You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Tales of Monkey Island coming soon

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2009, 10:16 PM   #61

Some interesting info:

This is NOT considered MI5 by the creators. It's considered almost like a side story, taking place sometime after whatever MI5 might be. Grossman, the creator, says that a proper MI5 would be a vast 40 hour big budget epic. Even though they have gone through all the proper channels for this, and obviously put in a lot of work, hopefully it's kind of a water tester and Lucasarts is still considering working on a masterpiece for themselves (maybe depending on how this does).
Old 06-04-2009, 12:06 AM   #62
ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNFknRoll View Post
Some interesting info:

This is NOT considered MI5 by the creators. It's considered almost like a side story, taking place sometime after whatever MI5 might be. Grossman, the creator, says that a proper MI5 would be a vast 40 hour big budget epic.

For those who are interested, you can watch a interview with Grossman about this over at gametrailers: http://e3.gamespot.com/video/6210456/

Btw, there are some more gameplay videoes and such at gametrailers.
I think it looks a bit better, than the impression the trailer gave me.

However, design vise, I still think that the characters we see Guybrush interact with, look very dull.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:04 AM   #63

Nice to see more videos TBH Im still finding it still looks horribly kiddie console in its art look.. But I will just hope the story and script is superb and live with it.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:05 AM   #64

Please please please Telltale.. make TOMI more challenging than your other games!!
Old 06-04-2009, 05:46 AM   #65
Banned User

This whole dislike of the art style of the joke. I see more Fanboyism than Reason.
Old 06-04-2009, 06:31 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
This whole dislike of the art style of the joke. I see more Fanboyism than Reason.

I think TTG just chose a very bad screnshot... its look so much better in motion in gameplay videos IMHO.

But yes, far too much fanboyism.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:09 AM   #67

The problem with 3D is that it ages very quickly.

MI3 for instance hasnt really aged, and even MI1-2 are acceptable because you can look past the graphics as they don't look terrible, just blocky.

Now compare to Simon the Sorcerer 3D and Gabriel Knight 3. They're barely playable these days and weren't much better when they were released.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:13 AM   #68
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midget View Post

MI3 for instance hasnt really aged, and even MI1-2 are acceptable because you can look past the graphics as they don't look terrible, just blocky.

Now compare to Simon the Sorcerer 3D and Gabriel Knight 3. They're barely playable these days and weren't much better when they were released.
First of all, Simon the Sorcerer 3d and GK3 never looked good, even for its time.

Honestly I cannot say that I agree based on the games we have seen today. Based on E3 and the last 5 years, there are plenty of games that aged well especially for being 3d.
Old 06-04-2009, 10:20 AM   #69

aw man, just pc an wii?

If i can run sam n max, hope i can run this? Im glad the SE edition of the first game is coming to 360.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:56 AM   #70
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPGCrazied View Post
aw man, just pc an wii?

If i can run sam n max, hope i can run this? Im glad the SE edition of the first game is coming to 360.
Yes of course, but why did you expect it to come out on other consoles? Its Telltale. There is just no point releasing a simple game on consoles made for blood hungry gamers? lol

Don't hold me to that.
Old 06-04-2009, 12:42 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midget View Post

i must take issue with GK3. It is just as playable as ever, to me. The graphics don't really hinder it, the resolutions are pretty good, though they are obviously dated. it's still clear and functional, and the movement system with the camera makes it plenty playable. also the story is just too good to pass up. i really hope people don't overlook it because of the graphics.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:08 PM   #72
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by youfightlikeadairyfarmer View Post
Keyboard controls? WHY? No one likes them.
False.
Old 06-04-2009, 03:13 PM   #73
Banned User

Quote:
i must take issue with GK3. It is just as playable as ever, to me. The graphics don't really hinder it, the resolutions are pretty good, though they are obviously dated. it's still clear and functional, and the movement system with the camera makes it plenty playable. also the story is just too good to pass up. i really hope people don't overlook it because of the graphics.
But the fault is the 3d engine and not gameplay.
Old 06-05-2009, 10:33 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
But the fault is the 3d engine and not gameplay.
but you said it wasn't playable because of it and i'm disagreeing. i think it actually still looks fine, because even though there are few polygons the art direction and design is so strong, along with the engine and gameplay, that it's still engrossing and you don't experience a loss of playability if you're used to games today.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:38 AM   #75
Adventure Dude =]

Everyone knows it's all about the game play that makes a game amazing not graphics.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:25 PM   #76
Banned User

Quote:
but you said it wasn't playable because of it and i'm disagreeing. i think it actually still looks fine, because even though there are few polygons the art direction and design is so strong, along with the engine and gameplay, that it's still engrossing and you don't experience a loss of playability if you're used to games today.

I never said it was unplayable. I just said that its can be really off putting to play a game that looks really bad. It loses the immersion both GK1 and GK2 had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
Everyone knows it's all about the game play that makes a game amazing not graphics.
Actually its the balance of graphics and gameplay that makes a game. Without graphics, its nothing more than pong, which can get old real quick. Also don't confused 2d graphics with polish. If its not mindblowing, at least the visuals will have a sense of polish, which makes the game playable.

Unlike Three Cards to Midnight, which lacked Polish and Visuals.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:49 PM   #77

Well I hope it works out for you guys. Sucks to be a Sierra fan right now, but it's interesting because I would have thought the Monkey Islands games could only work as big spanning epic adventures.

BTW, to the user who says 3D ages badly - I would have agreed in the past, but that gap is quickly closing. It also depends on the aesthetic, I still think Twinsen's Odyssey looks good because of the design.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:30 PM   #78
Game fanatic

Yep. And Wind Waker still looks great 6 years later.

3D has come of age. The 3D that aged badly was to a large extent "early" 3D, or the 3D that used its technical marvel at the time of release to hide its artistic lack of merit. For instance, even if it's very simplistic 3D, I believe Ocarina of Time still looks good (well, "decent") today, whereas a lot of other games with the same technical quality look far worse today.

Whatever the case, I don't think the 3D in itself is the "problem" with Tales of Monkey Island's graphics, rather that it's hard to translate those concept sketches into 3D without doing more 2D tricks like in Wind Waker. I believe Telltale should take the time to polish it up even further before release. Having to move the second episode a couple of weeks back (in order to polish the first episode until it shines) is a lot better than getting a fanbase backlash after the first hits the internets.
Old 06-06-2009, 02:59 AM   #79
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oerhört View Post
3D has come of age. The 3D that aged badly was to a large extent "early" 3D, or the 3D that used its technical marvel at the time of release to hide its artistic lack of merit.
Artistic merit is obviously a rather subjective thing, but yeah, every technology, be it 2d bitmaps or 3d polygons is merely a tool. Think of those as the paint and brush an artist has at its disposal to do whatever he's trying to do. Obviously with more and more advanced tools the sky is the limit - however, that doesn't mean everything needs the poly-count of Crysis. This is were art direction steps in. Whilst something as tailor-made for low-poly 3d models as Grim Fandango still looks sound, low-res textures or no, same year's Half Life makes you chuckle. And not in a very good way.

In the same vein as Grim, 2004's retro homage Darwinia looks fairly cool, even though it's poly count is arguably even lower than that of Half Life's, and there's no textures at all. As a general rule of thumb, the more complex and realistic an artist's visions, the more he has to battle against technical limitations of hardware available. And the more prone to aging his work will be. Wilst the most advanced commercial 3D engines available are slowly approaching something that approaches photo-realism, it's still a long way to go.

Anyway, Telltale now taking over the world or what? Where can I raise my stock and shareholder value?
Old 06-06-2009, 04:20 AM   #80

I've never played any Monkey Island games but I was wondering what makes them so special among adventure game fans. I mean isn't this one strictly for like 12-15 age group?