You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure AG Community Playthrough - Discworld Noir

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2012, 03:53 PM   #161
an angel of romance

I quite enjoyed the IV act too. Even though it was rather obvious what will happen, it was still quite interesting founding out who was actually behind the summoning of the Nylonathatep, and hearing all those great and funny lines. I must say that this act wins the first place with the number of murders/deaths that we all had the pleasure of seeing.
Spoiler:
(8 of them without counting the beast (3 of them committed by Lewton) I think Mooncalf’s death was the most spectacular for sure.
That is why we got to see the Death numerous times, and I absolutely loved his lines. However I was a little bit disappointed that we didn’t get to see Death talking to Lewton in this act somewhat more. The evil mastermind laugh was purely amazing, too.

I quite enjoyed the ending, but I expected more of it. I somehow think that the ending cutscene was too short. I expected Lewton to actually fight that tentacle beast, not destroy it with one hit of the sword. (Tentacle beast trying to swallow him would have been great, but hey, you can’t always get what you want Name:  sigh.gif
Views: 335
Size:  1.5 KB) Or I expected the goodbye scene with Ilsa to last a little longer. I have however liked the Casablanca reference and Gaspode’s response to that line.

Quotes from Act IV : I know a lot of quotes right, but don’t blame me I really enjoyed this act.

Lewton: “The Count had shuffled of his mortal coil in the recent Discquake – he was sleeping the big sleep, pushing up daisies, crossing the final frontier, booking a vacation in the Underworld. Basically, he was dead. When you’re dead you were sleeping the big sleep and nothing much mattered to you anymore. All the nastiness was behind you. For the rest of us, the nastiness was still around us, and if I didn’t stop that nastiness from crushing us all under its tentacles, we’d all be sleeping the big sleep. Frankly, I didn’t think the afterlife woul have enough beds”

Kondo: Oh no, it’s not that easy. Do you think I’m the over confident villain who reveals his whole plot to the hero shortly before placing you in an overly complex life-or-death situation that you then escape from at the last minute?
Lewton: It might make life easier if you were
Kondo: Real life isn’t like the Clickies, Lewton. The good guys don’t always win.
Lewton: What makes you think I’m the good guy?
Kondo: I don’t care what side you’re on Lewton. All I care about is that we are victorious and that everything is destroyed
Lewton: I just don’t understand why anyone would want to destroy the whole of creation. If you want to die, why not just kill yourself?
Kondo: I’m going to achieve something with my life Lewton. Something that no-one will ever forget
Lewton: Everyone’s going to be dead!! No-one is going to remember anything
Kondo: And that’s the achievement no-one else can claim!

Death: Hello again
Lewton: Have you come for me?
Death: No. I was just passing by and I thought it would be polite to say Hello. Isn’t that what you’re supposed to do with acquaintances?
Lewton: If you want to scare them to death.
Death: Sorry. I’m not good in social situations.
Lewton: It must be hard to fit in when you’re a seven foot tall skeleton with a scythe.

Satrap: Mr. Lewton, do come in. I’ve been expecting you.
Lewton: You’ve been using your magic to spy on me?
Satrap: No. I saw you through the telescope

Satrap: (Mad laughter)
Lewton: Don’t you think that laugh is a little over the top?
Satrap: Listen, Lewton, there are fewer perks than you might think to being what most people would consider an insane psychopath, plotting the destruction of everything. I have always thought that a good dose of mad laughter was something I had earned the right to indulge in.

Death: “Wrought in thy name?” You should get out more often, Satrap.
Satrap: I live to serve you
Death: Really? Any good at making curry?
Satrap: Erm… no. But I am causing death and destruction on a scale as yet unpredicted.
Death: And you think that makes me happy? I’m not the god of death you know, I’m just death. I’m just providing a service.

Zombie: Thanks a lot! Four hundred years I wait for you to come and let me out and the first thing you do is cut my arm off. It’ll take ages to sew back on.
Lewton: I’m sorry. I just sort of acted reflexively.
Zombie: So, you instinctively cut the arm of people you meet.
Lewton: If they come bursting out of the coffin, yes.

Lewton (to Ilsa): I was born when you kissed me and I died when you left me. I lived a few weeks while you loved me. Of course I also died when I got stabbed in the back, but you know, that wasn’t nearly as painful.
Lewton (to Ilsa): I’m going to save this city if I have to die again to do it. And I’m not going to do it for you, or for me, or for the worthless people who live in it. I’m going to do it to prove for once and for all that I’m not the washed up loser everyone thinks I am.

Nobby: Mrs Carlotta von Uberwald? I’m arresting you for Conspiracy, Accessory in Murder, attempted Urbicide, and for being bloody stupid. You don’t have to say anything, but if you say “not guilty” we are liable to kill ourselves laughing.

Gaspode: You really loved her, didn’t you?
Lewton: I don’t know. It doesn’t make much sense to me.
Gaspode: Well don’t ask me either. I mean I’m a specie that thinks someones leg is an object of desire.

Lewton: You know, this could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
Gaspode: Don’t push yer luck, sonny boy.

And know my impressions about the whole game.

Like I already said at some point, I really liked the combination of dark noir atmosphere and the sarcastic humor the game had to offer. But the true charm of the game were all the Discworld characters, like The Death, or Gaspode the Wonderdog (which were my favourite) The music was absolutely wonderful too. And I just loved all the noir films references (including the femme fatale (the one that got away)) I also liked the fact that the game was quite unexpected, and not for a second I could have known who was behind all the murders, and what was the greater meaning of them (The only person I suspected was Carlotta) Nevertheless, Discworld Noir became one of my favourite AGs for sure Name:  aplauz.gif
Views: 334
Size:  2.2 KB
Adventure games are like stories, they always have that special character who has to deal with misfortunes and get to the top. So if you don't play adventure games how will you write your own life story?

Currently playing: Minecraft, Hollywood Monsters

Recently finished: Discworld Noir playthrough
Old 02-08-2012, 01:33 AM   #162
She Wants Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyShinigami View Post
A couple of questions: what exactly was the significance behind that envelope that belonged to Regan? Lewton seemed to think it was important, but it disappeared from the inventory by the last act. Also, who did that Dark Magenta smell belong to in that abandoned shop? That was the only smell I didn't ID...
Carlotta admitted that Regin had been blackmailing her and that's why he was chosen to be one of the victims. She didn't know the envelope was empty at that time. This happened after Al Khali's death I think, when she came clean. If not, then near the end on the bridge. Earlier in the game Nobby already suggested that the envelope could have been used for blackmailing. He actually gives pretty good hints throughout the game.

I understood the dark magenta scent was Nylonathatep's. When smelling it Lewton says it's the most sinister thing he's ever smelled. Later on in the theatre he says the scent is so overwhelming he panicked and ran away. The trying to follow Horst's scent I think he mentions that the "dark magenta" is drowning all the other scents. If it wasn't directly Nylonathatep's it was still something to do with the dark sect and his summoning rituals, or perhaps then it was just the smell of the cooked victim .
(edit. Checked it, can't add the scent to Nylonathatep from the notebook but he definitely says "the dark magenta stench of Nylonathatep" when going after Horst.)

I missed Al Khali's scent this playthrough, he was dead before I tried to connect it and everything about him had been swiped form the notebook and inventory.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #163

Well of course it was the same scent!

I've finished with the Act 3, and just starting the final chapter. Sorry everyone, i'm not reading last couple of pages until i'm through with the game

Whew... many things to say, but i'll keep it brief as for now. Third act was really an "explosion" of all the sub-plots, characters... and how they all tie up together, and even though there was no really some extremely difficult puzzles it was still quite hard to me . Sometimes, it was simple things when i totally forgot about the "werewolf" powers. But i experienced something only few games have done previously, like The Last Express, where you're actually solving the "big puzzle" which is exploring, tying the things together and trying to answer to yourself - "What the heck is going on?". Can't say i didn't enjoy Carlotta's "revelation monologue" to finally put some light to it, although i suspect it's not entirely as it seems now, and there are still some things to be answered. I didn't see the whole "crazy cult" thing coming, neither the "fantasy" and "mythological" aspect to it. Library was a great place, giving the opportunity for some light-hearted comments but also for the crucial ones (one of which i actually forgot to check - Nylon..a-thingy thing and was stuck for days because of it )

As many said before, the Death character and the whole dialogue is hilarious:

Death: You seem remarkably calm for one who has just seen the defeater of empires, the swallower of oceans, the thief of years, the ultimate reality, the harvester of mankind, and the assassin against whom no lock will hold.
That's me, in case you have trouble with long sentences.

The theatre guy was interesting as well:

Privetier: Who am I to say what is usual and what is an aberrance of nature?

Lewton: Believe me, if I had someone else to ask I would.

as well as the New Hall place as a nice change of pace since it seemed oddly "out of place" with its cheerful music and something like it belongs more to Discworld 1 and 2:

Lewton: For a brief moment I considered actually making the beds.
Fortunately, good sense prevailed.

Some more quotes from the Act III:

Mankin: I heard you were dead.
Lewton: Perhaps I am. Get me a stiff drink. How about a whiskey?
Mankin: Don't you want something with it?
Lewton: Alright, put another whiskey in there.
Manklin: Drinking like that'll kill you.
Lewton: I'm dead already.

Carlotta: You're up late.
Lewton: I can never sleep after I've been stabbed to death.

And this one had me laugh out loud:

Lewton: Crowbar in hand, surrounded with bones and garbage I was reminded of the opening sequence of the clickie "Two Thousand and One Dalmations". The next thing I knew I'd be finding a big black monolith with white spots.

Also, anyone else found an interesting "bug" of a sort in the sanctuary? Whatever object you use on the exit, Lewton says: "How did I know if Ilsa was there or not?"

Last edited by diego; 02-08-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #164
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
Lewton: Crowbar in hand, surrounded with bones and garbage I was reminded of the opening sequence of the clickie "Two Thousand and One Dalmations". The next thing I knew I'd be finding a big black monolith with white spots.
I missed this one. Where was this? Using the crowbar on your grave or something?

Quote:
Also, anyone else found an interesting "bug" of a sort in the sanctuary? Whatever object you use on the exit, Lewton says: "How did I know if Ilsa was there or not?"
Encountered that one too.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #165
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

Another enjoyable playthrough! Discworld Noir is definitely in my top ten all-time favourites, very well-written and extremely quotable. The number of film noir references (both apparent and obscure) crammed into the game is staggering, and Lewton's hard-boiled dialogue is some of the best I've heard in an adventure. What starts out seemingly as a simple missing person investigation develops into several cases which eventually all wind up being cleverly tied together. The mysteries deepen and a series of gruesome murders becomes part of a much greater, evil plot with more twists than Nylonathatep's tentacles. I loved discovering (and re-discovering) all of the extra dialogue that was written for when you try "everything with everything" (see below).

Most of the voice acting was great, considering all of the characters were performed by only four actors. I always wondered if Rob Brydon intentionally made Lewton sound like J. Peterman (John O'Hurley's character in Seinfeld). Rob Brydon also played Death, Nobby, Mankin and Mooncalf, so he pretty much had all of the best lines in the game! As I mentioned previously, my only real gripe with the game was with Commander Vimes' characterization (voice and personality), which was a real departure from the Vimes as portrayed in the Watch series of Discworld novels.

More lines I discovered during the current playthrough that I had never heard before:
Using "Eight Great Tragedies" on Pseudopolis Yard (map screen): The only tragedy there was Nobby's odour.
Using "Eight Great Tragedies" on Rhodan's Workshop: There was something about Rhodan's statues that reminded me of Privetier's acting. They should really be made of wood, though.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan
I missed this one. Where was this? Using the crowbar on your grave or something?
Lewton says that if you use the crowbar on the bone at the abandoned fish bar on Dagon Street.

Despite the menacing horror dominating the Ankh-Morpork skyline in Act IV, these lines still made me chuckle (besides, most of the funniest quotes by Death have already been mentioned ):

Lewton: Where's Carlotta, Mooncalf?
Mooncalf: It doesn't matter. No-one will survive. Make your way carefully towards the exits and thanks for coming. No refunds!

Ilsa: Satrap must have been trying to imminentize the Gorrunan Eschaton.
Lewton: Can you try that again without sneezing?

Discworld Trivia: Rincewind was born under the sign of the Small Boring Group of Stars, "a sign associated with chessboard makers, sellers of onions, manufacturers of small plaster images of small religious significance allergic to pewter."

Discworld Noir trivia questions (Were you paying attention? ):
1. Which of the Eight Great Tragedies corresponded with the last two killings in the Octogram of Murders?
2. How many trolls (living or dead) did Lewton encounter in the game, and what were their names?
Old 02-08-2012, 11:34 PM   #166

1. Can't remember
2. Sapphire, Malachite, Horst, (dead troll thought to be "Therma")...4?

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 02-09-2012, 05:49 AM   #167
an angel of romance

Trunk I love the way you dig up quotes no one found and other useful information Name:  aplauz.gif
Views: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkyo View Post

Discworld Noir trivia questions (Were you paying attention? ):
1. Which of the Eight Great Tragedies corresponded with the last two killings in the Octogram of Murders?
2. How many trolls (living or dead) did Lewton encounter in the game, and what were their names?
1. I have no idea I didn't pay much attention to the content of the tragedies.
2. Sapphire, Malachite, Horst, Detritus (the troll from the watch who interrogated Lewton), Foid (the member of the cult of Anu-Anu), and the dead troll named Therma. That makes it 6.

Now for a little trivia of my own:
1. How many murders/deaths occurred in the IV act? Name them
2. How many murders/deaths happened in the whole game?
3. Name all the members of "undead" in the game

Also does anyone know where are Fien and zobraks? I haven't seen them since the III Act?
Adventure games are like stories, they always have that special character who has to deal with misfortunes and get to the top. So if you don't play adventure games how will you write your own life story?

Last edited by SweetDalilah; 02-09-2012 at 06:58 AM.
Old 02-09-2012, 06:27 AM   #168
an angel of romance

Quote:
I also tried to look up everything (and everyone) I could in the Count's library to see if Lewton would dig up something interesting.
And what exactly did you end up finding? If you don't mind sharing I'm really interested to know

Quote:
More memorable lines from Act III:

Lewton (after asking the Death of Rats about the Counterweight Killings): Well, no, it's not the rats that are being murdered.
The Grim Squeaker: SQUEAK.
Lewton: That's fair enough, I suppose. I'll be sure to come to you the first time I am investigating a serial ratkiller.
The Grim Squeaker: SQUEAK.
Lewton: Wee Mad Arthur? He's not a serial killer, he's an exterminator. Well, fair point, I suppose.
(Wee Mad Arthur is a gnome who makes his living supplying rats to dwarf eateries in Ankh-Morpork. He's a character in Carpe Jugulum, one the Witches novels.)

Lewton: I found out about the dead merchant. His name was Gamin, and he was strangled.
Nobby: How did you find that out?
Lewton: I was told by the tooth fairy.
Nobby: Really? Clever of you to track her down.
Lewton: Anyone ever told you you're credulous, Nobby?
Nobby: All right, I know, but I've got some special ointment for it.
Thanks for these, once again Trunk I missed them

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
After Lewton kills
Spoiler:
Satrap
, he'd already killed three-four people in cold blood. I actually thought Lewton was not going to make the end of the game either. Sort of as "justice" for his killing...
Yeah, I was suprised by Lewton's rampage too. Must be the werewolf inside him. Name:  Freddy.gif
Views: 300
Size:  2.8 KB Name:  FEB.png
Views: 297
Size:  3.9 KB But I wonder how he didn't get charged for all those murders? Self defence? Name:  noble.gif
Views: 298
Size:  1.1 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by millenia View Post
I think the ending itself is very suitable for the game, I only wish they'd introduce DN2 since Lewton is obviously ready for another case (with his faithful companion Gaspode).
We can only wish

Quote:
Also, who did that Dark Magenta smell belong to in that abandoned shop? That was the only smell I didn't ID...
Quote:
I understood the dark magenta scent was Nylonathatep's. When smelling it Lewton says it's the most sinister thing he's ever smelled. Later on in the theatre he says the scent is so overwhelming he panicked and ran away. The trying to follow Horst's scent I think he mentions that the "dark magenta" is drowning all the other scents. If it wasn't directly Nylonathatep's it was still something to do with the dark sect and his summoning rituals, or perhaps then it was just the smell of the cooked victim .
(edit. Checked it, can't add the scent to Nylonathatep from the notebook but he definitely says "the dark magenta stench of Nylonathatep" when going after Horst.)
Yes, like millenia said dark magenta is definetely Nylonathatep's. But I wonder how did his smell get inside the Dagon street shop before he was even summoned? Name:  icon_scratch.gif
Views: 300
Size:  209 Bytes

Quote:
I didn't see the whole "crazy cult" thing coming, neither the "fantasy" and "mythological" aspect to it. Library was a great place, giving the opportunity for some light-hearted comments but also for the crucial ones (one of which i actually forgot to check - Nylon..a-thingy thing and was stuck for days because of it )
How on earth could you not look that up? Weren't you interested to know what it was? Name:  dzavo.gif
Views: 297
Size:  959 Bytes

Quote:

I didn't encounter that. Thanks for sharing

Old 02-09-2012, 08:38 AM   #169
The Quiet One

Quote:
Carlotta admitted that Regin had been blackmailing her and that's why he was chosen to be one of the victims. She didn't know the envelope was empty at that time. This happened after Al Khali's death I think, when she came clean. If not, then near the end on the bridge. Earlier in the game Nobby already suggested that the envelope could have been used for blackmailing. He actually gives pretty good hints throughout the game.
I recall Carlotta saying Regin blackmailed her, but it never occurred to me that the envelope had anything to do with it. I'm gonna sound dumb here, but... what exactly was in the envelope? Money? Something else? Or was it just a bluff? I really don't recall anything about it during the conversations.

Quote:
Nylonathatep did cross my mind at first (I think), but like SweetD asked:
Quote:
'how did his smell get inside the Dagon street shop before he was even summoned?'
It might have been the cultists as a whole, but I doubt it...

Anyway, thanks for answering.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 02-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #170
She Wants Revenge

Quote:
I recall Carlotta saying Regin blackmailed her, but it never occurred to me that the envelope had anything to do with it. I'm gonna sound dumb here, but... what exactly was in the envelope? Money? Something else? Or was it just a bluff? I really don't recall anything about it during the conversations.
Yes it was a bluff, as I said, Carlotta mentioned that she didn't know the envelope was empty. It's was a pretty clear picture to me so you just didn't see or notice some of the dialogue.

Quote:
Nylonathatep did cross my mind at first (I think), but like SweetD asked:

It might have been the cultists as a whole, but I doubt it...

Anyway, thanks for answering.
Yes it was before the summoning and the game doesn't let you lock the scent for Nylonathatep so I couldn't be 100% sure but it was definitely pointed that way. The murder wasn't committed by Anu-Anu so there was no magenta with dots, perhaps the scent of Nylonathatep just was somehow "seeping out" when the cultists were probably chanting and cannibalizing there. Would be interesting to know if there is an actual answer or if it's just a small plothole to give the player a hint of the bigger evil to come.

At what point did the murder in shop happen? It would have been the first, no? And who died there?
Old 02-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #171

If the murders were happening in the same sequence as the plays, then the murder in the shop would've been the seventh murder to take place.
Old 02-09-2012, 03:50 PM   #172
The Quiet One

millenia, thanks again for clearing it up.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 02-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #173
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetDalilah View Post
And what exactly did you end up finding? If you don't mind sharing I'm really interested to know
Nothing happens when you use irrelevant clues with the index cards, Lewton just says, "I didn't really know how to look that up in the library." There are only a few clues for which Lewton finds information that isn't pertinent to the cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetDalilah
Yeah, I was suprised by Lewton's rampage too. Must be the werewolf inside him. But I wonder how he didn't get charged for all those murders? Self defence?
Probably because no one knows he killed them? As far as we know, there were no witnesses. Besides, the cult sanctuary where Kondo was killed is located in the Shades, the most dangerous section of Ankh-Morpork, so the Watch practically expects an unsolved murder or two there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by millenia
At what point did the murder in shop happen? It would have been the first, no? And who died there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datadog View Post
If the murders were happening in the same sequence as the plays, then the murder in the shop would've been the seventh murder to take place.
This is related to my first trivia question, so here's the answer to the "who":
Spoiler:
When Lewton questions Privetier about the Counterweight Killings, Privetier replies, "The closest to an unusual occurrence was when Lucius, miserable souse that he is, missed the role in 'Titus Diplodicus'... He was supposed to be playing Kanapay, but he didn't turn up. I don't know where he is. Probably afraid we're going to eat him alive when he finally drags his sorry carcass back here." (Kanapay obviously sounds like 'canapé', which is a type of appetizer. At this point, Privetier is basically foreshadowing Lucius' gruesome fate. ) Eventually, Lewton puts two and two together and realizes to his horror that the femur found at the fish bar is what's left of poor Lucius. Lewton can go back to the Dysk Theatre to let Privetier know what happened to his missing colleague (with a hilarious Hannibal Lecter reference thrown in! )

Last edited by Trunkyo; 02-10-2012 at 06:11 AM.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:30 AM   #174

Hi all.... I had no time to join the WT from the beginning, but last 2 days I was free to play the game and also read your comments in the meantime. I am in ACT 4 and still playing, but decided to sneak in a few small comments
I love the game, plot is a masterpiece, witty dialogues... It is the Discworld setting that appeals to me most.. Those who love the humour should definitely try the Watch books by TP - my favourites among Discworld series.

On the game - not to repeat the informative and insightful comments of the people in the WT, i have just to complain about Vimes (I pictured this character more like someone like Lewton)

I don't understand one thing - why after Lewton examines Mundy's coin he says - "the only time I saw Mundy he was playing with this coin"?
Is it a bug or I missed something?
Old 02-10-2012, 03:18 AM   #175
Filmfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by KasiaD View Post
I don't understand one thing - why after Lewton examines Mundy's coin he says - "the only time I saw Mundy he was playing with this coin"?
Is it a bug or I missed something?
In the cutscene at the end of Act I, Lewton approaches the room where Mundy is in. Mundy is sitting on the bed and playing with that coin (even though that's not that visible).
Since that's the only time Lewton ever saw Mundy, his statement makes perfect sense.
Old 02-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #176
She Wants Revenge

Quote:
Spoiler:
When Lewton questions Privetier about the Counterweight Killings, Privetier replies, "The closest to an unusual occurrence was when Lucius, miserable souse that he is, missed the role in 'Titus Diplodicus'... He was supposed to be playing Kanapay, but he didn't turn up. I don't know where he is. Probably afraid we're going to eat him alive when he finally drags his sorry carcass back here." (Kanapay obviously sounds like 'canapé', which is a type of appetizer. At this point, Privetier is basically foreshadowing Lucius' gruesome fate. ) Eventually, Lewton puts two and two together and realizes to his horror that the femur found at the fish bar is what's left of poor Lucius. Lewton can go back to the Dysk Theatre to let Privetier know what happened to his missing colleague (with a hilarious Hannibal Lecter reference thrown in! )
Oh yeah, I actually did realise this guy was the victim when I spoke to Privetier but I forgot about it later. Didn't talk to him again at least this time, that reference sounds a bit familiar though, might have seen it in earlier plays. And I remembered correctly that "Titus" was the play, but I never realised they were in some actual order. I somehow thought the shop killing would have been the first as they made Anu-anu do all the other killings, this could have happened before he got in town then. But I guess Anu-anu just wanted his victims raw . (Or then he did actually do the killing and the dark magenta drowns his scent too. Doesn't explain the dark magenta still though.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimovieMan View Post
In the cutscene at the end of Act I, Lewton approaches the room where Mundy is in. Mundy is sitting on the bed and playing with that coin (even though that's not that visible).
Since that's the only time Lewton ever saw Mundy, his statement makes perfect sense.
Yeah the cutscene is so short I often forget that Lewton ever saw him alive.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #177

Finished... whew! Am I the last?

I've read all of the comments and agree with many things - but i would need some time for impressions to settle down. As for now i can briefly and safely repeat, even though DN might not be a perfect game (which one is?), it's in some aspects, and in its own, quirky way one of the best adventure games and experiences out there.

As i said, i still need some time or even another play to tie together some loose ends in my head and all of the subplots, character motives... I must confess that the last parts of the game took some turns where i might have been expecting something else, like something more to do with Carlotta (not romance necessarily) other than the plain arrest. What surprised me most is how the game completely went into the "dark cult" direction, but in a clever way, using the already known characters, and being "serious" in ridiculing the "secret society" cliche. More puzzles with "clues" and even more to do with the scents wouldn't hurt, and I was also quite nervous during the whole time with Nylonathatep above the town, as it seemed more to me like i was playing some timed-sequence similar to the last parts of Phantasmagoria. The ending could've been longer indeed, and yes - zombie's voice is the worst voice in games ever - but all those are really minor quirks in a "pool" of a rich, unique ambience that few games possess. It's that magical touch where you're totally lost in the game world and assured you're part of it.

And - quotes. Yes, it's been said numerous times how good DN quotes are, but there's one more thing - some brilliant games like Monkey Island or earlier Discworld games have great quotes too, but majority of it are understandable mainly to the fans when put out of context. Noir, on the other hand, has a wide range of instantly recognizable things - things on life, love, hate, disappointment, being cynical, being cynical to yourself, taking chances, finding a new glimpse of hope... or just some "trivial" everyday stuff. And all that done in a humorous way, contrasting dark and "empty" places, which is probably why it seems so original no matter how many film-noir references there might be.

Quote:
Using "Eight Great Tragedies" on Pseudopolis Yard (map screen): The only tragedy there was Nobby's odour.
hehe, that's great! Which reminds me - DN is in a sense, probably a sort of a "predecessor" to games like Al Emmo or The Whispered World, where you can combine everything with everything, while getting more than generic responses. DN didn't overdo it, and part of the fun is finding those, which might not be crucial for completing the game but often adding something that has to do with the plot or puzzles.

Quote:
1. How many murders/deaths occurred in the IV act? Name them
3. Name all the members of "undead" in the game
Hey, i have to think about it! And what are the prizes for the quiz? Actually, those're pretty good questions to test the memory I need a little rest before answering, so as for now i'm just thinking loudly - 1. More than 3 2. More than 7 3. Well, that's easy:
Quote:
There are 8 species of undead in Discworld: Banshees, Bogeymen, Ghouls, Ghosts, Mummies, Vampires, Werewolves, and Zombies

Last edited by diego; 02-10-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:20 AM   #178
an angel of romance

Quote:
Nothing happens when you use irrelevant clues with the index cards, Lewton just says, "I didn't really know how to look that up in the library." There are only a few clues for which Lewton finds information that isn't pertinent to the cases.
Really? Well I guess I'll have to dig everything up! Name:  detective.gif
Views: 219
Size:  365 Bytes Name:  dzavo.gif
Views: 221
Quote:
Probably because no one knows he killed them? As far as we know, there were no witnesses. Besides, the cult sanctuary where Kondo was killed is located in the Shades, the most dangerous section of Ankh-Morpork, so the Watch practically expects an unsolved murder or two there.
Well yes, but Satrap's murder happened on top of Unseen University (but I guess there were no witnesses, and Carlotta witnessed Lewton pushing Horst, but she'll probably keep quiet, because he saved her, or it will be credited as self defence Clever Lewton Name:  dzavo.gif

Quote:
Spoiler:
And I thought it was the missing shop owner. Name:  icon_scratch.gif
Views: 219
Size:  209 Bytes Thanks for clearing this Trunkyo!

Quote:
Lewton remembers hearing about Mr. Hong, the missing owner of Three Jolly Luck Take-away Fish Bar, probably from his days in the City Watch. Mr. Hong supposedly disappeared in some horrible manner a mere five minutes after he opened his shop for business. This urban legend is mentioned in Men at Arms, the second Watch novel.
Quote:

Yes it was before the summoning and the game doesn't let you lock the scent for Nylonathatep so I couldn't be 100% sure but it was definitely pointed that way. The murder wasn't committed by Anu-Anu so there was no magenta with dots, perhaps the scent of Nylonathatep just was somehow "seeping out" when the cultists were probably chanting and cannibalizing there. Would be interesting to know if there is an actual answer or if it's just a small plothole to give the player a hint of the bigger evil to come.
Hm, yes it was probably a small plot hole. Anyway, thanks for explaining this millenia

Quote:
Finished... whew! Am I the last?
Looks like you are Name:  waiting.gif
Views: 217
Size:  8.3 KB

Quote:
As i said, i still need some time or even another play to tie together some loose ends in my head and all of the subplots, character motives... I must confess that the last parts of the game took some turns where i might have been expecting something else, like something more to do with Carlotta (not romance necessarily) other than the plain arrest. What surprised me most is how the game completely went into the "dark cult" direction, but in a clever way, using the already known characters, and being "serious" in ridiculing the "secret society" cliche. More puzzles with "clues" and even more to do with the scents wouldn't hurt, and I was also quite nervous during the whole time with Nylonathatep above the town, as it seemed more to me like i was playing some timed-sequence similar to the last parts of Phantasmagoria. The ending could've been longer indeed, and yes - zombie's voice is the worst voice in games ever - but all those are really minor quirks in a "pool" of a rich, unique ambience that few games possess. It's that magical touch where you're totally lost in the game world and assured you're part of it.
I completely agree with you

Quote:
Hey, i have to think about it! And what are the prizes for the quiz?
What prize? I have no idea what you're talking about. Name:  nonchalant.gif
Views: 224
Size:  2.2 KB Oh well if you guess everything correctly, we'll make a deal about some sort of prize, alright Name:  dzavo.gif
Quote:
Actually, those're pretty good questions to test the memory
Oh, why thank you. I love making hard puzzles that make everybody's head spin. Name:  dzavo.gif
Quote:
I need a little rest before answering, so as for now i'm just thinking loudly
Oh, you do that
Quote:
1. More than 3
Not even close Name:  dzavo.gif
Quote:
2. More than 7
Even colder Name:  dzavo.gif
Quote:
3. Well, that's easy:
Hey, you didn't even guess this one

Old 02-19-2012, 10:42 AM   #179
Beamin' Demon

Quote:
I included the other six plays as a reference, the answer is in bold:

The King of Ankh - Saipha drowned in vat of wine
Kensington - Gamin strangled
The Happy Prince of Copperhaven - Mathom poisoned
The Leering King - Mundy hung upside-down, eyes gouged out
Antilogy & Cleph-ptah-re - Regin bitten by asp
The Tyrant - Malachite stabbed
Titus Diplodicus - Lucius eaten
Trochilus & Cresylic - Al Khali dragged to death

Quote:
Six - Malachite, Sapphire, Jasper Horst, Detritus, Foid, the body of Madame Lodestone, a.k.a. "Not Therma" (Nice work, SweetD! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetDalilah
1. How many murders/deaths occurred in the IV act? Name them.
3. Name all the members of "undead" in the game.
1. Five? Mooncalf, Kondo, Gelid, Satrap and Jasper all died in Act IV. (The Count and Warb both died during the Discquake at the end of Act III but Lewton doesn't discover their deaths until Act IV.)
2. 17 deaths total? (Saipha, Gamin, Mathom, Mundy, Malachite, Regin, Lewton, palace guard, Lucius, Al Khali, Count von Uberwald, Warb, Mooncalf, Kondo, Gelid, Satrap and Jasper Horst)
3. Carlotta, Count von Uberwald and Lewton (werewolves), Samael (vampire), Mooncalf, Kondo and Satrap (ghosts), zombie guarding the Radiant Trapezohedron

Thanks for leading this playthrough, SweetD! Any final comments to wrap up?
Old 02-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #180
an angel of romance

Quote:
1. Five? Mooncalf, Kondo, Gelid, Satrap and Jasper all died in Act IV. (The Count and Warb both died during the Discquake at the end of Act III but Lewton doesn't discover their deaths until Act IV.)
Yes that is correct! Name:  aplauz.gif
Views: 177
Size:  2.2 KB I was actually counting Anu Anu as well, so that makes it 8

Quote:
2. 17 deaths total? (Saipha, Gamin, Mathom, Mundy, Malachite, Regin, Lewton, palace guard, Lucius, Al Khali, Count von Uberwald, Warb, Mooncalf, Kondo, Gelid, Satrap and Jasper Horst)
Yes that is also correct. Name:  aplauz.gif
Size:  2.2 KB 8 deaths in Act IV + 8 Counterweight killings + Lewton's death equals 17. But I don't recall any guard dying. Name:  icon_scratch.gif
Views: 182
Size:  209 Bytes When was that exactly Trunk?

Quote:
3. Carlotta, Count von Uberwald and Lewton (werewolves), Samael (vampire), Mooncalf, Kondo and Satrap (ghosts), zombie guarding the Radiant Trapezohedron
And this is 100% correct, of course! Name:  bravo.gif
Views: 175
Size:  5.8 KB
Here have a and a
Quote:
Thanks for leading this playthrough, SweetD! Any final comments to wrap up?
You're welcome. And thank you for all those easter eggs.

Here are some more beautiful or magnificent scenes that I had pleasure taking photos of. Name:  aplauz.gif

In the end I have to say that Discworld Noir is truly an amazing game. I have never had the opportunity to play a game with such a extraordinary plot, full of twist and turns, that left us with so many unanswered questions, almost until the very end. Almost every act ended with a great cliffhanger, and there was no way that we could have known what greater conspiracy was hidden behind the mysterious murders. The combination of dark film noir atmosphere with Discworld characters, filled with sarcastic and cynical humor, was truly full of win. The game also had some great soundtracks, that I’ll surely listen to now and then, especially “When you met her”. Name:  tears of joy.gif
Views: 179
Size:  1.0 KB I can’t say that I will easily forget all those amazing quotes said by Lewton, Death, Gaspode and many others. As I said Discworld Noir became and will remain one of my favorite adventure games of all time. Name:  wub.gif
Views: 175
Size:  1.4 KB