View Single Post
Old 03-08-2010, 01:18 PM   #140
DaveyB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Question for Davey: Could you please translate the German bits in the club? Other people might be interested too.
Okay, finally caught up & managed to understand the bits in the club (as much as is possible - it then becomes deliberately unintelligable) though I also needed a couple of listens. I'll keep the spoilers even though I don't think there's anything "spoilerish" here...

Quote:
Spoiler:
I can’t make out what Von Zell whispers to Klingmann immediately after Gabe has picked up the magazine: “Ich bin sicher er/es ist kein...” and then something which sounds like Reiter or even writer? I may be completely off here.
Spoiler:

Certainly not completely off - on 1st listen, I also understood "Ich bin sicher er ist kein Writer" (I'm sure he's not a writer) - but I knew (unless it was sloppy work) that it made no sense - why would they use the English word "writer" (In German "Schriftsteller" or "Author"). But I clicked on 2nd listen ""Ich bin sicher er ist kein Ritter"! i.e. I'm sure he's not a Ritter. Makes sense that von Zell, considering his pretty obvious prejudices, would be convinced that a slobby, laid-back American like Gaby could never have come from a good, traditional Germanic line like the Ritters.

Quote:
Spoiler:
When Gabe starts talking to Von Aigner and Henneman, they speak in a normal tone about going hunting the next day,
Spoiler:

Indeed. von Aigner says "I've cancelled my afternoon appointments. We're meeting here at 4 o'clock, aren't we" and Hennemann answers with "Yes, as far as I know."

Quote:
Spoiler:
but when he leaves they start whispering too: “...er ist nett...” and the rest is gibberish to me.
Spoiler:

No great insider perspective I'm afraid What von Aigner says is extremely difficult to hear, but it's "...eine sympatische Person" i.e. Gaby seems like a likeable/friendly person. To which Hennemann answers "Ja, er ist sehr nett." i.e. Yes, he's very nice. After that, it's (deliberately, I suspect) impossible to understand.

Quote:
By the way, the German pronounciation of the club members sounds terrific to my non-German ears. Except Von Glower. I had a look at the cast. Klingmann must be German with a name like Wolf Muser. Von Aigner too.
I have doubts about von Zell (German accent when speaking English is overdone too) but I certainly agree about von Aigner & Hennemann - they certainly sounds right, highly likely to be German. Indeed, von Aigner's German accent when speaking English very good too. I'm not sure we hear Preiss speaking German, so can't say.

Spoiler:
But he's a wonderful character - creepy and disgusting, but wonderful One of the great things about GK2 is that you can have a character like him who's clearly got something about him, yet is totally a red herring! (Unless I'm missing something...)

Ok, I'm done with Chapter 3 - probably won't personally get the chance to move onto Chapter 4 till Thursday, but you're all welcome to start with it! Do think the music for the intro to Chapter 4 fits perfectly to the theme...