You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Tales of Monkey Island coming soon

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2009, 04:36 AM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDream View Post
I mean isn't this one strictly for like 12-15 age group?
No. How did you come to that conclusion??
Especially since you've never played it.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:41 AM   #82

monkey island games were different in that they had a good witty, comical story instead of the terrible jokes or really dry boring storylines of other games.

Guess it's similar the difference between Futurama and the Simpsons*

*sorry, only TV related equiv I could think of off the top of my head.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:53 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midget View Post
monkey island games were different in that they had a good witty, comical story instead of the terrible jokes or really dry boring storylines of other games.

Guess it's similar the difference between Futurama and the Simpsons*

*sorry, only TV related equiv I could think of off the top of my head.
I assume futurama represents monkey island in your comparison.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:00 AM   #84

and besides the jokes, wit and humour all around, there was still some sense of adventure novel going on, underneath the comedy.

not to mention lyrical aspect, music, sketches and everything else
Old 06-06-2009, 06:44 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keregioz View Post
No. How did you come to that conclusion??
Especially since you've never played it.
Well it is a cartoon-style game about pirates. Why would a 20 year old play that? No offense..
Old 06-06-2009, 06:47 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keregioz View Post
I assume futurama represents monkey island in your comparison.
yes, since futurama is considerably more witty and laugh out loud funny than the simpsons, but they're both good to watch.

I'll play a game like Syberia or StillLife which have good storylines, but I wouldn't enjoy it as much as a comedy adventure game like MI which I would play more than once.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:09 AM   #87
Irritant F0rum Beasty

Quote:
I've never played any Monkey Island games but I was wondering what makes them so special among adventure game fans. I mean isn't this one strictly for like 12-15 age group?

Quote:
Well it is a cartoon-style game about pirates. Why would a 20 year old play that? No offense..
If you watch the trailer you might notice Guybrush making a joke about how his wife gets cranky if she's tied up for more than an hour, which I would describe as subtle adult humour. Just because something has a cartoon style to it doesn't necessarily mean it's just aimed at kids. Monkey Island has a broader audience than you seem to assume.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 06-06-2009, 07:19 AM   #88

Quote:

You may say "no offense" but to me it seems pretty clear you are being condescending to MI fans in both of your posts.
I would suggest to first play the game and then come to have a serious discussion why you think it was childish.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:45 AM   #89
Banned User

Quote:
yeah they would. Its like games like heavy rain. Sure adults want to play it, but majority of the fanbase are kids. haha Its a sad truth.

Kids don't want to play something with colors. While adults know what Monkey Island is, and they KNOW where it's coming from, so the fanbase just might be Adults/Young.

There are plenty of games with the cartoon/art style which are target to young adults.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:28 AM   #90
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Even if it really was aimed at children (which it is not, see posts above), why shouldn't adults play it if it's fun? Some might even enjoy reading books or watching movies for children, imagine that!
Old 06-06-2009, 09:30 AM   #91
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuze View Post
Even if it really was aimed at children (which it is not, see posts above), why shouldn't adults play it if it's fun? Some might even enjoy reading books or watching movies for children, imagine that!
Harry Potter called and said hi.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:26 AM   #92

I still watch Arthur sometimes, and that show is for 5-8 year olds.
Of course it's riddled with parody and jokes that probably go over their head and is an awesome show but still, it's definitely a kid show.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:30 AM   #93

Quote:
My answer to that is to try the games and see for yourself, and yes there is some adult humor thrown in there.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:18 PM   #94

Send a message via MSN to bandidoquest

Quote:
That's an ignorant and stupid question. No offense.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:55 PM   #95
Stalker of Britain

Please guys, stop the personal banter against other people's posts being immature, stupid, etc etc. We don't want to insult other members. Consider the issue as moved on.
Currently Playing-Trine 2
Games I Want-Kings Bounty: Warriors of the North!!!, Asylum, Last Crown, Braken Tor, Testament of Sherlock Holmes
Old 06-07-2009, 12:28 AM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Seed View Post
Monkey Island has a broader audience than you seem to assume.
OK, maybe I will try it out then
Old 06-07-2009, 12:52 AM   #97
Lost.

Christmas has come early!!

I can't wait. It looks hilarious, and I'm so glad they got a lot of members who worked on CMI to come back. Dominic Armato seals the deal. And I'm so glad they got back CMI Elaine's VA!

Yeah the graphics look low poly and not much better than MI4 ... but it does look better in motion at least. And I can't complain---it's MONKEY ISLAND!!

As soon as I get some rest, I'm totally buying the remake, too.

Last edited by Vina; 06-07-2009 at 01:13 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 08:47 AM   #98
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vina View Post
... but it does look better in motion at least.
As far as I'm concerned, that's one of Telltale's strongest sides: The animation.
Old 06-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #99
Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist View Post
As far as I'm concerned, that's one of Telltale's strongest sides: The animation.
I definitely agree with you there.

Huh, all this talk about the remake made me think it was already out. Hah, guess not.

But Tales of Monkey Island is offering a crazy awesome preorder deal until July 6th.
+ DVD case painted by Steve Purcell
+ free Telltale episode of your choice
+ access to exclusive MI section on their site
+ all 5 episodes delivered to you monthly
+ $34.95
http://www.telltalegames.com/store/talesofmonkeyisland

To someone like me who's used to paying $50 for AGs, this seems like a great deal.

Last edited by Vina; 06-07-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:32 AM   #100
capsized.

Talking about the simplicity of the models, textures and everything, this might also be a result of the download cap of Wiiware titles: 40 megs, maximum. That ain't a lot, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
Seriously !!

Wasn't that horse flogged enough. Can't we have something original?
I see where you're coming from, especially since Escape already suffered from the Hollywood syndrom of stretching and stretching and stretching original ideas waaay beyond their original intent - some would argue the PR-approved euphemism for this would be the marketing term "franchise". If reviews are to be believed, Terminator4 is its most prominent victim. Who's next?

However, with this, I'm kind of different. As soon as David Grossmann said "Michael Land" in that recent video interview of his, everything was a giant blur. He got me. Damn. Guybrush Threepwood is to adventure gaming what Mario is for platformers. Monkey Island means the same to wannabe pirates what Duke Nukem means to PC gamers everywhere. Well not quite that I reckon. At least not yet. Still Guybrush's the Ying to the Yang. The Alpha to the Omega. And if you dare to disagree I'm gonna take out that fine frying-pan of mine. Beware you Sierra whores.

Now that the news has settled, and I've discovered it a couple days late myself, I must say: Bring this little bugger on! Obviously no matter what Telltale are doing this is never going to live up to all of your rose-tinted memories of digging up Largo LaGrande's daddy's bones or being involved with live-action spitting contests on distant islands or fighting pirates by engaging in a series of Ron Gilbert's Infamous Insult Sword-Fighting™ or... anything, all in either 32 (Amiga) or 256 (IBM PC) colours on tops. But so effin' what? Bring it on.

Now somebody gotta finally explain me how to set up this PayPal thingamabob or I'll have to wait for the inevitable boxed version that will hit German shopdom. Setting up a PayPal account strangely never worked out for me. If fov is reading, I haven't forgotten about you, no matter if you have already about me. One day I'll get this sorted. Promise.

edit:

Quote:
Also, when Gilbert was in doing story brainstorming he didn't reveal the Secret. Or did he??? (He didn't. (Or did he?))
Bitch.