You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure What was your first adventure game?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2011, 03:13 PM   #61

Default Eep!

SIMON THE SORCERER!

I'm still shocked it isn't more of a classic. It is to me.

I played Dizzy titles and that partially-text-based Alice in Wonderland game too, but find text-based harder to get into and consider Dizzy more of a platformer... Discworlds I didn't get to properly play until a lot later...

Nope. STS for me!

"Because when I hold my cursor over you it says "Wizards"."
Old 03-03-2011, 03:29 PM   #62
Old timer - Adv. Addict

For me it was "Mask of Sun" on the Apple II, it really was love at first sight, just the thought of being able to go into this jungle and have, humm humrph, and adventure was enough to completely hook me. I got exposed to it on a school science fair, we had a small computer science section, and at the end of the first day the dude which had brought the computer in, seeing how much I was interested in the whole thing, put the floppy in; Needless to say everyday after the fair was closed I'd go there for a chance to play it! I'm still to finish that game!!
After that, I got my own CoCo2, and played pretty much every adventure game, which by then, somehow, I already knew it was called an "adventure game", I could get my hands on.
Those early years were amazing, because not only I had to beat the game, but learn enough English to even be able to play them. You guys thought you had a hard time with the text parsers? Try not knowing the language on top of that!! I remember, even as late as the "Seventh guest" having a hard time with the cake puzzle (it was a cake, right?), where you had to spell "Something or other, bashful monster?", I had no idea of the existence of the word "bashful", and to this day, whenever I have to reference someone as "Shy", I try to use "Bashful" instead!!
Old 03-03-2011, 03:32 PM   #63
Old timer - Adv. Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
http://www.allowe.com/Larry/1questions.htm

I would still get most of them wrong today.
But there was a way around them, I forget exactly how, but if you got them all wrong and then pressed ctrl+enter? Something like that, I remember I never even bothered with the questions
Old 03-04-2011, 12:22 PM   #64

My first adventure game was some Dizzy game on the ZX Spectrum.
WHen i got a PC, the first adventures were Maniac Mansion, Loom, Gobliiins and many many others.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:39 AM   #65

Like quite a few others the one that stands out in my mind as being the decisive moment where I realized my love of adventure games was LSL. Just like MakeMonroe said, I bought it aged 14 thinking this is some kind of sex game

I'd played a few prior to that, but not with the same conviction. Does anyone remember Corruption on the Atari ST?
Old 03-05-2011, 03:54 AM   #66

My first game was Dagger of Amon Ra, Laura Bow 2. That got me hooked on adventure games. Simon the Sorcerer was one of my next games, and that still is one of my favorite games.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:32 AM   #67

Oh I LOVED the Laura Bow series, it's even on my current 'to play' list Just trying to figure out the right DOSBox settings to get it working.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:41 AM   #68
Senior Passer-by

I suggest you forget DOSBox (in this case) and use ScummVM instead. Both Laura Bow games are 95% (practically 100%) compatible!
Old 03-06-2011, 08:13 PM   #69

Quest for Glory 1 was my first. That was probably about 15 years ago-ish, and I haven't stopped playing them since!
Old 03-07-2011, 02:10 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayvio View Post
ah yes the LSL age verification, not sure how accurate it was for verifying age but to anyone ignorant of american culture it didn't matter if you were 14 or 40 (seriously, I asked a few adults on the pretence that it was for school work)
There was definitely a way around the verification. It was either holding down the
Ctrl key and Esc (or Return)...... although I do remember that instead of
typing your answers you just typed the character 'X' a number of times
press enter and you would skip the age verification. I cant recall I ever
actually answered any of the questions I just skipped them all together.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:33 AM   #71

CTRL+ALT+X is the key combination to press. Works in the third game of the series too, if I'm not mistaken.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:53 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by harald View Post
ctrl+alt+x is the key combination to press. Works in the third game of the series too, if i'm not mistaken.
Bingo!
Old 03-10-2011, 02:58 AM   #73
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garethbp View Post
I'd played a few prior to that, but not with the same conviction. Does anyone remember Corruption on the Atari ST?
Oh yes! I both loved and hated Corruption. You could follow people and see what they were up too, sort of a turn-based interactive movie. But like all the Magnetic Scrolls games Corruption was terribly unforgiving. The game was unwinnable if you didn't for instance pick up the package hidden in the toilet within the first ten or twenty turns. Starting over and over again was no fun. Amazing that we put up with it in those days.
Old 03-10-2011, 03:23 AM   #74
Wren

Kings Quest 7 was my first
Old 03-10-2011, 10:25 AM   #75

My journey actually started with "The Curse of Monkey Island". I remember that I had some difficulties in understanding the the language but I was willing to sit for hours and translate every word I enjoyed every second of this game and when I finished it I played it again just to live the experience all over again.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:15 AM   #76

Send a message via MSN to Thesaya

Hugo 3. We just bought our first computer (Or my brother nagged my parents into it) We were at a store to buy some games for it. I saw Hugo and wanted it. Since I was five or six at the time, I mostly played sitting in my fathers lap, having him translate. I was already doing my brothers English vocab homework as good as him though, and actually remember playing it alone at times. I doubt I understood very much of the plot though, even if it was thin.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:57 AM   #77
Professional Life Lover

Send a message via AIM to C_Knight Send a message via MSN to C_Knight

I was introduced to Grim Fandago by Phil25 in Grade 7. We all thought it was so revolutionary at the time. Even our teacher didn't mind that we played during class hours (after we'd finish our homework of course )
Old 03-18-2011, 09:38 AM   #78
I (heart) classics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadWolf View Post
Police Quest: In Pursuit of the Death Angel on a glorious CGA monitor, around 1987 if I recall correctly.
This was mine too, a copy "given" to me by a fellow 6th grader around 1988. About the same time, I also got a copy of Indy3 from another friend, but I remember getting bored with it and not playing past the first few screens. (To this day, I have still not finished it, although I rank Indy 4-FOA as one of my all-time favorites.)

Arguably, though, my first "adventure" game was a hybrid from a few years earlier, called Castle Adventure.

I call it a hybrid, because occasionally you'd have to stab a snake or something by walking into it, similar to Kroz or ZZT would be years later.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:51 AM   #79

Here in the UK, during the '80s and '90s, many kids (myself included) played an adventure game at school called Granny's Garden. Furthermore, apparently it is still used today in many schools worldwide.

The original version was created for the BBC Micro by 4Mation, in 1983. After this version, it was ported to different systems and also, some of these updated the graphics and sound.

The adventure is set in the magical Kingdom of the Mountains, where the King and Queen's six children have been captured by a witch and you have to rescue them.

It used a variety of simple logic puzzles, spelling tests, and maths quizzes.

I remember loving this game at school, and thinking about it, it seems to be my first adventure, though memories of seeing my dad playing a game on the Amiga may pre-date it, it seems to be my first adventure game that I had played myself.

I think it educated me on "the ways of the adventure game" and not "the ways of the world" at all. However, I was a fairly bright kid, but I'm sure there are others, who found it educational in that way.

Does anybody else remember the game?

The first adventure game I played at home would be either Broken Sword/Monkey Island/Discworld. I'm really not sure which!

These I loved much, much more!
Old 03-18-2011, 11:20 AM   #80

Don't hold me to this but pretty sure my first was Zork on my Commodore 64