You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2009, 04:52 AM   #41

I wonder what Benoît Sokal has to say about all this? Wasn't he a big contributor to the originals? Wikipedia has him as having 'conceived' the idea, but Catherine Peyrot wrote the script. Would his lack of involvement to the third game effect anyone's expectations?

Last edited by Terramax; 04-12-2009 at 04:58 AM.
Old 04-12-2009, 05:03 AM   #42

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Sincerely? No.

As I stated elsewhere (too lazy to find the thread), Sokal is a great artist and good "creator" (of worlds, characters, concepts, etc.), but as a writer he isn't spectacular.

So - since Syberia already has his touch (setting, characters, etc) - if Microids find a good writer we could end up with a great game, more accomplished than the second one (where the writing wasn't so good).
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 04-12-2009, 06:38 PM   #43

So...what's the final verdict then? Was the announcement 100% fake? I didn't care until the other day when I picked up Syberia I & II
Old 04-13-2009, 01:36 AM   #44

Hmm... I just saw this
Quote:
# Turns out the April 1 announcement of Syberia 3 was not a joke, but the details were. Ahoy running back and forth endlessly!26 minutes ago from web
at the BrassLantern twitter page, though no more info or source is available.. Let's hope we have some more news soon..
Old 04-13-2009, 01:46 AM   #45

It'd be fantastic if it were real. I just hope they don't make it 3D.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:02 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by orient View Post
So...what's the final verdict then? Was the announcement 100% fake? I didn't care until the other day when I picked up Syberia I & II
Microids will make an official announcement this week. So we have to wait.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 04-13-2009, 03:06 AM   #47

I think the most important is not the announcement itself, but the 'scenario' of the new game. The story is totally wrapped up in Syberia II. If they make a Syberia III by stretching (probably unsuccesfully) the story most fans of the first two games will reject it. It would be better to have a title with another adventure of Kate Walker than Syberia III.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:11 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekaneas297 View Post
I think the most important is not the announcement itself, but the 'scenario' of the new game. The story is totally wrapped up in Syberia II. If they make a Syberia III by stretching (probably unsuccesfully) the story most fans of the first two games will reject it. It would be better to have a title with another adventure of Kate Walker than Syberia III.
Actually if I remember correctly Benoit Sokal said in one of his interviews that he doubts that there will be Syberia 3 but the adventures of Kate Walker is most definitely not over.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:06 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor13 View Post
Hmm... I just saw this

at the BrassLantern twitter page, though no more info or source is available.. Let's hope we have some more news soon..
This is getting confusing and exuberant!
Agree that Kate should have a new adventure. Syberia is done.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:04 AM   #50

Yes, it's really real (on the PC at least, maybe also the PS3):

http://www.microids.com/fr/presse/31...syberia-3.html

And the Google translation of that French page:

http://translate.google.com/translat...istory_state0=

Good news eh?
Old 04-17-2009, 06:11 AM   #51

I would actually preferred a more consistent news about Syberia III on PC that all the ranting about Sony, but it is a good news indeed (if it is really official - I'm still not holding my breath ).

Old 04-17-2009, 06:21 AM   #52

I wonder why they tainted the news of a possible Syberia 3 with a lamer-than-lame April Fool's joke that wasn't the least bit funny. Now I'm starting to question any sensibilities they might have in regards to a 3rd game in a series that for all intents and purposes had wrapped up in a nice conclusion.
Old 04-17-2009, 06:33 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irongiant909 View Post
And the Google translation of that French page:

http://translate.google.com/translat...istory_state0=
The translation has some strange phrases
Quote:
It will come on PC for sure, however, on PS3, this could actually turn into fish in April, because Sony is only decision-maker on this point, as curious as it may seem to some.
Turn into fish?

Quote:
Benoît Sokal, the author of Syberia and Syberia 2, has several times mentioned in the press that it would participate in a series of his most important work if we gave him the financial means to design and implement a security exception.
Security exception?
Perhaps the strangest thing is why they want to work with Sony at all.
Why not make the game for the Wii, which is already home to a few other adventure games? It's more apt to find an audience on the Wii.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:46 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazmajik View Post
Now I'm starting to question any sensibilities they might have in regards to a 3rd game in a series that for all intents and purposes had wrapped up in a nice conclusion.
I agree: the second part of Syberia (I still tend to consider them a whole game split in two) wrapped up a wonderful conclusion to the Hans Voralberg's quest. But - as Sokal himself once stated - this doesn't mean that Kate Walker won't ever have another adventure...

Quote:
Will Kate Walker’s journey end with the conclusion of Syberia II or can we look forward to another sequel?

One thing is sure, there won’t be a Syberia III. Kate & Hans, through mystical and enchanting lands, shall find their way to the mythical Syberia, land of the forgotten mammoths. Will they succeed? Let’s discover together…

But it doesn’t mean Kate Walker’s adventures are over…

... Now, in the light of this knowledge, I'd be happy to see a new game (I understand that they want to keep the name Syberia for marketing reasons) following Kate Walker in another adventure, maybe even in the Sahara Desert (even if, in that case, the name Syberia starts to be utterly inappropriate) - the wisest choice, for me, would be keep Kate Walker and rename the adventure, because - if there's one thing that I'm sure of - if they make another game set in Siberia, or if they simply choose to narrate Kate Walker's journey back to New York, I'd be extremely disappointed.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:15 AM   #55
Chicken with a bite

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabapple View Post
The translation has some strange phrases

Turn into fish?

The French expression for April fools translates as April fish
And security exception should be something like "surely exceptional".
Old 04-17-2009, 08:36 AM   #56

I have never seen such lame game announcement before. It must be put in the Guiness records for sure. No news, no story, no release date not anything. And the best thing: An appeal??? Give me a break...

But I still emphasize to the story. If they keep the title 'Syberia' and narrate anything that has to do with Valadilene, Volarberg an mammoths, it's a sure failure.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:38 AM   #57
The Quiet One

Meh. I can't see this working at all. As plenty of people have said already, the story to Syberia has been wrapped up in the second one. I can't see where the hell they could go with this. I can see this being a flop. I was skeptical about Still Life 2 and it seems i was right to be considering all the negative things i've read about it. I reckon this will be no different.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 04-17-2009, 09:50 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
Meh. I can't see this working at all. As plenty of people have said already, the story to Syberia has been wrapped up in the second one.
Sure, but maybe this title will be another Kate Walker's adventure. Maybe, once she returned to New York, she find another story to follow, another dream to realize...

... I dunno. I'm just trying to stay positive

Old 04-17-2009, 09:54 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
Sure, but maybe this title will be another Kate Walker's adventure. Maybe, once she returned to New York, she find another story to follow, another dream to realize...

... I dunno. I'm just trying to stay positive
It's a refreshing change from all the negativity around here, especially bearing in mind that the game hasn't even been made yet!
Old 04-17-2009, 10:11 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irongiant909 View Post
It's a refreshing change from all the negativity around here, especially bearing in mind that the game hasn't even been made yet!
Well, don't mistake me: I'm as concerned as the other people; I'm strongly convinced that Microids could do nothing worse to promote the game than disguising it as an April's Fool joke; I highly doubt that the plea to Sony will ever be successful and, thus, I'm pretty sure that we'll end up with a low-budged version...

... In fact, I'm trying really, really hard to stay positive. But we have to admit that - aside from being an avid Syberia's fan myself - there's very little, here, to be positive about