You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Tales of Monkey Island coming soon

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2009, 01:08 PM   #21

yes i know what u are applying to but still, when i played monkey 3 i didnt even notice the guy - i mean, wasnt he already there in first and second part?

thats the sign that the role is for him, and i think i m not the only one who thought of what would monkey 1 and 2 sound like with dominic doing voice over.

but, i guess you can still just read subtitles and play like in good old style
Old 06-01-2009, 03:16 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
but the episodic look of new Monkey Island is not exactly what i thought Monkey Island 5 would be
Uhm... but that's how all "Monkey Island"-games worked:

MI1 = 4 chapters
MI2 = 4 chapters
MI3 = 6 chapters
MI4 = 4 chapters

and now

MI5 = 5 chapters

It looks like the waiting time between the chapters will be the only difference this time around... and to fix this, you simply wait until all five chapters are released.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:37 PM   #23
J.H
Frak.

3D looks awful. I wish they'd gone back to 2D like CMI.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:00 PM   #24

I've tried to put my reaction in words, but turns out it's harder to articulate than thought. Here goes: O-M-F-G!

Thanks Telltale.
Old 06-01-2009, 05:00 PM   #25

They've pretty much confirmed in the forums that the episodes will use keyboard controls, like Wallace & Gromit.

Old 06-01-2009, 05:00 PM   #26

Telltale rocks! I think it looks great and sounds great! Bring on the grog!
Old 06-01-2009, 07:29 PM   #27

yyyyyyesssssssssssssss!!!!

My eyes welled up a little upon reading the news. My wife asked me why I was crying. lol, "Woman! It's new a Monkey Island!!! (x2)" Life is good!

I was a Gamestop Store Manager for about 3.5 years. Every year they would send us to a big 3 day Store Manager conference in Las Vegas or Texas. After Lucas Arts' presentation to us each year they would open the floor to questions or allow us to chat with the reps. Each year I faithfully asked... "Any word on a Monkey Island 5?" The first year the rep laughed and told me the genre had died, the next year he responded with a wry smile and said, "Probably not. Psychonauts didn't do very well." (Interesting that they were looking at that titles success as a weathervane to determine whether it would be profitable to jumpstart the adventure genre again.) The final year the rep said "We'll see." Today I am happy to respond... OWNED!!! What a great day to be a babbling, incoherent, froth laden MI fan. Can't believe it's gonna happen!

yyyyyyesssssssssssssss!!!!

Daventry

"The spirit of adventure will never die!"
Old 06-01-2009, 10:32 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by laffer View Post
They've pretty much confirmed in the forums that the episodes will use keyboard controls, like Wallace & Gromit.

oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

why haven't adventure developers learned by now?

Dire Straits graphics don't look good, and mouse controls are clearly better than keyboard. It's like they try to force in change and technology even when it's really going backwards (like, 80s tech backwards).

seriously how do they think this looks good?
http://www.adventuregamers.com/images/db/10143.jpg
http://www.adventuregamers.com/images/db/10148.jpg

it has ZERO atmosphere. the least they could do is add some post processing. it looks like a small diorama of toy props set up in front of a camera. that whole section of "town" looks about 10 yards across.

Compared to these?
http://ui12.gamespot.com/843/full20040105091607_2.gif
http://ui29.gamespot.com/380/full20040105093042_2.gif
http://ui07.gamespot.com/646/full20040105092133_2.gif

these are actual storybook worlds you can get sucked into. they actually have MORE detail and space, almost 20 years earlier. ARGH so frustrating

Last edited by RockNFknRoll; 06-01-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:24 PM   #29

I'm so happy I wet myself a little! My favorite franchise is back!

And...it's all about the story, the puzzles and gameplay -- graphics are definitely in the back-seat for me.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:22 AM   #30
ben

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNFknRoll View Post
oh nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

seriously how do they think this looks good?
http://www.adventuregamers.com/images/db/10143.jpg
http://www.adventuregamers.com/images/db/10148.jpg

Agree, graphic vise, my first impression from the trailer is that it look cheap and lack atmosphere. The environment actually look like a huge step down from Monkey island 4, which to begin with is the game in the series that I think has a lot less atmosphere then the three first. Few people seems to like Monkey 4, so I find it a bit strange that they continue that route, and even deliver more boring art then Monkey 4 had, which was released in 2000.

Unfortunately I will preorder it anyway, since it is Monkey Island, and maybe I will like it, I hope so.

Last edited by [ben]; 06-02-2009 at 12:33 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:27 AM   #31
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
Damn you, Activision Blizzard: LEARN!!!
Well, considering it's the company that also "ate" Vivendi, I wouldn't hold my breath... (You might notice that I don't really have much faith in Vivendi, let alone the even bigger, badder company that takes over it...)

But about the news, at first I wasn't sure how it might work but the trailer convinced me quite well. Not such a fan of the Guybrush model, but I'm sure one'll get used to it very quickly.

I just hope they make a box quickly, I like to get them in one package...
Old 06-02-2009, 01:45 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ben] View Post
The environment actually look like a huge step down from Monkey island 4, which to begin with is the game in the series that I think has a lot less atmosphere then the three first.
i agree

it is also confirmed it will be keyboard controlled. i dont wanna offend telltale for resurrecting the best gaming franchise, but it should be done like the true gamers, adventure gamers want.

so actually, i m pretty much more excited about the monkey island special edition
Old 06-02-2009, 02:02 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by diego View Post
i agree

it is also confirmed it will be keyboard controlled. i dont wanna offend telltale for resurrecting the best gaming franchise, but it should be done like the true gamers, adventure gamers want.

so actually, i m pretty much more excited about the monkey island special edition
i don't think we should be afraid of "insulting" them, as long as it's constructive. they should be afraid of insulting us with a poorly thought out design. the name monkey island is too important to be lazy and irreverent in developing.

i would honestly be more excited about a new MI if it looked exactly like the special edition original graphics. at least those have soul.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:34 AM   #34

As it's going to be released for the consoles as well as the PC I can see the reason for the keyboard control method. I don't agree with it or dumbing down PC games to make them compatible with consoles, but hopefully it will provide enough revenue and sales to show that the comedy adventure game is not dead.

*cherry pop*
Old 06-02-2009, 03:00 AM   #35
More slaw!!!

This, without a doubt, means that the adventure game genre is very, very much alive.
Old 06-02-2009, 03:33 AM   #36

Well, shiver me timbers, this has to be the best adventure gaming news in a long, long time! I have never been a fan of episodic gaming, but this bit of the preview got me very excited indeed:

Quote:
If you’ve played some of Telltale’s other episodic adventures, whether Sam & Max Seasons 1 and 2, Strong Bad’s Cool Game for Attractive People, or Wallace & Gromit’s Grand Adventures, you may think you know what to expect from Tales of Monkey Island, but there are a few major differences that make this a very exciting project. One is that the episodes are not standalone “tales”, as the title might seem to imply, but actually “chapters” in a greater story.
Here's hoping Telltale can pull it of!

And I'm possibly even more excited about the news on the Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition! Brilliant idea to allow players to switch easily between the old and new version! Now if only someone could take a similar approach to the Sierra adventure properties, I'd be in heaven!
Old 06-02-2009, 04:47 AM   #37
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by laffer View Post

The game is going to be direct control in some way, but people are tumbling over each other to declare that we've confirmed that it will be guaranteed keyboard only, or that we'll be copy and pasting the Wallace & Gromit controls source code into the game, when neither of those things is true or confirmed. We haven't talked about the controls much yet simply because they're still being so worked on and iterated on that anything anyone says right now is wrong. (Well, anything other than "it won't be just the Wallace & Gromit controls," which is true. )
Old 06-02-2009, 05:12 AM   #38
Schättenjager

Well all i can say now that weird looking game doesnt look like Lucas Art's Monkey Island we know.
Old 06-02-2009, 06:10 AM   #39

When Curse of Monkey Island came out, people were really upset about the radical change to the graphics and controls. Look how weird Guybrush looks! Where are my beloved verbs? Now we all love it because the game itself was really good. I'm not saying Tales of Monkey Island is next messiah, because it's too early to know either way, but as someone who's actually watched it being played and seen how it comes together, I can say I personally have no worries about the graphics or the controls distracting from the MI-experience. Remember, the team consists of lots and lots of folks, including the artists, who worked on the first 4 games.

Also: My preview is up on the front page if you guys wanna check it out.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:11 AM   #40
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
Well all i can say now that weird looking game doesnt look like Lucas Art's Monkey Island we know.
How come, it looks like the 3d version of Curse of Monkey Island, except Guybrush has....a soul patch.