You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure A Vampyre Story Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2008, 04:55 PM   #201
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue View Post
There are absolutely no jokes that haven't been told before.
The gargoyle in the game was of a different opinion. And he has read dozens of tomes on comedy, so I think I'll trust him on this one.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:05 PM   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascovel View Post
The gargoyle in the game was of a different opinion. And he has read dozens of tomes on comedy, so I think I'll trust him on this one.
You're contradicting yourself. He's read tomes on comedy... hence they're already been done. If they were completely new, he'd come up with his own jokes and not read someone elses jokes.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:17 PM   #203
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

I think the guy said that from what he read he came to the conclusion that his jokes can be easily fresh (if he so desires).
Old 11-30-2008, 05:24 PM   #204

Ah, yes that may be true. Could be a jab against those who thinks completely new jokes is even possible.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:57 AM   #205
Monkey Island Fan

Hi everyone,

Playing through AVS and have just entered the first town. Quite enjoyable so far.

Am still a little bit unsure about this game as a whole.. the 2D art is great, but everything else isn't of the same high standard.

The puzzles have been mixed so far, and at a couple of times in the castle I was at a loss what to do next. Also did anyone else have trouble with the fizzy drink potions?
Old 12-20-2008, 03:43 AM   #206
Under pressure.

I'm totally loving this game as well. I even like Mona's voice, although I have to admit it took a while to get used to. The atmosphere is excellent, thanks to Tiller's beautiful artwork and eye for detail.

The white pixels around the edge of the screen are a bit annoying, though. Especially when they're jittering. And I wish the 3D models were a bit more detailed. Mona's shoulders look awful up-close.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:49 AM   #207

Default Hmmm

I really don't know why anyone would have a problem with this game. I just finished it and I think it was funny as hell. I really liked the fact that alot of the jokes catch me completely off gaurd. (Nearly fell out of my chair when I read the book by Leroy Jenkins! Ha Ha.) The only issue I have is that the story isn't complete. Have to wait for chapter 2 to come out in order to find out what happens next. As for everything else, the art was gorgious, the puzzles were challenging, and the voices truely fit the characters. As for the story itself, I have no words that could possibly describe just how great the story has been thus far. I truely hope that Autumn Moon and Crimson Cow get on the ball and finish the rest of the game. I hate "To Be Continued" anything.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:33 PM   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
(Nearly fell out of my chair when I read the book by Leroy Jenkins! Ha Ha.)
And this is exactly why I don't like this game. Video game in-jokes are tiresome. They're even worse when they're based off of horrible internet memes. That just reeks of creative bankruptcy.

I mostly agree with the AG review of the game, though I think the fact that it the story is "to be continued" should be a serious mark against any game at this point. Remember what happened with Dreamfall? Yeah. I doubt if we'll ever see the end of this.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:22 PM   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thello View Post
And this is exactly why I don't like this game. Video game in-jokes are tiresome. They're even worse when they're based off of horrible internet memes. That just reeks of creative bankruptcy.
I think you might have to lighten up a little on this one. Even the X-mas game made by this site even cracked jokes by other games. It's really the timing of the joke that really makes it funny, not necisarily the content. Anybody can make a bad joke good or a good joke bad due to the timing. I mainly thought this was funny because I didn't expect it. I do have to admit that my idea of funny in adventure games has become waned due to lack new and fresh comedic games available, but I still think it would take more than another go round before I could say that this type of humor would no longer make me giggle. It's by far an awsome game and I would recomend it to anyone.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:24 PM   #210
Roar?

I'm halfway through this game now. I reaaallly want to like it, but I'm finding it tiresome and slow. The dialog is especially irritating me, every "examine object" command does not need to be met with a corny quip. My eyes hurt from rolling them so often. I'm going to have to take a few days break so I don't give up on the game altogether.

I do love the atmosphere, graphics, and sound. The music is gorgeous in places.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:46 PM   #211

Played the demo... didn't even enjoy the graphics. There's something cheap about how the foreground moves against the background. I just looks like a cheap cardboard cutout.

I was expecting more from the dialog too. I too didn't laugh once. That bat tries his best, but some of the cut-scenes are really undynamic. Such as when that ghoul nicks the 3 tombs or whatever at the end of the demo. It just feels like such a cheap cliche that you're about to get somewhere and then the baddie just takes what you want and runs off.

It didn't feel as if the puzzles were well intergrated with the story.

But then again, you don't really get to speak to anyone in the demo. Can anyone confirm if the dialog is better in the final version?
Old 12-30-2008, 01:36 AM   #212
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax View Post
But then again, you don't really get to speak to anyone in the demo. Can anyone confirm if the dialog is better in the final version?
You can have a conversation with Froderick in the demo. It's a good representation of what the dialogues are like in the full game.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:23 PM   #213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thello View Post
That's fantastic!

If you can write off a game via a throwaway joke that's only accessed by examining a book spine at the bottom of a reasonably lengthy shelving system that you aren't even required to click...

Endless popular culture references can be tiresome, but little easter eggs like this aren't worth your frustration, surely. It's not like it was a key plot point.

At any rate, reeking of creative bankruptcy seems like something of an exaggeration.

It's also sort of been a hallmark of the comic adventure game, what with fine leather jackets, fighting like cows and tunnels that open onto a system of catacombs. And what was with that Max fella popping up all over the place?
Old 01-02-2009, 04:53 AM   #214

That's all?! Only 1 chapter?
That is really disappointing.

Nice game, interesting, good graphics, funny dialogs in some places, too bad it's so short
Old 01-04-2009, 08:30 AM   #215
Desperate Housewife

Did anyone resort to using a walkthrough to complete A Vampyre Story? I was doing fine but have hit some really difficult quests and I'm still in the castle!!! Just wandered if anyone else got stuck and had to 'cheat' or whether I'm just really rubbish at it! Many thanks
Old 01-04-2009, 10:57 AM   #216

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83
Default Life is strange sometimes

Yes, life is strange sometimes. Everyone on this forum, everyone on the other boards I hang out at, everyone even in the outside life, from my boyfriend to the last of my friends, knows that (1) I'm a Sierra guy, (2) I prefer dramatic games with grim, mature storyline, (3) I dislike too much cartoonish graphics...

... everyone except a cousin of mine, a distant cousin I may add, who today gifted me, a bit late for Christmas, A Vampyre Story

I just played for a bare two or three hours and all I can say about this game is that the background are really beautiful. In all the other regards, I'm hugely uninterested but I wanted to give you my two cents about voice acting: I found Mona's voice dreadful and Froderick the Bat (sigh) even worse!

Now I just have to wait a couple of days, and then eBay will see a new copy of AVS!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 01-04-2009, 11:40 AM   #217
Headbanger

I've been playing for a few days now and I really like it so far. Games like these don't come often.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:53 PM   #218
Under pressure.

Ah, the game's on UHS now. Finally. I hate using standard walkthroughs.
Old 01-04-2009, 05:56 PM   #219
Dread Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br View Post
Same here. Somehow it feels less like "cheating" if I just use UHS to give me a nudge in the right direction.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:33 AM   #220
Desperate Housewife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br View Post
Can you give me a link please?