You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure A Vampyre Story Discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2008, 07:57 PM   #1

Default A Vampyre Story Discussion

A bilingual demo (english and german) was just released this evening, so if you want to try it out.....follow the link!!
Old 11-17-2008, 02:12 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Link followed, demo downloaded and installed, game played for about forty-five minutes, demo uninstalled due to boredom. I'm glad that they released it - now I perfectly know that this isn't the game for me!
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 11-17-2008, 03:39 AM   #3
The Quiet One

Oh good, a demo!

Currently downloading now, but the transfer rate isn't particularly good so i could be waiting a little while.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 11-17-2008, 04:47 AM   #4
Freeware Co-ordinator

Radott. I moved your query to the Help forum. Hopefully someone will be able to solve your problem.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 11-17-2008, 05:06 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaDraco83 View Post
Link followed, demo downloaded and installed, game played for about forty-five minutes, demo uninstalled due to boredom. I'm glad that they released it - now I perfectly know that this isn't the game for me!
Why did it take you so long?
I thought the puzzle was a bit convoluted and some of the jokes fell flat, but apart from that I liked it.

I just find it interesting what some people consider boring and others fun. For me A Vampyre Story seems to be the most fun adventure since.....well Edna Bricht Aus, so since a few months.
Just played through Blackstone Chronicles which I thought was pretty boring so I fighted my way through it with a walkthrough. I think other people find it more intriguing.

It's easier for me to understand when people hate or love something than when they consider something to be boring or fun.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:26 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to AndreaDraco83

Ozzie, I'm not much for light-hearted, comedic adventure games. This kind of humor simply falls flat to me. I didn't laugh a single time.
Top Ten Adventures: Gabriel Knight Series, King's Quest VI, Conquests of the Longbow, Quest for Glory II, Police Quest III, Gold Rush!, Leisure Suit Larry III, Under a Killing Moon, Conquests of Camelot, Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist.

Now Playing: Neverwinter Nights, Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box
Old 11-17-2008, 05:31 AM   #7
Headbanger

That sure was a short demo. The graphics and animations are great but the voice acting wasn't really to my liking. The humour varies between flat boring and pretty funny. The puzzles wasn't exactly mindblowing and I don't really know what to make of the story although the horror-theme is fun.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:34 AM   #8

Well, I only laughed a single time, but still, overall it was quite amusing.
I can't remember laughing while playing Monkey Island either, it wasn't laugh out funny, imo, but also more constantly amusing.

Well, I take it that it also failed to amuse you.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:00 AM   #9

I can see it been more funnier when the full game is here but overall I thought it was okay kinda reminded me of the CMI demo. Besides it was only a demo so they'll not want to spoil the best jokes and leave them for later.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:52 AM   #10

On the one hand, I'm glad to see a demo being released. It means the game is pretty much a wrap. On the other hand, the reception that it's getting right out of the box doesn't sell me one way or the other.

I don't think I'm even going to bother with the demo, but I'm more than likely going to purchase the game when it's available to do so. Maybe first I'll wait for the official AG review, though.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:19 AM   #11
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke View Post
The graphics and animations are great but the voice acting wasn't really to my liking.
Very weird. It's been a few weeks (which for my memory is an eternity), but I'd swear that's not the same voice for Mona I heard when shown a preview of the full game recently. I'm wondering if (and hoping) the North American version overhauled some of the voiceovers.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:40 AM   #12

I really hope Mona's voice in the demo is not the one in the North American release. I assume she is supposed to have a French accent, but it sounded more like she had a speech impediment. It annoyed me so much that I found myself rushing through the demo to get it over with, so I don't think I can give a proper opinion on the gameplay--I was wincing too much. Maybe I will go back and play it with the sound off. I was really looking forward to this game so this omnipresent annoyance hit me like a ton of bricks. Hopefully, if it is in the final release, the voice is just something I will get used to.

I got the sense Mona was a rather ditzy girl before she was turned into a vampire, and I think watching her prove her mettle would be rather endearing...without that grating voice...
Old 11-17-2008, 09:47 AM   #13
Hopeful skeptic

I'm checking on the voice thing with the publisher, so I'll report back one way or the other.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:05 AM   #14
Lost.

Am I the only one running into a fair amount of glitches in the demo? Maybe it's just my computer...
Old 11-17-2008, 10:40 AM   #15

Well, I had some clipping problems where Mona walked through certain objects...
Old 11-17-2008, 10:46 AM   #16

even though this thread header is kinda misleading towards the discussion (should be changed to game/demo discussion, as it implies a hater thread)

i just finished the demo and am very pleased. the graphics and atmosphere are top notch and make it worth the purchase for me already. the facial expressions of the characters are just stunning and i like the whole art direction.

i'm playing the german voiced version and at first i was kinda taken aback as well with the french accent. however it grew on me and i really like the style now. this isn't laugh out loud comedy, but then again should it be? or should it try? its a very unique style and once you accept that thats what they're going for its a pure pleasure to play. for me at least. very unique advernture. definate must buy on my end.

theres nothing more fun than run around in a dark graveyard in an adventure game, as we've done in the past w/ monkey island. i'm hoping for more atmospheric scenery to come in this game

Last edited by tastebud; 11-17-2008 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vina View Post
Am I the only one running into a fair amount of glitches in the demo? Maybe it's just my computer...
not sure what glitches you're referring to, the only glitch i noticed is that sometimes her cape clips through some objects that are supposed to be in the foreground. minor issue.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:10 AM   #18

I love a French accent--as long as it sounds like a French accent. Mona's voice is so gratingly high it set my teeth on edge, and I got the feeling that the voice actor was speaking so high up because she was trying to imitate/parody a female French accent. It sounded like the breathy French maids in other adventure games, that are meant to be stereotypes, but ohmygod...so shrill... Even if it is a comedic adventure I don't think Mona herself is supposed to be a joke. And I played the English version, not the German, so there's probably a difference there too.

That aside, I agree with you, tastebud. The art is gorgeous, vibrant colors, atmospheric music, and the facial expressions are very detailed in the cutscenes.

Last edited by starla9; 11-17-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 11:59 AM   #19

Was looking forward to this. Played the demo for a short time (will go back to it later). First impressions:
- superb graphics (as was to be expected) and atmosphere
- the 3d characters are nicely integrated and well done
- the picture quality of the (first) cutscene was not that good though. Haven't seen the others yet.
- annoying 1 pixel white line at the edge of my screen

My biggest complaint though: whoever decided on the voice of Mona should be sacked right away and so should the person who did the voice. Seriously... I don't understand something like this.

What's there seems promising but Mona's voice might actually be the deciding factor in (not) buying this game, even at 20 euro.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:30 PM   #20
Restless Dreamer

Yay, a demo! Can't wait to see what this one's like. I'll post my impressions as soon as I can...