You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2010, 07:29 AM   #81

Having read through this thread I'm somewhat surprised that everyone seems to think that Syberia 2 completed the journey rather nicely. It didn't. How the hell was Kate supposed to get home? There she is, stuck on an island, with a boat that pretty much navigated itself. Even if she could get it to reverse the journey the train is pointing in the wrong direction. Possibilty of turning it around I suppose but Oscar steadfastly refused to allow Kate any knowledge of how to operate the engine and anyway, part of the line is out. Poor girl is stuck there with only Youki for company, no apparent food, no shelter and it's going to be rather cold. I'd give her about 72 hours before she's frozen to death. Plenty of scope to allow the story to further unfold, albeit with different characters.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:51 AM   #82

Really, Syberia isn't finished until Kate arrives at the home for the elderly and finally passes away.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:29 AM   #83

smulan, I couldn't agree more but I would add, but not before having a very good time. And you can define "very good time" any way you want to. yeah.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:43 AM   #84

Smulan - you miss my point entirely. Should Kate Walker find her way back to NY she may well then lead an entirely normal life. At that point I would definitely agree with all those that say Syberia, as a story line, is complete. Should she go on to do other things worthy of an adventure game then great, but just not under the Syberia title.
Right now though, Syberia, as per the aforementioned story line and my original post, is not complete. It would be a little like Guybrush Threepwood being left to live on Monkey Island.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:47 PM   #85
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabod View Post
Smulan - you miss my point entirely. Should Kate Walker find her way back to NY she may well then lead an entirely normal life. At that point I would definitely agree with all those that say Syberia, as a story line, is complete. Should she go on to do other things worthy of an adventure game then great, but just not under the Syberia title.
Right now though, Syberia, as per the aforementioned story line and my original post, is not complete. It would be a little like Guybrush Threepwood being left to live on Monkey Island.
We still haven't fully discovered syberia. That is the very thing.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:40 AM   #86

Default Disappointed

I joined this forum for only one reason, to express a very deep disappointment that after all this time Syberia 3 can not be finished without having to work with another group of folks on the internet. If that is the case, this is not a single player game.

Microids is really hanging out there by FORCING people to have to play online with with other groups. IF this is the way they set it up THEN DON'T CALL IT A SINGLE PLAYER GAME.

I was really looking forward to this final chapter for several years now, but this dream of Microids to do cross internet multiplayer content due to its issue with SONY is ridiculous.

Apparently investors are just not getting enough money out of games these days and will do anything to sweeten the pot (or their pocket books).

Why couldn't Syberia 3 dynamics stay the same as 1 and 2? Why make it 3D? With the great graphics the game had it was just fine.

I played DreamFall and I still am out on how well 3D added value to the sequal to The Longest Journey 1.

Thanks a lot to all the Finance and Accounting and MBAs out there that always want the BIG GAME. THE BIG MONEY. Maybe they should go and work for CYAN or the like !

My opinon only. Just ranting. But it is a disappointment none the less.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:02 AM   #87

It's a one-year-old April Fools joke. As was mentioned several times in the thread you've just posted in. No need to get angry.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:32 AM   #88
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe View Post
It's a one-year-old April Fools joke. As was mentioned several times in the thread you've just posted in. No need to get angry.
Indeed. Although Syberia 3 is supposedly still coming (I'll believe it when I see it), just not with the details released.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:37 AM   #89

Default Thank you for your reply

I know what you mean. Let me restate what I was trying get at. First, could you "un-confuse" me on that point. I have just been surfing for info on Syberia 3 and, now I may have interpretted it wrong, but the April Fools joke, to me, centered around the fact that Syberia 3 was going to be actually produced, not that there was a PS3-internet connection requirement necessary to actually FINISH the game. I have not seen information on the web yet that specifically states that. In the time line, as I kept track of it, the April Fools joke was debated before the issue of a PS3-PC co-play requirement had surfaced. If you actually know differently could you refer me to the actual information that specifically states that fact. Just asking, I promise not to get mad.

And thanks again.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:44 AM   #90
Super Moderator

No, the PS3 connection was part of the April Fool's press release (which you can still find here).

Everything in that press release is made up except that Syberia 3 is supposedly on its way, but with there being no news of it since, I know I'm not expecting it to ever exist at least.
Old 03-23-2010, 03:20 PM   #91

Default Riiigggghhhhtttt................

I see. Well I am a little happier with the 17 April press release since it is not an "April Fools" day release. (For the life of me I don't see why they just didn't say they fouled up instead of going through the April Fools theatrics). I will hang on the "it is at least coming for the PC", though it sounds like they have not even started on it, unless there is another press release somewhere confirming that they have. Sounds like Microids is playing a game of some sort to get some leverage to produce the PS3 version to me - which I have no problem with. But, whatever. Basically I don't care if there is a PS3 version as long as I can complete the game without having to deal with online group play. Just got to get Kate out of Syberia and back to civilization.

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 03-23-2010, 04:35 PM   #92

I seem to recall reading an interview with Benoit Sokal a few years ago after I finished playing Syberia 1 and 2 (I played them back-to-back as one long game in 2005.) that he was finished with Syberia and wanted to do other things in the future. He wanted his own publishing company, White Birds, I think. I don't know if he owns the rights to Syberia though, or if Microids or somebody else has the rights. I do not expect to ever see a Syberia 3 much as I would also like to have it happen.

Oh well, sometimes I replay Syberia in my head and try different ideas as to what could have happened to Kate.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:07 PM   #93

April Fools' is next week. Been a year since this boisterous news broke. Do you think they will update?
Old 12-21-2010, 11:40 AM   #94

Any more news on Syberia 3 ?

Is Benoît Sokal heavily involved in it?

Will it be a third person point & click like Syberia 1 and 2?

Will you have to connect with other people on the Internet in order to play it through to completion?
Old 12-21-2010, 11:47 AM   #95
Hopeful skeptic

Sokal was never involved, and nobody is actively working on Syberia 3. Microids has been bought out, and though the new company (Anuman) is still making noises about doing something with the property, don't hold your breath waiting.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:50 AM   #96

Ah well, it probably wouldn't have been a patch on the first two anyhow.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:22 PM   #97

Since this thread has resurfaced again today, I will add some new thoughts I have had recently. I think the story is finished if one checks out the main storyline, which is the story of Hans finding the mammoths. Kate's only part is helping Hans to find the great mammoths of his childhood dreams by finding where they live in Syberia. End of story! How Kate manages the rest of her life would be another story, no? I liked Kate Walker, but without Oscar or the train, it would have to be a totally different Kate storyline and maybe not nearly as interesting. The fantasy would have to change to something totally new and I'm thinking it could never be as good. Therefore, I'm happy that it ended where it did and I'm no longer hoping, wishing for Syberia 3.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:53 AM   #98

True, but finding the mammoths was nearly just a red line. All the station with there strange worlds behind them stood mostly on there own. I can see the train riding to the horizon again discovering new worlds with there odd occupants!
And I would still like to see and hear Oscar again!
Old 12-23-2010, 12:56 PM   #99

Hmm, I seem to remember a scene where Oscar was:

Spoiler:
taken apart to give transplants to Hans so he could regain his strength to finish the journey to the mammoths.

But then in a fantasy anything can happen, I reckon.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:32 PM   #100

i just installed syberia again today after the year of its release when i played it for the first time.i was too young then to appreciate the story and just appreciated it for the graphics(mainly background locations) and it's easy going nature.
also after so many years i had forgotten most of it and its kind of nice to be able to enjoy it again like its the first time.

right now im in barrockstadt and just visited the rectors.i really didn't remember them,they really were oddballs(especially considering they are rectors....sort of giving a comedy feel to the game).