Thread: Syberia 3
View Single Post
Old 04-18-2009, 02:43 AM   #70
AndreaDraco83

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alucard View Post
Sure they could come up with some new secret/mystery connected to the place, but the whole point to Syberia were only the mammoths. Anything else will probably just feel tacked on for the sake of it and may not feel right.
This is why I'm in favor of changing setting and title alike, and just retain Kate Walker as the protagonist and the main theme as the core for the new game.

The theme of Syberia was the end of the old, pre-contemporary world and the melancholy toward the loss of innocence/purity typical of this world as opposed to the market, corporate logic of the new contemporary economy: Kate Walker must buy, for her agency, an old toy factory, because no one wants these old toys anymore. That was the beginning of the game and Hans' dream of Siberia and the mammoths is basically a metaphor, a dream of evasion from a grim, uninspired world toward the consoling memory/fantasy of a mythical past. This is a universal theme, a theme that can be conveyed even through other settings, atmospheres and so on.

Our very Kurufinwe, in his review of Paradise, summed up Sokal's opus with this striking paragraph:

Quote:
Amerzone gave the impression that there would always be fantastic lands to explore, their beauty sheltered from the outside world, their secrets forever passed from one explorer to the next. But that was only an illusion. In Syberia, that dream of free, enchanted worlds had started to fade, and Kate only barely managed to catch a sad, last glimpse of it, never to recur. In the deceivingly-named Paradise, Ann comes too late, after everything has been tainted, and nightmares are all there is left to explore
That's saying that the the dream of innocence, grace and purity that sustained Hans Voralberg was forbidden to Kate Walker, because it was basically a dream of death: Hans goes away with the mammoths, toward his end and with him, also the dream finishes. Now, Kate Walker, like Ann of Paradise, is stuck with the stained, contemporary world we all know, where dreams are impossible and the fantasy hampered.

If a Syberia 3 would cope with this kind of atmosphere/theme, I'd be happy. And I'd be happy, for example, to see - through the game - Kate Walker trying to achieve her dream of innocence, and maybe, thus, her death.

Anyway, I'm just speculating over a severe lack of information from the developers It's too early, maybe, to discuss the game without even knowing where it will take place
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box