You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2009, 10:26 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloDiablo View Post
The French expression for April fools translates as April fish
And security exception should be something like "surely exceptional".
Thanks. That makes much better sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
Meh. I can't see this working at all. As plenty of people have said already, the story to Syberia has been wrapped up in the second one. I can't see where the hell they could go with this. I can see this being a flop.
I don't think that a followup to Syberia would automatically be a failure. Kate wouldn't necessarily have to go back to the places she's already visited, but she could visit places that weren't in the first two Syberia games, but which are similarly "not part of the modern world." Of course she would need a different goal. The part of the story about helping Hans follow his dreams is ended. But I think the 3rd Syberia should try to maintain some of the atmosphere and mystery of the first two games.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:29 AM   #62

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabapple View Post
The part of the story about helping Hans follow his dreams is ended. But I think the 3rd Syberia should try to maintain some of the atmosphere and mystery of the first two games.
If it would totally be up to me, on the contrary I'd go for a total revamp: I'll retain Kate Walker and the general atmosphere, but I'd shift the focus and the setting - for example, I think I would like seeing Kate back in New York, maybe dealing with her ex-boyfriend and her ex-best friend and maybe, then, she can take off and travel to some other place, more keen to the melancholic atmosphere of the first two chapters.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 04-17-2009, 11:42 AM   #63

Excellent news! Time to change the title of this thread
Old 04-17-2009, 01:21 PM   #64
Banned User

Great news, but sad to hear Sony acting like little Douches to Indie Developers that don't produce Kill Em' All shooters.

I say, just stick with the PC and port to 360 & Wii. Its cheaper, and the audience is much larger.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:32 PM   #65

Don't want to sound sonyfanboy, but thats one side of story there alre always two of them.
Wonder whats real story considering sony have been really helpful for indies. Maybe its too generic crap adventure gamecompanies are making these days like stilllife sequel.
Old 04-17-2009, 01:38 PM   #66

Why can't they stick with Xbox?
Old 04-17-2009, 05:24 PM   #67
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomadsoul View Post
Don't want to sound sonyfanboy, but thats one side of story there alre always two of them.
Wonder whats real story considering sony have been really helpful for indies. Maybe its too generic crap adventure gamecompanies are making these days like stilllife sequel.
Really? I haven't seen as many indie games as XN. Elaborate? I don't disagree, I just say, Sony is picky. Not to mention that the PS3 SDK is quite different. You have to rewrite your program to get it to work, and thats a severe blow to indie developers.

XNA is just as easy as porting to the iPhone (despite the platform barrier). I have to say Microsoft caters to the Indie's more than Sony, and there is more than enough proof.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:28 PM   #68
The Quiet One

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
Sure, but maybe this title will be another Kate Walker's adventure. Maybe, once she returned to New York, she find another story to follow, another dream to realize...

... I dunno. I'm just trying to stay positive
Yeah, maybe. But if Kate journeys back to New York and gets another story to follow, that's completely unrelated to Syberia itself, then the title's going to be misleading. * The journey to Syberia with Hans, to see the mammoths, was the whole point of the first two games and that, to me, is over.
Sorry for being the pessimistic one but I'm not convinced a third one will have much to do with Syberia. Sure they could come up with some new secret/mystery connected to the place, but the whole point to Syberia were only the mammoths. Anything else will probably just feel tacked on for the sake of it and may not feel right.

We'll just have to wait and see anyway. My pessimism boils down to the fact that i'm not a fan of sequels/prequels etc. And that definitely applies when it comes to films. A lot of them are disappointing, or don't manage to live up to expectations or they start to get silly with each one.

* It'll be pretty tedious/knackering for Kate if she journeys all the way back to New York, gets a new story to follow up involving Syberia, and has to travel all the way back again.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 04-17-2009, 09:44 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by kadji-kun View Post
Really? I haven't seen as many indie games as XN. Elaborate? I don't disagree, I just say, Sony is picky. Not to mention that the PS3 SDK is quite different. You have to rewrite your program to get it to work, and thats a severe blow to indie developers.

XNA is just as easy as porting to the iPhone (despite the platform barrier). I have to say Microsoft caters to the Indie's more than Sony, and there is more than enough proof.

Flower company was funded by santa monica, and now its engine which is one of best called phyre engine is now going public for indies to make highstandard #d games. Check GDC oPhyre video.

Pain , outstanding game, now words total fun.

Pixel junk games , again best of best.

Other great titles
Echochrome, cuboid, Trash(gomibako), SoldnerX(my fav),Crashcommando etc.

Other than that what i like best about Sony stance on PSN is that they are actually promoting/funding/encouraging total art games like Linger in shadows and well Flower.

Upcoming greatness includes Trine and Fatprincess, its more than what XBL could ever do. Infact other than braid and castle crashers there is nothing XBL offers on indie ground that is worthy of attention.

Play these games i highly recommend and these will prove your notion wrong.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:43 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
Sure they could come up with some new secret/mystery connected to the place, but the whole point to Syberia were only the mammoths. Anything else will probably just feel tacked on for the sake of it and may not feel right.
This is why I'm in favor of changing setting and title alike, and just retain Kate Walker as the protagonist and the main theme as the core for the new game.

The theme of Syberia was the end of the old, pre-contemporary world and the melancholy toward the loss of innocence/purity typical of this world as opposed to the market, corporate logic of the new contemporary economy: Kate Walker must buy, for her agency, an old toy factory, because no one wants these old toys anymore. That was the beginning of the game and Hans' dream of Siberia and the mammoths is basically a metaphor, a dream of evasion from a grim, uninspired world toward the consoling memory/fantasy of a mythical past. This is a universal theme, a theme that can be conveyed even through other settings, atmospheres and so on.

Our very Kurufinwe, in his review of Paradise, summed up Sokal's opus with this striking paragraph:

Quote:
Amerzone gave the impression that there would always be fantastic lands to explore, their beauty sheltered from the outside world, their secrets forever passed from one explorer to the next. But that was only an illusion. In Syberia, that dream of free, enchanted worlds had started to fade, and Kate only barely managed to catch a sad, last glimpse of it, never to recur. In the deceivingly-named Paradise, Ann comes too late, after everything has been tainted, and nightmares are all there is left to explore
That's saying that the the dream of innocence, grace and purity that sustained Hans Voralberg was forbidden to Kate Walker, because it was basically a dream of death: Hans goes away with the mammoths, toward his end and with him, also the dream finishes. Now, Kate Walker, like Ann of Paradise, is stuck with the stained, contemporary world we all know, where dreams are impossible and the fantasy hampered.

If a Syberia 3 would cope with this kind of atmosphere/theme, I'd be happy. And I'd be happy, for example, to see - through the game - Kate Walker trying to achieve her dream of innocence, and maybe, thus, her death.

Anyway, I'm just speculating over a severe lack of information from the developers It's too early, maybe, to discuss the game without even knowing where it will take place
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:08 AM   #71

How's this for a premise:

Kate, while walking across the frozen tundra, slips and falls through the snow and ends up embedded in ice for 500 years. After she thaws out and awakes, she finds the land crawling with wooly cyber-mammoths and cyber-toothed tigers from an alternate reality. She also discovers the scattered parts of a humanoid automaton that she calls B-4 Oscar, and her first task is to get him up and running, literally, as they are soon chased by Ivan and Igor the 12th who are now in cahoots with a malevolent ruling entity called The Empire. Just as all seems hopeless, Kate and B-4 Oscar encounter a whimsical little automaton who communicates with beeps and boops and flashing lights (and turns out to be the descendant of Kate's ancient cellular telephone) whom they call S3-E3 or something, who leads them all to Youkol City to meet the Wizard of Youk. After a little side-quest involving some cyber-penguins, a wind-up waterfall, an ice volcano and an all-powerful yet eternally corrupting Ring, they end up before the Wizard, who has proclaimed Kate to be the fulfillment of an ancient Youkol prophecy where she and her ruby slippers will smash The Empire and lead the Youkol people out of spiritual bondage to glorious free-ice-cream-forever triumph.

The above is what you would find behind a closed door, but when you try to get Kate to open it, she says:
"No need to go down there!"
Old 04-19-2009, 10:36 AM   #72

It would be great! I'm quite sure to have heard of something similar before, but I think it could work

Old 04-19-2009, 11:26 AM   #73

Oh, I forgot to mention, the above premise of a game would only be available on the Atari 2600, in a crate of several hundred cartridges to be swapped repeatedly.
Old 04-21-2009, 10:29 AM   #74

Thanks, but already mentioned by me in message #50 on the previous page. It's only the PS3 version under threat.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:00 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irongiant909 View Post
Thanks, but already mentioned by me in message #50 on the previous page. It's only the PS3 version under threat.
Whoops, very well, deleted the message.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:42 PM   #76

Is Sokal going to be involved with this at all?
This statement has me a little confued:
"Benoît Sokal mentioned in the press a number of times that he would only participate in a Syberia sequel if there was sufficient financial means to design and develop it properly. In 2009 Microïds decided to invest in the Syberia francise. Microïds have also asked that fans of Syberia send them emails of support for the game."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syberia_II

I know he is not part of Microids anymore that's all so I suppose he wouldn't be involved?
Old 04-23-2009, 02:25 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vogon Poet View Post
I know he is not part of Microids anymore that's all so I suppose he wouldn't be involved?
At the present time, we only know that you already stated. My personal opinion, though, is that he won't be involved, being already occupied with his White Birds

Glad to be proven wrong, though.

Old 01-08-2010, 05:49 PM   #78
Fulci lives

Was Syberia 3 just a april fools joke, or not?
I was reading the swedish PC Gamer and they claim that Syberia 3 is coming out some time in the next 6 months.
Old 01-08-2010, 08:59 PM   #79
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamham Chan View Post
Was Syberia 3 just a april fools joke, or not?
I was reading the swedish PC Gamer and they claim that Syberia 3 is coming out some time in the next 6 months.
Read the whole thread and you will discover that it wasn't a joke.
Old 01-10-2010, 12:34 AM   #80

When I've first read about the possibility of the sequel to Syberia I & II, I was happy at first, but the more I think about it, I'm finding the less and less point in the whole affair. IMO, the story was so beautifully rounded-up in the released games and, frankly, I can't think a better and more emotional ending.

Someone in this thread mentioned that it would be interesting to continue the story of Kate Walker herself, possibly in her return to New York. Even if this would be somewhat logical, Kate Walker's past and future life back in the civilization, isn't something that interest me. IMO, Kate is not the main character in Syberia games; she is mearly a vehicle for the player to dwelve into the world of Syberia.

This whole thing reminds me on the Terminator saga; the first two movies are alpha and omega of the story, and storywise and from the artistic point of view, the "sequels" of the the duology weren't necessary at all. I believe that Cameron himself said something like that in some interview. I believe that one could apply that also on Syberia.
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III