You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Tales of Monkey Island coming soon

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2009, 07:59 AM   #41
Homer of Kittens

After having gone through Sam & Max season 1 from Telltale, my level of excitement for this game is lukewarm at best. I LOVE the old Monkey Island series, but some games are better left alone, especially when the original creator is not involved in making the game (unless he is??????). I know this is probably not very popular to say on this site, but Telltale's games haven't done it for me the way the old Lucas Arts games have. I don't know if it is me just growing more cynical as I got older, or the older games being more fun.

Firefox rules
Old 06-02-2009, 09:29 AM   #42
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Kind of surprised about the amount of negative comments so far regarding the graphics, I mean just a couple of days ago we were still living in a world where we thought there would never be another Monkey Island game, so I think the bottom line should be that this game is actually happening at all rather than the style of visuals.

In any case graphics have only ever been one aspect of MI, as long as the wit and character of the old games is still there then there shouldn't be to much to worry about.

I'd rather play an average looking Monkey Island game than some pretty but soulless adventure game with crappy throw away dialogue, which lets face it is most adventure games these days.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 06-02-2009, 09:35 AM   #43
Friendly Server Admin

I'm pretty surprised at the amount of vitriol too, honestly. Adventure gamers love the mouths of gift horses apparently

(FWIW, I think the game looks pretty good, and no, I'm not a Telltale employee. Anymore.)
Old 06-02-2009, 09:57 AM   #44

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabacco View Post
Adventure gamers love the mouths of gift horses apparently
Awesome!

Honestly, I was surprised too by the many negative reactions. Whilst I think that they are understandable on some level (I try to imagine myself if a GK4 would be announced without Jane Jensen, with bad graphics, without historically accurate background etc.), I also think that this particular game looks really good, both graphically and technically (at least judging from the trailer, which was also quite fun )
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 06-02-2009, 09:59 AM   #45
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

How could someone be a fan of adventure games and not get excited for this? Ron Gilbert himself is excited for it. The fact that LucasArts are showing an interest in adventure games again is wonderful news, and if this and the upcoming special edition of the first game are commercial successes, it'll definitely encourage them to take a second look at the genre. If there has ever been a situation where adventure games could prove their relevance in the mainstream again, this is it.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 06-02-2009, 11:10 AM   #46
Schättenjager

Well my concern about graphics that distortion level of characters too high, consider Sam&max's similarity or exact Wallace&Gromit's of Telltales.Comparing with new Threepwood looks pretty out of shape.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:32 AM   #47
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
Well my concern about graphics that distortion level of characters too high, consider Sam&max's similarity or exact Wallace&Gromit's of Telltales.Comparing with new Threepwood looks pretty out of shape.
Instead of comparing Threepwood to those characters, try comparing him to...I don't know, maybe the Curse of Monkey Island Threepwood?
Old 06-02-2009, 12:08 PM   #48

Personally, I think the fact that LucasArts is flexing their adventure game franchises outweighs any of my small grievances over the graphical art style they chose to use.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:11 PM   #49
never stops believin'

I've never played a MI game in my life. I'm happy about both of these announcements because:

1. I want to play the first MI and now i can!
2. Telltalle Games are geniuses, and I'm basing that off of S&M Season 1, because i've never gotten around to season two.

Finally,

3. How can I get a job at Telltale? This company is awesome.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:17 PM   #50
Under pressure.

I just realized I never finished Escape from Monkey Island. Maybe I should give it another try. If it still runs on modern hardware.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:02 PM   #51

My belly-button is puckering and unpuckering in anticipation.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:03 PM   #52
Banned User

I don't know. I really dig this.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:56 PM   #53

Graphics are only pixel-deep. What's really at issue is if these new games will live up to the spirit of their predecessors, and I for one am exceedingly optimistic!

Plus, I love the fact that they're to be released soon! As in, available to play without waiting years! Nice!
Old 06-02-2009, 08:49 PM   #54
Headbanger

Am I the only one who thinks the new graphics kicks ass? Maybe a little low on detail regarding the textures but I can more then live with that. The fact that I also laughed out loud when I saw the trailer is the final confirmation that this will be something to look forward to in every regard as far as I'm concerned.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:32 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28 View Post
After having gone through Sam & Max season 1 from Telltale, my level of excitement for this game is lukewarm at best. I LOVE the old Monkey Island series, but some games are better left alone, especially when the original creator is not involved in making the game (unless he is??????).
At the risk of seeming self-serving (on second thought, let's go for it! ) may I draw your attention to this excerpt from the AdventureGamers.com Monkey Island preview now showing on the main page:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dantebk
It’s not just the principle voice cast who’ve returned to the franchise. The credits for this series reads like a veritable Monkey Island All-Star Team. For the full list you can go to the official website, but I’ll remind you that Dave Grossman, one of the original designers of Monkey Island, is overseeing the whole project as Design Director. Mike Stemmle, designer of Escape from Monkey Island and Sam & Max Hit the Road, is on board as well, and is lead designer of the first episode. Several artists with Monkey Island experience are also working on Tales, as is Michael Land, the composer of all four previous MI games (though his new compositions weren’t in the build I saw). Telltale even brought Ron Gilbert himself into the office for a few days to help brainstorm, and the team claims “his thumbprints are all over” the series.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:26 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzosports View Post
I've never played a MI game in my life. I'm happy about both of these announcements because:

1. I want to play the first MI and now i can!
2. Telltalle Games are geniuses, and I'm basing that off of S&M Season 1, because i've never gotten around to season two.

Finally,

3. How can I get a job at Telltale? This company is awesome.
My sentiments exactly. I too never played any Monkey Island games and I am intrigued about this new development. Especially because of the keyboard controls and 3D graphics.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:45 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br View Post
I just realized I never finished Escape from Monkey Island. Maybe I should give it another try.
my thoughts exactly

now that i think of, mi4 didn have that bad graphics after all ;]

well, seriously all of them always had superb and rich graphics to accompany the biggest value of the game series - music, humour, writing, puzzles, dialogs... that stick to you with a great, great personality. Because, Monkey Island is when a bunch of unconcerned crew start singing "A Pirate I was Meant to Be" where Guybrush is preparing for some fearsome pirating and not stupid rhyming, it's when u think you are rich and then next moment Largo empties your pocket, Monkey Island is El Polo Diablo, Banjo Duel, Spitting Contest, Sword Insults.. and as for writing and composing i couldnt imagine better people then those who worked on the originals. But, the fact that 3d look of the new series isn't that great and that its keyboard controlled is not the only thing that bothers. Guybrush - he has never been a sort of a macho guy that previews are implying to. He is a turned-out-to-be hero, honest, funny, clumsy lover, a "flooring inspector". So it looks to me that something that is unique for the series is changed to appeal younger audience. I m not talking here just on Guybrush appereance which is not without a potential, but as a whole impression. I wont start on a control appeal to consoles as well. And it could be rude to say, but seems like programers believe that all who love monkey island would bye games because its monkey island, so they try to win some more uninterested customers by making decisions which could not be necessarily turned right.

Back to graphics. It reminds me of a Jack Keane, or even Pitfall Harry in 3D which i liked, but somehow less detailed and simplified. Classic 2d hand painted graphics is probably what i love the most and something that, for some reason i imagined new Monkey games would be, in a style of The Whispered World or Unwritten Tales. I m not against 3D though, Ankh, Ceville and mentioned Jack Keane showed it could be done properly.

Art has really good sides, like this one - http://www.adventuregamers.com/screenshot.php?id=10149 which is brilliant, but also much better then screenshots - http://www.adventuregamers.com/gallery.php?id=1500. Putting aside the technical aspect, shading or number of poligons, enviroments are not exactly on a level with a games from series. Looking for example at the picture from MI 2

pretty outdated maybe, but still u can really sense some wide, interesting enviroments and locations. notice the details on this one also http://www.mobygames.com/images/shot...4234051-00.gif

yes, i know Tales is a new game on its own, with a different techniques, but still Monkey Island always had that immersion and plentyfull of colours and locations but still keeping the simplicity of adventure gaming.

One point more and i ll stop to whine. Even if Sam & Max episodes are probably one of the most important things for adventure genre in years, it seems to me a little dragging to copy the same formula for Monkey Island as well, regarding both the engine look and the episode manner.

Every Monkey Island game had a chapters indeed, but you could or you could not notice them, because they were part of a game as a whole which was already there, and it was just something that adds to the adventure spirit in a movie manner. Its not the same when i have to play knowing in advance that its the episode. Yes, i could wait for the whole season and play it, but its not the same because the game is not intended and planned like this.

Last edited by diego; 06-03-2009 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:39 PM   #58

I've got to say, I find the new in-game footage exceptional. So. Damn. Excited.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:21 PM   #59

This does look pretty bad. Worse than Escape. WAY WAY worse than Curse. Super-worse than the first two. Worse than the Sam and Max. And the gameplay isn't too promising just on account of it being episodes. Keyboard controls? WHY? No one likes them. Grim Fandango was a great game in spite of the keyboard controls. I get less excited the more I see. It looks like a cutscene for an old DOS game. I really hope I get proven wrong and it's worthwhile. But the fact is that this is there only one chance to continue this series, and doing it wrong is far more disappointing than not doing it at all.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:55 PM   #60

I can not wait for this game . In the mean time I will amuse myself with Jack Keane .