You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure How often do you play your favourite adventure games?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-23-2010, 05:42 PM   #1
Customise Turtle

Default How often do you play your favourite adventure games?

Most of us will undoubtedly have a favourite selection of adored adventure games which is no surprise, but what I would like to discuss is; how often do you play your favourite and most treasured adventure games?

Like me, do you try and promise yourself to only play though your favourite game once every so often in an attempt to keep it fresh and not overplayed, thus enhancing the gaming experience.

Or, are you happy to replay your favourite over and over, and could never understand the idea of the experience being anything less than as great as the first time you played it.

A parallel can easily be seen here with things such as Movie’s, music or even your favourite food.

We all enjoy our favourites, but can you have too much of a good thing?
Old 12-23-2010, 07:51 PM   #2

i for example have played Broken Sword 1 a minimum of 10 times.
the first two i just played the game and enjoyed the feel.then i started to look more deeply into the story and try to research things (since templars are one of my favourite subjects) and so on.every time i noticed something new even now i might do it.i don't know maybe it's my attitude towards games....i never really get into a game that much from the beginning even if its an all time favourite in the end.at least in my case it keeps every time i play fresh as you said even though i don't really have worries like that.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:05 AM   #3

For me, this is an evergreen subject. I'm one of those who can watch favourite movie over and over again, without being fed up. The same goes for books and games. Not to mention the music. I never could understand people with "I saw-read-heard-played that one before" attitude. A good piece of music, cinema and read is IMO timeless, and should be something that one can enjoy for many times, instead of just chewing it up once and then spitting out. Of course, that nothing can be compared to the thrill of the first time. But, on the other hand, the second time is often far more revealing and rewarding experience. And every further consumation is like with a good wine: it gets better with age.

Back to the original topic. I've replayed my favourite adventure and other games several times so far, but I tend (especially with adventures) to make very long pauses between the replays. I think this is a key factor of enjoyment when replaying a game. The same goes with film and literature. With music, for me, at least, things are a bit different.
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III
Old 12-24-2010, 03:14 AM   #4

i know what you mean i'm the same..........i'm fairly easy with movies and i tend to like almost everything so i can watch anything at least a second time.well except the dragonball film that came out last year i think which was the utter description of badness.maybe if it wasn't a reference to a manga it'd have been ok as another american movie with teenagers and powers but since it is it failed across the border.same with music,whenever i hear something that clicks i put it in a player and push repeat....i'll end up listening to it 20-30 times before i decide it's time to put something else in the playlist without that meaning i won't listen to it on repeat again.

as far as the matter at hand is concerned,i tend to play whenever i feel like it.sometimes it doesn't have to be that long an interval between a replay....it might be a couple of months for example.
Old 12-24-2010, 04:08 AM   #5

I replay Shadow of the Comet every year or so and always find something new. The level of detail is wonderful. And the atmosphere. And the story. I don't actually see a reason for not to replay a good adventure game.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:46 AM   #6
She Wants Revenge

I take my time before replaying usually. When I finish a really good game I often feel like playing it again right away, but usually I get interested in something else and wait a while. Then after waiting a while I feel that I better wait a little bit more so I remember less. So finally that "while" turns into years. And that's okay, I enjoy the unraveling of things the most and while some replays give you more when you know where to look for new things, I would still like to wipe my mind clean of the best games so I could experience them again "the first time".

The games I've played the most are GK1, Discworld Noir, SamnMax - Hit the Road and DoTT. These are the only games I've played more than twice. If I play something twice it is already a compliment though. My free time is very limited so I mostly try to use it catching up all the great titles I have missed instead of crawling through games I remember perfectly.

I have planned some replays: another Discworld Noir, Gray Matter and Culpa Innata (and Broken Sword 1&2 as prologue to play the 3rd I haven't finished), probably Memento Mori too. I will definitely replay TLJ and Dreamfall when the Dreamfall Chapters begin.

« Syberia 3 | Zork »