You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Tales of Monkey Island coming soon

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2009, 05:10 PM   #101

Doesn't anyone remember the ending to MI2? The one with the
Spoiler:
2 kids and Big Whoop Amusement Park?
Or has that been changed somehow?
I remember how many of the fans of the game were totally outraged at that ending on the Gamers Forum at CompuServe, way back then.
Old 06-07-2009, 07:21 PM   #102
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramindy View Post
Spoiler:
I remember how many of the fans of the game were totally outraged at that ending on the Gamers Forum at CompuServe, way back then.
The question was, was he really in
Spoiler:
the realworld at an Amusement Park?
Old 06-08-2009, 12:37 AM   #103

An Adenture game fan that hasn't played Monkey Island? I didn't know such a thing existed.

I wish Id never played them so i could do so for the first time now!
Old 06-08-2009, 02:51 AM   #104

Send a message via MSN to MikeLXXXVIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwapitm View Post
My answer to that is to try the games and see for yourself, and yes there is some adult humor thrown in there.
Well I dont think the person will get the adult humour if their attitude towards the game is like that.

Oh how I love how everything in this world is restricted to certain genders/age/ethnicity. Wow! guys we should all stop playing videogames because its childish! being a child is very negative!

Back to the topic, I think this game looks pretty great after looking more into it. It may not become the pinnacle of the series but it has some good developers behind it.
Old 06-08-2009, 07:32 AM   #105
Game Creator Hobbyist

Quote:
[spoiler removed - you'll want to add spoiler tags to that in your post!]I remember how many of the fans of the game were totally outraged at that ending on the Gamers Forum at CompuServe, way back then.
In my opinion, what's bad with that ending is what it did to the ending of Curse of Monkey Island.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:57 PM   #106
Knights Templar

First Ghostbusters 3 was announced. Then they made new Red Dwarf.
I joked that next thing I knew there would be a new Monkey Island game.

And low and behold, there is. I am truly loving 2009!!! I cannot wait for this game, and am genuinely taking a day off work when it is released..yes, sad I know but what the hell!!!
Old 06-08-2009, 08:53 PM   #107

Quote:
Spoiler:
to me, especially after reading the explanation/speculation about it on the monkey island fansite, that ending is brilliant and pretty mindblowing when you then play back through the first two games thinking about it. that's how it was meant to be from the start, and the clues are there from the very beginning. i remember being so tripped out as a kid when that happened, it was totally unexpected. thinking back, it really ties it together and ties it to real life in a really cool way too, being a lifelong fan of
Spoiler:
the pirates of the caribbean ride
myself..

i'm just dying to know what ron gilbert had in mind for a third game.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:19 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejobloshow View Post
Well I hope it works out for you guys. Sucks to be a Sierra fan right now, but it's interesting because I would have thought the Monkey Islands games could only work as big spanning epic adventures.

BTW, to the user who says 3D ages badly - I would have agreed in the past, but that gap is quickly closing. It also depends on the aesthetic, I still think Twinsen's Odyssey looks good because of the design.
Twinsen's Odyssey looks as dreadful and Lego-like now as it did in the '90s. And I love the game to pieces. If not for the demo back in the day, I never would have bought a game that looked like that.

3D aged badly when we were in the primitive stages of it for the same reason Atari and NES-era 2D has aged poorly but 16-bit and later 2D holds up because it's more artistry than limitations. I think were to the point with 3D now where it's going to age well. You can play Jet Grind Radio or Resident Evil: Code Veronica and they still look pretty good, even.

For those complaining about the look in this game, I think it's just a matter of exposure. Once you play for a little while, you buy into the world, the characters, and the look of the whole thing and you stop constantly comparing it to the old games. The game looks fine for a product targeting Wii and low-end PCs.
Old 07-04-2009, 06:23 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28 View Post
some games are better left alone, especially when the original creator is not involved in making the game
In that case, we wouldn't have Curse of Monkey Island either. Gilbert may only be loosely involved with this, but David Grossman was one of the few to work on all the previous ones (except maybe Escape?) and he's heading up this, and I think he gets it.