You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Alter Ego - Upcoming adventure by Future Games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2010, 06:33 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emx77 View Post
I had same problem on my laptop with Win7 (32 bit). The cause of problem is that game is not able to modify file "Engine.config" in game directory due lack of permissions for currently logged user. You need to give that permissions manualy. To solve problem right click on folder "Alter Ego" and then choose Properties. On newly opened window go to Security tab and Edit permissions to allow current user modification of game files. I hope this helps.
I'm using XP. The options seem to be different.
I think SecuROM just doesn't like my DVD drive.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:13 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabapple View Post
Can you access in-game menu? Does the black screen appears when you start game with click on shortcut or when you click "New game" within in-game menu?

I was able to start game via shortcut but after choosing "New game" I got black screen, just as L-Jazz described in his post. Default setup setting is that game automaticly recognize your screen resolution which is then saved in "Engine.config" file in game directory. As the setup is unable to save resolution, due lack of permission, black sceen appears. That was what happened in my case, but if you are unable to enter via shorcut at all then it could be something else.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:15 AM   #83

Just finished it. It was quite good. I found the story nice although a little bit simplistic. The graphics were great as well as the sound. It's surely not top notch but definitely not bad. I would rate it 6.5/10. I didn't like the ending though. It could be much better.

Last edited by dekaneas297; 08-13-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:16 AM   #84
Detective

The game is less than mediocre..just ok i guess? The puzzles are really too easy and it's a pain in the ass that they didn't even fix the mouth movements with the actual dialogue: closeup ruins every conversation. I hope in the future adventure games will have the monkey island option : hardcore puzzles and "normal" puzzles because it's getting ridiculous that there is no challenge with the new adventure games(no not illogical puzzles). I'm gonna go finish the game
Old 08-13-2010, 01:12 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emx77 View Post
Can you access in-game menu? Does the black screen appears when you start game with click on shortcut or when you click "New game" within in-game menu?
No I don't get as far as "New game."
I get a window that lets you choose Play, Settings, Website, or Close. I click Play and the CD spins up, the screen turns black, the CD spins down, and it just sits there forever doing nothing forever unless I Ctrl-Alt-Delete. I've tried the Settings button, testing different settings, changing resolution, using the "windowed" option, disabling vsync, turning off shadows and antialiasing... Nothing helps. And Viva-Media has not gotten back to me.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:11 PM   #86

I suppose you've tried already to turn shader off?
Old 08-14-2010, 06:24 AM   #87

Send a message via MSN to Sandman

Keep shader level: 0
and antialiazing level: 2
Old 08-14-2010, 12:54 PM   #88
Sik

Just finished the game, and it was decent enough. It had great graphics for the backgrounds, and characters looked okay, but could have done with more animations. I have no complaints about music and ambience. The voice acting was above average, in my opinion, but it was obvious the actors were often given lines without proper direction, as they often put weight on words that make sentences sound out of place. I didn't encounter any bugs that were more than a minor annoyance, and I also found the story entertaining enough, and I loved the ending... though I suspect most people will hate it. :p

My main gripe is all the lost opportunities for puzzles. I don't want to play an adventure game and have the character fix machines and search buildings for me with a single click. Heck, even a slider puzzle would have been welcome. In general, I enjoy 3rd person adventure games where most, or all puzzles are inventory based, but this game showcases this kind of game at its worst. Just click on everything and you'll get through the game faster than by actually thinking. I don't think I'd get stuck for more than 5 minutes if I played the game in Chinese (and no, I don't speak Chinese).

I'd give the game maybe a 4.5/10, but by GameSpot's standards (based on my opinion of other games they have rated) I'd easily give it a 6/10. Worth getting for those who want to spend an evening with a decent story and have already played most similar games available in the genre. It's on par with the Art of Murder and Chronicles of Mystery games in that regard. I was less annoyed with the script in Alter Ego than in than those games, but Alter Ego has even easier puzzles.
Old 08-14-2010, 01:14 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by smulan View Post
I suppose you've tried already to turn shader off?
Yes. I tried without shader. I tried without antialiasing. I tried without vsync. I tried both windowed and full screen. I tried different resolutions. No luck.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:11 AM   #90

Quote:
Have you tried updating SecuROM? I also remember there was something with secuROM and virtual drives, that is software emulated DVD drives that burning suites nowadays often offer.
Old 08-15-2010, 04:53 AM   #91

Send a message via MSN to Sandman

Quote:
Yes. I tried without shader. I tried without antialiasing. I tried without vsync. I tried both windowed and full screen. I tried different resolutions. No luck.
Which video or graphic card are you using?
Old 08-16-2010, 10:08 PM   #92

I've completed the game yesterday. At first, when I started to play, it seemed to me that this is going to be one of those "mediocre-in-every-aspect" game, but I must say that I even enjoyed it at times.

The thing I'm impressed the most with is consistency of some details, that really evoked the memories on the earlier games from this developer I've played so far, particulary "Black Mirror" and "NiBiRu". This mainly applies to the recognizable moody graphic and setting, style of voice-acting, and even to the controversial endings.

Speaking of which, the ending of this game suprised me; I really didn't see this comming, even though such ending could be expected as a sort of the tradition from FG. I know that many players will be dissapointed, but maybe this is a welcome thrill-turn comparing to the endings of some other adventures. Not to mention setting the stage for the sequel.

Gameplay is very simple, but this game is mainly drived by the story and dialogs which are IMO, solid. The tone of some actors reminds much on the "Black Mirror", which won't appeal to those who loathed this factor in that game, but I think that it fits nicely with the setting. There are no complicated and logic puzzles, but finding out what to do next is often frustrating. Several times, I've got stuck, because I didn't speak to someone about someting. BTW, the game has an useful hotspot revealer, but I tend to use those as less as possible.

For me, this game was a pleasurable filler (I'm eagerly wating for "The Lost Horizon" to be released), and I was even suprised that it even passed the line of mediocrity in my eyes. I could put it side by side with the sequel to "Black Mirror", which I also liked, because of the similar reasons.
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III
Old 08-29-2010, 11:54 PM   #93

Default alter ego

i can't start the game b'coz i got 'A problem caused the
program to stop working
correctly. Windows will close
the program and notify you if
a solution is available' .my os: windows 7.intel core2 duo 2.9 GHZ ram 1GB vga 256MB onboard asus p5kpl am se.
Old 08-30-2010, 07:45 AM   #94

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit and the game didn't gave me any errors, but, IIRC, it won't start unless I run it as an administrator. I've also noticed that running Firefox in the background interferes with the game. BTW, the configuration you listed should be enough to play Alter Ego, though I don't know it's official SR's.
Looking forward to: Hitman: Absolution, Tomb Raider, Max Payne 3, The Last Crown, Bracken Tor, Sherlock Holmes: The Testament, Secret Files III
Old 08-31-2010, 06:29 AM   #95
Schattenger

I loved this game until the very end. I felt that after a event that i won´t mention because it would spoil the game, the game felt rushed and on rails. The ending was very dark and not at all satisfying (hope for a sequel). And i´m must be dumb because i didn´t understood the name of the game with the plot told, unless a theory i have made is right.

" I Can´t use these two Things Together"

Playing: Myst 4, So Blond, Memento Mori

Next in Line: The Black Mirror, Art of Murder: Cards of Destiny

Just Finished: Alter Ego, Art of Murder: Hunt for the Puppeteer, Chronicles of Mystery: The Tree of Life, Secret Files 2
Old 09-17-2010, 04:26 AM   #96

Default Alter Ego Problem

I have played the game until I were at the cemetery door.And before I make the dog sleep and wanting to enter the cemetery the game just blocks and the character just stands in front of the gate.Can someone help me whit this problem?