thing fresh.
It also helps that the game deviates from the traditional 'point-and-click'-gameplay by making your notebook an invaluable tool and making dialogues the most prominent focus of the game. They spice things up halfway through by adding scents in the mix as well, a nice addition.
Being rather dialogue-heavy doesn't exactly help with the difficulty, though. Some portions of the game are actually rather easy (especially the first quarter and the endgame), but the bulk of the game (the entire middle part) is quite good. And at least the game is easier than its predecessors...
I had a blast playing this game, there were several characters that are utterly unforgettable (the main character Lewton, Death, Gaspode the Wonderdog, Nobby, etc.) and you could easily quote this game all day long (and consequently chuckle all night).
Old 02-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #149
Dreamfall Soon!

Quote:
It's not really "in front of him" if he is on the stage (several yards back) and you're practically underneath the stage. You may be in his presence, but I'm not sure you're really in his line of sight...
True -- but you are kind of snarling and howling. I can't imagine the actor couldn't hear that.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:06 AM   #150

I just finished ACT IV as well, man that Mooncalf bit was gold!

The ending fit the theme of the game and the main femme fatale at the end was truly surprising.
Spoiler:
I was hoping Lewton would end up with Carlotta but alas, a romance not to occur.

Struggled with a bit of pixel hunting again at the start of the act...you can't see anything in that green cavern, that's for sure. The blocky graphics don't really help it either.

I did find the puzzles a little hard overall, I think because instead of inventory based you've got to make connections with the notebook, pixel hunting, and dialogue options as usual. This didn't affect my enjoyment of the game though, the writing and the cast of characters were truly a joy to experience.

It was rather bug-heavy too, really did have to reload quite a few times.

My favourite character was definitely Death, he got some of the best lines in the game and was just a whole heap of fun overall.

All in all, I really enjoyed my first Community playthrough and loved pacing myself through a great game!
Old 02-03-2012, 10:01 AM   #151
Filmfreak

Is it normal that I'm starting to have a tendency to answer closed questions with "Much yesness!" instead of "Yes!"?
Old 02-03-2012, 12:18 PM   #152
Dreamfall Soon!

Quote:
Is it normal that I'm starting to have a tendency to answer closed questions with "Much yesness!" instead of "Yes!"?
Normal? No

Awesome? Much yesness!
Old 02-03-2012, 10:54 PM   #153
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

I'll echo everyone who liked collecting, comparing and identifying scents. It was a brilliant way for Lewton to use his new werewolf abilities to continue his investigations. This act also featured one of my favourite types of puzzles, plotting locations on a map and deriving connections (i.e. the octogram of murders). I also tried to look up everything (and everyone) I could in the Count's library to see if Lewton would dig up something interesting.

After finding out Therma's true identity, if you go back to the beginning of the Therma case in Act I, Sapphire's initial reaction to Lewton asking her if she knows a troll singer named Therma seems to make much more sense.

In Act III, Gaspode mentions several other werewolves in the city: Ludmilla Cake and Lupine are characters from Reaper Man, the second in the Death series of Discworld novels. However, Gaspode refuses to talk about Angua, the other werewolf in Ankh-Morpork. Those who have read the Watch novels will know that he's referring to Angua von Uberwald, meaning she is an in-law of sorts to Carlotta! I wonder if this little fact was intentionally left out via Gaspode's reluctance so as not to spoil the mystery of who turned Lewton into a werewolf. Then again, as others have mentioned, enough hints were dropped that pointed to Carlotta anyway.

Lewton remembers hearing about Mr. Hong, the missing owner of Three Jolly Luck Take-away Fish Bar, probably from his days in the City Watch. Mr. Hong supposedly disappeared in some horrible manner a mere five minutes after he opened his shop for business. This urban legend is mentioned in Men at Arms, the second Watch novel.

More memorable lines from Act III:

Lewton (after asking the Death of Rats about the Counterweight Killings): Well, no, it's not the rats that are being murdered.
The Grim Squeaker: SQUEAK.
Lewton: That's fair enough, I suppose. I'll be sure to come to you the first time I am investigating a serial ratkiller.
The Grim Squeaker: SQUEAK.
Lewton: Wee Mad Arthur? He's not a serial killer, he's an exterminator. Well, fair point, I suppose.
(Wee Mad Arthur is a gnome who makes his living supplying rats to dwarf eateries in Ankh-Morpork. He's a character in Carpe Jugulum, one the Witches novels.)

Lewton (about the Dysk Theatre stage): It made me think that all the Disc's a stage, and all the people players. Unfortunately, I felt like I'd been cast as an extra in my own life story.

Lewton: Have you heard about any merchants being murdered recently?
Privetier: But of course! One was slain in this very theatre only days ago.
Lewton: Really?
Privetier: At the climax of 'Kensington', the merchant is strangled by his very wife. It was very dramatic.
Lewton: The murder was in the play?
Privetier: I would not take such pleasure in a real murder, my boy. 'To mourn a mischief that is past and gone is the next way to draw a new mischief on.'
Lewton: Couldn't you just say 'bad things cause other bad things'?
Privetier: One must embrace the beauty of language!
Lewton: Well, ease up on the hug, Privetier, I think the language needs to breathe a little.

Lewton: I found out about the dead merchant. His name was Gamin, and he was strangled.
Nobby: How did you find that out?
Lewton: I was told by the tooth fairy.
Nobby: Really? Clever of you to track her down.
Lewton: Anyone ever told you you're credulous, Nobby?
Nobby: All right, I know, but I've got some special ointment for it.

Lewton: Can't you just tell me who killed Mundy?
Death: I WON'T SQUEAL, COPPER. NO-ONE WILL EVER SAY THAT DEATH IS A PIGEON ON A STOOL, YOU DOITY...ER...YOU DOITY RODENT OF SOME SORT. I SAY, THIS *IS* FUN, ISN'T IT.
(I guess even Death wants to get in on the noir act too! )
Old 02-04-2012, 12:00 AM   #154

All done! Superb game, really! Although in the spirit of film noire, why didn't I see THAT obvious ending/film parody coming? The giant tentacles must have been distracting me.

This chapter was easy enough, although there were a couple moments where I got stuck because you have to perform certain obscure actions in a particular order.

Really dug the Death scenes. Those conversations go on for a while, but I just kicked back and had fun listening to the nonsense. Death is so nonchalant about his job. "Am I going to Hell?!" "If that's what you want." The build-up for Mooncalf's scene was quite epic.

It's interesting how all the action-oriented sequences are always non-interactive. I think Lewton kills about four people/things in this chapter alone, and it's never put in a form of a puzzle - he just up and lets loose. I suppose it's to keep the game consistent with being about "investigation".

I'm pretty sure the iron-smell from your office was Al Khali and his axe. He's the only other character who's been in there, and there's no other place you can cross-check him with.

I do have a nitpick with the ending, though. When it came time to save the day, I was hoping Lewton would let someone else slay the beast. After all, he keeps saying he's "not the hero". So it would be more in his character and a nice twist on the Casablanca ending if, in addition to sending Isla off on that plane, he also let Two Conkers use the magic sword to slay the monster. I can already imagine the excitable nonsense Two Conkers would be screaming.

All in all, this was a great game! My favorite of the Discworlds by far, and a lot of that has to do with how well this ties into being a straight detective story with very appropriate puzzles. The atmosphere is perfect, the characters are likeable and the music's top-notch. Definitely recommended!

I'm looking forward to the next community play!
Old 02-04-2012, 01:06 AM   #155
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datadog View Post
It's interesting how all the action-oriented sequences are always non-interactive. I think Lewton kills about four people/things in this chapter alone, and it's never put in a form of a puzzle - he just up and lets loose. I suppose it's to keep the game consistent with being about "investigation".
After Lewton kills
Spoiler:
Satrap
, he'd already killed three-four people in cold blood. I actually thought Lewton was not going to make the end of the game either. Sort of as "justice" for his killing...
Old 02-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #156

I've just had one of the biggest "AHA! moments" in history - the map and the counterweight killings connection (yeap, i'm still in Act 3 ). I still haven't finished the puzzle though (i located 5 of the murders), but somehow it all made much more clearer in a rather confusing third act
Old 02-04-2012, 10:13 PM   #157

Finished! Great game! Great playthrough!

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 02-05-2012, 06:20 AM   #158
She Wants Revenge

I finished it last night too, managed to be a bit stuck in the last chapter . Replays often give you new means to get stuck when you think you have already done what's needed instead of trying everything again and again.

Chapter 4 could be a tad longer and I'd hoped there would have been more scent puzzles, the whole idea is almost forgotten (just a few jokes and automatic shifting is included). But those are really small things of course, this is still my favourite adventure

Mm also Rhodan and the heavy breathing zombie are really annoying to talk to, even though the dialogue is funny. Overall the game doesn't have horribly slow dialogue, it's nice to listen to and the tones and tempos just add humour.

I think the ending itself is very suitable for the game, I only wish they'd introduce DN2 since Lewton is obviously ready for another case (with his faithful companion Gaspode).
Old 02-06-2012, 02:16 PM   #159
The Quiet One

Aaand... finished.

A classic game! I don't think I did a very good job solving it this time though - I got stuck and used hints more than once. The last time I played the game, I think I solved it all on my own without a single hint.

Thanks for everyone's comments; I've enjoyed reading them!

A couple of questions: what exactly was the significance behind that envelope that belonged to Regan? Lewton seemed to think it was important, but it disappeared from the inventory by the last act. Also, who did that Dark Magenta smell belong to in that abandoned shop? That was the only smell I didn't ID...
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 02-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #160
an angel of romance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkyo View Post
It does help a little if you can remember who had been where when Lewton was still counted among the living.

SweetD and Dusty, about the maroon scent:
Spoiler:
Remember, you can also use the scents on the notebook items and vice versa. Can you recall who had been in Lewton's office? Think back to Act I.

I'll be back later today with my thoughts on Act III (and maybe some more quotes too! )
Thanks Trunk, I didn't know that Name:  aplauz.gif
Views: 139
Size:  2.2 KB

Quote:
Yes, you are right...it was Commander Vimes. Lewton does identify it at some point in the game. I think the dark cyan smell was Sapphire. I can't remember who the maroon scent was.
Yes, you're right Dark cyan is Sapphire, and Al Khali is Maroon

I'm sorry for not being around for so long , but I've been very busy and had a whole bunch of obligations Name:  study.gif
Views: 134
Size:  2.1 KB Name:  putertired.gif
Views: 132
Size:  11.0 KB Name:  gaah.gif
Views: 137
Size:  5.5 KB

More comments and responses about Act IV and the game coming later tonight.
Adventure games are like stories, they always have that special character who has to deal with misfortunes and get to the top. So if you don't play adventure games how will you write your own life story?

Currently playing: Minecraft, Hollywood Monsters

Recently finished: Discworld Noir playthrough