You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure What was your first adventure game?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2011, 01:32 AM   #101

Send a message via AIM to Gledster Send a message via MSN to Gledster Send a message via Yahoo to Gledster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
The Hobbit was my first adventure game also.
Another for The Hobbit (on PC this time). Though i was young and didn't get very far, it definitely got me hooked. Followed up with the Space Quest series, Kings Quest 3 (in which I also didn't get very far) and then Monkey Island, Rex Nebular, Maniac Mansion (for the NES ) and more....
Old 04-17-2011, 02:33 AM   #102

My first adventure game, which came packaged when I bought my first multimedia computer, was King's Quest 6, and when I finished that one, I played "Return to Zork". Both games took me ages to complete.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #103

My first was Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. We must have gotten it within a year or two after the game came out when I was about 5 or so. I remember my whole family used to play it together, which is really weird to think about. I can't picture my parents playing computer games now (other than something simple like Sudoku). The game was probably too hard for me to play by myself, and we eventually got stuck at the castle.

Shortly after that, we got Monkey Island 2, which I fell in love with even more. Again, my family played the game together. We played it on lite mode, but still it seemed like a hard game at the time. I remember us getting stuck for a long time at the part where the screen goes black. I eventually figured out how to get past that part, but then we could never figure out how to defeat LeChuck. The game even infected our imaginations. My brother, friends, and I used to pretend to be characters from the game and chase each other around. Years later, my brother and I consulted a walk-through and finally beat the game. We then, regrettably, used the walk-through to plow through the game on hard mode. We later beat Indy with a hint book as well.

It wasn't until after Curse of Monkey Island came out that I played Secret of Monkey Island. I had been mistakenly told that you had to type the commands in Monkey Island 1, and my spelling was pretty bad, so I had always been hesitant about getting it.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:32 AM   #104

Default And Than There Was None

My first PC game was And Then There Was None - still one of my favorites. This was just a couple of years ago. Didn't know anything about finding walkthrough's on YouTube or Goggle so it took me months to finish it. Really enjoyed it though and it got me hooked. Played about 60 games since.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:58 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by strandiam View Post
I also had Riddle of the Sphinx for 2600 which is adventure-like but I had NO idea what was going on in that game.
Ha Ha.... you and me both.... I still don't!
Old 04-24-2011, 05:41 AM   #106

I believe it was King's Quest VII: The Princeless Bride. I was around 4 years old when it was released and I don't think I got very far along, sadly. That's if you don't count games from Humongous Entertainment, however. I probably played Fatty Bear and Putt-Putt a little before KQ.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:58 AM   #107

I guess it was that old classic called Hugo. You had to write the commands, hehe.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:19 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPillager View Post
okay, here I go. First AG ever played:

The Key To The Castle

(I am actually shocked that there is a site for this game out there, impressed that I remember its name and afraid of my age!)
This was my first adventure game too
Old 05-03-2011, 11:58 AM   #109

Gabriel Knight- Sins of the father. EPIC.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #110
Codger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrooney View Post
Iceman. And I hated it. Thank you Sierra for KQ1. Text-based. If not for that, I might never have played another game.
Think it might be appropriate to ask about the platform one first played their games on. I see a lot of Myst first-players, which obviously means access to CD-ROM. While not going post-by-post, there might be a few posters that played their first game on a DVD platform.

My "real" first game, Iceman, was played on an 8088. And, while I hated it, it could be played using 5.75 floppies, 20MB HD and 1KB RAM. And I got to do business using WordPerfect too! The other psuedo, i.e., Pong game was played on a Fairchild console.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:56 PM   #111
UnseenUniversity Graduate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrooney View Post
Think it might be appropriate to ask about the platform one first played their games on. I see a lot of Myst first-players, which obviously means access to CD-ROM. While not going post-by-post, there might be a few posters that played their first game on a DVD platform.

My "real" first game, Iceman, was played on an 8088. And, while I hated it, it could be played using 5.75 floppies, 20MB HD and 1KB RAM. And I got to do business using WordPerfect too! The other psuedo, i.e., Pong game was played on a Fairchild console.

Played my first adventures on a Commodore 64 on big floppy disks. They were mostly text adventures with a flat graphic ( I never got anywhere in star trek because I couldn't spell analyse properly - still can't ). First PC games were on a 286 (I think that's right) on DOS, but I'm not sure if they were big or small floppies... It was about 1988 ish.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:48 PM   #112

My first adventure game was Broken Sword for the GBA. After got I got addicted to the genre and sought classic adventure games for the PC.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:28 PM   #113

My first adventure game was probably something on the C64 but the first one I can remember is Police Quest - In pursuit of the Death Angel. As a matter of fact I started a replay of PQ1 yesterday, haven't touched it in over 20 years. Sweet memories indeed!
Old 07-30-2011, 01:57 PM   #114
in search of the kyragem

Kyrandia Book I, almost simultaneously with Indiana Jones & FoA. No wonder I got hooked to the genre
Old 07-30-2011, 03:05 PM   #115

Either Monkey Island or Lure of the Temptress.
Old 07-30-2011, 04:21 PM   #116

My first adventure game was the original Zork, which I remember playing in "typing" class in school. Then of course, there were the other classic Infocom games like Leather Goddesses of Phobos (I was definitely too young to be playing that game).

Then, I don't really remember much until my first "graphical" adventure game, which was Codename: Iceman. My brother brought that game home from college, and I remember it blew my mind. The fact that you could walk a character around the screen, and then type something in and the character would actually do it, was so amazing to me at the time. (The only similar experience I can remember was when my mom brought home Super Mario Bros. and Mario could run across multiple screens which changed things forever). I had somehow missed all the earlier graphical games, like King's Quest, but I was hooked from that point on, through the glory years of Sierra and Lucasarts and on.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:57 AM   #117

I'd wish my parents had money like ÂŁ125 in 1982!

Edit: I guess they had.. just not to spend on a computer for me ^^
Old 08-02-2011, 10:25 AM   #118
kamikaze hummingbirds

My first AG was Day of the Tentacle. It took a while to finish because I was scared of Dr. Fred's voice and refused to talk to him.

Shortly afterwards was Fate of Atlantis which, due to being the Floppy disk version without voices improved my reading skills!
Old 08-04-2011, 06:27 PM   #119

My first Adventure game was actually MystIII Exile.
I also played zork: Nemesis, which i can slightly remember, Zork: Grand Inquisitor and THE LONGEST JOURNEY BEST GAME EVER
Old 08-04-2011, 10:44 PM   #120
Funk upon a time

My first adventure was 'Pirate Adventure aka Pirate's Cove' by Scott Adams.
after the first scene:

my life changed forever.

Ho, and played it on a TI 99/4a

Last edited by Starchild with a bobgun; 08-05-2011 at 03:10 AM.