You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure AG Community Playthrough #13: Gabriel Knight 2

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2010, 02:09 PM   #401
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Originally Posted by inm8#2 View Post
That's odd. PC Gamer (U.S.) gave GK2 a 95% or 96% rating. I definitely remember that.
You may be right, but in the British edition of PC Gamer (the mark was taken from the book written by the people that had worked for the British edition, and the marks in that book are the marks given in the magazine) GK 2 got (only?) 65%. And that, by the way, is a very high mark for an adventure game in the British edition of PC Gamer (look here what miserable marks some very famous and good adventures got in the same magazine).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
I don't get it. The lines in red must be about the rape in Phantasmagoria, not about GK2. So is that the reviewer's score for Phantasmagoria?
No, the short review only mentions Phantasmagoria, but it's about GK 2, and the 65% is for GK 2, not Phantasmagoria (incidentally, Phantasmagoria got 12% , and Phantasmagoria 2 got 69% in the same magazine).
Old 06-16-2010, 03:19 PM   #402
Senior *female* member

Sorry, but I'm still in the dark. There's no rape in GK2. Why are those lines in red when they are not a reflection on GK2?
Old 06-16-2010, 10:47 PM   #403
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
Why are those lines in red when they are not a reflection on GK2?
I put those lines in red because I think that's rubish, and nobody said the words in red are not a reflection on GK 2. Personally I think those words (about the rape) are referring to GK 2 because it would be plain stupid to write about one game and reflect on the other game the whole time.
I repeat: every word I quoted is from the PC Gamer writer's (short) review of the GK 2, not Phantasmagoria (1 or 2).

In case you're wondering why they mention a rape regarding GK 2 - I can't answer that question, sorry. You should ask those people from (the British edition!!! of) PC Gamer, although I doubt even they would know (they look to me as a bunch of individuals who don't know what they're talking about, at least when it comes to adventure games).

P.S. As I see it, they mentioned Phantasmagoria series only to stress that GK 'sequel' had fared better, compared to Phantasmagoria 'sequel'.
P.P.S.
Quote:
Consider yourself one of the happy few, cause many if not most people here hate my posts.
I'm beginning to see why .

Last edited by zobraks; 06-16-2010 at 11:17 PM. Reason: language barrier
Old 06-17-2010, 01:10 AM   #404
Senior *female* member

Look... I'm simply bewildered. What has "the promise of adult themes (centering on a rape)" to do with GK2. Maybe the reviewer feels that buyers who loved the rape in Phantasmagoria will be attracted to GK2, but if that's the case the readers who haven't played Phantasmagoria are bound to conclude from the words "will" and "promise" that GK2 centers on a rape. The whole sentence seems odd and meaningless to me, especially right after the praise in the previous one.

I'm sorry you feel attacked, I didn't mean to. I will avoid you in future.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:40 AM   #405
Life and times of...

I think it's just their fantasy over the vampire theme. For them (or the person reviewing it) it's always a metaphor for rape and so they feel that since they're expecting something like that, they don't get that maybe that's not so for everyone else.
Old 06-17-2010, 03:16 AM   #406
Senior Passer-by

Quote:
What has "the promise of adult themes (centering on a rape)" to do with GK2?
Nothing at all (and that's the whole point), but I didn't said that it has. I simply quoted some guy who wrote that to show what a stupid thing he had said. I thought that was obvious.

Quote:
Maybe the reviewer feels that buyers who loved the rape in Phantasmagoria will be attracted to GK2...
That's what I think too.
Quote:
... but if that's the case the readers who haven't played Phantasmagoria are bound to conclude from the words "will" and "promise" that GK2 centers on a rape.
I fully agree with this.

Quote:
The whole sentence seems odd and meaningless to me...
Exactly. And for that reason I painted it red.

Quote:
I'm sorry you feel attacked, I didn't mean to.
There's no need to be sorry : I didn't feel attacked, I felt misunderstood .
Quote:
I will avoid you in future.
I'm sorry to hear that because I find your posts quite interesting, but you can do as you please, of course.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:15 AM   #407
long live the dragons

Send a message via MSN to pointandcliklover

on a different note, i have 3 words to say now that i have finally finished the game after having time and pc issues.

WHAT A GAME

Marise-Chiko