You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure AG Community Playthrough #13: Gabriel Knight 2

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2010, 08:32 AM   #121
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Writer View Post
I always thought it was the grass he'd been lying in?
The most prozaic interpretation is that it's a little piece of nature which stuck to his T-shirt before he went to bed and dreamed of green grass, blue lakes, white birds and black beasts.... but I'm a romantic at heart and this is a romantic game, so it's down from a swan that was bitten by a wolf.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:16 PM   #122

I thought it was swan down /shrug.

Anyway finished chapter 2 and working of chapter 3.

Spoiler:
I liked Chapter 2 better than chapter 1. Grace seems closer to her character in GK 1; besides her jealous fighting with who I like to call supermodel Gerde (GK1 was peasant Gerde). It was a little easy, like other have said. Only obvious thing I did not know to do was use the typewriter near the end.

I have a theory of what will happen later on:
Spoiler:
Baron Glower and his club are werewolves. Him being the alpha wolf. The new member, the zoo doctor is either a new werewolf or their latest prey. At their monthly "hunts" they hunt humans, probably an invited member (like Gabriel). In chapter 3 or 5 (4 is Grace's chapter I'm guessing) Gabriel will be invited to a hunt and get bitten.
Old 03-05-2010, 10:23 PM   #123
fov
Rattenmonster

I just finished chapter 3. This is where the game gets good.

I finished with 260 points - might have missed a few?
Spoiler:
I accidentally missed asking Von Zell about the Black Wolf because I skipped to the question about the trophies in the basement, which ended the conversation.

Also I'm not sure if I could have

Spoiler:
gone back to the police station after calling Grossberg's office, and asked for his ledgers? I intended to, but I stopped at the club first to see if anyone was there and it triggered the end of the chapter.

Regarding Gabe and Grace's relationship:

Spoiler:
Gabe's kind of obnoxious and smug, the way he keeps saying he wants Grace to stay far away (when he's talking to Ubergrau about the castles, for example). I know that's his character - it's kind of a love / hate relationship - but I also wonder how Jane Jensen intended that to read. Are we supposed to think Gabe finds Grace incredibly annoying, and doesn't want her anywhere near him? Or that he's worried about her and wants to keep her out of danger? Or a bit of both?

I've played this game so many times I know the story by heart, but I'm interested to hear more about what the new players think is going on at this point...
Old 03-05-2010, 10:30 PM   #124

Just talked to Glower, think I will add to my theory (this is my first time playing by the way.)

Spoiler:
Hmm now I think his group is not responsible for the killings. I still think they are Werewolves, even more-so now.

I wonder, they aren't going to pull out vampires are they? That would be very cliche.
Old 03-06-2010, 03:42 AM   #125

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
Regarding Gabe and Grace's relationship:

Spoiler:
Gabe's kind of obnoxious and smug, the way he keeps saying he wants Grace to stay far away (when he's talking to Ubergrau about the castles, for example). I know that's his character - it's kind of a love / hate relationship - but I also wonder how Jane Jensen intended that to read. Are we supposed to think Gabe finds Grace incredibly annoying, and doesn't want her anywhere near him? Or that he's worried about her and wants to keep her out of danger? Or a bit of both?
The book explains this point:

Spoiler:
There are two main reasons. First, Gabriel dreads the responsibility of having "hired" Grace full-time, given that she's given up scholl and all: "There hadn't been any more cases for over a year. It was precisely this sort of dependency and responsibility that he dreades, the reason he avoided like the plague any meaningful relationship with a woman". Then there is the fact that Grace risked her life during their first case, and Gabriel doesn't want to put her in danger again: "[...] it would turn out to be some kind of normal animal or other - had to be. And by the time she got over her from the States it would all be over anyway. That's what he told himself." This theory is confirmed by Gabriel himself in the epilogue, when he explains it to Grace: "I remember what happened in New Orleans. I didn't want to put either one of us through that again. I know it was selfish, but that's honestly why I... why I didn't have you join me there. Bad reasoning [...]"
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 03-06-2010, 05:43 AM   #126
Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov View Post
This is where the game gets good.
Hehehe, I agree. Best day so far in my opnion. Playing as Grace is interesting, but as Gabriel is much better. I've finished chapter 3 with 260 points, too.

Quote:
Spoiler:
I accidentally missed asking Von Zell about the Black Wolf because I skipped to the question about the trophies in the basement, which ended the conversation.
Hahaha, I did the same thing, but I restored the game and asked him about it but he didn't say anything interesting and points were acquired so, don't worry.

Well, I think chapter was 3 awesome, very fun and interesting.

Got stuck in two points:

Spoiler:
First at the police station. I spent a lot of time to notice the small paper on the map, with the adress/phone number of the murdered guy (I don't remember his name, sorry)

Spoiler:
Second. In the cuckoo clock part, when you have to use it to lure xaver. Basicaly I used the old adventure rule: Use everything on everything. I thought that cuckoo clock was those ones that a little bird pops out of the clock with an annoying sound. Never thoght it would simulate a knocking sound, lol.

I haven't appealed to any web hints so far, and I'm gonna do the best I can to avoid it! It's been a long time since I've finished an adventure without UHS.

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 03-06-2010, 05:54 AM   #127
Senior *female* member

Final score of 167 points in chapter two and 261 in chapter three.

I honestly don’t understand why people seem to think Gabriel has lost his sense of humor. He’s in great form in chapter 3. His conversation with Xavier, his comments on for instance the chimney and the deer head at the club are the same kind of things Tim Curry’s Gabe would have said.

The familiar GK1 music at the police station is a nice touch. But Kommissar Leber is the one over-the-top actor in the game I really hate. Ant hizz English aczzent is atrozziouzz.
Spoiler:
First time, I spent hours looking for something to do because it never occurred to me to examine the map at the police station again after I’d talked to Leber.

Question for Davey: Could you please translate the German bits in the club? Other people might be interested too.
Spoiler:
I can’t make out what Von Zell whispers to Klingmann immediately after Gabe has picked up the magazine: “Ich bin sicher er/es ist kein...” and then something which sounds like Reiter or even writer? I may be completely off here. When Gabe starts talking to Von Aigner and Henneman, they speak in a normal tone about going hunting the next day, but when he leaves they start whispering too: “...er ist nett...” and the rest is gibberish to me.

By the way, the German pronounciation of the club members sounds terrific to my non-German ears. Except Von Glower. I had a look at the cast. Klingmann must be German with a name like Wolf Muser. Von Aigner too.

I like milking my favorite games dry, so to speak, and here are a few *totally unimportant* trivial details.

The magazine Gabe picks up in the club intrigued me because it features a story about Ulrike Meinhof’s children. (I bet I’m the only one here old enough to remember the Baader-Meinhof group in the seventies, their terrorist acts, Meinhof’s imprisonment and alleged suicide.) In the game the date is March 19, 1994. At least, that’s what the newspaper at the farm says. But one minute of googling revealed that this particular issue of the magazine was published much later, on July 17, 1995. I can just picture what went on during production... “we need a German magazine... hey, you! go to the nearest bookstore and grab one!

http://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/print/d-9202075.html

The production team did something strange to the words “Der Spiegel”. Copyright reasons? Not very likely..

And something’s wrong with the scenes with Von Zell and Klingmann in the chairs by the fireplace. Von Zell and Klingmann should have swapped chairs because Von Zell on the left is looking to the left when talking to Gabe, and Klingmann is looking to the right. Sloppy!
Old 03-06-2010, 07:10 AM   #128

Wow, Fien - you're a research fiend!

Very interesting news about the magazine!

Anyway, if everyone's done with Chapter Three, tomorrow I'll post my thoughts on it and, right after, the new info for Chapter Four (which is my favorite! )
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:10 AM   #129
Stalker of Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWrong View Post
I have a theory of what will happen later on:
Spoiler:
Baron Glower and his club are werewolves. Him being the alpha wolf. The new member, the zoo doctor is either a new werewolf or their latest prey. At their monthly "hunts" they hunt humans, probably an invited member (like Gabriel). In chapter 3 or 5 (4 is Grace's chapter I'm guessing) Gabriel will be invited to a hunt and get bitten.
Wow, that's a great theory! I won't say if it's right or not, but it sounds a lot like the story, "The Great Game", or something. I can't remember the exact title.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 03-06-2010, 12:09 PM   #130

I finished with chapter 3. More theories
Spoiler:
Hmm, does Glower want Gabriel to kill Zell? If he is an alpha wolf, than he could not kill him himself.

Zell could be doing the killings, but he does not have red hair! Does anyone in the club have red hair?

Also, is Grace full Japanese? For some reason in GK 1 I thought she was half Japanese "my mother is traditional Japanese"; but she has a Japanese last name.
Old 03-06-2010, 02:10 PM   #131
Senior *female* member

[QUOTE=PhoenixWrong;541115]
Spoiler:
Does anyone in the club have red hair?

Sure. Gabriel Knight has red hair.

Andrea, why is chapter 4 your favorite, are you going to tell us?
Old 03-06-2010, 03:20 PM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
Anyway, if everyone's done with Chapter Three, tomorrow I'll post my thoughts on it and, right after, the new info for Chapter Four (which is my favorite! )
Ahhhh, the reason why I almost didn't try to take part is confirmed...didn't have any time to start chapter 3 till just now. Have just managed about the first half/two-thirds, and will finish the rest tomorrow. Any chance of waiting till then Andrea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
I honestly don’t understand why people seem to think Gabriel has lost his sense of humor. He’s in great form in chapter 3.
Agreed. He may not quite have Tim Curry's style at it best from GK1, but lost is certainly overdoing it. It is of course true that there are simply less comments, due to there being less hot spots.

Quote:
But Kommissar Leber is the one over-the-top actor in the game I really hate. Ant hizz English aczzent is atrozziouzz.
I don't really mind the character - that type of boorish policeman exists in most countries, and certainly in Germany. But his fake German-English accent is probably the worst in the whole game - really dreadful. I don't think the actor is German either - his German certainly doesn't sound native speaker, unlike some of the others. The cuckop-clock seller was especially realistic

Quote:
Question for Davey: Could you please translate the German bits in the club?
I'll try, but remember if you're struggling, I may well too (I'm not a German native speaker either). It could well be that they're deliberately not intelligable (Jane Jensen didn't want to give too much away for players in English who do speak German!). Anyway, I'm not that far yet, I'll try & let you know tomorrow (I'll make sure I save it just beforehand so I can listen 2-3 times).

Quote:
By the way, the German pronounciation of the club members sounds terrific to my non-German ears. Except Von Glower. I had a look at the cast. Klingmann must be German with a name like Wolf Muser. Von Aigner too.
End of day 1 certainly sounded good (what there was, Xavier less so), I'll give you my thoughts tomorrow. Von Glower's also certainly not bad, better than a couple of other supposedly German characters.

Quote:
I bet I’m the only one here old enough to remember the Baader-Meinhof group in the seventies
Would be nice if that were true...but I'm afraid not Although I was pretty young at the time & so certainly didn't understand the details back then!
Old 03-06-2010, 05:08 PM   #133

Quote:
The magazine Gabe picks up in the club intrigued me because it features a story about Ulrike Meinhof’s children. (I bet I’m the only one here old enough to remember the Baader-Meinhof group in the seventies, their terrorist acts, Meinhof’s imprisonment and alleged suicide.)
Ah but I do actually, thanks to a great film 'The Baader-Meinhof Complex' .

Sorry guys, I'm with DaveyB here in that I'm still progressing in the chapter . I always try and sneak a peek at the spoilers though to see if they are something I already know, and have noticed a few words that may help me . Maybe...

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 03-07-2010, 03:30 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyB View Post
Ahhhh, the reason why I almost didn't try to take part is confirmed...didn't have any time to start chapter 3 till just now. Have just managed about the first half/two-thirds, and will finish the rest tomorrow. Any chance of waiting till then Andrea?
No problem for me!

Quote:
[Andrea, why is chapter 4 your favorite, are you going to tell us?
In due time, my dear Fien, in due time

Old 03-07-2010, 07:53 AM   #135
Stalker of Britain

A friend is letting me borrow his copy tonight, so hopefully I can catch up with you guys! (Although I have a test tomorrow and I'm obsessed with the Sims at the moment, I'll definetely make time).

Since this was the first Gabe I saw, I didn't think he was lacking. But after playing the first game, I can see why people think Gabe doesn't have the same spunk.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 03-08-2010, 05:35 AM   #136
Failed Birthday Elf

It's been a busy old real life for me recently but hopefully I'll finish up chapter 3 tonight. Please feel free to continue anyway though!

I must say I agree with FOV that this is where the game gets interesting! The story starts to become more concrete and massively more intriguing and practically all the characters at the hunt club are really interesting and well done. This is where the FMV really comes in to its own as the people are so believable due to both how well written the characters are and the fact they are played by real people, and for the most part, good actors.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:27 AM   #137
Senior *female* member

Offtopic ON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sughly View Post
Ah but I do actually, thanks to a great film 'The Baader-Meinhof Complex' .
I didn't know there was a movie about them. Glad you mentioned it, I immediately ordered the DVD. I have seen Die bleierne Zeit about Gudrun Ensslin, but that's partly fiction. I have always had mixed feelings about the leftwing ideology of the RAF (of course I do NOT condone their violence and terrorism in any way) and some of the members, especially women like Meinhof and Ensslin. The times were so different... Black Power, the Vietnam War, second wave of feminism... and a lot of hypocrisy in Germany, where Nazis went scot free and the nasty war stuff and accountibility were swept under the carpet.

Offtopic OFF
Old 03-08-2010, 11:06 AM   #138

Technical-Issue ON

Noooo I think I run into a bad game stopper bug in Chapter 3!! I don't know if anyone has ever had this problem and if there's any way to solve it. It happens

Spoiler:
In the Club right after I put the cuckoo clock in the plant, Gabe sits in one of the chairs and looks Xavier come and go,

when I regained control on the game I couldn't do anything, it doesn't respond to any click or anything, Help!! If someone has a saved game after that moment it would be great, or well even the beginning of Chapter 4... (I'm using the Dosbox installer and subtitles patch if that's makes a difference). I tried replaying the chapter but nothing, and I'm not sure replaying everything again would solve it either, though I wouldn't like that So probably I'll have to stop but I'll keep following the thread

Technical-Issue OFF (thanks for the idea Fien )
Old 03-08-2010, 12:50 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by danigar View Post
Technical-Issue ON

Noooo I think I run into a bad game stopper bug in Chapter 3!! I don't know if anyone has ever had this problem and if there's any way to solve it. It happens

Spoiler:
In the Club right after I put the cuckoo clock in the plant, Gabe sits in one of the chairs and looks Xavier come and go,

when I regained control on the game I couldn't do anything, it doesn't respond to any click or anything, Help!! If someone has a saved game after that moment it would be great, or well even the beginning of Chapter 4... (I'm using the Dosbox installer and subtitles patch if that's makes a difference). I tried replaying the chapter but nothing, and I'm not sure replaying everything again would solve it either, though I wouldn't like that So probably I'll have to stop but I'll keep following the thread

Technical-Issue OFF (thanks for the idea Fien )
Did you fix the issue? I have a save right at the beginning of chapter 4 if you need it. (if you can transfer save files that it )
Old 03-08-2010, 01:18 PM   #140

Quote:
Question for Davey: Could you please translate the German bits in the club? Other people might be interested too.
Okay, finally caught up & managed to understand the bits in the club (as much as is possible - it then becomes deliberately unintelligable) though I also needed a couple of listens. I'll keep the spoilers even though I don't think there's anything "spoilerish" here...

Quote:
Spoiler:
I can’t make out what Von Zell whispers to Klingmann immediately after Gabe has picked up the magazine: “Ich bin sicher er/es ist kein...” and then something which sounds like Reiter or even writer? I may be completely off here.
Spoiler:

Certainly not completely off - on 1st listen, I also understood "Ich bin sicher er ist kein Writer" (I'm sure he's not a writer) - but I knew (unless it was sloppy work) that it made no sense - why would they use the English word "writer" (In German "Schriftsteller" or "Author"). But I clicked on 2nd listen ""Ich bin sicher er ist kein Ritter"! i.e. I'm sure he's not a Ritter. Makes sense that von Zell, considering his pretty obvious prejudices, would be convinced that a slobby, laid-back American like Gaby could never have come from a good, traditional Germanic line like the Ritters.

Quote:
Spoiler:
When Gabe starts talking to Von Aigner and Henneman, they speak in a normal tone about going hunting the next day,
Spoiler:

Indeed. von Aigner says "I've cancelled my afternoon appointments. We're meeting here at 4 o'clock, aren't we" and Hennemann answers with "Yes, as far as I know."

Quote:
Spoiler:
but when he leaves they start whispering too: “...er ist nett...” and the rest is gibberish to me.
Spoiler:

No great insider perspective I'm afraid What von Aigner says is extremely difficult to hear, but it's "...eine sympatische Person" i.e. Gaby seems like a likeable/friendly person. To which Hennemann answers "Ja, er ist sehr nett." i.e. Yes, he's very nice. After that, it's (deliberately, I suspect) impossible to understand.

Quote:
I have doubts about von Zell (German accent when speaking English is overdone too) but I certainly agree about von Aigner & Hennemann - they certainly sounds right, highly likely to be German. Indeed, von Aigner's German accent when speaking English very good too. I'm not sure we hear Preiss speaking German, so can't say.

Spoiler:
But he's a wonderful character - creepy and disgusting, but wonderful One of the great things about GK2 is that you can have a character like him who's clearly got something about him, yet is totally a red herring! (Unless I'm missing something...)

Ok, I'm done with Chapter 3 - probably won't personally get the chance to move onto Chapter 4 till Thursday, but you're all welcome to start with it! Do think the music for the intro to Chapter 4 fits perfectly to the theme...