You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure What was your first adventure game?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2011, 12:28 PM   #81

My first adventure game i think it was ....a demo of the Lighthouse and the dark being but I never bought the hole game

After that Broken Sword 1 ,I still love it!
Old 03-21-2011, 07:35 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by garethbp View Post
Oh I LOVED the Laura Bow series, it's even on my current 'to play' list Just trying to figure out the right DOSBox settings to get it working.
Yes.... I loved Laura Bow: Colonels Bequest.. But I unfortunately didn't get to play
Laura Bow: 2. Was it any good... i mean just as good as the 1st one?
Old 03-22-2011, 12:13 PM   #83

Gosh, this takes me back. A lot of the titles are quite familiar to me. Although, thinking back, I believe my first brush with an adventure game was way back in the early 80's. As a neophyte at my local secondary school, I wandered into the computer room consisting of one solitary, glowing box in the corner and it had playing upon it, 'Nightmare Park'. What a moment, that was!There were other items that fed into this ineluctable path my life took towards the automated adventure game, areas such as: the Dungeons and Dragons phenomenon and the growth of hybrid electronic games such as Dark Tower. Nevertheless, once I became immersed in the completely computerised adventure world, things were never the same again - especially with the advent of the Spectrum. It was when I acquired one of those black boxes of delight that I moved onto text adventures such as the Planet of Death and, my own personal favourite of that ilk, Velnor's Lair. Pictures followed in a 'black and white to colour' moment.Having said that, Hobbit and TKV were a little dull; I much preferred Invincible Island and The Eye of Bain. However, the inchoate nature of the industry meant things moved on quickly and, therefore, so did I, to a set of games which weren't technically pure adventure games, they were given the appellation 'arcade adventure'. Christ, the hours I spent with these games: The Alchemist, Pyjamarama, Sabre Wulf. However, their apogee was, IMHO, Avalon and then Dragontorc. Jesus, when I found the 'Move' spell could be invoked just by pressing left or right!!! The latter really was the greatest. I don't think any game has ever matched the moment when I learned MID-GAME that the quest I had been led to believe I was on: 'Find the crowns that made the Dragontorc', was actually a quest to destroy them.
Anyway persiflage over. Any of the above ring any bells with anyone else?
Old 03-25-2011, 03:06 PM   #84
J.H
Frak.

I only just realised the other day that my first adventure like game was actually Granny's Garden when I was about 6 in primary school.

Old 04-04-2011, 01:14 PM   #85

Gabriel Knight 2

I guess i was lucky enough to start with one of the best games in the genre.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:12 PM   #86

Someone gave me Leisure Suit Larry 1 but I didn't get too far. Then I played Jewels of the Oracle - not really an adventure game, is it? But the graphics were so much different, and I got hooked immediately.
The next one was a real adventure - Lost Eden from Cryo.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:35 PM   #87

King's Quest 6

I played this with my dad and brother when I was 5 or so. We basically used the guide the game came with, but it was still super fun. My Dad has never played video games, and we played the game 18 or so years ago, he still remembers every detail. Great memories.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:47 PM   #88

I think my first adventure game was Leisure Suit Larry, the original AGI version.
I played that game a bit in what must have been '87 or '88, on the computer my father had from the place he worked at back then - one of those clunky Toshiba laptops with an orange and black screen.
Even though I was used to much better graphics (Commodore 64), there was something magical about playing that game.
I've always loved exploring, I suspect that and the fact that the game was so different from anything I had played... and also meant for people older than me - all of that made me very intrigued by the game.

However, I never got very far at all, seeing as I was too young to know much English. Not that it mattered all that much to me, back then I could just mess around in games and still have a great time without necessarily actually getting anywhere.

It wasn't all that long after that I got an Amiga 500 computer for Christmas, and I ended up... 'discovering' a few of the older Sierra AGI games on my Amiga (because of how horribly Sierra ported their games to the Amiga, the AGI games were pretty much the only really playable ones), amongst the piles of piles of floppies I used to have back then,

However, still not being very adept at English, I didn't get all that far still, and I had so many other games to play as well.

However - and this is the point I've been getting to - despite having played a few Sierra games, I somewhat consider Monkey Island to be my first adventure game as in it was the first adventure game that really drew me in and it had me completely obsess over it.
Much because it didn't have a parser interface (which I grew to love not very long after) meaning it was much easier to play and make progress in.
It was also the very first Amiga game I actually bought (first game I ever bought, my parents had bought me all my original C64 games), and I also happened to be used to rather small C64 game boxes... most of them no bigger than a cassette tape box (which in fact they were ).
So because of that, the comparatively huge Monkey Island box made a big impression on me... and the really cool artwork as well.
I didn't even know it was an adventure game when I bought it, actually I didn't know anything about it at all... I just happened to spot it on a shelf in this computer store we were at.

Anyway, this ended up being the first adventure game I actually played all the way through, and it made me appreciate the genre much more than I ever had up until that point.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:33 PM   #89
Senior Automaton

The Secret of Monkey Island. I was about 8, I think. I had no idea what I was doing in the game but eventually found my way around and I was sucked into the world for good, and still haven't escaped!
Old 04-04-2011, 09:39 PM   #90

I'm curious - seeing as you were also very young back then, actually very close to the very same age I was when I played it - were you also amazed when you discovered the first part wasn't the full game, and that you had several more to go?

A lot because my English was so poor back then, I spent *ages* on that first chapter, so the game felt like it had been really long already before I had finished the first chapter... so for some reason I assumed it was all there was, despite it being called "Part 1"... maybe I figured there would be a "Part 2" sequel or something, can't remember that part.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:02 PM   #91

Monkey Island 1

What a game, what a series, what a development company
Old 04-05-2011, 02:50 PM   #92

well, technically, "return to zork" was my first. but my first 3rd person was KQ6.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:14 PM   #93

Had an Amstrad 6128 with a few text games, barely remember them though. First games I remember are monkey island 1 & 2 pack form white label then day of the tentacle which frustrated the hell out of me.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:13 PM   #94

The Feeble files - since then IĀ“m a little too much obsessed with it as you can see from my avatar and some of previous posts.
Old 04-08-2011, 04:03 PM   #95
Senior Automaton

Quote:
Originally Posted by laffer View Post
I'm curious - seeing as you were also very young back then, actually very close to the very same age I was when I played it - were you also amazed when you discovered the first part wasn't the full game, and that you had several more to go?

A lot because my English was so poor back then, I spent *ages* on that first chapter, so the game felt like it had been really long already before I had finished the first chapter... so for some reason I assumed it was all there was, despite it being called "Part 1"... maybe I figured there would be a "Part 2" sequel or something, can't remember that part.
How interesting. I also remember the game being really long, because it took me many months to complete! I spent a lot of time on each section just wandering about, I didn't know what to do and didn't really care, I was so amazed to be playing as a wannabe pirate in this imaginative fantasy world. It was so different to the simple puzzle and action games I was used to.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:29 AM   #96

My mate had Simon the Sorcerer and Discworld - guess I must've thought all AGs had to be about cartoon wizards - way before I ever even got a PC. Unfortunately, his parents were really strict and I rarely got to go to his house, but when I did I was addicted to those games. He controlled and I made suggestions - it was exciting to find that my stupid way of thinking seemed to pay off in these titles.

I've been in pursuit of the satisfying feeling of solving AGs ever since.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:45 AM   #97

I do believe it was the original Zork on some sort of a business computer... Can't be particularly sure though.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:54 PM   #98

Hi to all!

New member here, first adventure game I played was Flight of the Amazon Queen. A friend lend it to me. Back then, I hadn't even heard about a game like that, I mostly played platform games (like Blues Brothers, Prehistoric...) and had recently tried out Quake, and when I played, I was hooked! Trying to figure out what to do to solve the puzzles (only found out about the whole Internet thingy a lot later)... some hair pulling, but overall had great time playing it.

After that, I managed to discover Gabriel Knight 2, quite by accident, and the hooked feeling got more real!
Old 04-12-2011, 03:11 PM   #99
Gaking Mames

Zork 2 was the first adventure game I played. I was in 7th grade, and was spending the night at a friend's house. He had a copy (no instructions) for his Mac.

We stayed up all night playing it. I remember being stuck in that stupid riddle room until like 3 in the morning!
Old 04-12-2011, 05:19 PM   #100

My memory is not great so I can't some up with a single answer. It was something like...

Leisure Suit Larry(remake)>Discworld>Myst>sequels.

Maniac Mansion may have been the official first, but I only played a bit of a friend's game. I also had Riddle of the Sphinx for 2600 which is adventure-like but I had NO idea what was going on in that game.