You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure AG Community Playthrough #12: Gabriel Knight 1

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2010, 06:19 AM   #341
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sughly View Post
Not having played 2 or 3 I look forward to seeing the development of this relationship possibly more than any other factor. Though it will be a pity to see a different face/voice to her name, not to mention Gabriel's .
If you love Sins of the Fathers, I'm sure you'll love The Beast Within too, in spite of the differences. Because of the FMV the interface is different and The Beast doesn't have the same rich interactivity as The Sins, but it's a truly terrific game and the story is superb! Exciting and immersive cut scenes of real people showing emotions instead of grainy pixelated scenes with no facial expressions. You'll get used to the new Gabe and Grace. Dean Erickson has been criticised by some for his performance, but personally I think he did a great job. And Grace plays a much bigger part.

I'm already looking forward to the AG community playthrough of The Beast.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:00 AM   #342
Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
I'm already looking forward to the AG community playthrough of The Beast.
Yeah, me too. I've never played it before and many people say that it's even better than GK1!

Any idea when it's going to happen?

Playing: Alan Wake
Last Finished: Black Mirror 2 (4/5)
Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:23 AM   #343

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

If you're up to it, we can start off right away. First I'd like to hear back from everyone who played Sins of the Fathers, though, and I still have to find the time to post my own thoughts about the overall game.

And yes, GK2 is way, way better than the first one
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 02-08-2010, 11:29 AM   #344
The Quiet One

You'll get no objections from me.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 02-08-2010, 12:37 PM   #345
Pixiehunter

Just finished the last day. A worthy way to close this game, so much tension that gets built up in that last day. Great how they do so much with changes in music, like
Spoiler:
when you drum the right code to summon Dr. John and as soon as Gabriel stops drumming, the music of the Crash interrogation starts. Such a powerful piece of music, that makes the moment even more tense, and got me storming out of the inner circle because the music made me feel I was in a hurry and a very tight spot.
The same goes for the music during the endgame (which is my favorite piece of music, apart from the score during the end credits. Just. Love. That.)

People knowing me should not be surprised that I just have to love the endgame. (maybe a bit careful witht eh spoiler tags, but I would prefer to keep it a surprise, because that adds even more to the tension)
Spoiler:
Timed puzzles! Strict enough to get you all tensed up, though not so strict that it becomes physically impossible. And if you fail, you die. The way timed puzzles ought to be. Ah, love it!

Overall, well, gotta love this game. very rich, with reality blending into fiction, which is one of Jane Jensen's major talents. Intruging story, in general good puzzles (both of which, in my view, get better the further you get in the game).

Something that I still don't completely get (I feel so stupid): why the voodoo murders? Why did they start now? After being absent for so long? It can't be just
Spoiler:
for the hearts you find in the morgue, right?
Or is it? And if it is, then why did they only just start happening recently? It has to be linked to Gabriel's dreams, but for those the same question, why did they start just now? Why weren't they there before? Why weren't the murders there before? Why was Tetelo so quiet the past years and all of a sudden did she rise again in blood thirst? Was it because Gabriel was bound to take over the role of Schattenjäger anyway because Wolfgang's life was drawing to an end even without Tetelo's interference? Was it that all of sudden Malia, and with her Tetelo, was close to the next Schattenjäger?

EDIT: Here's another 'yes' to a Gabriel Knight 2 playthrough after this one!
Old 02-08-2010, 02:15 PM   #346
Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
If you're up to it, we can start off right away.

And yes, GK2 is way, way better than the first one
Wee! That's awesome.

I'll install and set it up, then!

Favorite: Grim Fandango, The Lost Crown, Twinsen's Odyssey, Metal Gear Solid series, Outcast, Syberia I & II.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:08 PM   #347

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luna Sevithiainen View Post
Something that I still don't completely get (I feel so stupid): why the voodoo murders? Why did they start now? After being absent for so long?
Now that you mention it, that's a pretty good point. Why now? I would take a guess that it has something to do with Malia being a certain age? Preparing herself properly for what was involved with Tetelo? The other thing too is that these murders could always have been happening, but just getting covered up by different people connected to the voodoo along the way. Bah I'm probably completely wrong and I'm sure Andrea will have something better to say

And as for GK2 - sorry for bringing it up Andrea, I'm definately interested to hear more on GK1 still. The proposition though of a GK2 playthrough is a very exciting one to say the least

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 02-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #348

As testified by the article Grace found about a string of killings back in XIX century, it's very likely that these voodoo murders occur on a cyclical basis, probably for ritualistic reasons, since it's a pretty common notion in the occult lore, especially when it comes to supernatural manifestations like hauntings, that such occurrencies happen in a very precise pattern that repeats itself over time. But another thing not to overlook is that the victims were indeed members of an external drug cartel - as the NOPD reportedly said in its press conferences - and it is entirely possible that the sect targeted these rival thugs both to fulfill their ritualistic cycle and to achieve a definitely more mundane goal, like the preservation of their economic interests.

In fact, I always believe in what Gabriel says when he's trying to convince Mosely to reopen the case:

"These guys have been in New Orleas a long fucking time. It's not the first time they've killed ritually to protect their interests. I mean, come on! This week it's the Chicago Mafia and, oh, by the way, a drug addict and a professor here and there! [...]"

Jane Jensen, Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, Roc 1997, p. 214
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:49 PM   #349
Random

Quote:
And as for GK2 - sorry for bringing it up Andrea, I'm definately interested to hear more on GK1 still. The proposition though of a GK2 playthrough is a very exciting one to say the least
Yeah, yeah. Me too!

I apologize for my anxiety, guys!

Last edited by Denaron; 02-08-2010 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 07:52 PM   #350

One thing I never understood is this:
Spoiler:
Gabriel left the tracking device and the serpent rod under the confessional kneeler. But how did Mosely know to use the rod in the wall's hole? Obviously, it would've made sense to Gabe, since he learned of the rod's use at the Snake Mound. But Mosely would've had no idea.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:20 PM   #351
Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottford View Post
Spoiler:
Gabriel left the tracking device and the serpent rod under the confessional kneeler. But how did Mosely know to use the rod in the wall's hole? Obviously, it would've made sense to Gabe, since he learned of the rod's use at the Snake Mound. But Mosely would've had no idea.
Spoiler:
Well, I'm not sure but I think he just figured out. Gabe left the rod with the tracker, so probably mosely should use it nearby. Since the confessional is not that big, I think it wasn't that hard to find the hole, hehehe.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:46 AM   #352

GK2 playthrough? Sure, I'm game.

Just finished:Jurassic Park, Mata Hari
Playing now:Assassin's Creed 2, So Blonde
To be continued:Final Fantasy 13
Old 02-09-2010, 02:02 AM   #353
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Hey! I just noticed your sig and you're already playing The Beast!
Old 02-09-2010, 03:09 AM   #354

I have not had much time to play lately, but with pleasure I followed all the comments. The ending of the game is lovely, even the timed sequences are exciting enough and easy to complete.

I am looking forward to final comments from Andrea, and of course the upcoming PT of the next GK installment

One thing I wonder about - Teleto was supposed to be very evil and powerful entity, who overwhelmed voodoo in New Orleans for years. Dr John is her favourite servant - together they reign over the dark sect in the city, hunderds of people terrified of them etc. Then
Spoiler:
comes Mosely and shoots him with the gun
Old 02-09-2010, 03:52 AM   #355

First of all, I'd like to thank everyone who partecipated to the playthrough: I had a great time with it and I was really glad to replay this amazing game with you.

Amazing game. Yes. I really think that Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers is a masterpiece, and definitely one of my favorite adventures. As you know, the Gabriel Knight series as a whole tops my list, but, obviously, I have my preferences and, if I were forced to choose, I'd certainly say that Sins is my least favorite out of the three. And not because it has so big a flaw that I can't overlook or because I didn't like its story, atmosphere, setting and characters. No: I love everything in this game, from the rich game-world to the intriguing dialogue system; from the dark, foreboding story to the thick, ominous atmosphere; from our intrepid but bungling Mosely to the wounded Crash; from the splendid musical orchestration to the multi-faceted interface.

And still, I really think that Jane outdid herself with the two following games: both The Beast Within and Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned tell a gripping tale where myth and historical fact blend seamlessly with each other; both are enriched by a superior cast of characters and the scope of their two story is really epic. But I can't held these feats against Sins, basically because Sins didn't want to be epic or magnificent in this luxuriant way (I'm thinking of the Opera in GK2 and, of course, of Le Serpent Rouge and the final climax in GK3). Sins of the Fathers is an origin story and, as such, its tone is appropriately intimate and melancholic, pensively thoughtful and ponderous. The adventure is about Gabriel's heritage and his discovery of this legacy, whereas the following games will be about Gabriel's inner turmoil (GK2) and, finally, Gabriel's belated taking charge of his responsibilities (GK3). Using a metaphor I really like, if The Beast Within represent Gabriel's adolescence and Blood of the Sacred his much welcome maturity, Sins could well be about his (spiritual) childhood, that pivotal moment where he finds out that he has to get up from his rocking chair and start to really live.

This is the reason why I don't like to disclose that, as games, I have my preferences amongst the three adventures: because they are so closely intertwined from a storytelling and thematic perspective, that I can't really choose between them, and I can't help but look at them as one, long but extremely cohesive (despite the disparaging media used for their productions), deeply thought-provoking coming-of-age tale.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:32 AM   #356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fien View Post
Hey! I just noticed your sig and you're already playing The Beast!
Haha ah yeah that's right, I forgot I put that there. Well, installing the game and going no further than the intro cut scene is one thing, actually playing it is another . I was just about to begin when I stumbled across the suggestion there may be a playthrough and have been waiting patiently ever since.

Well said by the way Andrea. I've noticed you comment on Sins as your lessor favourite and wondered how it could be possible, but your post just makes me more excited for these two games I'm (ashamedly) yet to experience...

Now playing: The Longest Journey, Gray Matter, Lost Horizon
Recently finished: Sanitarium
Looking Forward To: Deponia, Resonance
Old 02-09-2010, 05:40 AM   #357
Failed Birthday Elf

Finished the game last night.

It reminded me of the first time I completed the game. In those days I had no internet (no walkthroughs! ) and the game took me months to complete, possibly even a year (or at least it felt like it!) thanks to the difficulty of a couple of the puzzles and also missing the snake scale from the fortune teller's scarf (that took me ages and a few different goes to get!).

Anyway, I enjoyed the game so much, and in some strange way it had become a part of my life for such a long time, that when I completed it I was overcome by emotion and nearly cried! Partly because it is a great game and partly that I had put so much time and effort into playing it I didn't know what to do with myself next (gaming wise). I know it's sad and I fully own up to being a complete nerd, but well, I was only about 15 at the time and the old hormones were everywhere! At least that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Overall, the story of GK1 is a very adult story with some very serious and adult themes like love, betrayal, duty, destiny (both good and evil), self-sacrifice which is put together with the mystery of voodoo and "black magic" all wrapped up in a wry and self-depricating humour (which seems a very English style to me personally) which ends up with a game (and later series of games) that is unique in many respects.

Firstly Gabriel is a genuinely really likeable player character who I honestly care about and sympathise with whilst playing, quite rare in games. Secondly all the characters (mostly) are well formed and believeable (within the constraints of the story of course) and this leads to a massively immersive game with people, places and situations I really care about.

Also the story is coherent, original and very well written. Many games really fall down here (i'm looking at you Chronicles of Mystery! ) by trying to do a "save the world from impending disaster" type storyline that just doesn't work and leads to a rubbish and dissatisfying ending. Here the stakes are not so high as saving the world, but the battle against evil, together with internal battles in Gabe, Malia, Wolfgang and even Mosely, are more gripping and tense. Also it leaves room for a sequal, as after saving the world, where do you go next?

I suspect i'm in a minority here, but GK1 is far and away my favourite of the series, the characters, the story, the puzzles, it all seems pretty much perfect (8-icon verb-coin aside!) and, following on from Kings Quest VI, was the game that cemented me as an Adventure Game player above all else.

Above all, I think it is the journey Gabriel goes on, from ne'er-do-well lazy writer just doing the easiest thing to get by, taking up the challenges presented by his family history and the situations in which he finds himself, to acheiving so much more and becoming a much more responsible and strong person, whilst keeping all the humour and charm he had in the first place. It really is an exciting and beautiful story which always satisfies and never goes too far, leaving you wanting more!

So, only two things left to say for me.

1. Thank you Andrea for another brilliant playthrough, your comments and insights are invaluable and really benefit the game playing process. Also thanks to everyone else who has played along and commented, it's always so interesting to hear new thoughts/ideas on a game you know and love.

2. Bring on the GK2 playthrough!
Old 02-09-2010, 10:42 AM   #358

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottford View Post
Spoiler:
In the novel Jane explains that
Spoiler:
Gabriel scribbled a quick note to Mosely with instructions on how to use the rod

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 02-09-2010, 12:19 PM   #359
Stalker of Britain

I really liked Mosely and his bumbling.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 02-09-2010, 02:58 PM   #360
Dreamfall Soon!

I never noticed that the painting was back in the shop--nice catch! I was too geared up for the final show down, I guess.

Spoiler:
I died several times in the final chapter but remembered enough to get through it without too many tries. I waited in Dr. John's room for too long for one death and I forgot to get a costume for Mosely in another.

I ended up with the maximum number of points too and I didn't use a walkthrough once during the game. I just remember too much from playing this 15 years ago so I never really got too stuck anywhere. It's amazing how these puzzles stay with you!

I love, love The Beast Within. I can't wait to play with you all.